Nissan R35 GT-R's handling is nerfed... too much

But that was the special part about it, it practically defied the fact that it weighed that much and still cornered well. Are you guys literally telling me you're okay having the GT-R slower like this?

didn't defy anything. Just a very well Balanced set up in stock from. Excellent R&D.
I'm afraid it doesn't work like that i.e. vertical force (weight) vs lateral grip...

Lol that you don't think the weight of the car presses down onto the tyre increases "lateral grip".
The extra weight may reduce your cornering ability but it certainly will increase the amount of grip an individual tyre can provide.

Well there goes that attempt failed. But you seriously can't just accept a 1980's ferrari car beating a GT-R. That really doesn't make sense to me. I would understand if it was something like a 458 but it was nothing of the sort.

I guess this is pretty close to reality too! Ferrari FXX, meet the Honda FITT..:

One of the things that always bothered me in GT is that you put the same tires on everything. I don't think we've ever seen a 288 GTO drive full-out on a track with the same modern grippy tires that the GT-R has. That being said though, the vintage cars in GT do perform better than their real counterparts as for the most part (eg. shifting). And they are generally wearing tires that have much more grip than they would have had. I would like the option to run "classic" tires, like an 60s or 70s racing tire, street tires from various vintages and the like. That's a bit off topic though.

Perhaps it speaks more to the strength of the older car and the track selection rather then to the weakness of the R35. But it's just so cool to test something once and then complain bout it on a forum.

Well there goes that attempt failed. But you seriously can't just accept a 1980's ferrari car beating a GT-R. That really doesn't make sense to me. I would understand if it was something like a 458 but it was nothing of the sort.

because Ferrari is the best! :D

... and I'm not a fanboy whatsoever

That said the extra weight also means there is more grip from the tyres as they are pressed into the road better. But if you get it wrong you are right 1800kg of momentum means its very hard to change direction

That's flawed logic and neglects an important fact, yes tyres give more grip with more downward force applied but then you've forgotten to consider that the same mass pushing down on the tyres is also trying to throw the car sideways out of the corner which is far more detrimental than the traction benefit you get from having more weight over the tyres.

That's the whole reason downforce works as well as it does, you get the benefits of forcing the tyre into the ground without the negatives of that same force trying to throw the car to the outside of the corner.

It seems you so much close to the ground but also handles like a LM car I lose control it's too heavy I couldn't go through corners like I could in GT5.

OK the OP is actually sorta right. I did the testing, and I feel I'm a fast enough driver to make this point:

test setup:
G27
Apricot Hill
Online private room
Tires : Sports Hards
grip set to real
ABS was on at 1, everything else was off (SRF, TC, etc)
Practice mode:
Note, I messed up sector one on my fastest lap in every car but the C7, thats why my "theoretical best time" is so much better.

GTR 2012 Black Edition : best real lap in 5 laps : 1:27.65X
GTR 2012 Black Edition : adding up all my best sectors lap from 6 laps (theoretical best time) : 1:27.3 (I bet I could shave a tenth off that).
GTR 2012 Black Edition : PP : 546

It was very easy to get a 27.7~ in the GTR, but got harder as I tried to lower the time. Bad brakes in this car, so that can't be right.

GT0 '82: best real lap in 5 laps : 1:27.72X
GT0 '82: theoretical best time : 1:27.2XX (still had time left, very hard car to drive)
GT0 '82: PP : 520

Very fast in a straight line VERY good brakes, not right for a car made in the 80s. Its mid-corner manner was messy but way to much front grip. I know back in 1982 a Sports Hard tire would be like a slick tire (SH tires can grip past 1G) but that won't make it out run a GTR. And at 520PP

So is the GTR slow? We know the GTO is way too fast for it's PP and well, everything.

Well I tested the C7 as a control/base.

C7 : best real lap in 5 laps : 1:28.4XX
C7 : theoretical best time : 1:27.9XX (still had time left, very hard car to drive)
C7 : PP : 538

The C7 was easier to drive than the GTR but much slower. It's Only 8PP down but I don't see it coming close to the GTR. So yes, the GTR is still fast.

So for the TL,DR people

GTR, about right, brakes aren't very good for a car that in IRL has great brakes. Also felt a "little" low on grip. Not much, just a little. It's been taken back to the real world from GT5.

GTO, WAY TO FAST!

