Need for Speed - The Movie | March 14, 2014

Here's my small review (contains some spoilers) :

camera angle, location, sound, etc.:
8/10
The camera angles were great. You can tell most of them were inspired by the games. Especially the "driver cam" which was used very well. The locations used were great. The driver-in theater race was very well done. The last race was beautiful. The light house and the winding road was very beautiful. The forest was also very pretty. It would be a shame if those parts were made using software. The sounds. The sounds were awesome. The low gurgle of the muscle cars, the loud sound of the diesel Beast, and the sound of super cars were amazing. At times, the sound would catch you off guard and scare the 🤬 out of you.

acting, props, cars, etc:
7/10
At times, the acting felt a bit awkward. The real cars were modified very well. The hero car also looked amazing. But the largest problem were the super cars. As we all know, they were replicas. But they were so poorly made, you get depressed looking at them. The Veyron's engine bay and intakes were all wrong. The Sesto Elemento's windows were glass in the movie, but in real life they're plastic to save weight. The Agera R looked like a plastic mold. The intakes on the sides were all fake. When it zoomed in onto the front wheel arch, you can see through the intake. The Spano looked some what OK, probably because we don't know too much about it. The P1's wing was not move-able and also looked like a large plastic mold. But at least the car looked kind of good. The S7 looked somewhat good.

plot, story, etc:
5/10
The story was also a bit awkward at times and you were just thrown into with no back story at all. There were large places where we had no idea what happened. Also, the whole story pretty much spun around doing time in jail. From the beginning, he's thrown in jail for inaccurately being accused of killing his friend. At the end, he's thrown in jail for street racing, in a street racing movie...right...

overall:
6.8/10

closing thoughts:
The main rival for this movie will definitely be the Fast and the Furious. Compared to them, this movie is lacking in a lot of things, especially the story. FnF had a great, somewhat (not really), story line (but became a generic action film in the recent ones) and, obviously, the amazing cars. FnF also has better camera angles and locations. Everything seems much more realistic and overall more well done than NFS. Is NFS better than FnF? Absolutely not. If NFS continued, would it be better? Maybe...only time will tell.

Here's my small review (contains some spoilers) :

camera angle, location, sound, etc.:
8/10
The camera angles were great. You can tell most of them were inspired by the games. Especially the "driver cam" which was used very well. The locations used were great. The driver-in theater race was very well done. The last race was beautiful. The light house and the winding road was very beautiful. The forest was also very pretty. It would be a shame if those parts were made using software. The sounds. The sounds were awesome. The low gurgle of the muscle cars, the loud sound of the diesel Beast, and the sound of super cars were amazing. At times, the sound would catch you off guard and scare the 🤬 out of you.

acting, props, cars, etc:
7/10
At times, the acting felt a bit awkward. The real cars were modified very well. The hero car also looked amazing. But the largest problem were the super cars. As we all know, they were replicas. But they were so poorly made, you get depressed looking at them. The Veyron's engine bay and intakes were all wrong. The Sesto Elemento's windows were glass in the movie, but in real life they're plastic to save weight. The Agera R looked like a plastic mold. The intakes on the sides were all fake. When it zoomed in onto the front wheel arch, you can see through the intake. The Spano looked some what OK, probably because we don't know too much about it. The P1's wing was not move-able and also looked like a large plastic mold. But at least the car looked kind of good. The S7 looked somewhat good.

plot, story, etc:
5/10
The story was also a bit awkward at times and you were just thrown into with no back story at all. There were large places where we had no idea what happened. Also, the whole story pretty much spun around doing time in jail. From the beginning, he's thrown in jail for inaccurately being accused of killing his friend. At the end, he's thrown in jail for street racing, in a street racing movie...right...

overall:
6.8/10

closing thoughts:
The main rival for this movie will definitely be the Fast and the Furious. Compared to them, this movie is lacking in a lot of things, especially the story. FnF had a great, somewhat (not really), story line (but became a generic action film in the recent ones) and, obviously, the amazing cars. FnF also has better camera angles and locations. Everything seems much more realistic and overall more well done than NFS. Is NFS better than FnF? Absolutely not. If NFS continued, would it be better? Maybe...only time will tell.
agreed with the low quality of hypercars, it kinda disturbed me seeing how inacurate the Agera looks, though i don't know how the Veyron differs from the real life and the movie as i'm not a fan of the car. Though to me the Elemento looks like the closest thing aside from the Spano and the P1.

