Nissan R35 GT-R's handling is nerfed... too much

United States
Danville/VA/US
japan_gator
As a fanboy of the Nissan GT-R, I don't want to sound like I'm a whiner but I think there's something really wrong with the car's handling in GT6. I know I have heard many people on GT5 said that this car was too dominant in the stock car/shuffle world, or that they think that the Nissan & PD partnership stirred up some conspiracy to make their flagship supercar unrealistically fast. But to be seriously honest, I think they nerfed the handling in the R35 GT-R a bit too much. I bought all the GT-Rs assuming that my favorite supercar was still going to be a cornering dream like in the previous game, but was utterly shocked when I used it online and got outpaced by an '84 Ferrari GTO on Apricot Hill (there was no tuning allowed). To make long story short the GT-R's strongest points have always been its ease of use and amazing cornering speeds, but with the way it is now I don't think the GT-R will be all that good in GT6 and that's depressing to admit coming from someone who praises this car dearly.

I'm the same as you. Used the GTr Spec V and Black edition in gt5 and loved it. Even took it on Rally stages.

What editions have you tried in GT6?

The car is very capable in real life. The new 2013 GTR Nismo is the 3rd fastest car to lap nurburg. Smoked competition 10 times its category. So making the GTR fast is not about fanboism its about reflecting the cars real world performance

The only reason I said it that way is because I didn't want a smart alec to come and post on here that I'm just simply crying about my favorite supercar not being as fast as it was in GT5 and I was attempting to try and stop that from happening :lol:. I so far only drove the regular GT-R and the Black Edition, haven't used the SpecV yet.

Fanboy meet reality.
Reality meet fanboy.

Now that I have introduced you two together I hope you guys can come to a mutual understanding...

Reality wins
giphy.gif

The main benefit of the GTR is its acceleration due to its clutch and transmission setup. It weighs more than a boat and while it may be easy to drive and grippy it doesn't mean that a 1700kg car can be more nimble than a 1200kg car, sorry.

The main benefit of the GTR is its acceleration due to its clutch and transmission setup. It weighs more than a boat and while it may be easy to drive and grippy it doesn't mean that a 1700kg car can be more nimble than a 1200kg car, sorry.
But that was the special part about it, it practically defied the fact that it weighed that much and still cornered well. Are you guys literally telling me you're okay having the GT-R slower like this?

Yea most people don't realise just how efficient the drivetrain and transmission is on the GTR os they think Nissan lies on their figures. It uses its engine HP like no other. The Camber and suspension is also set up to squeeze every last drop of grip out of the tyres.

That said the extra weight also means there is more grip from the tyres as they are pressed into the road better. But if you get it wrong you are right 1800kg of momentum means its very hard to change direction

Well there goes that attempt failed. But you seriously can't just accept a 1980's ferrari car beating a GT-R. That really doesn't make sense to me. I would understand if it was something like a 458 but it was nothing of the sort.

I've never had any problems with the Nissan GT-R but saying it like that makes it sound like the Ferrari GTO wouldn't have had a chance to begin with.
The Ferrari GTO was originally designed to participate in Group B, although I don't think it ever got the chance... It changes direction quickly and it does weigh much less. It is so wrong to judge a car's effectiveness just by how old it is.

But that was the special part about it, it practically defied the fact that it weighed that much and still cornered well. Are you guys literally telling me you're okay having the GT-R slower like this?
Plus, with a chassis developed by Lotus(responsible for the elise, evora, and exige) and having parts developed under pressure of real world conditions, it was always meant to be a track monster

People that disagree with this are just not informed about this car. In real life the gtr is a beast and yes it has been nerfed. Also while you're at it take a look at the evos and subarus. Both the evo and sti are known for being giants in the time attack world. When extensively modified they are some of the fastest cars on tarmac for a given class. But in gt6 they handle like pigs and I have yet to see either really shine.

I've never had any problems with the Nissan GT-R but saying it like that makes it sound like the Ferrari GTO wouldn't have had a chance to begin with.
The Ferrari GTO was originally designed to participate in Group B, although I don't think it ever got the chance... It changes direction quickly and it does weigh much less. It is so wrong to judge a car's effectiveness just by how old it is.
But there is some truth to that. With all the technology and refinements and extensive testing that goes into supercars now these days to make them the best they can be, having something that came from the 80's that didn't have all that at the time seems to undermine a lot of things.

