NASCAR 2012 Thread

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 9,370 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
We may find out what the others look like soon.

Jayski.com
2013 cars to be tested at Homestead: All four 2013 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series car models are scheduled to be tested at Homestead-Miami Speedway February 1st&in a test that will apparently be closed. That may be the first time crewmen get to see all four models. Why is NASCAR, and its big marketing operation, taking such seemingly a low-keyed approach? Apparently because the sanctioning body has not yet 'aero-matched' the four models in the wind tunnel. Ford is billing its new model as a Fusion (not Mustang, as once planned), and when the car maker officially unveiled its 2013 street version, it was then free to take the wraps off the NASCAR version which is decidedly different from the current Sprint Cup model, the still controversial and not greatly liked by many car-of-tomorrow. Chevrolet, for example, still hasn't officially named its model for its 2013 NASCAR Cup racer.(MikeMulhern.net)(1-25-2012)

I hope Chevy goes with the Malibu, would look awesome.

800px-20111023_chevrolet_malibu_1.jpg

Chevy originally used the Malibu on the COT but decided the Impala would be better as it was in direct market competition with what the other manufacturers were using.

That headlight looks like an odd mashup of a M-B and a BMW.

Looks like an Aston from the front :drool: However, one of the massive mistakes NASCAR/The manufacturers have always made, in my opinion, is basing their race cars off of crappy street cars (e.i. the Camry, Impala, Fusion). Dodge has it okay, but everyone else... well, not so much. The real Ford Fusion that the 2013 prototype is based off of is one of the worst looking, under achieving, underpowered, vanilla, and most useless new car I've ever seen. In fact the real one is so ugly I decided to contain it in the link I posted below so that you may view at your own risk.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/var/ezf...S/spy-ford-fusion-005_gallery_image_large.jpg

I understand and appreciate that people are entitled to their opinions, but looking at the picture you posted... I know you HAVE to be a troll. The new Fusion looks like a budget Aston Martin, which isn't a bad thing in my opinion. All the sedans are going to four cylinders and what better engine to have than Ford's 2.0 Ecoboost? You really consider this car to be vanilla? When I look at what it's up against, this is one of the most exciting and captivating-ly styled mid-size sedans that's going to hit the market. But it's all opinion.

Oh and that picture is a European Mondeo-bodied test mule, which really makes me wonder if you're being serious? Text doesn't always transfer humor well, so forgive me.

Chevy originally used the Malibu on the COT but decided the Impala would be better as it was in direct market competition with what the other manufacturers were using.

That headlight looks like an odd mashup of a M-B and a BMW.

They never used the Malibu. They switched from the Monte Carlo to the Impala SS and then from the Impala SS to the Impala.

Looks like an Aston from the front :drool: However, one of the massive mistakes NASCAR/The manufacturers have always made, in my opinion, is basing their race cars off of crappy street cars (e.i. the Camry, Impala, Fusion). Dodge has it okay, but everyone else... well, not so much. The real Ford Fusion that the 2013 prototype is based off of is one of the worst looking, under achieving, underpowered, vanilla, and most useless new car I've ever seen. In fact the real one is so ugly I decided to contain it in the link I posted below so that you may view at your own risk.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/var/ezf...S/spy-ford-fusion-005_gallery_image_large.jpg

Thats the last generation Mondeo:

fordmondeofotoshowimage.jpg

fordmondeoinnenraumfoto.jpg

^^The real deal.

Edit: I didn't see your post Snaeper. Sorry.

Wow I really hope the 2013 Cars get to look like that , that New Car Shape is way better than the Current Boxy thing on wheels

Just a Shame at some point they'll be in the pits gettting hit with Deadblow Hammers an covered in Gaffa Tape after a wreck :P

They may have sold aston martin to TATA, but they still take design ques from them :sly:

This is what I've been saying the cup cars should look like, they look like a race variant of their road car counter parts. It is great to see this.

Wow, that's a great-looking car.

I know right, and you saying it makes me (seriously) feel good about Nascar. Finally we have stock cars that actually look like the production model. Now I wont have to keep saying how Nascar should follow the stock car model of V8 Supercars.

There's been a bit of talk in Australia recently that the Ford Falcon and Holden Commodore could be discontinued because they're simply not selling. I don't think they really have a replacement vehicle in mind, but I could see the Fusion coming over here (possibly rebadged as something else). It would look good as a V8 Supercar, even if it can only be bought in an inline-four.

There's been a bit of talk in Australia recently that the Ford Falcon and Holden Commodore could be discontinued because they're simply not selling. I don't think they really have a replacement vehicle in mind, but I could see the Fusion coming over here (possibly rebadged as something else). It would look good as a V8 Supercar, even if it can only be bought in an inline-four.

I didn't know that about both of them. I guess gas is just too much to keep them around.

They may have sold aston martin to TATA, but they still take design ques from them :sly:

This is what I've been saying the cup cars should look like, they look like a race variant of their road car counter parts. It is great to see this.

Aston Martin was bought by David Richards, it was JLR that was sold to Tata.

There's been a bit of talk in Australia recently that the Ford Falcon and Holden Commodore could be discontinued because they're simply not selling.

I read an article the other day that said Ford is sticking with the RWD Falcon for at least another 5 years.

I read an article the other day that said Ford is sticking with the RWD Falcon for at least another 5 years.

And I heard that the Commodore might be going more upmarket, since it might be using Cadillac underpinnings (if it wants to stay RWD) and since the expensive/high performance Commodore's are the ones that haven't seen a sales decrease.

Time will tell!

Aston Martin was bought by David Richards, it was JLR that was sold to Tata.

GOTMAXPOWER thanks, I get them mixed up from time to time. Either way the new ford looks like it could be an aston or jag, they both have that cat fish like front end.

Elliott Sadler will be in the 33 for the 500 with Brendan Gaughan doing races 2-5. Guessing plans after that depend on sponsors.

Really was hoping Vickers would be in the car, really hope he can find a ride but it's looking doubtful.:nervous:

Pretty sure him driving immaturely didn't really help his case.

Vickers will have to humble himself more than Kurt Busch is doing in order to get a ride. He may be better off going to the trucks.

Justin
Thankfully the 24 is this weekend or I would go insane from the waiting.:lol:

I know. Daytona not till last weekend in February, ugh. Why is it so late? Did they lose some off weekends? Haven't checked schedule.

Elliott Sadler will be in the 33 for the 500 with Brendan Gaughan doing races 2-5. Guessing plans after that depend on sponsors.

Really was hoping Vickers would be in the car, really hope he can find a ride but it's looking doubtful.:nervous:

Why? Vickers acts like he's some great driver out there but has hardly anything to show for it. Him going out and making a crash fest two races in a row along with his attitude about it doesn't do him any favors. I've watched Vicker from his start all the way back at Hendrick and he's been quite sub-par.

Why? Vickers acts like he's some great driver out there but has hardly anything to show for it. Him going out and making a crash fest two races in a row along with his attitude about it doesn't do him any favors. I've watched Vicker from his start all the way back at Hendrick and he's been quite sub-par.

I'm fully aware he is nothing more than a mid-pack driver who occasionally has a good run, he is surely better than Brendan Gaughan though who hasn't done worth noticing outside of the truck series.

I'm fully aware he is nothing more than a mid-pack driver who occasionally has a good run, he is surely better than Brendan Gaughan though who hasn't done worth noticing outside of the truck series.

I have to agree with you there, but there are plenty of other drivers that would be a great pick, especially some of the younger guys like Dillon.

Gaughan brings a sponsor, Vickers apparently would drive sponsors away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back