My triple screen office rig: 46" 55" 46" Tv lift & Carbon fiber Dashboard + GS-4 Seat

• Thread starter HoiHman
  • 528 comments
Although i was pretty happy at first with my Flat1 rim, not being able to use it with my display started bothering me.

The small size of the rim blocks the display on top of the CSWv2 and because of that i hardly used it anymore.

dGaRJjU.jpg

Today i got the idea of modding the Flat1 rim and cutting the part that blocks the display out.

When i started modding the rim, i was afraid this might not end well. Cutting the rim, plugging the new ends and working with suede was something i have never done before.

But everything worked out great and the result is better than expected :)

First i started with taking the rim off the hub and protecting it with plastic. There's a seam on the inside of the rim and it was pretty easy to pull off the suede. After cutting it in the middle, i could peel it to the left and to the right.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I used a hacksaw to cut out the middle part. After that i glued the suede back onto the rim.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I cut out a suede piece for the new end from the suede that was left over from the middle part and glued it on the rim

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Happy to report that i can now use all my wheels (including the Flat1 rim) in combitation with the display

wD7JXUb.jpg

Nicely done! What's the inside of the Flat1 rim made of? Is it plastic? Rubber? Dense foam? Is there a metal frame inside?

Thx.

The inside of the rim is made of a iron U-shaped frame, covered with rubber (see picture 4 & 5 above)

Thx Steve :)

As it turns out, i'm not done yet..............

Big steering wheel upgrade comming in april/may :

AccuForce%20-%20No%20Logo.jpg

hey nice!! :D:D:bowdown:

i'm thinking of ordering also with the release of pCars. :lol: don't like the rimlogo though..:indiff:

Thx Steve :)

As it turns out, i'm not done yet..............

Big steering wheel upgrade comming in april/may :

AccuForce%20-%20No%20Logo.jpg

So the CSWv2 wasn't enough, Henk? :P
I hope you enjoy your new toy when it arrives. It is beyond my budget.

hey nice!! :D:D:bowdown:

i'm thinking of ordering also with the release of pCars. :lol: don't like the rimlogo though..:indiff:

Don't like the rim logo either. It will be replaced by an original BMW logo.

So the CSWv2 wasn't enough, Henk? :P
I hope you enjoy your new toy when it arrives. It is beyond my budget.

The CSWv2 is still awesome Chris, but i'm missing effects that i feel in the GS-4 seat and simvibe and the ability to finetune my wheel. I will keep it for the consoles though and as a backup.

No rush, it won't be here untill april/may. I'm still perfectly happy with CSWv2

The main reason for me to want an AccuForce is what Shawn explains here at 8:35

Seriously:
Shaun should get a commission for each wheel sold, because his video is a 26 minutes commercial for the AccuForce. His enthousiasm made me get out of bed a 2:30 in the night and order one :)

Thinking about another big and final upgrade........

I have been working very hard on my rig for the last couple of weeks. Trying to accomplisch the impossible:

Building a non permanent motionrig SimX style.

I contacted SimXperience and mailed them my sketchup design, asking if this was even possible. I have a very small footprint and different angles than a normal Stage 1 rig.

I was very excited when i got the answer : Yes, it can be done

I ordered a SX4000 DIY kit with the powerfull SCN6 40Kfg acculators and a lot of aluminium profiles. I found an adress were i could a get all the steel parts i needed watercut to my specs.

I welded my own acculator holders and made and extendable motion rig, without affecting the seat angle.

My first real run today was on the Ring in Assetto Corsa with the Nissan GTR. Using only the default SimX profile, it already feels like simracing heaven :)

I'm very much impressed by the results. The combination of the GS4 with the SCN6 is superb. I still have to hook up the 8 buttkickers. I'm haven't changed a single thing in the default motion profile yet. I was just enjoying the ride :)

Beside the sound of the acculators, the rig is totally silent. No rattling sounds at all. Eventhough it has a small footprint, the rubber isolators keep the rig very solid on the ground.

Before i had my motion rig, my build-up time for getting my office race ready was 8 minutes. Because i made several opitimisations in the building up process, i can now manage to build up the rig with motion under 8 minutes.

Very happy to say that adding motion did not have a negative impact on my building up time...

Here are some picures of the rig:

hHcRAdmt.jpg

These rear stabilizers keep the rig front dancing around. They are adjustable in two different ways

9fO6D2I.jpg

This reïnforcement plate is for protecting the seat rails from the forces of the SCN6 acculators. With the 2 handscrews i can fasten the top and bottom profiles together, relieving the stress on the seat rails

tjFkn0U.jpg

This pictures illustrates how thight space is, this was the biggest challenge in this build

Unscrew the 2 handscrews on the side and the 2 stabilisers on the rear and within 15 seconds i can slide the entire rig forward, giving acces to both doors

The new shiftermount also houses the handbrake and emergency stop button. The shifter mount is secured to the desk with one handscrew which eliminates all movement. This shifter mount is as solid as a rock, doesn't matter how hard you pull on it, it's doesn't move a milimeter. It also acts as an anker for the bottom part of the rig.

yu1zftdY.jpg

Still some stuf to do, but making very good progress.....

