Official GT Blog: "Pit Stop" by Polyphony Digital

• Thread starter Dionisiy
  • 2,207 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't heard a single car in GT6 sound impressive, raw, loud and in your face.

The Senna cars obviously are on the upper end of the scale but unfortunately other new cars like the BMW VGT sound flat.

Big parts of the problem are the base samples and the layering of sounds to create the impression of a living breathing engine.

I think the other issue is their way of surround sound positioning. It has its moments but IMHO mostly produces plastic fake wooshing sound, instead of a solid and full sound field.

I really do hope some improvements can be made for GT6.

Still waiting on GT5 update 2.18 :sly:

In all seriousness, it's absolutely embarrassing that PD doesn't have their own Dynapack. I mean really, a multimillion dollar franchise that isn't using top notch equipment. :irked: If they're hiring then they better be hiring people that know what a car sounds like and not hiring too much people with a vague understanding.

And how are they meant to transport a Dynapack to different locations around the world? And as mentioned in the blog, they are using one.

Talking about vague understanding.... did you actually read the blog? Are you aware of the size and weight of a Dynapack and what it is usually used for?

I'm actually gonna try applying for that job. I've always wanting to get into Video games as a career AND its a job at the company that makes one of my longtime favorite series, kinda hard to turn this down (along with the fact that'll I'll likely be far more useful then I was with PCARS).

I'm actually gonna try applying for that job. I've always wanting to get into Video games as a career AND its a job at the company that makes one of my longtime favorite series, kinda hard to turn this down (along with the fact that'll I'll likely be far more useful then I was with PCARS).

You're into programming?

Like most of Kaz's statements i would take the "we're hiring though" with a grain of salt.

Like most of Kaz's statements i would take the "we're hiring though" with a grain of salt.

I know, I already don't see any positions for sound engineering up at the moment but that's just from me looking at it (given I don't know my way around the site). I'm definitely keeping an eye out the moment the opportunity arrives though.

Last edited:
I actually can't believe I'm reading this to be honest. Kaz sounds like some guy working out of a garage trying to build a videogame. 7 billion people on the planet and he can't find staff? Translation: It's not a high priority and we aren't willing to invest heavily in it because it just isn't that important:tdown:. On the bright side, at least we got an answer
:odd:

All I'm reading in that blog is excuses. The Dynapack is really heavy. We don't have enough sound engineers and they don't know what they're doing. The dog ate my homework.

Yeah, it's a hard job. But when you have a budget in the tens of millions of dollars, you're expected to get the job done, not make excuses.

From what he says in that post, I expect nothing to change for GT7. They haven't got the capability to record good sounds on a large scale, and they haven't got the staff to fix it up. All the times he's been saying that they're working on improving the sounds appears to have been just fluff to throw us off.

Unless they manage to headhunt someone with serious experience in producing good sounds, expect more of the same on PS4. Hilarious that GT4 was their best game, and they're still making it ten years later.

Kaz does not make much sense though, if they already used the Dynapack on some cars, how will GT7 get new sounds when

A- some cars already use it
B- Most don't

unless I didn't understand his point.

Reactions: VBR
Go for it RACECAR, best of luck to you, though keep in mind, you'll have to compete for the spot with Vassalfada.:P

I was wondering when they was going to show footage of the crash and they had an interior shot of it, it wasn't as bad as I thought but still, glad he was ok. I wonder what was Kaz's first thought after the crash was? I bet it was aww s#!$, why nobody told me heavy damage was on!:banghead: Or he radioed in and said, it's ok guys, damage is on light, it will repair itself in a few seconds and we should have turned the visual damage off!:lol: I'm just kidding guys.;)

But in all seriousness, that was a nice video they put together and it highlights the beauty and the beast of the N24, the ups and the downs. It also highlights the fact that this blog is not "just" about Gran Turismo, the game, it's going to cover a whole range of things associated with Kaz, racing, cars, people, technology, Gran Turismo and it's developments, and hell, probably just about life itself, I'm loving it so far. That video shows the love Kaz has for the Nurburgring and that the people in his immediate circle has a lot of love and respect for him. You can see in his face at that moment he's not thinking about what a few individuals on a forum is saying about him or doesn't like him. He is focused on the task at hand and also wanting to translate the experience he and others are having at the N24 into Gran Turismo.
:bowdown:Kaz-The Man, The Myth, The Legend. Respect. Me-:cheers:-Kaz

I think recording in a closed space with all the echoing going on can be a big contributor to the issue.

Did Kaz just realize that he didn't/doesn't have enough sound staff ? ... But were only going to get an original crappy sound for each car, rather than one crap sound for multiple cars. Any way's since he just admitted to the need to add to his "precious" family (PD) some sound (newborns), why not throw in a couple of graphics infant's to upgrade Standard's (excluding duplicates). We don't want to wait for GT8 for that.

One of the new BMW M's have an interior simulated sound function that you could turn on/off, and it sounds amazing. Go ask BMW how they did it.

Last edited:
Sounds promising regarding sound of future GTs. Hearing audio from Mercedes Vision GT trailer, hopefully they can replicate that in next game. I noticed that they put an email up on that blog post so maybe worth @Jordan updating his news post with that information.

From the Editorial Department: We are currently recruiting Sound Engineers and Recording Engineers. Please email recruit_sound@polyphony.co.jp. The choice of content, style and format of any resume’s are left to the applicant.
Please note that applications can only be accepted in Japanese or English, and those who have passed the preliminary evaluation by email will be contacted by our staff.

This sounds so fake at high revs. Its like, there are 3 or 4 ferraris reving simultaneously. Its like the original sound has been multiplied by several, and its so over the top.
Guys please, stop pretending LOUDER = BETTER.

But at the engine start and in idle mode, it sounds great, thats for sure.... oh wait, PD also has perfect start up and idle sounds (when you change car in the GT garage)

Lol This is the credibility Kaz's statements have with us today lol.
When Racecar applies for the job. Kaz says " When I said "We are Hiring!" I really meant we are not hiring!"
EDIT: However, Racecar, go for it! I hope someone from GTPlanet gets this job.

Last edited:
This sounds so fake at high revs. Its like, there are 3 or 4 ferraris reving simultaneously. Its like the original sound has been multiplied by several, and its so over the top.

But at the engine start and in idle mode, it sounds great, thats for sure.... oh wait, PD also has perfect start up and idle sounds (when you change car in the GT garage)

It's not much over the top. I only heard the F12 a few times in person, but judging from those occassions and decent quality videos the sound is pretty close.

Of course it's a little exaggerated in that game/video, but it's not an unreal, completely made up sound. And it does sound exciting and great. Don't act like GT would suffer if it sounded like that.

It's not much over the top. I only heard the F12 a few times in person, but judging from those occassions and decent quality videos the sound is pretty close.

Of course it's a little exaggerated in that game/video, but it's not an unreal, completely made up sound. And it does sound exciting and great. Don't act like GT would suffer if it sounded like that.

They could put that effort into sounding different.

Guy, please stop pretending you know anything about what this car sounds like.

1:10 0-200 km/h

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back