NASCAR 2012 Thread

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 9,370 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
GTPorsche
It's 100% FI from 2012. Otherwise there would have been no point in testing it at every test session towards the end of the 2011 season.

Wow, did not realize this. For whatever reason I thought it was 2013. I'm just a bit interested how it will change the racing if any. Probably won't change much, but you never know. Gas mileage, engine durability, bad fuel injector, sensor malfunction.:lol: These don't sound like normal NASCAR talk. At least not yet.

I believe the fuel mileage vs carburetor isn't going to be much different.

As for the larger tires, Jack Roush is probably more concerned about having to spend more money to keep up with Hendrick, but everyone would have to spend more on tires so I'm not sure what his actual concern was. The drivers who tested the tire had liked them and there were no problems in testing those tires.

I was thinking the other day about something, and the front page of NASCAR.com today kind of reminded me about it.

Would NASCAR be a bit more interesting if they had pit stops similar to other forms of motorsports? We're talking about cutting pit stop times from ~13 seconds to about 3-4 seconds.

Do you think they'll have to adopt this type of pit stop in the future?

How would they be able to do that though? The only way F1 gets away with it is because they don't refuel at a pit stop. I would think it would take quite a bit to get 23? gallons of fuel in in 4 seconds, unless you mean just a tire change. In that case, you'd see more fuel mileage racing than anything, as everyone would simply not take fuel and use the track position to their advantage.

Yeah, meant without fuel sorry.

Still, question stands. Are the F1/LeMans/Touring Car/DTM style pit stops the future for NASCAR?

Yeah, meant without fuel sorry.

Still, question stands. Are the F1/LeMans/Touring Car/DTM style pit stops the future for NASCAR?

It would be difficult. Remember the fact that there are rules that pretty much prevent the cutting down of stop times.

1. All tires must be brought back over the wall before the car leaves the box. In F1 the tires just need to be removed from the pit box.
2. They use a gas can man. If they could use a hose that connects to a tank it would be quicker.
3. (MOST IMPORTANT) NASCAR uses a 5 lug-nut connected wheel where as the other series use a center (one lug-nut?) wheel. Unless NASCAR adopts that the stops will on average take about 5 times longer (and using the current measure that's about right).

Those are all things that could change though, and may need to. Honestly, the way the stops are done right now, to me, is pretty old-school. Pretty much every other form of motorsport does it the other way, so I think sometime in the not too distant future we'll start seeing some of that stuff trickle over to NASCAR.

Those are all things that could change though, and may need to. Honestly, the way the stops are done right now, to me, is pretty old-school. Pretty much every other form of motorsport does it the other way, so I think sometime in the not too distant future we'll start seeing some of that stuff trickle over to NASCAR.

People wanted change in NASCAR and it became a mess. I'd rather have 90's racing with the safety features any day over what we have now.

Maybe the possible new wheels will have new nuts? That seems like something which should be open to innovation; pit stops.

Such a change seems far too radical for NASCAR.

It's a bit like Soyuz, really. Why fix it if it isnt broken?

Because it's better than the current system and makes bigger rims easier to follow up on instead of going to a five lug nut style. I see what you're saying and I always end up agreeing with you.

It is too radical for nascar, but if they went the way of Supercar V8s I think it'd benefit them much more in the long run.

I just don't see them sticking with the current system forever. Things will change, just wonder what and when.

Because it's better than the current system and makes bigger rims easier to follow up on instead of going to a five lug nut style. I see what you're saying and I always end up agreeing with you.

It is too radical for nascar, but if they went the way of Supercar V8s I think it'd benefit them much more in the long run.

Oh, I think they should also. But the way things appear to be ran right now... Not happening.

Le Mans, and GT racing make changes I think based on successful series around the world. Grand-Am rules are influenced to some extent by the FIA/ACO rules, because of the similarities. Same with DTM and Super GT. But NASCAR, to my knowledge, is the only series like it in the world. thus, they aren't pressured to keep up with other series in terms of technology. So, they really dont need to do anything, because their audience is set, they have nothing to gain by making it more like someone elses race series.

Whats the problem with 5 lug wheels? if anything its the only thing nascar has similarly in common with street cars. I do agree the gascan needs to be gone for safety reasons, but the rest doesnt need to change at all.

Whats the problem with 5 lug wheels? if anything its the only thing nascar has similarly in common with street cars. I do agree the gascan needs to be gone for safety reasons, but the rest doesnt need to change at all.

