My GT6 tyre philosophy

My philosophy on GT6 Tyres
I'm gonna cut straight to the chase.. I disagree with the explanations the game gives to the current tyre names! I've been racing for quite some time now (should you need proof I have no problem of providing - Fia approved Time Attack series & current lap record holder for mx5 cup category in Cyprus! Enough with formalities - this is my philosophy!

Comfort Tyres represent all the E-Marked or MOT approved or road legal tyres be it simple radials or semi slicks!

Comfort Hard: Any Tyre of about 200+ UTQG i.e Toyo T1R 240 or 280, any cheap tyre

Comfort Medium: Any High Performance Tyre but not semi slick! UTQG 100+ up to -200 Tyre that have a semi slick shoulder belong here too i.e Toyo R1R 140, Potenza RE40/50/70 (about 120-140) Advan AD08

Comfort Soft: All semi slick Tyres but still dot approved - Not ones with R compound! i.e Toyo R888 100, Pilot Sport Cup 80, Federal RSR, Nankang ns2r 120 (180 probably more suitable in CM)

Sports Hard: Semi slicks with R compound (like a slick but with grooves) Anything 80 UTQG and below i.e Hankook Z214 40, Federal Fz201, Advan AD48 60 (probably CS is better) Used Hard slicks may also belong here too..

Sports Medium: Used Slick Medium/Soft and New Slick Hard/Medium

Sports Soft: New Slicks Medium/Soft

Racing Hard and Up - Edit - I have no idea about them :/

Please Try and Comment: A good place to compare lap times is Tsukuba! Tips: Comparing true laps to gt6 is cool but always remember to check the video online or find info on tyre - you'll be amazed by how accurate some of the results might be..
Also it's a good idea to race online and have tyre/fuel depletion on. Moreover, set a lap limit i.e 10 don't go overboard and race 100 laps lol :D Have fun and share your thought and opinions!!! P.S I didn't want to give examples of my lap times because some would think I fabricated them ;)

Link to tyre rating website:
http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle Shoppers/Tires Rating

Last edited:
I disagree with the tyre depletion comment. I'm sure you would agree that a tire at 90%-80% of it's life left does not have as dramatic a drop off in performance as the tires in the game.

I can agree with the rest.

This car has ADVAN A048 (Sports Soft) in real life. In your theory that tyres are Sports Hard in GT6.
Tune this car how you want. Drive it at Tsukuba with Sports Hard tyres and check your times.

You will see that your theory is completely wrong.

And remember: Laptimes in real life are normally slower than laptimes in GT6. In Games there is no fear of damage or dead.

Last edited:
Totally agree with RaceFace. All these problems in comparing real world tires with GT tires are because of no fear in GT, so more risks, better times. Some times, far better. So, IMHO, CH are tires for modern cars <150HP, CM for <250HP, CS for <400HP (all normal groover), Sports are semi-slicks and maybe SS are closer to slicks. Older cars should get 1-2 level worse tires though to be closer to reality when they launched as tires then were far worse. Only RS are somewhat better than in real life. Only for F1 and RedBulls IMO.

There's absolutely no way an ADVAN 048 compares to Sports Soft! As I said above, it's actually closer to Comfort Softs! Alien fast players will probably manage or break that record with a good setup but what does that matter? Also, i dont know how downforce is perveived or generated in game! Take also into account that there are 3 compounds to the 048 so they probably used the softest for the TA run! This is a video of a friend in his stock NA exige with Advan AD048 (that actually come stock with the car)!

He and I agree that the feel and grip are closer to CS but heavens no, nowhere near Sports Soft - :/ I took the closest car to exige in game - the 111R with SS and OMG that is not how its suppose to handle..4 laps in and i pulled 1.01.*** in Tsukuba lol Faster than 458 Italia, ZR1, the GTR etc - seriously man that is just WRONG! ;)

Your theory is utter malarkey. :lol:Especially when you said don't use any of the racing tires. Try to replicate any LMP time with sport soft tires. IT CAN'T BE DONE.

You are probably right, I have no idea how LMP's work so I edited my post - maybe Racing tyres do work best with them maybe not !

Then try to get something close to 53.589 at Tsukuba with the HKS CT230R equipped with Comfort Soft.
Please tell us your laptimes.

