Official GT Blog: "Pit Stop" by Polyphony Digital

• Thread starter Dionisiy
  • 2,207 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
2.0 is just wild speculation based on how GT5 was updated. Of course, 2.0 in GT5 overhauled a massive portion of the gameplay.

I just don't see that happening this time around.

There are lots of possible improvements to the GT6 gameplay, many of them already in GT5, and whose inclusion would rival GT5 Spec 2.0 update.

To name a few:
  • Course Maker
  • Rally Mode
  • B Spec
  • Endurance races in real time

There are lots of possible improvements to the GT6 gameplay, many of them already in GT5, and whose inclusion would rival GT5 Spec 2.0 update.

To name a few:
  • Course Maker
  • Rally Mode
  • B Spec
  • Endurance races in real time
That's hardly "Spec II" worthy IMO. It just gets you back to where GT5 was with a better coursemaker. A legit Spec 2 should include plenty of brand new to the series content/features.

Just my opinion, but why endurance races are such a popular topic here considering the AI is astonishing if not confusing. The only way I had fun in gt5's endurance races was to use a slower car but make less pit stops.

Just my opinion, but why endurance races are such a popular topic here considering the AI is astonishing if not confusing. The only way I had fun in gt5's endurance races was to use a slower car but make less pit stops.
Wasn't really that popular generally speaking either, not just among GTP members, at least in terms of full completion. Probably why it was dropped for GT6.

upload_2014-11-18_15-43-1.png

One of the lowest ranked of all the trophies measured for GT5. Source

I used to have to spend a lot of time in earlier GT's to tune a car that was good in the corners, but also one that if you drove it hard and accurate only then you could keep pace with the AI, so that was like 50 to 100 PP less if i remember right. It was possible to have good races then, the grand valley 300km i must have done 30 times or something.

Also with the spread out field in current GT's because of that chase the rabbit formula, you would have more time to catch the rabbit in like say 10 or 20 laps which would give a more realistic feeling than having to make up for a 30 second difference in 5 laps like it is now.

If GT6 would get an endurance mode with five or so 2 -4 hour races, and a nur/le mans/spa francorchamps 24 hour race i would probably visit a bargain shelve the next day.

Last edited:
Wasn't really that popular generally speaking either, not just among GTP members, at least in terms of full completion. Probably why it was dropped for GT6.

View attachment 258178

I'm sure more people would have completed them (myself included), if they had added mid-race saves earlier in GT5s life. By the time they were introduced I was completely over the concept. Still did everything apart from the 24 hour races though. I'd welcome them to GT6 with open arms.

More content/choice is always better than less in my opinion.

I'm sure more people would have completed them (myself included), if they had added mid-race saves earlier in GT5s life. By the time they were introduced I was completely over the concept. Still did everything apart from the 24 hour races though. I'd welcome them to GT6 with open arms.

Unfortunately it's only Kaz's opinion that counts in this regard. I'm of the opinion that a huge part of what was cut from GT6 was in relation to these and other stats compiled from user activity. If you look through the Trophy List you'll notice that all the least popular items are either gone or minimized in GT6. Rally, AMG Driving Academy, Special Events, Karting, Endurance Racing etc.

View attachment 258178

When I look at some other games, that percentage is still fairly high.

Plus the amount of grinding required to unlock them was a lot. With the significantly lower amount of grinding to unlock events in GT6, and mid-race saves, it could be a lot higher.

Unfortunately it's only Kaz's opinion that counts in this regard. I'm of the opinion that a huge part of what was cut from GT6 was in relation to these and other stats compiled from user activity. If you look through the Trophy List you'll notice that all the least popular items are either gone or minimized in GT6. Rally, AMG Driving Academy, Special Events, Karting, Endurance Racing etc.

You make a good point regarding the low level of completion of the endurance races. But I think the statistic is a bit misleading. To fully complete the whole series of the endurance stuff was a really big commitment of time and effort, so a low completion level isn't necessarily an indicator that they weren't popular in general. I never did them all, although I liked them a lot, and wish they would introduce them into GT6. I didn't get all gold in the AMG academy, either, but loved it.

Last edited:

View attachment 258178

I do wonder a bit how much that's due to people being put off by 24 hour races. I imagine that a 2 hour race is somewhat interesting to most people who like racing, at least as a one off thing to do. A 4 hour race might be OK even.

A 24 hour race in Gran Turismo isn't even fun, it's just a test of whether you're willing to put that much time into a single race without doing anything else. People who raced online regularly couldn't do them.

Had there been a proper mid-race save system and B-Spec assistance there probably would have been higher completion. Or they could just make a sensible race length for a game, probably somewhere between 45 minutes and 3 hours. I figure if you have to stop to go to the bathroom in the middle, it's too long.