C7, Feels right for the PP.

Last edited:
OK the OP is actually sorta right. I did the testing, and I feel I'm a fast enough driver to make this point:

test setup:
G27
Apricot Hill
Online private room
Tires : Sports Hards
grip set to real
ABS was on at 1, everything else was off (SRF, TC, etc)
Practice mode:
Note, I messed up sector one on my fastest lap in every car but the C7, thats why my "theoretical best time" is so much better.

GTR 2013 Black Edition : best real lap in 5 laps : 1:27.65X
GTR 2013 Black Edition : adding up all my best sectors lap from 6 laps (theoretical best time) : 1:27.3 (I bet I could shave a tenth off that).
GTR 2013 Black Edition : PP : 546

It was very easy to get a 27.7~ in the GTR, but got harder as I tried to lower the time. Bad brakes in this car, so that can't be right.

GT0 '82: best real lap in 5 laps : 1:27.72X
GT0 '82: theoretical best time : 1:27.2XX (still had time left, very hard car to drive)
GT0 '82: PP : 520

Very fast in a straight line VERY good brakes, not right for a car made in the 80s. Its mid-corner manner was messy but way to much front grip. I know back in 1982 a Sports Hard tire would be like a slick tire (SH tires can grip past 1G) but that won't make it out run a GTR. And at 520PP

So is the GTR slow? We know the GTO is way too fast for it's PP and well, everything.

Well I tested the C7 as a control/base.

C7 : best real lap in 5 laps : 1:28.4XX
C7 : theoretical best time : 1:27.9XX (still had time left, very hard car to drive)
C7 : PP : 538

The C7 was easier to drive than the GTR but much slower. It's Only 8PP down but I don't see it coming close to the GTR. So yes, the GTR is still fast.

So for the TL,DR people

GTR, about right, brakes aren't very good for a car that in IRL has great brakes. Also felt a "little" low on grip. Not much, just a little. It's been taken back to the real world from GT5.

GTO, WAY TO FAST!

C7, Feels right for the PP.
He was using the 07 gtr not the 2012.

That's flawed logic and neglects an important fact, yes tyres give more grip with more downward force applied but then you've forgotten to consider that the same mass pushing down on the tyres is also trying to throw the car sideways out of the corner which is far more detrimental than the traction benefit you get from having more weight over the tyres.

That's the whole reason downforce works as well as it does, you get the benefits of forcing the tyre into the ground without the negatives of that same force trying to throw the car to the outside of the corner.

Completely agree with what you said. In fact its pretty much what I said. "The extra weight may reduce your cornering ability"

As a fanboy of the Nissan GT-R, I don't want to sound like I'm a whiner but I think there's something really wrong with the car's handling in GT6. I know I have heard many people on GT5 said that this car was too dominant in the stock car/shuffle world, or that they think that the Nissan & PD partnership stirred up some conspiracy to make their flagship supercar unrealistically fast. But to be seriously honest, I think they nerfed the handling in the R35 GT-R a bit too much. I bought all the GT-Rs assuming that my favorite supercar was still going to be a cornering dream like in the previous game, but was utterly shocked when I used it online and got outpaced by an '84 Ferrari GTO on Apricot Hill (there was no tuning allowed). To make long story short the GT-R's strongest points have always been its ease of use and amazing cornering speeds, but with the way it is now I don't think the GT-R will be all that good in GT6 and that's depressing to admit coming from someone who praises this car dearly.
Question for you: Have you actually driven an real GT-R around a track at speed? Because I have, and I've never had an issue. In fact, I thought it was pretty spot on.

Why are there a bunch of threads now with people complaining about individual cars? :odd:

Question for you: Have you actually driven an real GT-R around a track at speed? Because I have, and I've never had an issue. In fact, I thought it was pretty spot on.

Why are there a bunch of threads now with people complaining about individual cars? :odd:

So which is more realistic, GT6 or GT5?

OP is correct. The R35 in GT6 does seem to handle a lot worse than what is observed in real life by other drivers.

I tried the R35 stock and was surprised - I was expecting a lot more grip.

Here's a fantastic video on how the R35 compared to the likes of the Gallardo, 911 Turbo and others!