The game is not perfect and as I said before, there are 3 compounds to AD48 and they probably used the softest! Exige's got the hardest compound with a UTQG of 60 - thats what i compare the CS and roughly SH with!
Also why dont you race 111R in Tsukuba and stun us with your sub 1 minute lap In Sports Softs and then say that its logical because it's a video game and you are not scared of dying? Good luck :D

I just have to say that Acura NSX '91 which in Tsukuba made 1.08 IRL, when driven in GT6 on CM (fixed the mistake about SM) does slower than 1.10. So, a tire from 20 years ago, is much faster than what OP considers as a premium road tire? No way. So, CS are premium road tires normally grooved. SH are special road tires (P-Zero Corsa etc.) which in grip resemble to hard semi-slicks. To conclude, Paganis, Lambos, Ferraris, Bugatti and the rest supercars MUST have SH or better tires to resemble their stock real life tires. Only old supercars (-80s) would be better to wear CS on due to old tech tires which then existed.

Last edited:
Compared to IRL laptimes , many street cars are too fast. One of solutions to make ride more thrilling (if you don't own real crash simulator:nervous:) is to reduce tires.

There are (few) exceptions like most of special tuner cars and some others (corvetes,zonda r , acr10 ...) that IRL run laptimes on almost non legal (semi racing) tires >CS - SM

Here are some of my laptimes compared to real world lap records on Tsukuba .

TSUKUBA.jpg

Even that I'm average driver I needed to drop tires 1 or 2 grades to run IRL records(+/- 0,3 sec). Done with DFGT,ffb 3, no assist ,clean lap .

Like said , few exceptions would be tuner,track cars... like Viper ACR'10 ,tested on Nordschleife , IRL with semi legal tires ,so I have to run It on SM to get decent 7:12. Ie.If I do It on CS (my preffered tires for street cars from 540 pp) I run It 7:30 something and even with default SH , I'm a bit short .

Link to great site with IRL laptime records > http://fastestlaps.com/

Some nice video of F1 doing hotlap on Tsukuba > car is "slow" compared to what you can run in GT6 on default SH ;). This is some extreme case of laptime discrepancy ,probably due bad weather or temperature on track.

Bottom line is , I'm downgrading tires , because I find like many others GT6 AI sometimes slow and uncompetitive. While I can't have faster AI , I can "slow down" myself by choosing less gripy tires .It makes races with AI more challenging and driving more thrilling. There is some excuse , if as a side effect of downgrading, I find laptimes more lifelike , while it may still not reproduce, what it should really feel compared to IRL.

Last edited:
I just have to say that Acura NSX '91 which in Tsukuba made 1.08 IRL, when driven in GT6 on SM does slower than 1.10. So, a tire from 20 years ago, is much faster than what OP considers as a premium road tire? No way. So, CS are premium road tires normally grooved. SH are special road tires (P-Zero Corsa etc.) which in grip resemble to hard semi-slicks. To conclude, Paganis, Lambos, Ferraris, Bugatti and the rest supercars MUST have SH or better tires to resemble their stock real life tires. Only old supercars (-80s) would be better to wear CS on due to old tech tires which then existed.

You are wrong! Do you know whether the car was perfectly set up for that track or not? Did you know that just by adjusting camber in real life can yield results of -2secs in tracks like tsukuba? Did you know that if they raced the car after an event you get extra rubber/ grip that can give at least +1 sec in tracks like tsukuba?
Temperature also makes a huge difference - very hot and the car dors not respond correctly and u are at least a second behind ot faster depending!
There are so many variables -
To sum up, There is NO WAY any legal tyre to be represented with anything but comfort tyres!
Comfort softs are road legal semi slicks - anything above is non road legal!

No point in continue arguing but times and feeling prove your theory way off. No need to say anything else. Keep your view while I keep mine.

As for the Mclaren video and time GregOr posted above, it was on the afternoon, humidityon sky and a fail-safe driving. At least 2-3 secs off pace. So, 1min very possible on nice conditions and a kamikaze driver. So, which tire reflects this time in GT6?

Last edited:
I was under the impression that Comforts were your standard road tires, Sports were semi-slicks, and Racing were slicks.

Oh and I figured hard/medium/soft just referred to the tire pressure.

I don't know much about the equivalent tire models...

Interesting theory you have though.

----

If anything above CS isn't road legal, then why are sports hard fitted to most road-legal sports cars?

I completely agree with the OP. I have a lot of random experience with different forms of racing have been involved with cars for as long as I remember. I have driven the same car with different rated tires and I do feel like ch represents a typical all season. Cs is definitely an ultra high performance summer only tire at the absolute minimum if not more. Sports tires are semi slick/ slicks. Race tires are purpose made such as f1 tires and not available to the public or mass produced. Ss would represent the highest grade slick available to the average racer. Even at that it would probably just be a qualifying/ time attack tire. Couple laps and then greasy as heck.