If you do one of the 2.4 hour races on iRacing it's incredibly exhausting. Because you're actually having to drive hard and be on edge for pretty much the whole time it's really, really difficult. I don't think making a race any longer than that in a game without driver swaps does anything useful.

I do wonder a bit how much that's due to people being put off by 24 hour races. I imagine that a 2 hour race is somewhat interesting to most people who like racing, at least as a one off thing to do. A 4 hour race might be OK even.

A 24 hour race in Gran Turismo isn't even fun, it's just a test of whether you're willing to put that much time into a single race without doing anything else. People who raced online regularly couldn't do them.

Had there been a proper mid-race save system and B-Spec assistance there probably would have been higher completion. Or they could just make a sensible race length for a game, probably somewhere between 45 minutes and 3 hours. I figure if you have to stop to go to the bathroom in the middle, it's too long.

If you do one of the 2.4 hour races on iRacing it's incredibly exhausting. Because you're actually having to drive hard and be on edge for pretty much the whole time it's really, really difficult. I don't think making a race any longer than that in a game without driver swaps does anything useful.
On gt4 you had the chance of switching driver with your B spec driver and even speed up the race.
I really can't understand what happened from there, i mean, as a basic b spec it was perfect.

I'm of the opinion that a huge part of what was cut from GT6 was in relation to these and other stats compiled from user activity. If you look through the Trophy List you'll notice that all the least popular items are either gone or minimized in GT6. Rally, AMG Driving Academy, Special Events, Karting, Endurance Racing etc.
Frankly, I'm not suprised by the low trophy stats, however I'd be scratching my head if they have indeed cut them from GT6 based on those stats - something that Amar212 have speculated about as well some time ago.

One of the biggest issues with endurance races in GT5 were the fact that they required a certain A-Spec level in order to be able to enter them. That meant tedious grinding all the way to level 40 for the 24h races. That is, in my opinion, poor game design. The Special Events aren't worthy of any praise either.

Overall, quite a few of those trophies took a lot of time and dedication. Combine that with the rather poor design decisions and you have an average completion of 24%.

But hey, blame the player. Right, PD? Right?!

Agree totally, but I can't think it's just a coincidence that all the numbers with low completion got dropped. It's pure speculation of course but it seems they just looked at the trophy figures and dropped everything on the low end. It's a silly way to do things, and unimaginative if that's what happened.

Agree totally, but I can't think it's just a coincidence that all the numbers with low completion got dropped. It's pure speculation of course but it seems they just looked at the trophy figures and dropped everything on the low end. It's a silly way to do things, and unimaginative if that's what happened.

You're right, there's no guarantee that they had someone who understands statistics take a look at those numbers. And it would be a lot less work to just say "Hey, endurance races are low overall, chuck them out!" than it would be to try and establish which features of longer races are most appealing and work on presenting those.

its in Engrish can hardly read it but there was something about dirty racing and srf off . couldnt get the jist of the rest to be honest

Quick match is is possible to participate in feel free to incandescent the race, I sometimes want to sometimes encountered dirty race.Because this race was UP prize money also greatly, let everyone Kokorogakeyo the Gentle driving experience!

and another bit

First contains the adjustment from the world-events that the image of a popular GT3 category first.Use grade up the upper limit of the tire to the soft tire from the hard tire.Adoption of skid recovery force also I have been revised.Change to easy specification treats even expert in beginner.And we added a Gran Turismo original race car to line up "Corvette ZO6 (C6) LM race car."It is cool popular models are easy to handle.

I quite liked b-spec, I liked watching my cars that ive tuned / painted being driven by someone / something other than me, a bit like watching a replay with the added bonus of getting cash after 5 - 10 minutes.

Also its a great money maker while you eat / sleep / work.
Just send bob on his way & go about your business for the day.

Also I was part of that 1.8% that enjoyed the endurance racing, I think its a big part of GT & I miss it even if others don't.

I quite liked b-spec, I liked watching my cars that ive tuned / painted being driven by someone / something other than me, a bit like watching a replay with the added bonus of getting cash after 5 - 10 minutes.

Also its a great money maker while you eat / sleep / work.
Just send bob on his way & go about your business for the day.

Also I was part of that 1.8% that enjoyed the endurance racing, I think its a big part of GT & I miss it even if others don't.
...all this and the b-spec-GT4-style; you ride with your team in endurance races...

You're right, there's no guarantee that they had someone who understands statistics take a look at those numbers. And it would be a lot less work to just say "Hey, endurance races are low overall, chuck them out!" than it would be to try and establish which features of longer races are most appealing and work on presenting those.

The general about face around here regarding how important they are is definitely amusing to see, though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back