Need Car suggestion ($7k or less)

• Thread starter V10
  • 40 comments

V10

United States
Indianapolis
Hi!

I'm 17 and I got my license last year (your probably thinking "AAAH! Driving teenager! Get to the bunker!" like my mom, but I aced my test), and I had a learners permit before that. I've been saving up for a while for a nice car and have got about $4500 myself, mostly saved up from holidays and my birthday. I work with my dad, and he doesn't give me the money I earn for working with him, but instead puts it aside for the car. I believe he has about $3 or $4k set aside.
The problem is; I have no idea what to get with that money.
I'm just looking for some suggestions based on what I like really;

-Sporty
-I'd like it to be made later then 1990
-Can be any make
-150 HP or more
-2 door coupe
-Reliable

Thanks in advance if you can help!

Last edited:
V10
Hi!

I'm 17 and I got my license last year (your probably thinking "AAAH! Driving teenager! Get to the bunker!" like my mom, but I aced my test), and I had a learners permit before that. I've been saving up for a while for a nice car and have got about $4500 myself, mostly saved up from holidays and my birthday. I work with my dad, and he doesn't give me the money I earn for working with him, but instead puts it aside for the car. I believe he has about $3 or $4k set aside.

-Sporty
-Can be any make
-150 HP or more
-2 door coupe
-Reliable

Thanks in advance if you can help!

In before Miata.

Don't let your test score get to your head. Getting a perfect score doesn't mean anything in the real world. You're going to hear this a lot, but leave the sports driving off the street. Seriously. Can't stress it enough. You won't be able to control everything and it only takes one tiny thing to go wrong to kill you.

Miata is always a good choice. Whatever you get, Japanese cars tend to be good for this price range.

I know about not sport driving on the street. Me saying that I aced my test was more of a personal thing really, as my mom thinks i'm not good at anything.

I've looked for Miata's, trust me. It just doesn't interest me really.

Why you no like double wishbone all around, 50/50 weight distribution, light weight, cheap to own, cheap to tune, and an aftermarket almost as huge as a Civic's? Oh yeah and they're a blast to drive.

How about a 4th gen camaro, or an e36 BMW 3 series. Look at my tread about sporty cars for 5k or less, it gave me ideas, you may get some too.

How about a 4th gen camaro, or an e36 BMW 3 series. Look at my tread about sporty cars for 5k or less, it gave me ideas, you may get some too.

I was actually just looking at it.

I was thinking of maybe looking for this car; a 1995 Lexus SC 300.

F8E8E3E9-18FD-4CFC-AB65-DF3075348782_1.jpg

F8E8E3E9-18FD-4CFC-AB65-DF3075348782_7.jpg

What do you guys think?

V10
I was actually just looking at it.

I was thinking of maybe looking for this car; a 1995 Lexus SC 300.

What do you guys think?

Lexus makes rock solid cars that are comfortable. It would be great IF you want an auto.

Like most people here will tell you, your scored don't really matter compared to how you can react to real life situations, how you can handle power, and your driving manners. I think an EJ honda civic would be a good option or maybe an integra gsr, both good cars that are fun to drive and have a huge aftermarket (especially the civic) if you're into that.

Lexus makes rock solid cars that are comfortable. It would be great IF you want an auto.

While they are relatively rare, there are some SC300's out there with a 5 speed stick shift.
I think the SC300 is the perfect choice, but try to get a newer one (from the later 90's) , because traction control was only an option on older models. But other than that, it'd make a great car.

V10

-Sporty
-Can be any make
-150 HP or more
-2 door coupe
-Reliable

You need to think about things beyond the price of the vehicle and a rough parameter of what you'd prefer. Insurance prices are not going to be cheap at 17, particularly if you're going after a sporty vehicle. Furthermore, even though gasoline is relatively cheap at the moment, the variability of that in the future is still in question.

The Lexus SC300 that you pictured seems like a fairly decent idea. They're comfortable and quiet, can perform moderately well, and I'm willing to bet that insurance is outrageously cheap despite its capabilities. Thing is, fuel economy will be rough, averaging much more than 22-23 MPG is simply out of the question.

