NASCAR 2012 Thread

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 9,370 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha... What if there's two no-times in a crash.
I just realized, if I were a network that covered NASCAR, and you were a commentator, you would be fired. Everyone would be lost haha.

"Oh and we have no time and no time battling for the lead! Oh but here comes no time to challenge them!!".
lol

Ever notice when Gordon, Johnson, or Stewart are up front battling each other, the announcers call each driver out by how many championships they've won? "4-TIME, 5-TIME, 3-TIME" -One of the announcers at the budshootout

I wonder which One-Time will rise to the occasion, and take their place with the TWO-TIME CHAMPIONS. Terry Lobonte, Ned Jarret, Bud Baker etc...Sheesh too bad theirs only 3 full-time One-Timers.

Last edited:
Penalties to the #48 have been overturned. Monetary fines remain.

Maybe it's time that NASCAR get someone to head that aspect of appeals that wasn't a former GM executive. I bet Hendrick knew exactly what would happen if they took it to that level.

Bruton Smith is considering repaving and returning Bristol to the way it was before the progressive banking

I think they absolutely have to, seeing Bristol half full is shameful. The fans have spoken and apparently the change is cheap, around $1 million

GTPorsche
Penalties to the #48 have been overturned. Monetary fines remain.

Maybe it's time that NASCAR get someone to head that aspect of appeals that wasn't a former GM executive. I bet Hendrick knew exactly what would happen if they took it to that level.

Do they get the points back? I think that the penalities were fair and should have been given to the 48

First off, I finally found out the particulars of the violation. http://www.scenedaily.com/news/articles/sprintcupseries/Hendrick_Motorsports_set_to_make_last-ditch_appeal_Tuesday.html
NASCAR confiscated the C-posts, the body work that runs from the roof of the car to the rear quarter panel, during opening-day inspection at Daytona Feb. 17 and determined that the C-posts violated rules regulating unapproved aerodynamic adjustments related to the streamlining of the contour of the car.
Hendrick and Knaus have said that NASCAR’s car templates should have been placed on the car. They have documentation they say backs up their claim that the same C-posts passed inspections in 2011.

Darby has said the violation lies outside the templates and that NASCAR inspectors did not like what they saw in the C-posts and then confiscated them after using gauges that determined they could not be made to comply with the rules without removing them.
In the past, unapproved parts has often resulted in fines AND points taken away, like with Waltrip's carburetor many years ago at Daytona. Furthermore, the fact that the violations were outside the templates may have implied an intentional act to gain an advantage, hoping NASCAR wouldn't notice it during their inspection.

Frankly, the fact that they are getting away with only a monetary fine given that the 48 has had prior incidents is:

220px-Bologna_lunch_meat_style_sausage.JPG

Do they get the points back? I think that the penalities were fair and should have been given to the 48

Only the monetary fines remain.

Edit: Not only should the penalties remained, they should have increased. This was the same car that Chad told Jimmie to "smash up the rear" of it if he won the Talladega race last fall. Hendrick had said the only thing that changed was the paint, meaning the car has been out of template in that spot for multiple races.

Whether or not the templates touched the car at Daytona makes no difference, they were in line with full intent on putting that car on track.

This completely makes Clint Bowyer's penalty from New Hampshire 2010 a joke. His car was damaged by a wrecker pushing the car back to the pits after it had run out of fuel post-race. Not only that but Childress had perfect evidence of the cause and the appeals boards acted like there was no way it could have been possible.

Maybe Childress should open more GM car dealerships and buddy up to the current GM executives so they can overturn his appeals years from now.

I wonder if Mr. Hendrick slipped the appeals director any money or a new car from one of his dealerships by any chance....... Now it makes me wonder what else Chad "Cheater" Knaus and Ron Malec got away with during Jimmie's five straight championships. :yuck:

The stands at Martinsville were half-empty!

NASCAR is first and foremost a business based on selling motorsport. They have been brilliantly successful, and much of it derives from providing what the fans want. Perhaps it was wisely decided that effectively relegating star driver Johnson from the Chase before the first race started was one of little commercial merit?

Respectfully submitted,
Steve

They say they have computer data on the previous configuration.

Hopefully they go back to that but can somehow make it a two groove track. 3 wide racing at Bristol shouldn't happen, but neither should 3 hour trains with cautions mixed in.

Only the monetary fines remain.

Edit: Not only should the penalties remained, they should have increased. This was the same car that Chad told Jimmie to "smash up the rear" of it if he won the Talladega race last fall. Hendrick had said the only thing that changed was the paint, meaning the car has been out of template in that spot for multiple races.

Whether or not the templates touched the car at Daytona makes no difference, they were in line with full intent on putting that car on track.

This completely makes Clint Bowyer's penalty from New Hampshire 2010 a joke. His car was damaged by a wrecker pushing the car back to the pits after it had run out of fuel post-race. Not only that but Childress had perfect evidence of the cause and the appeals boards acted like there was no way it could have been possible.

Well Middlebrook is Hendrick's buddy.

Now it makes me wonder what else Chad "Cheater" Knaus and Ron Malec got away with during Jimmie's five straight championships. :yuck:

You should also be wondering what Tony Stewart, Kurt Busch, Jeff Gordon, Richard Petty, Dale Earnhardt as well as every other championship winner got away with.

Why is it so hard to grasp that everyone cheats?

I for one think this is the right call as the car never saw the track during the 500 weekend before they ruled it illegal.

So intent means nothing? Car was in line for inspection with 100% intent to put it into competition for the 500.

I for one think this is the right call as the car never saw the track during the 500 weekend before they ruled it illegal.

