Gran Turismo OVERTAKES!! Warning! Heavy photos and high Drama.

Canada
Canada
photonrider

Show us a sequence of pictures that demonstrate a clean overtake using the driving simulator known as Gran Turismo 6.

I'll start out with this: The Corkscrew at Laguna Seca - and I'm in the Pagani Huayra. The Ford blocked me as I tried to pass him on his right shortly after we swung down the corkscrew. I had to dodge left quick and took the gap he unwittingly provided. :)

Here's looking forward to some great action from you guys!
:cheers:
Harry.

Last edited:
I've got a severely close overtaking shot but it was taken in GT5 unfortunately, I haven't had any real close overtaking just yet in 6 but when I do.... ;)

I've got a severely close overtaking shot but it was taken in GT5 unfortunately, I haven't had any real close overtaking just yet in 6 but when I do.... ;)

Doesn't have to be too close - though in fact a little 'legal' rubbing may be permitted. The exercise here is to plan and execute, or find (while racing in real time) an opportunity to make, if not a 'perfect' pass, a pass that has some sort of spectator value - while retaining the spirit of racing cleanly . . . and well.
In addition to this if the overtake is at a crucial corner, or even a well-known straight, it will show off that section of the track. The choice of cars used adds to the interest.
Time of day and weather are other factors that will enhance mood, lighting, and the actual overtake - again all factors that will add to the drama (and the lesson) in the sequence of pictures.

The corkscrew at Seca is a great place for an overtake. Try it. And let's see your little drama.

You aren't unfamiliar to me - so I am most certainly looking forward to what you will cook up. :D

Meanwhile, I have a few other interesting overtakes, with certainly interesting vehicles, but I'll let you guys fill up here a bit first - no hurry - GT6 is still warm.

In fact . . . blazing.

:cheers:

A shame that this thread dropped back so far. I'm sure there are a good few sequences out there by now to keep this going.

Okay, not tight as in tricky...but I always have problems passing here.
Le Mans Toyota TS030 28.jpg
Le Mans Toyota TS030 29.jpg
Le Mans Toyota TS030 32.jpg
Le Mans Toyota TS030 36.jpg

Nice job keeping that Tamora down, @ScotteDawg. Threading the needle at Bathhurst must have been fun, too. :D .

@MeanElf - you're right - we shouldn't let this slip - so many great overtakes in our daily drive with GT. I have a bunch of incidents shot and stored away - and am presently trying to find the time to upload some sequences. Sweet work with the Hybrid, too - that must have been an incredibly quick move - inches apart, blinding speed, and a corner to deal with . . . heh heh . . . fun.

:D Well, now, seems like we're being overtaken by a flood of overtakes! :lol:

Okay - here's my story (and I'm stickin' to it):

Some time past midnight and I'm cruising the highway alone tooling my Nardo along, wondering if I could nudge that needle past the 250 MPH mark, when suddenly . . .

SpecialStageRoute7_5_zps10b7ed90.jpg

. . . a gaggle of geezers in LMs ahead of me! What the heck? At this time of the night? In the split second I caught up to them I realised they were actually racing each other at well over 180 MPH. I swung over to the left hoping to sneak past them quick; the leader was way over to the right . . . until I started to make my move (all in a split second) and then he started to drift over towards me, trying to edge me into the wall . . .

SpecialStageRoute7_4_zps36666a0f.jpg

SpecialStageRoute7_3_zps4c204d2b.jpg

I fled through the gap, holding my speed, as, with all the room left to the right of him, the bugger tries to shove me into the wall.

SpecialStageRoute7_2_zpsa1793d60.jpg

And then I was through and away like a bat out of hell.

SpecialStageRoute7_1_zpscfd05e5e.jpg

Not going to mess with LMs. Them things are way too fast for me and my Nardo. Guess I'll just stay out of their way.

SpecialStageRoute7_zpsb121ba73.jpg

Should I ask what were you driving here? Near to trading paint with a 2D makes me shiver. :lol:

I really like this sequence - but there is something missing - there is the approach, and there is the extremely clean pass - but where is the 'follow-through', the 'get-away' ; that moment a second or so after you've got in front of the opponent? I'd love to see what happened here in the next second-and-a-half moment frozen in time.

_______

@Kodje - your pics leave me dazed, if not actually dazzled; you must be a great racer if it is you yourself featured driving in those pics. Do keep 'em coming. I see some great overtakes in there, though I would have liked to see more of each individual attack - before, during the pass (like most of the pics in your post) and after. You can be sure I'll watch for you online; obviously you are also fun to race with. 👍

_______

I dove deeply after this Lotus, in my Z and ended up treading mud . . .

BrandsHatchGrandPrixCircuit_4_zps8539d64f.jpg

. . . but . . . Aha! Hold on. This puts me a car's-length away and all straightened-out for a run at that corner . . .

BrandsHatchGrandPrixCircuit_3_zpsce85de34.jpg

Pedal to the metal now and hustling for the corner:

BrandsHatchGrandPrixCircuit_2_zps4208290f.jpg

Mine! The corner is mine!

BrandsHatchGrandPrixCircuit_1_zps597629a9.jpg

Phew.

BrandsHatchGrandPrixCircuit_zpsb205e5fc.jpg

Best to high-tail it now. :)

You would think that driving home peacefully for dinner that you could get home in time in one piece. . ..
But no . . . approaching the Aremberg Bridge I come across a Merc and a Beemer duking it out; the Beemer trying to creep through on the inside while the Merc was trying to shove them further down the track.