Now, if you want something that is affordable (insurance, gasoline, price), easy to repair and reliable, I'd look at something like this:

24691294.jpg

The '95 Camry Coupe would be a decent place to start. It has plenty of room for yourself and your friends. It is definitely "safe," if that is a major selling point for your parents. Reliability is beyond belief, our '96 Camry went 212K before being killed by a deer with a death wish, despite every attempt we made to kill that car, even with significant maintenance issues. They're cheap to insure, cheap to fix, cheap to run... Even at 17, and driving like a typical 17 year old, I managed to get 27 MPG out of that four-cylinder. Shocking.

So, no, it isn't the sportiest option out there. But, with the right tires, it would be capable in the handling department. The ride is likely to be quite a lot better compared to the Lexus, if that matters. The 5S-FE four-cylinder powered models are adequate, we had it in our Camry, and I have one in my Celica now. Its reliable as a wood-burning stove, and the good news is that it can be matched with a manual transmission in the Camry. You can opt for the V6, the 1MZ-FE having been knocking on the door of 200 BHP at the time. There are obvious sacrifices to be made in fuel economy, but when you consider that the Camry was otherwise as fast as the Lexus in a straight line... There isn't much to complain about.

So, lets recap:

• Cheaper to buy than the Lexus to start (you can probably find one for ~$2500-$2750)
  • Much, much cheapter to insure than the Lexus
  • Near enough as fast as the Lexus, and no one will be able to tell
  • Reliable, outrageously so. Cheap to fix, the work can be done in the driveway
  • Probably more readily accepted by your parents than a "true" sports car

I was 17 once, I know how it feels to want to spend every dollar you have for the coolest car possible. Now that I'm 25, a car like the Camry coupe makes a lot of sense. It has the balls to do what needs to be done, all while looking like a regular-ass car. That, in the end, is probably far cooler and more surprising than having a car that looks like its out for trouble in the first place.

I was 17 once. I drove a Miata. It was awesome and cheap in all the above categories. Only thing was the difficulty in fitting more than one passenger but then again, the car was for me, not them.

If your dad is like most reasonable dads - he'll block any purchases of 2 door 'sporty' cars (since those won't be cheap on his insurance). So don't waste your time looking at those, and save yourself and your dad some nerves arguing about it.

Go for an older 4-door lexus or other luxury car with lots of airbags. Until you really learn to drive it's best (in your own interest) to have safety as the highest priority.

Getting a cool car might seem like the highest priority at the moment, but it's not (and 4-doors have far bigger rear seats anyways).

And blowing all your money on a used car is not the rule thumb anyway. If you got 7k for a car, don't spend more than 5k for a purchase. You're likely to need the rest for repairs/getting it in decent shape.

If it's a cool car you want definitely get a 4 door car, there's nothing cooler than hauling your friends around, albeit at a small charge (gas is expensive :sly: )

dsgerbc
If your dad is like most reasonable dads - he'll block any purchases of 2 door 'sporty' cars (since those won't be cheap on his insurance). So don't waste your time looking at those, and save yourself and your dad some nerves arguing about it.

Go for an older 4-door lexus or other luxury car with lots of airbags. Until you really learn to drive it's best (in your own interest) to have safety as the highest priority.

Getting a cool car might seem like the highest priority at the moment, but it's not (and 4-doors have far bigger rear seats anyways).

And blowing all your money on a used car is not the rule thumb anyway. If you got 7k for a car, don't spend more than 5k for a purchase. You're likely to need the rest for repairs/getting it in decent shape.

As a driver of a larger safe car they are completely over rated. Just because something has 2 doors doesn't automatically classify it as a speeding death machine. Insurance might be not be that much higher depending on the engine and badging. The integra's and civic coupes are safe and not super high on insurance because of the engine size. Plus 7k is plenty to get a car that is ready to go without needing repairs if he's smart.

As a driver of a larger safe car they are completely over rated. Just because something has 2 doors doesn't automatically classify it as a speeding death machine. Insurance might be not be that much higher depending on the engine and badging. The integra's and civic coupes are safe and not super high on insurance because of the engine size.
All else equal coupes will be more expensive to insure. Integra and Civic coupes will be more expensive than sedans with the same engine. And I wouldn't be getting those anyway, last I checked those were close to the top of the most stolen cars, ergo higher insurance in general.
Plus 7k is plenty to get a car that is ready to go without needing repairs if he's smart.
Nope, it's not.