This. I found it the right call given it never saw the track prior to the ruling therefore it never actually collected any points or positions with said violation.
Sure there may have been intent, but nothing was gained from said intent so the punishment seemed extreme in comparison to 2006, when points and positions were actually aquired with that violation.

The amount of anger over this everywhere is laughable. It really is. Seems like anyone who had even a shred of dislike over the 48 team has gone into full blown rage mode. I love it.

MÜLE_9242;6852650
The amount of anger over this everywhere is laughable. It really is. Seems like anyone who had even a shred of dislike over the 48 team has gone into full blown rage mode. I love it.

It is rather funny, reminds me of how everyone was angry that SHR bought the 36 points for Danica but didn't care when FAS Lane Racing got the 6 car's points.:rolleyes:

What sad is that this whole discussion will probably be the most exciting thing that happens this race weekend. :indiff:

I wonder if the reason the #48 car was purposely not in the drafts tests that took place in January, was because of those "Illegal" modifications that was on the car.
The car at those tests was Jimmie's 500 car, Chad Knaus and Ron Malek specifically said not to put that car on the track for those tests, being that Knaus and Malek were the only ones who originally knew about the modifications.

Their reasoning for that was that they didn't want the car getting wrecked if anything happened.

The same car had been previously used 4-5 times without being modified between any of those events and this year's 500.

Chad told Jimmie that if he was to win Talladega last fall, to "smash up the rear end".

NASCAR most likely had no idea that same car was set to run the 500 this year.

Series Director John Darby saw something about the C pillars outside of the template area and felt it was off. This was while the car was still in line waiting for the inspection to happen.

All of it is coincidental. But they still cheated and still got caught.

Now I am suspicious about Jimmie's 5 championships...

Yet you're not suspicious of everyone else's championships? Quite the double standard you've got there.

This is what I wrote on the Speed page:

What people here don't understand is that cars with the exact same C-Pillars went through full inspection 5 different times, and passed every time. They were then confiscated (without ever touching the racing surface) because some idiot thought they "looked wrong" and didn't put a single template on the car before removing the pillars and slapping a penalty that was far too stiff in the first place. You cannot blame Chad for sending a car to Daytona that had passed Nascar inspection 5 times. It was a bad call by Nascar, and the appeal fixed it. End of story, quit crying.

It's that Chad Knaus was caught cheating numerous times compared to many other drivers who won championship(s). We might or might not know if Chad was cheating several other times but he didn't get caught.

I think a few of you are skipping over the part that says "outside of the templates".
Meaning what was originally 'defined' as illegal, was an area of the car, that (at the time) didn't have a legal specification, nor an illegal one. If the rules, don't say it's illegal, can you really be so bent out of shape that they tried it?

Every single one of these teams is looking for any and every advantage they can find. I'm not even a #48 fan, but clearly Chad Knaus seems to be searching and pushing the limits farther than most and I commend him on that. If you admire people who are content on losing, or settling for safe, then be my guest. But if I'm in the driver seat, I want my Crew Chief to be the guy who's constantly searching for something new, something more, something else... ANYthing else.

You can cry and complain all you want, but as a competitor in any form, you have to push the limits, and accept that eventually you're gunna step over the line and get busted. That doesn't make you a cheater, it makes you an innovator. Being the first to find new ways to go faster, shouldn't be frowned upon. If there's no black and white rule against it, why wouldn't you try it?

This goes far beyond the body of a car. It can be something as simple as tire pressures. At one point, it was just accepted that as the tires heat up as you run, and you took into account, the increased pressure. So people started with lower pressures, so that once hot, they were at optimal pressure. This forces a period of slower laps, because the tires have to build pressure. So, finally, someone comes up with the idea, of a valve cap, that automatically releases pressure when the tire PSI exceeds a certain amount. This way you can start at optimal pressures, and the valve cap, allows the tire to maintain a set pressure, regardless of heat and pressure build up. At the time there was no rule against it. Is this person a cheater, or just smarter than the other guys?

How about when people realized they can use the 'timing lights' on pit road, to speed without getting caught? The rules just say you have to average XXmph between point A and B, based on time. So a crew chief is smart enough to realize, this means you can go as fast as you want between the 2 points that include your pit stop, because obviously, you'll never be able to speed in that sector, when your pitstop time is included. This allows you to go as fast as you want, leaving your pit, until you hit the light, which begins your next sector. Is the crew chief who came up with that a cheater, or just smarter than the other guys?

I'm just saying, being the first to find or try something 'new' doesn't automatically make you a cheater. It just means you're thinking and trying harder than the other guys at the track. There might be a rule against it next week, but that's the way it goes.

How about when people realized they can use the 'timing lights' on pit road, to speed without getting caught? The rules just say you have to average XXmph between point A and B, based on time. So a crew chief is smart enough to realize, this means you can go as fast as you want between the 2 points that include your pit stop, because obviously, you'll never be able to speed in that sector, when your pitstop time is included. This allows you to go as fast as you want, leaving your pit, until you hit the light, which begins your next sector. Is the crew chief who came up with that a cheater, or just smarter than the other guys?

I'm personally against this one because of the huge safety hazard it presents. The result (speeding the most when driving closest to the pit crew members in their boxes) clearly goes against the intention of the rule (to keep pit crew members safe). I think there should be timing lights/lines every 2-3 pit boxes to prevent this. Safety should always come first.

NASCAR shouldn't go by average speeds on pit road. Now that they have fuel injection, they can easily put pit limiters on the cars.

NASCAR shouldn't go by average speeds on pit road. Now that they have fuel injection, they can easily put pit limiters on the cars.

Yeah, lets make it more like some of the most boring racing series' in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back