But i'm gonna have to disagree with you on how FnF has better camera angles and locations. imo, NFS has the better ones, i find myself getting (just a bit) thrilled and scared when it comes to the race and stunt scenes, especially when he drive on oncoming traffic in first person shot, you can also feel the raw and grittyness of the races. The last race location is really beautiful, the forest is great (i find myself thinking about going there when they were racing in the forest lol) and the Lighthouse is beautiful too. Well to each of their own. :cheers:

That was the most average film ive ever watched. Truly awful acting.

5/10
One way of putting it. But i've now watched it and its one of the best if not the best Game to Movie i've ever seen. Its the only film I've ever watch that made me want to turn on Rivals, the view points, the action, the vehicles and even the police tactics to takeout the drivers was pulled from the game.
Yes the acting was average and the characters were small but broad and the overall story is reminiscent of The Run. The thing that i and many others have picked up on is the poor copies they made, Agera is way to tall and chubby compared to the sleek swed design, all roll way to much in the bends and when they say there going 150mph foot down, way to slow for all 6 cars. Veyron was defo based on the original not the supersport but the Sesto was the closest. They shouldnt of shown the custom built floors in the flips though, shows to much tubing.

I liked it and i want more N4S releases expanding over different games, like Prostreet, Shift and even Undercover (which is the worst N4S ever)

My girlfriend went just for Aaron Paul, as the girlfriend of a friend of mine, but we went for the movie itself.
It was really entertaining to be honest. I didn't expect to see Breaking Bad's kind of twists, I was just hoping to see cars, stunts, some decent 3D from time to time and amazing sound. That's what I got.

So I saw the film on Wednesday...

One thing I liked was the 'Stang. I don't care what it really has under the hood, it just looks so nice. I don't approve of how shoddy it's 'stunt-double' looks in one scene, though. I also found the Smokey And The Bandit reference funny as hell.

I enjoyed the fact that they acknowledged Carroll Shelby during the film, but that came with the negative of having to explain who he was for about 20 minutes to the three people I went with afterwards. Those same people didn't understand why I cringed at moments such as the over-sized Bugatti logo, Bugatti body-roll or the professionally fake looking Agera R, either.

I didn't mind the film, really. Obviously, it's not the best film I've seen, but it's not the worst either (that title belongs to the terrible 'Movie 43' that I was dragged to last year).

Overall, if you don't walk in there intending to dissect every split second of it, it's not that bad. Hell, bring some friends who don't have petrol flowing through their veins; you might actually be able to get them a little more interested in cars as a result. I now have a friend who longs for a Shelby Cobra, which is always nice.

Have you guys seen the Top Gear celebrity challenge with Aaron Paul as the guest star ? He is at the top of the list ! His time at the driving school while prepping for the movie paid off.

Plenty of spoilers on this post.

Watched this on Friday evening with my University's Car Club.

Had to hold in man tears at the end when TM was being handcuffed next to the lighthouse (just so I didn't look like a little girl to the rest of the club!). That scene along with the death of Little Pete and that Red Agera really hit the feels/sent chills down my spine because of all the things that pointed towards Paul Walkers untimely passing...

As a car enthusiast I found this modern Hollywood rendition of a car movie amazing. Enjoyed the fact that they harked back to the days when stunts were stunts and not performed by a graphics card.

The story is plenty of fun with a classic premise. Characters were well crafted and the actors had a great dynamic between each other. Particularly liked Imogen Poots as Julia. She will gain a truck-load of new fans after this film. Aaron Paul is award winning in his performance as usual.

The car scenes were awesome. I found myself chuckling when you see crazy automotive cues like TM getting forced onto the wrong side of a dual carraigeway; the gang having some fun with a cop in the central business district and hearing the sound of an Agera R hitting the limiter after a downshift.

They obviously had to take a few liberties with some parts of the movie and were well aware of what they were doing. Loved how they took an early metaphorical jab at this - and all the ensuing haters that would follow as a result - in the first scene with the Monarch shutting up an anonymous critic who obviously had no appreciation for racing/cars/art that has an added burden of bean counters putting restrictions on things.

Walked out of the movie giving this a 10/10; contemplated giving it a 9 or 9.5 but in the end with all things considered I'll stick with that 10.

Last edited:
Plenty of spoilers on this post.

Watched this on Friday evening with my University's Car Club.