You guys seem to forget what 288 GTO was meant to be since birth. IT *IS* a roadgoing homologation version of group B rally car, and as such, a complete monster. Personally, I feel that the GT-R's ( from R32 to R35 ) have improved greatly in the handling department. I haven't been able to afford a 288 GTO yet, but eventually I will take that under magnifying glass as well. My personal R32 and R35 GT-R's handle like dreams, they cling to the road long after the competition has gone off the woods to play tag, but then again, I tweaked the suspension etc. Even before that they displayed excellent handling. Yes, R35 is hitting above it's own weight, but laws of physics dictate that 1200kg 400bhp homologation model will always beat 1700kg+ grand tourer despite of all the tech incorporated in it.

meanwhile sivakis, the poster above you who claims to have driven a r35 in real life seems to think otherwise. So whose more credible, someone pulling vids off the internet, or the guy whose actually driven the car in real life? HM. Also we have no info on how the tires in that vid translate to a video game.

As a fanboy of the Nissan GT-R, I don't want to sound like I'm a whiner but I think there's something really wrong with the car's handling in GT6. I know I have heard many people on GT5 said that this car was too dominant in the stock car/shuffle world, or that they think that the Nissan & PD partnership stirred up some conspiracy to make their flagship supercar unrealistically fast. But to be seriously honest, I think they nerfed the handling in the R35 GT-R a bit too much. I bought all the GT-Rs assuming that my favorite supercar was still going to be a cornering dream like in the previous game, but was utterly shocked when I used it online and got outpaced by an '84 Ferrari GTO on Apricot Hill (there was no tuning allowed). To make long story short the GT-R's strongest points have always been its ease of use and amazing cornering speeds, but with the way it is now I don't think the GT-R will be all that good in GT6 and that's depressing to admit coming from someone who praises this car dearly.

Lost to a GTO? Driving a GTR? Online?

I think your car was missing a stage 3 driver swap, really need those to stay competitive.

meanwhile sivakis, the poster above you who claims to have driven a r35 in real life seems to think otherwise. So whose more credible, someone pulling vids off the internet, or the guy whose actually driven the car in real life? HM. Also we have no info on how the tires in that vid translate to a video game.

Sure, you're right that I based my R35 impressions on the video and haven't had the privilege of driving one yet and that's why my impression (albeit video-based) was a bit different to what I experienced in GT6.

If R1600Turbo has driven one before, then great! My post wasn't meant to discredit his observations - was more to share what I based mine on.

/shrug

OP is correct. The R35 in GT6 does seem to handle a lot worse than what is observed in real life by other drivers.

I tried the R35 stock and was surprised - I was expecting a lot more grip.

Here's a fantastic video on how the R35 compared to the likes of the Gallardo, 911 Turbo and others!

best motoring == GTR or NSX will always win.

Lost to a GTO? Driving a GTR? Online?

I think your car was missing a stage 3 driver swap, really need those to stay competitive.

That GTO is too fast when you push it.

And R1600Turbo has most certainly driven a GTR on a track (he made it to race camp in GT Academy).

I think its pretty realistic to real life especially the sense of stability exiting a corner. you dont have to baby it like some cars just full acceleration out of the turn which is true to its actual characteristics

Last edited:
I'm the same as you. Used the GTr Spec V and Black edition in gt5 and loved it. Even took it on Rally stages.

What editions have you tried in GT6?

The car is very capable in real life. The new 2013 GTR Nismo is the 3rd fastest car to lap nurburg. Smoked competition 10 times its category. So making the GTR fast is not about fanboism its about reflecting the cars real world performance

Fourth fastest actually, and thats obviously a modified car not the stock. Still awesome... I loved it in GT5 ... still havent tried in GT6

http://nurburgringlaptimes.com/lap-times/lap-times-top-100/

I think the problem is the strong slipstream, too strong in gt6.
I was doing an arcade race at nurb and even the AI cars were attacking me from everywhere due to the slipstream.

Lol that you don't think the weight of the car presses down onto the tyre increases "lateral grip".
The extra weight may reduce your cornering ability but it certainly will increase the amount of grip an individual tyre can provide.

I don't think, I know. Lateral force is a product of friction factor (i.e. tyre composition) and lateral and longitudinal slip angles. All the extra weight does is increase centrifugal inertia and make it easier to overcome the available grip.

What makes the GT-R and it's drivetrain so incredible is that it effectively works to overcome this through clever torque distribution by knowing exactly how much grip each tyre has at any moment

Back