PD did as best they could with selecting default tires for each car. It wouldn't make sense to put Comfort tires on a supercar, just like it wouldn't make sense for Daihatsu to equip their Move with Sport tires.

My theory is, if you're looking for a one-tire-fits-all option, the way to go would be Sport Hard. That way even the fastest cars are somewhat manageable.

I wouldn't put SH tires and slicks in the same sentence. I'd call them ultra/extreme high-performance summer tires.

LOLWUT_Pear.jpg
I just have to say that Acura NSX '91 which in Tsukuba made 1.08 IRL, when driven in GT6 on SM does slower than 1.10. So, a tire from 20 years ago, is much faster than what OP considers as a premium road tire? No way. So, CS are premium road tires normally grooved. SH are special road tires (P-Zero Corsa etc.) which in grip resemble to hard semi-slicks. To conclude, Paganis, Lambos, Ferraris, Bugatti and the rest supercars MUST have SH or better tires to resemble their stock real life tires. Only old supercars (-80s) would be better to wear CS on due to old tech tires which then existed.
I've managed under 1:11 in the '91 NSX at Tsukuba on CH with a controller and room for improvement if I can just keep it pointed straight coming out of that last hairpin--there is no way in Hell a five-fold reduction in compound accounts for that discrepancy. And before you talk about that "fear factor," consider that there's boundless factors that a driver can feel and react to long before they see them...a luxury that one lacks sitting in front of a television holding a piece of plastic.
That said--why couldn't ythis theory have been posted as a response in that other thread discussing tire grades instead of getting its own dedicated thread?

Last edited:
Comfort tires in GT6 are much worse than tires in real-life. Even the most basic highway tires I've used feel like Sports Hard tires in GT.

Comfort tires in GT6 are much worse than tires in real-life. Even the most basic highway tires I've used feel like Sports Hard tires in GT.

I don't want to be condescending or anything but some comments like this one - with no argument to back it whatsoever - are a load of bull! Have you ever tried taking your road car to the track? There's no way you can exceed tyre grip limits on the road unless you are crazy or suicidal and should be locked behind bars.. Really, how did you figure out that even basic road tyres feel like Sports Hards?

Check out this telemetry taken from a track day a few days ago:

2prcv28.jpg

This is actuall an off competition record lap in the Mx5 Cup category in Achna Speedway Cyprus with my mx5 equipped with Toyo R888 semi slicks!
See the lowest speeds? 63, 56, 58 and even a 47km/l !!!! On a track!!! And it's a record lap!!! With semi slicks!!!! I cannot stress enough how wrong your comment is!
**Bytheway google earth is not very synced with gps lol but you get my point! You wouldnt expect 47km with semi slicks would you????

I suspect this 47kph is very low. The corners just before the split 1 & 2 marks are almost the same. Except if the camber of the road is opposite just to make it difficult. 11-15kph speed difference on an almost same corner is a little too big. Congrats for the record but I am sure you had better speeds in this specific apex. More than 50. Probably 53-55 kph.

@TexRex :As for the NSX's laptime in Tsukuba, 1m08secs (RL laptime) are not achievable with GT6's CM tires without aids (only ABS=1) and with real grip on edges of the track.

@Rotorist - Truth is I was just using the Note II internal GPS and not an external 10hz Gps so not 100% accurate but about 90%+

P.S - it's not the same corner :P in corner 2 the approach is easier while in 8 (the 47km one) there is a lot of weight transition from previous corner --> You turn left then right into the ladt turning before the straight! It doesnt seem much, but that's the most dangerous corner in my opinion - a lot of car go off track there myself included a few times ;)

Last edited:
PD did as best they could with selecting default tires for each car. It wouldn't make sense to put Comfort tires on a supercar, just like it wouldn't make sense for Daihatsu to equip their Move with Sport tires.

My theory is, if you're looking for a one-tire-fits-all option, the way to go would be Sport Hard. That way even the fastest cars are somewhat manageable.

I wouldn't put SH tires and slicks in the same sentence. I'd call them ultra/extreme high-performance summer tires.
With a wheel, most cars are easily drivable on CS tires. What I mean by drivable is getting around the track with some pace, but for faster cars and certainly your Supercars, difficult to drive at the limit. Driving at the limit is much easier on SH tires IMO and I believe driving at the limit should be much more difficult than it is in the game, with a much different risk/reward tradeoff. That's what's missing with Sports Tires IMO, they are simply too easy to drive fast. I'm not talking about laptimes, just how easy they are to drive at the limit. I don't think it should be as easy as it is to drive a supercar around 'Ring on Sports Hards.