Last edited:
Thanks Guys :)

I have now come to terms that my rig probably never will be fininshed. A couple of weeks ago i ordered the new DSD shifter and i'm really looking forward to add it to my rig:

8176553_orig.jpg

Will still keep the CSS for the XB1. Shifters are mounted with handscrews and changing them will take less than a minute...

Last edited:
Nice !

Do you plan to switch to an Accuforce ?

Yes, i already have one on order. Delivery April / May

I removed the clutch pedal from my CSPv2 today, i have never used it.
Should have done this years ago

DSC07075.jpg

@HoiHman

That's mad stuff, Henk. Glad you were able to find a way to get those actuators in there.
I don't know about the pedals though. Especially since the brake in a full automatic car isn't in the clutch position either, which I am sure you know.

ps. Sorry I haven't been in touch much lately. My grandmother passed away and thus I was busy with the aftermath of that. Now I am sore as hell after throwing with couches, chairs and cabinets since they have to go across a high rail here at the garbage dump into separate containers.

Never ever use the clutch guys. The CSS is, like Gunstar mentioned, used in the sequential mode.

Perhaps it might change in the future, but i highly doubt it.

@chris, the brake is not in the clutch postion, it's somewhere between the clutch and original brake position. I just moved it a couple of CM to the left. Why ?

My left leg is now straight and it puts a lot less strain on my back during heavy braking.

You don't always have to compare it to a road car. It's more formula car style like this:

tumblr_inline_mm6g232XqB1qz4rgp.png

PS: No hard feelings here, condolences with your grandmothter. Send me a PM when you ready for it.

Still exploring the new build rig and learning every day.

I really wanted a rock solid shifter mount, that doesn't wobble at all. My solution was securing the top of the shiftermount to the desk with a handscrew.

Now i can push, pull any direction i want and it won't even move a milimeter. This handscrew and one at the bottomleft at the pedals are now all that is needed to securely mount the seat part of the rig.

I have discovered cool side affect of his solution

The other i was playing PCARS for the first time in weeks again. I thought : " Nice...They have added engine vibration in the FFB of the wheel" The feeling was subtle, but clearly present and just the way i like it.

Turns out that it wasn't PCARS but the vibrations of the buttkicker on the shiftermount now go through the desk and into the wheel 👍

Still exploring the new build rig and learning every day.

I really wanted a rock solid shifter mount, that doesn't wobble at all. My solution was securing the top of the shiftermount to the desk with a handscrew.

Now i can push, pull any direction i want and it won't even move a milimeter. This handscrew and one at the bottomleft at the pedals are now all that is needed to securely mount the seat part of the rig.

I have discovered cool side affect of his solution

The other i was playing PCARS for the first time in weeks again. I thought : " Nice...They have added engine vibration in the FFB of the wheel" The feeling was subtle, but clearly present and just the way i like it.

Turns out that it wasn't PCARS but the vibrations of the buttkicker on the shiftermount now go through the desk and into the wheel 👍

Which is the way it's supposed to be. Engine vibrations go through the chassis and/or the actual construction of the steering components. It does not influence the steering rack and pinion motion in a real car.

In essence the FFB Motor+Position Sensor are what replace the pinion inside the steering housing. The actual rack movement is the FFB signal. Namely due to force upon the tie-rods is what causes the rack in the steering housing to move, which is simulated in the Physics engines of games and than translated to a FFB signal that tells the FFB motor to turn counterclockwise or clockwise (so in the same sense that like the rack movement (signal) causing the pinion to rotated counterclockwise or clockwise (motor movement)).

Any vibration of kerbs or other suspension impacts should come from the Buttkickers and through your chassis into the wheel and so on.
Yes, of course coarse/big curbs upset the wheel as well. It's just that the impact energy is coming through suspension and than into the chassis instead, until it 'rings out'/dissipates.

Anyway, what I was getting at is that if you use the FFB motor for vibrations than you just end up influencing the wheel position in-game. In other words on a Physics level the tyres would turn left and right at an as high speed as the engine vibration it is simulating through the wheel. Which does influence car behavior no matter how little, because the position sensors in our wheels are really accurate these days and the physics engines even more so.

Yes, i already have one on order. Delivery April / May

I removed the clutch pedal from my CSPv2 today, i have never used it.
Should have done this years ago

DSC07075.jpg

Can you send me some measurements of the tubes (size/lengths) you used to do this? I want to do the same thing with my CSPv1.

I added a 25mm spacer to right of the gas pedal next to the orginal tube. I used the original tubing between the gaspedal and the brake, but without the clutch and replaced the tube to the left of the brake pedal with a 35mm one.

Last edited:
Dirt2 is just one of those games that i keep getting back to whenever i have something new on my rig.

Here's a small video i made of the motion seat in a Dirt2 trailblazer stage. The sense of speed on the triple screens, combined with the motion is really awesome.

Almost terrifying......... :)

Back