Playing the game without buying cars

• Thread starter fcorl
  • 32 comments
I got GT5 when it came out and played a lot. But I have 2 little kids and I haven't had as much time and haven't played in at least a year. I never finished GT3 or GT4... But I said when I bought GT5 that I would go as far as I could without buying ANY cars (with the exception of the 1st car to start the game), or even making any upgrades to cars.

Have any of you tried this? I will post up my % finished next time I look.

I have golds in all of my license tests except iB and iA... I can still get a couple cars by finishing this up. And I still can get a few cars by getting golds in couple of the special events. But, I am running out of races to win in A-Spec because I lack the cars to enter. I got a 71' Cuda when I logged in on my birthday yesterday, (I didn't log in last year). That gave me a muscle car for a couple of the muscle car races.... but it's not enough without upgrading the car... which is against what I wanted to do. Can you win cars in B-Spec?

Last edited:
Thanks... yeah, it's not about money. Obviously I have millions. haha.... I haven't spent any. I just want to see how far I can get without buying a single thing.

This just gave me an idea. I'm going to start a new career using only shared cars from my friends list. That's one way to do it without buying a car.

This just gave me an idea. I'm going to start a new career using only shared cars from my friends list. That's one way to do it without buying a car.

Bah... cheater. Lol.

texts friend: "Yo, can you buy me a late model Japanese Car and throw a Racing Tans and Turbo on for me. OK, Thanks..."

You can almost go through the whole game without buying cars, the game rewards you cars that you will need 👍 this can't get you through the whole thing though..

...But I said when I bought GT5 that I would go as far as I could without buying ANY cars (with the exception of the 1st car to start the game), or even making any upgrades to cars.
Kudos to you sir. I reckon you'll manage it...mostly. As has been pointed out, B-Spec does give you cars too, including the Toyota Minolta 88CV which you'll need, though I don't think you'll get the F1 GT as lunarwolf says as prize from any races.

Good luck.

Check the prize car list from there you can plan your journey, hopping from one event to another. But eventually you'll need to buy some cars, not only the FGT.
Not like GT4, here you can only win prize car once. Some events will give you level ticket of a few randomized car it depend on you. If you want to go straight, you can only redeem it once, but if you want to play around a bit, you can redeem and restart the game whenever you didnt get the desired car.

Have a nice journey !

Thanks Guys! I know I can't finish it... but we'll see how far I get. diptob, I got to go straight! haha. I will post up my % and keep it updated... At some point I guess I will need to buy some car upgrades though if I want to compete in some of these races.... like dirt tires, engine, transmission upgrades, etc.

OK I am very curious how far one could get in GT5 without "buying a car." There's a lot of creativity and interpretation to be taken in approaching the game this way, as others have suggested with trading cars, repeating tickets, etc. Have fun! Good luck! Keep us posted!

hi,

you will need to buy a few cars other than the first, ie the Formula Gran Turismo

here is a guide which is pretty usefull if you want to buiy the min amount of cars http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/gran-turismo-5/81077-race-series-guide-career-seasonal-events.html

it was usefull when i started the game, but tbh nowdays with weekly seasonal event payoffs it is easy to get money fast
Not necessarily. You can win the F1 from a level 24 ticket, which you can win by completing all the endurance races. In fact, all cars can be won in some way or another, so theoretically it is possible to complete the game without any purchases.

Tried to do that before as well. FGT is one car you may need to buy though completing enduros in a spec can net you one 30% of the time. Other car is the Lamborghini gallardo.
You can work out which cars are must buy from one of garbuckle's matrix.

Not necessarily. You can win the F1 from a level 24 ticket, which you can win by completing all the endurance races. In fact, all cars can be won in some way or another, so theoretically it is possible to complete the game without any purchases.

F1 is not the FGT and you need the FGT for the A-spec FGT event :rolleyes:. furthermore the F1 will not help you complete the game since there are no events in Special, A or B spec that allow you to use it. you can only use the F1 in Ferrari F1 races only which is either arcade mode, practice run or specific Seasonal events, none of which count towards game completion

as gtnoobie said you will need to buy some additional cars like the Gallardo, also i think i had to buy a Corvette zr1, not sure if i had to buy anything else, maybe a Mini

Last edited:
Can you actualy do this though. What about the races that you need a specific car on like the gearman tour and things like that?

woops just saw the post above question answered. I read his post the wrong way some how in my mind i was reading a totaly diff. thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
F1 is not the FGT and you need the FGT for the A-spec FGT event :rolleyes:. furthermore the F1 will not help you complete the game since there are no events in Special, A or B spec that allow you to use it. you can only use the F1 in Ferrari F1 races only which is either arcade mode, practice run or specific Seasonal events, none of which count towards game completion

as gtnoobie said you will need to buy some additional cars like the Gallardo, also i think i had to buy a Corvette zr1, not sure if i had to buy anything else, maybe a Mini
By F1 I meant the FGT, as it is an F1 car. Sorry for the confusion.

The Gallardo and Corvette can both be won from a 1000 ticket, but of course the odds are pretty low. Still, if you are okay with backing up the save, you can get them each after quite a bit of effort.

The point is that every car is a prize car from something, so with a lot of work (or luck) you can get anything without buying it, thus it's definitely possible. If you want to do it without backing up and resetting your tickets, it is still possible, but it is also possible to fail if you don't get the cars you need from the necessary tickets.

I just set up a fresh console for my friend.
Upon starting a new game you will be awarded with Toyota 86GT.
It may come in handy :)

I'd say DLC most certainly counts as buying a car... you are paying real money for it!

I've thought this through.... I will NOT use DLC and I will not set up new accts, etc. as a cheat to get cars either. My initial goal was to see how far I could get WITHIN the game taking only what the game gives me. I will only take and use what the game gives to me as a prize. I won a car last night for completing "2K KM" or something like that. Decent Race Car that I used in a Japanese Make Championship series in Expert mode. It easily won that. So, I am slowly moving into territory where I will win some more useful cars.

Haven't been back in a while.... I stopped for a while when I hit the wall.... Then I came back fresh and decided I needed to upgrade some cars to compete is some of the races, like buy dirt and snow tires. I also upgraded/tuned other cars to compete in the endurance races (like the Cuda in the first Lvl 25 "American Muscle Car race"). So, now about 40% done.

Another question... I have raced in one seasonal event and won trophies for all, but not all gold... I've won "horns" and "paint", etc, but no cars. Do I need all gold to get Cars? I've also won golds in Every NASCAR Special Event except the last won... lol. Still come in 12th place (last) every damn time. I don't know what the hell to do there. haha... But when I do I assume I will win a "stock car". Now that i've opened endurance races, I assume I will move along much quicker.

Back