NuumlrburgringNordschleife_6_zps0542d214.jpg

Seeing the gap on the left of the Merc, I plunged ahead, the RGT responding as prancefully as ever:

NuumlrburgringNordschleife_5_zpsf77d82eb.jpg

The Beemer fights back, coming up the embankment and challenging the Merc, who moves upward now trying to shove me off on the offside - all this happening in split seconds.

NuumlrburgringNordschleife_4_zps4fa72ff7.jpg

Now I'm thinking that these bastards may have been working together and were planning to trap me here. I instantly feed my lady more gas and she leaps forward into the gap:

NuumlrburgringNordschleife_3_zps0585199c.jpg

She responds instantly and I tele-port the necessary few yards that takes me into the clear and away from these sea-gherkins.

NuumlrburgringNordschleife_2_zps9b64eb0d.jpg

I give the RGT legs and she gallops out of there chasing photons - like she could actually catch them. :)

NuumlrburgringNordschleife_zpse50db2ec.jpg

This is one great car for fun overtakes.

Great work SolidS2000 ! Makes me want to take the Merc out, too. Overtakes at Willow can be really hairy - you most certainly are showing what can be done there.

Here's another overtake puzzle - just imagine oneself in this position:

NuumlrburgringNordschleife_21_zps25d56549.jpg

Yup. Looks like the race is over - no chance but to stay cool and enjoy second place on the podium.

Or is it? What if a bit of sneak-up speed, some judicious braking . . .

NuumlrburgringNordschleife_20_zpsd7a38cb3.jpg

Hmmmmmm.......drag?

NuumlrburgringNordschleife_19_zps9ef99221.jpg

Yes! Thank you O Holy Track-maker, most green and high, candy-striped, and rumble-stripped . . . you gave me a bit of extra track . . . t-t-thank you ....

NuumlrburgringNordschleife_18_zps35e8dd5b.jpg

Yes, Lord, I am, I am, I am using the extra piece you gave me . . . . *pant.

NuumlrburgringNordschleife_17_zps285d8661.jpg

See? My foot has become a brick? I can do no more but sit still. And go.
Why is he going faster, too? That's not fair.

NuumlrburgringNordschleife_16_zps01182850.jpg

Brrrrrrrrmmmmmmm......brm!brm!brm!!

NuumlrburgringNordschleife_15_zpsdb4d1658.jpg

Never quit till the flag drops. :)

NuumlrburgringNordschleife_14_zpseaa95817.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Photonrider, it's by no means my favorite track to race on, but it does have many exciting moments. You seem to have some very close finishes and tricky passes too! Your last pass on the Nurburgring was very impressive to say the least!

NSX Type-R '02 vs Ford Mustang Boss 302 @ Circuito di Roma

This guy in the 'Stang had the legs on me in on the straights, and I almost had him after a good exit out of a hairpin turn, but a missed transition from 3rd to 4th gear gave him back any ground I had made up. I entered his slipstream and caught back up a bit before having to slow down slightly for the next left/right combo. I left a bit of a gap between us so I wouldn't have to slow down as much knowing I had much better cornering speeds, and this proved true as I managed to get a great exit and slip past him on the right and my extra speed carried me through to the lead and the race win.

Civic Type-R Touring Car vs Mitsubishi Evolution VI @ Mount Panorama Motor Racing Circuit

A good exit out of a series of fast paced corners allowed me to make this daring pass close to the wall, which felt a lot closer than it looks. I also managed to out-brake the Nissan R34 GT-R into the next sequence of corners.

Apricot Hill - 20 Minutes Endurance
The Viper was faster in straight but we were much faster in the whole lap. We made a very fast pit-stop so we reduced the distance from 10 seconds to only 3 seconds.
Apricot Hill Raceway_7.jpg

In the last lap we were about to take our last chance.
Apricot Hill Raceway_9.jpg

^Here is the moment of the overtake. Our highspeed was 250 km/h so we took advantage of our brakes and light weight.
Apricot Hill Raceway_10.jpg

^The here, they are trying to push us out because the Viper is Heavier. Little they knew that we were wearing Medium tires at the front so we were even faster at corners.
Apricot Hill Raceway_12.jpg

After all, we took the victory at only 0.05 seconds.

I have to say that we used the same car & the same configuration (Front: Medium, Back: Hard) in the endurance "15 laps at Brands Hatch" with 0 pitstops and 30 seconds before the second classified.

@SolidS2000 - Nice clean passes - even more so because they were high-speed and tricky. I like the way you lay out what happened - we all learn from these passes.

@otis21 - An exciting finish like that, especially when you bring back an undamaged car after some daring moves that were only possible because of that particular car, can be a very satisfying finish. A replay worth saving for watching over and over and, of course, a source of great photos of the action. Nice shots!

@NordicSwede - What a helluva start! :D Fortunately you kept control and snaked through the general mayhem. gaining six positions in the first 30 secs of the game must be some kind of record. :lol: Good action and something to learn there, too: 'Keep calm and carry on racing.'

Now . . . question for you Ultra Clean Overtakers:

Should I go, or should I stay?

CircuitodiRoma_340_zpsf47268f7.jpg

:sly:

Uh, yeah . . . I'm in the V16T. Morvan, the Gold Rabbit is in the Dino.

Back