Which GTR did you have? The regular or the black edition? The 07 GTR I can understand getting outpaced by a car that weighs 1200kg, but the black is a whole nother beast, I beat and kept up with alot of cars with the 2012 black that the 07 would have gotten left. Some times it's not the car was it the driver? But if it did lose to the ferrari, thats power to weight ratio for you right there.

Which GTR did you have? The regular or the black edition? The 07 GTR I can understand getting outpaced by a car that weighs 1200kg, but the black is a whole nother beast, I beat and kept up with alot of cars with the 2012 black that the 07 would have gotten left. Some times it's not the car was it the driver? But if it did lose to the ferrari, thats power to weight ratio for you right there.
It was the '07 GT-R and I can tell you with complete confidence I wasn't a bad driver. And it wasn't the acceleration part I was losing on, it was mainly the corners.

Honestly I bought the Black Edition and it's still a beast. Lot of grip on corners, easy to control. I really don't see this nerf you're talking about. What controller do you use?

It was the '07 GT-R and I can tell you with complete confidence I wasn't a bad driver. And it wasn't the acceleration part I was losing on, it was mainly the corners.
Oh ok, that explains it then, ferraris are good on flat smooth tracks like that, the gtr on the other hand likes places like nurburgring and tight twisty tracks with alot of tirns and hills, I hope kaz reckonizes greatness once again and brings the 15 gtr nismo to gt6,.

Did a very quick test with both cars on Apricot Hill, the GTO definitely seems to be much faster through the corners there. Beat the GTRs lap time quite easily too, but not by much.

I'm not sure if the GTR got nerfed though, many of the old cars in GT are very balanced/fast and easy to drive :lol:

Yea most people don't realise just how efficient the drivetrain and transmission is on the GTR os they think Nissan lies on their figures. It uses its engine HP like no other. The Camber and suspension is also set up to squeeze every last drop of grip out of the tyres.

That said the extra weight also means there is more grip from the tyres as they are pressed into the road better. But if you get it wrong you are right 1800kg of momentum means its very hard to change direction

I'm afraid it doesn't work like that i.e. vertical force (weight) vs lateral grip...

In GT5 the R35 had just too much grip, more than any other stock car.

Now in GT6 it has a more realistic amount of grip.

This is probably the result of the updated tyre physics model.

I think its still very fast and stable car, just not as good as gt5.

Btw, they "nerfed" the NSX-R and M3 CSL as well.

I found it to be a bit more realistic. but at the same time I miss the race car stiffness when I built it up. (Black Edition) even with the chassis stiffing it seems lacking. then again I'm not the best setup guy in the world. he'll it took me about a year to fine tune The R32. even then I borrowed the shock settings form a RKM tune...

You guys call yourselves car nuts?:lol: The GT-R is one of the best braking, cornering and accelerating cars in the world. It stops from 60 - 0 in under 100 feet!! The GT-R is 2 seconds faster to 60 and 2.5 seconds faster to 100 mph than the GTO. It should make a mockery of any 80's supercar on the track but you have to take into account the PP system if you were racing against a fixed PP. It should nerf the GT-R with less HP but better grip, although the car should still handle well. I haven't driven it myself yet but I highly doubt PD would have wrecked one of their most prized cars:lol:

Last edited:
As a fanboy of the Nissan GT-R, I don't want to sound like I'm a whiner but I think there's something really wrong with the car's handling in GT6. I know I have heard many people on GT5 said that this car was too dominant in the stock car/shuffle world, or that they think that the Nissan & PD partnership stirred up some conspiracy to make their flagship supercar unrealistically fast. But to be seriously honest, I think they nerfed the handling in the R35 GT-R a bit too much. I bought all the GT-Rs assuming that my favorite supercar was still going to be a cornering dream like in the previous game, but was utterly shocked when I used it online and got outpaced by an '84 Ferrari GTO on Apricot Hill (there was no tuning allowed). To make long story short the GT-R's strongest points have always been its ease of use and amazing cornering speeds, but with the way it is now I don't think the GT-R will be all that good in GT6 and that's depressing to admit coming from someone who praises this car dearly.

Well, PD seem to have been sleeping with GM over the off season - the C7 Stingray is a little bit too well behaved in GT6, much the way the GT-R was rather unbelievably good in GT5 :)

:lol:

If it was PP limited then maybe PD finally put the car at the right class.

Also, driving talent. In a SPEC/One-make race it isn't hard to find guys that are over a 2 seconds faster than the field a lap in the same car. So if that car had any advantage, a good driver will use it.

And the GTR is a really good car (and at the price point it only really has 3 other competitors) , but it is not some unbeatable force that uses dark magic as a form of energy.

Last edited:
Back