Because it makes for easier pit stops and would eliminate other issues with tires during and prior to pit stops. I also think jack stands should dissapear in favor of what is used by other racin series, like Supercar V8s. Supercar V8s is one of a few stock car series that are closer to stock car than Nascar.

Because it makes for easier pit stops and would eliminate other issues with tires during and prior to pit stops. I also think jack stands should dissapear in favor of what is used by other racin series, like Supercar V8s. Supercar V8s is one of a few stock car series that are closer to stock car than Nascar.

Even Aussie V8's have to Start with their base model. Sure, you can modify them to hell, but you essentially have the same frame.

Even Aussie V8's have to Start with their base model. Sure, you can modify them to hell, but you essentially have the same frame.

Exactly something Nascar doesn't have. Which is why I'd rather see this in Sprint cup and Nationwide series

In what year did they loose sight of the "Stock" Part?

I think that in this day in age, it would be hard to get NASCAR back to a Stock-base without losing viewership, because the speeds would be lower. Also, Toyota would have to either build a V8 Camry (Do it, please. My parents would so buy one), Switch to the IS-F, or just be plain screwed. Dodge Charger, Chevy (ehh... whats their 4-door now-a-days?), and a Ford Taurus/Fusion V8 would make a pretty neat series to watch I think. But at those speeds, the Aero makes a huge difference, which is why they probably like everything close to the same for everyone.

They don't need to go back to stock chassis. I think converting the current cars to use the airjack system wouldn't be that hard. A center lock wheel would be nice, but not completely necessary.

And now that they are using electronic fuel injection starting this year, adapting the cars to use a similar speed limiter that other series use shouldn't be that hard either.

I'm pretty sure I've seen or heard someone from NASCAR explain why they don't use air jacks or center lug rims. I like the current pit stops. Mixes things up a bit.

By the way, has anyone been to Atlanta Motor Speedway? If so what are the best seats?

Also BK ftw. I couldn't post in a NASCAR thread without saying that.

In what year did they loose sight of the "Stock" Part?

I think that in this day in age, it would be hard to get NASCAR back to a Stock-base without losing viewership, because the speeds would be lower. Also, Toyota would have to either build a V8 Camry (Do it, please. My parents would so buy one), Switch to the IS-F, or just be plain screwed. Dodge Charger, Chevy (ehh... whats their 4-door now-a-days?), and a Ford Taurus/Fusion V8 would make a pretty neat series to watch I think. But at those speeds, the Aero makes a huge difference, which is why they probably like everything close to the same for everyone.

Around the time when the "Aerowar" began, which was 88 or 89.

They don't need to go back to stock chassis. I think converting the current cars to use the airjack system wouldn't be that hard. A center lock wheel would be nice, but not completely necessary.

And now that they are using electronic fuel injection starting this year, adapting the cars to use a similar speed limiter that other series use shouldn't be that hard either.

All things that Jack Roush would complain about being too expensive and wouldn't make any difference. :lol:

I love going to the races, sitting across from pit road and watching the pit stops. Part of the fun.

All the fancy air jack stuff would just mean extra $ that teams need to spend, and Nascar is trying to keep costs down so the smaller teams can be competitive. Don't see it happening.

Personally I think they should go the other way and ditch the air wrenches for some hand operated lug wrenches.

Four tires and fuel in 10 minutes! :dopey:

Idk, i just find it so funny having all you guys come here taking about on how to improve pit stops, when in reality they do pitstops just as if not faster than other racing series who also have to refuel a 18 gallon fuel cell (which they dont even have pressurized tanks to help refuel faster, yes im talking about you dtm and f1). You guys are changing things for the sake of changing them. Pit stops are one of the few things nascar has about their heritage. Just let them damn be as they are.

Id much rather see the cars turn into supermodded street cars than change the pit stops. And theres more than enough winnd tunnel testing that can find a way to make them equal to where it wouldnt matter much.

Where you are wrong is that NASCAR is allowed to fuel the car while the tires are being changed. Most other forms of motorsport are not allowed to do this. Hence, why their stops are just as long if not longer.

In my opinion, I think NASCAR could benefit from changing some things and pit stops are one of them. Because, let's be honest, Do you see them doing pit stops the same way in 10-15 years? I'll bet you $50 that in that time they make some of the changes we have been talking about.

NASCAR does own the Grand Am series. There's no reason why they can't learn from the sports car racing crowd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back