Having said that I do understand why things are the way they are, the game is designed to appeal to casual players and many of them have trouble on anything less than racing tires on every car.

I don't want to be condescending or anything but some comments like this one - with no argument to back it whatsoever - are a load of bull! Have you ever tried taking your road car to the track? There's no way you can exceed tyre grip limits on the road unless you are crazy or suicidal and should be locked behind bars.. Really, how did you figure out that even basic road tyres feel like Sports Hards?

I have safely pushed my truck and other vehicles I've driven to the limit at times. Does having fun driving make me a criminal?

This is actuall an off competition record lap in the Mx5 Cup category in Achna Speedway Cyprus with my mx5 equipped with Toyo R888 semi slicks!
See the lowest speeds? 63, 56, 58 and even a 47km/l !!!! On a track!!! And it's a record lap!!! With semi slicks!!!! I cannot stress enough how wrong your comment is!
**Bytheway google earth is not very synced with gps lol but you get my point! You wouldnt expect 47km with semi slicks would you????

Alright, so you are saying my argument in invalid when the only support you have is lap speeds with ONE CAR on ONE TRACK with one type of tire. I don't know what to think about your 47 km/h considering you haven't stated the length of the corner or the banking or the straight before it. I don't know this track so I have no reaction to the 47 km/h claim. Even if I did, for all I know you weren't driving your car at the fastest it could go. Your argument is just as under supported as mine.

And good grief, use correct grammar.

I really don't think the TVR Cerbera Speed 12 should ever be equipped with Comfort tires unless you're out for a cruise and not a hot lap. It weighs 1,020 kg with 800 hp and 650 ft-lbs.

That's just 2.8 lbs/hp...Quite possibly the best/lowest in the game for a non-racecar.

There's no way you can exceed tyre grip limits on the road unless you are crazy or suicidal and should be locked behind bars..

If you have an older car on narrow non-performance tyres, it's relatively easy to exceed the limits of grip at road speeds.

1990 MX5 on 205/55 R15 Kumho KH17s. Relatively easy to kick the back out in any roundabout if you know what you're doing. Very easy to under or oversteer at well under the speed limit when you're tearing through the windy stuff. Don't even get me started about when it's raining.

I've had the car on the track as well, which is why I know the limits well enough to know that I can do that at road speeds.

@Imari - I know you can do that on the street but there's no point since you can go crazy on the track :P

@JMoney689 you might be right about that corner it did seem a bit slow so I found the data from a competition lap (have in mind there's more grip because of the rubber from race cars :D)

a1000j.jpg

You are welcome to join for the 4th Time Attack - I'll have a good 10hz gps by then so the telemetry will (must) be more accurate ;)

wat0xw.jpg

@JMoney689 - I never said I have experience with only one car and one track! With same car I have also tried Toyo T1Rs and R1Rs! (Taking this with a grain of salt, the only way to explain the difference in grip is to go CM with R1R and CS with T1R)! Unfortunately, as the game does not provide us the real equivalent tyres we try to make do with what we have! Sonetimes the feeling of grip comes between two types available in game and sometimes you cannot tell or cannot be sure which one is closer to real life! As I said before, there are many more variants in real life that determine the grip a car has in a given day! What I'm trying to prove is that semi slicks and even slicks are still tyres and not rails! They have limits you can easily overcome and although they can mask some of your car's handling defficiencies the car still remains a hazard near the limit! Would you believe that a stock BMW CSL can easily burn out through SLICKS in corners if you are not careful? I'm talking about SLICKS - fully competition SLICKS like the ones race cars have! Check out this video with Costas driving the CSL with Slicks in Achna Speedway! Then check out this race prepped Suzuki Ignis with cheap Chinese Tyres - watch for about 1 min please and you'll see what I mean!
- even CH's are too much for it :D

Apologies about my grammar - I'm not a native English speaker so you are welcome to correct me (not just judge me) anytime ;)

@Imari - I know you can do that on the street but there's no point since you can go crazy on the track :P

I agree completely.

But unless you have very sticky tyres and/or a very underpowered car, it's completely reasonable to have experienced the full range of what road tyres have to offer, completely legally and safely. As such, I took exception to you implying that others should bow to your superior knowledge just because they haven't been on a track.

Of course, the user you were replying to was wrong, Sports Hards are indeed something approaching a semi-slick in most cases. Examining real life telemetry and what little telemetry is available in GT6 is enough to be reasonable proof of that.

Back