Online or offline laptimes faster? (Before race begin or normal tires wear on short races)

• Thread starter steve nfs
  • 16 comments
Malaysia
Malaysia
steve_NFS
Online fastest lap time can be done even faster than time trial mode? Just wanted to know is it possible if set the fuel on & no tires wear or change to new tires when the fuel remain one quarter only & start to do flying laps after 1 lap warming up the new tires. This actually need your consistency on your favorite car & track. Right? No one tested this as I know since GT5. Just wanted to know the result... Tsukuba Circuit, Tokyo, Brand Hatch GP Circuit, Suzuka Circuit, Big Willow & etc.

Last edited:
So I was testing various levels of tyre wear the other day and thought I could part test your question whilst I was at it. In short, I setup a private lobby at ran sets of 10 laps at Brands GP. At the end of each 10 laps, I pitted for fresh tyres and didn't top the fuel up. On my first set of 10 laps, I actually posted my fastest time on my 9th lap, I put this down to requiring a few laps to get my eye in with the particular car I was driving. On lap 12, my first hot lap on hot tyres, I beat my previous best by 0.300. Fresh tyres and no fuel on lap 20 and by lap 22 I beat my previous best by 0.500. Unfortunately I stuffed it on lap 32 (the pressure got to me), I was 0.250 up at the second time split but had already lost it off the left-hander where you leave the Indy circuit. Throughout my testing, I was regularly able to make up time on the GP section of the track, to lose it all on the Indy section, where downforce wasn't able to compensate for degraded tyres.

Conjecture leads me to believe that if you had the patience, then yes, you could run faster times with tyre/fuel depletion turned on, as you might perhaps expect 👍

{Cy}

Wow! You have proven that it is doneable like the real world just alike F1! Is it the laps you done online even if the fuel quite full doesn't different much from offline time trial with nowadays online technologlies? My hope is the laptimes are same or very close cos tuners/racers setted their tunes in time trial mode much much satisfied! Thks very much for your GT6 encyclopedia great test ! Good best luck for you...

Last edited:
I have always found, from my own comparisons, that the offline mode (free run from garage is my primary selection offline) is consistently faster than online (for me anyway, last comparison I did was a few months ago) as offline gives you no fuel weight penalty and tyres have 0 degradation. I prefer to do all my tuning online with tyre wear for better balance during the degradation phases. The racing I do with a regular crew, we tend to stick to a 10-11 lap event with fast wear on, pit stops are never mandatory so different people run different strategies depending on their cars fuel use and tyre wear. We've had some good races where it's been a close finish multiple times between a single stopper and no stopper racer strategy.

As you said offline don't hv fuel penalty, just wanted to know about the laptimes if online before race competition, is it about the same timing as offline? As I know if you tune your car to withstand the tires wear, the laptimes will be slower a lot & this is not a really good strategy for 50 laps above races, almost like using a harder compound of tires right? As I know running fast lap is totally easier than over take a same level opponent...right?

Last edited:
Offline is way faster. Over a second in many cases. Sometimes more, depending on the car. The physics are different offline.

You won't be faster than you are offline, until you get down around a half tank and then the laps start to go down by a fair amount. If you're faster online than you are offline, you're driving better, because there is just no way that is the case. No one is faster online than they are offline. After doing over 50k miles in GT6, xyz hard tires offline seem to be about as fast as fresh softs of the same category.

Last edited:
??? Over a second is a huge differences in racing world! Cos Legit tunes & DolHaus has the experiences to agree that it is 1/100th second different between online lobby test (not race) & time trial mode...

??? Over a second is a huge differences in racing world! Cos Legit tunes & DolHaus has the experiences to agree that it is 1/100th second different between online lobby test (not race) & time trial mode...
Then take their advice. Ask other people who race online competetively. I skip over everything each of those two writes. Not even going to get into dolhaus, but legit won't use certain tires, so I would venture off and say he doesn't have the experience to make comments like that.

Look at the seasonal time trial times. More or less everyone matches their online times using soft tires with hard tires offline. Given that most time trials are on xyz hard tire. Racing hards offline are even faster than softs online. Sport tires are not as dramatic, but they're still way faster offline. You can carry silly speed through turns. There is far more grip offline and the tires aren't continuously deteriorating.

This is why so many people tune online. Tuning offline always produces a trash setup for online physics.

Last edited:
Offline TT mode is faster than online with tire wear off. Online with tire wear off is faster than online with tire wear on. Offline TT is multiple seconds faster than online with tire wear on.

Offline TT mode is faster than online with tire wear off. Online with tire wear off is faster than online with tire wear on. Offline TT is multiple seconds faster than online with tire wear on.

Ok, buddies I will try to test it with my time trial zero drivers aids tunes ( Renault Clio RS '11) 289hp, 1054kg sport hard tires, no wing, +"1 wheels once my online is done at my home. Currently my lap time is 1:37.830 Brand Hatch GP. (Still under tuning to achieve a low 1:37.** without any drivers aids with DS3).

Last edited:
DSC_0162.jpg
The Black EK is race online 4 laps while the red one is on time trial offline. Both cars also tune & race with no drivers aids. 500PP FWD cars. Sport soft at Brand Hatch GP. The laptimes difference are very less.(DS3)
DSC_0166.jpg

Last edited:
The Black EK is race online 4 laps while the red one is on time trial offline. Both cars also tune & race with no drivers aids. 500PP FWD cars. Sport soft at Brand Hatch GP. The laptimes difference are very less.
So you ran a 1:32.748 online and a 1:32.982 offline? Did you have tyre/fuel depletion turned on for the online laps?

{Cy}

So you ran a 1:32.748 online and a 1:32.982 offline? Did you have tyre/fuel depletion turned on for the online laps?

{Cy}

Not aware of it cos is outsider room. One thing proven is, the laptimes almost same as the offline time trial when you race 4 laps cos tires & fuel still as same as time trial. Maybe because I tune without drivers aids with my DS3. Friends said it's suitable for online races, even using steering...or ABS 1

P.S: Could be more faster just like you tested when the fuel is very less.

Last edited:
So I was testing various levels of tyre wear the other day and thought I could part test your question whilst I was at it. In short, I setup a private lobby at ran sets of 10 laps at Brands GP. At the end of each 10 laps, I pitted for fresh tyres and didn't top the fuel up. On my first set of 10 laps, I actually posted my fastest time on my 9th lap, I put this down to requiring a few laps to get my eye in with the particular car I was driving. On lap 12, my first hot lap on hot tyres, I beat my previous best by 0.300. Fresh tyres and no fuel on lap 20 and by lap 22 I beat my previous best by 0.500. Unfortunately I stuffed it on lap 32 (the pressure got to me), I was 0.250 up at the second time split but had already lost it off the left-hander where you leave the Indy circuit. Throughout my testing, I was regularly able to make up time on the GP section of the track, to lose it all on the Indy section, where downforce wasn't able to compensate for degraded tyres.

Conjecture leads me to believe that if you had the patience, then yes, you could run faster times with tyre/fuel depletion turned on, as you might perhaps expect 👍

{Cy}

Exactly, depends on setting the tires wear slow or fast...

{Cy}

You can see by the screenshots that the fuel and tyres are both max values so tyre wear is not on :)

Did you change the wording of your first post Steve? (post does say edited) because I don't remember half the statements in there being there :/

Yes, for consistency racer,is proven that laptimes are very close online/offline before races with all the fuel & tires wear on. Just add Tokyo for some tuner to do experimental for slow, medium or fast tires/fuel wear. The picture above is slow wear on 4 laps race.

Last edited:
Back