How about a 4th generation Nissan Maxima? It's a sports sedan, with a 190 horsepower V6 that is regarded as one of the best engines ever made, once earning a top spot on Ward's 10 Best Engines list. Add in a manual transmission, and it's a very good sedan that balances practicality and performance. Loaded ones are quite luxurious, with leather, a sunroof, and heated seats, and even bose audio. But make sure to get one made in 1997 or after, as numerous safety improvements were made this year. And, these cars are very reliable, and they last forever, well over 200,000 miles. To top it off, Maximas in good shape can be bought for relatively little money.

1997-nissan-maxima-pic-27322.jpeg

While we're adding four door sports cars...

800px-Ford_Taurus_SHO_%28second-gen%29.jpg

Still, to this day, one of the best American cars. Ever.

dsgerbc
All else equal coupes will be more expensive to insure. Integra and Civic coupes will be more expensive than sedans with the same engine. And I wouldn't be getting those anyway, last I checked those were close to the top of the most stolen cars, ergo higher insurance in general.

Nope, it's not.

Yes they are more expensive then comparable sedans but still not that high in general even if you include your obscure most stolen statistic. Those were just examples anyway so it doesn't work for all cars. I mean how expensive could insurance really be on say a cavalier coupe, really. He's 17 so insurance is going to be high period, there's no way to make it cheap.
You must have never lived in the real world because 7 thousand dollars is quite a chunk of change. Check craigslist or eBay to see how much 7k will get you.

Yes they are more expensive then comparable sedans but still not that high in general even if you include your obscure most stolen statistic. Those were just examples anyway so it doesn't work for all cars. I mean how expensive could insurance really be on say a cavalier coupe, really. He's 17 so insurance is going to be high period, there's no way to make it cheap.
You must have never lived in the real world because 7 thousand dollars is quite a chunk of change. Check craigslist or eBay to see how much 7k will get you.
If you want to know how high insuring 17 y/o with a cavalier coupe could be - try getting a quote for some NYC zip. If he lives in close to downtown Indianapolis, the coupe/sedan difference becomes real money.

Most-stolen statistic is obscure until your car gets stolen.

Used cars break. Not right after the purchase, of course. But if you blow all your money and it breaks before you can save more - it will suck quite badly. So prudent rule from the real world - don't blow all your cash on a new used ride. Of course there's always the world where parents can and are willing to cough up a few grand to fix kid's car, but not everyone is so lucky.

I've got a 2000 Accord coupe with a spoiler which looks a ton better than without. 200hp/200 lb ft torque in the v6. I pay $200 a month with collision and I'm 20 so I'm not sure what your looking at insurance wise but I love my car.

Oh and I had a learner's permit for a year and I aced my test... Believe me that means nothing.

3rd or 4th gen Camaro or Firebird. RWD, cheap, not super easy to find a decent one, but they're out there. The V6 model 4th gen had 160hp in the 3.4l up until 1996, when they switched to a 200hp (I think) 3.8l V6, and those are very cheap. The Z28 or Trans-Am models of the 4th gen with the LT-1 V8 have 285hp, a lot of torque, and a decent aftermarket. As for the 3rd gen, I don't know as much about it, so you'd have to research. All I know is it's even harder to find a 3rd gen in good condition.
CamaroThirdGen-IROC-3quarter_500.jpg

sr=1

1107640232.jpg

Oh yeah, Acura CL Type-S, after '03. Sleeper, decent power, with aftermarket exhaust that V6 can sound awesome.

If it's a cool car you want definitely get a 4 door car, there's nothing cooler than hauling your friends around, albeit at a small charge (gas is expensive :sly: )

Nothing's cooler than driving around drunk with 4 friends in your badly slammed, fart-canned (insert typical teenager car here) while smoking suspicious substances and listening to annoying loud music. :lol:

Seriously, don't do this. Get something tasteful yet 'cool', don't fart-can, or slam your car. Keep it clean.

About suggestions, maybe an E30 or E36 Bimmer?

Back