New Volkswagen GTI Observations!

• Thread starter mustangxr
  • 1 comments
Canada
Victoria, B.C.
skypilotrv4
I ran a lap for the VW GTI and took it right to the track.. I found out that it is not accepted in and stock classes right away. So I entered it in the "SUPER' class Suzuka race with 10 laps, thinking that would be a good testing ground. I left everything stock in the suspension department, and the power department, the transmission, the diff, and the ballast all stock.

I started last, with Race SOFT and had to work to catch the last place AI car. The handling was impeccable but the grip was only marginally better than the last few cars in the race lineup. The power was also marginally better. With a little work and a couple of laps I was ahead of 3 cars and it started to rain a bit.
On the third lap the car started to slide around and traction was marginal. I figured that the physics in the rain had been changed on race soft, but as I barely completed lap 3 and passed the pits I was horrified to notice my front tires were down to 0 (zero) on the right front and 1 (one) on the left front. The rears were running around 6.

I started the race again because the car was unmanagable. Sure enough, the fronts were done by the end of lap 3 so I pitted and got tires (same). The upshot was that the rain delayed the tire wear and I was able to squeak 4 laps out of the fronts in the wet, but back to 3 laps to finish in the dry. I pulled off a 5th place with 3 pit stops while the AI only used 2.

The fronts exhibited a lot of angry red heat on the tire sensors on all the corners. Maybe some more camber would help here??
Cheers, Mustanxr

The LSDs are also set to 10/40/20 I found. I'm sure that did not help.

I took mine to the the Red Bull Rings and had a pretty good time playing with it. It is a bit hard to see out of in cockpit view and the sound is pretty generic but I like it overall. Once I tune it up and get some more laps in I feel like this is going to be a top 10 car for me.

Back