Had to hold in man tears at the end when TM was being handcuffed next to the lighthouse (just so I didn't look like a little girl to the rest of the club!). That scene along with the death of Little Pete and that Red Agera really hit the feels/sent chills down my spine because of all the things that pointed towards Paul Walkers untimely passing...
Yeah that ending feels just right, i'm not a fan of Linkin Park but the song fits perfectly with the scene, it was so sad. A lot of people find it a bit silly because the movie takes itself seriously though i say it fits right between serious and silly fun. I didn't think of PW passing while watching the Agera crash scene though, but it is kinda heart breaking.

Yeah that ending feels just right, i'm not a fan of Linkin Park but the song fits perfectly with the scene, it was so sad. A lot of people find it a bit silly because the movie takes itself seriously though i say it fits right between serious and silly fun. I didn't think of PW passing while watching the Agera crash scene though, but it is kinda heart breaking.

The whole audience's volume went down during the Agera crash scene...very eerie. I forgot to mention a very strong point of this film which is the music. A DJ friend of mine who has a traditional music background loved the soundtrack so that has to be a compliment to the movies music advisers.

As for game to movie renditions go it will be interesting to see how the Gran Turismo/GT Academy movie will compare Need for Speed because that's almost going to be a documentary/inspired-by type of film.

The whole audience's volume went down during the Agera crash scene...very eerie. I forgot to mention a very strong point of this film which is the music. A DJ friend of mine who has a traditional music background loved the soundtrack so that has to be a compliment to the movies music advisers.

As for game to movie renditions go it will be interesting to see how the Gran Turismo/GT Academy movie will compare Need for Speed because that's almost going to be a documentary/inspired-by type of film.

yeah the soundtracks are very good. The intro, some of the race scenes and the final one where Tobey lead the police to the finish line, they have done a great job on that.

I think drama-wise, GT movie wouldn't have as much drama as this, i've got a feeling GT movie will go towards younger audience, lighter theme than NFS.

yeah the soundtracks are very good. The intro, some of the race scenes and the final one where Tobey lead the police to the finish line, they have done a great job on that.

I think drama-wise, GT movie wouldn't have as much drama as this, i've got a feeling GT movie will go towards younger audience, lighter theme than NFS.

It's hard to tell what the producers and directors will do though. The guys who are making the GT movie IIRC are the same guys who made "The Social Network" (the facebook movie) and that had a lot of drama in it (probably too much).

I can't imagine the GT movie being lighter themed than NFS. The main obstacle Sony has is that NFS set the bar very high and the facebook movie guys will have to reach deep into their magic hat to top it off. I personally don't see this happening since Sony is late to the party as usual. Had they released the GT movie before the NFS film it might be a different story.

The GT movie will likely be a GT Academy-type story full of Nissans like NFS is full of Fords.

That's been established already though. The question is how are they going to flesh out the whole "Gamer to Pro-Driver" concept in the movie; and if they're going to stick with their original plan of having Lucas Ordonez' rise to fame as the central point of the whole project. This is the reason why I have some doubts as to whether or not the GT movie will be better (if not on par) with the Need For Speed film.

Sony Pictures/PlayStation/Nissan are basically taking a marketing stunt that has become a legitimate driver talent search program and turning that into a film. A lot of the Gran Turismo community are already aware of GT Academy so it will be a harder sell than Need for Speed was ever going to be; considering that a lot of people went into the cinema not expecting much from the thing in the first place.

Oh and to get the joke started the GT movie will most likely be delayed :sly:. You heard it here first ;)

It's hard to tell what the producers and directors will do though. The guys who are making the GT movie IIRC are the same guys who made "The Social Network" (the facebook movie) and that had a lot of drama in it (probably too much).

I can't imagine the GT movie being lighter themed than NFS.
I meant in terms of story, NFS had that gritty revenge theme with best friend being killed and all, the games had those stuff, while GT is all about racing *cough* chasing the rabbit *cough* on circuit, its hard to think the producers will implement a darker or similar theme to NFS, well it's what i think though, if they manage to pull of a similar theme to NFS then it's better for me as i like those kind of stories. :D

heard Aaron Paul love the 69 Torino (can't blame him :D, it is a beauty) and he was hoping to get it but didn't expect much since Scott Waugh and another crew wanted it too. I guess in the end somehow Aaaron Paul got the car...

Aaron+Paul+Aaron+Paul+Running+Errands+West+J0gT3TTB5utl.jpg

Back