Playstation 3 System Update Thread

Current Version is 3.50 which gives us new Facebook integration (Functional in Sports Champions) and cleans up some support for unlicensed 3rd party products*

*Note: May disable a small selection of 3rd Party Controllers from MadCatz, as well as some controller converters like the XBC.

Last edited:
Looks like a major update will be coming in March.

Joystiq
During his appearance at a meet-and-greet for semi-official Sony blog ThreeSpeech, Phil Harrison allegedly confirmed a major PlayStation 3 firmware update would be rolled out in March to coincide with the console's launch in Europe (should the delay rumor prove false). According to an unidentified attendee, Harrison outlined some of the features to be included in the update, expanding on SCEE VP of Technology Paul Holman's hint that the update would focus on improving PS3's capabilities as a media center:
  • Multi-tasking; includes voice/video-chat while browsing XMB
  • Auto-resume for downloads from PlayStation Store
  • PSP Remote Play upgrade (access PS3 media via WiFi connection)
  • New animations during audio playback
  • Enhanced photo album functionality
  • Additional XMB display options

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/12/13/sony-talks-spring-cleaning-major-ps3-firmware-update-in-the-wor/

Is there one to upgrade the horrible way PS2 games look on the PS3? :yuck:

Games MUST be played in 480p to look good if that's an option. That's no good. Once my PS3 comes in, I plan to upgrade it at once.

Honestly, for me... Once you play a PS3 title, it's terribly hard to play a PS2. It's like going back to a PSOne title on the PS2. You can do it, but..... How many of us really enjoy it?

;)

Is there one to upgrade the horrible way PS2 games look on the PS3? :yuck:

Games MUST be played in 480p to look good if that's an option. That's no good. Once my PS3 comes in, I plan to upgrade it at once.

I dont' know, it depends on what you're connecting it through, and what set it's viewed on, contrary to reports. If you want proof, I can post pictures from a PS3 on an SDTV.

Thing is, if PS2 games are played on PS3 via Component or HDMI, sadly, they look worse, because the PS3 actually enhances the imperfections...

But, since FFXII and God of War 2 are the only 2 titles I'll be playing on my PS3, and I won't have a new HDTV until March / Apr, I'm not too concerned...life really sucks since my HDTV broke though :(

I dont' know, it depends on what you're connecting it through, and what set it's viewed on, contrary to reports. If you want proof, I can post pictures from a PS3 on an SDTV.

Thing is, if PS2 games are played on PS3 via Component or HDMI, sadly, they look worse, because the PS3 actually enhances the imperfections...

But, since FFXII and God of War 2 are the only 2 titles I'll be playing on my PS3, and I won't have a new HDTV until March / Apr, I'm not too concerned...life really sucks since my HDTV broke though :(

Actually, I've seen shots on HDMI and composite. Both, look horrible. I think it's a problem with anti-aliasing. Side by side with a PS2, PS3 was terrible.

Looks like I've got no choice but keep my PS2 for a while. :grumpy:

Actually, I've seen shots on HDMI and composite. Both, look horrible. I think it's a problem with anti-aliasing. Side by side with a PS2, PS3 was terrible.

Looks like I've got no choice but keep my PS2 for a while. :grumpy:

I honestly think it depends on the Set. Though I couldn't test my HDTV out (since it busted 2 weeks before I got my PS3) I did take it over to my friends house.

His HDTV is a Samsun, though max res is 720p (well it does 1080i as well).

I digress. Via HDMI, the problem was amplified significantly, however, when connected through composite, the problems were significantly less "problematic" and it actually looked better.

On an SDTV, however, there are no problems what so ever. Also note that this problem is NOT present in all PS2 games on PS3.

I've been reading that this is a huge problem for everybody. This is what one guy posted.

"PS3's HDMI out only supports 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p. It cannot output a 480i signal from HDMI. But all PS1 and most PS2 games are only 480i . . . so what does this mean?

Basically, the PS3 performs deinterlacing on the 480i signals from PS1/PS2 games so that it can output via the minimum 480p through HDMI. However, it does a very poor job of deinterlacing! Not only are there severe combing artifacts, but there is also a built in 2-3 frame lag, the same lag you would feel if you were to feed a 480i signal straight to your HDTV.

Currently, the only way to avoid the lag is by outputting to an external scaler which can properly (and quickly) deinterlace the 480i signal. However, since the PS3 forces 480p on PS1/PS2 games through HDMI, there is a built-in input lag which affects all games and cannot be avoided. That means that the PS3 owners who paid large amounts of money for the iScan VP series will not be able to play PS1/PS2 games lag-free via HDMI, even with the "Game Mode" enabled.

The PS1/PS2 games DO output 480i with Composite, S-Video, and Component cables. However, with Component cables as you know, the Blu-ray constraint token prevents you from getting a 1080p signal. Additionally, most HDTVs can't even accept 1080p via Component.

This means that you'll lose 1080p if you go through Component, but if you use HDMI all PS1/PS2 games will have built-in input lag.

No 1080i support was one thing, but I'm in a state of utter disbelief that the PS3 cannot properly output a video signal via Component nor HDMI. Since the PS3 cannot output both a Component and HDMI signal simultaneously, the only way to work around this issue currently is to tediously change output modes in the system settings every time you want to play a Blu-ray movie or PS1/PS2 game. This is completely unacceptable and should be addressed immediately.

There are many possible fixes for this problem that could be implemented in a future firmware. Here are just a few of the ways that Sony could fix this issue:

1) 480i output could be allowed via HDMI so that users could properly deinterlace PS1/PS2 titles with seperate hardware.
2) There could be an option to automatically switch to the AV Multiout (Component) for PS1/PS2 games, while using HDMI output for other material.

or, the best solution,

3) Actually use a decent deinterlacing algorithm on PS1/PS2 titles, so that they don't lag and suffer from terrible combing artifacts.

Now, while #3 would be the best solution, it's the solution I see the least likely for Sony to actually implement because it would take actual work. #1 and #2 are simple workarounds that could be applied, but they still don't do anything about the real problem.

Once this gets out enough, though, I hope that Sony will realize the critical importance of this issue and quickly implement #1 or #2 in the next firmware update while diligently working on #3.

If you are unsatisfied with this as I am, please visit

http://www.us.playstation.com/Corpo...onsumerServices and tell Sony that this is unacceptable performance. The consumer's voice must be heard if we expect this issue to be dealt with."

I've been reading that this is a huge problem for everybody. This is what one guy posted.

"PS3's HDMI out only supports 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p. It cannot output a 480i signal from HDMI. But all PS1 and most PS2 games are only 480i . . . so what does this mean?

Basically, the PS3 performs deinterlacing on the 480i signals from PS1/PS2 games so that it can output via the minimum 480p through HDMI. However, it does a very poor job of deinterlacing! Not only are there severe combing artifacts, but there is also a built in 2-3 frame lag, the same lag you would feel if you were to feed a 480i signal straight to your HDTV.

Currently, the only way to avoid the lag is by outputting to an external scaler which can properly (and quickly) deinterlace the 480i signal. However, since the PS3 forces 480p on PS1/PS2 games through HDMI, there is a built-in input lag which affects all games and cannot be avoided. That means that the PS3 owners who paid large amounts of money for the iScan VP series will not be able to play PS1/PS2 games lag-free via HDMI, even with the "Game Mode" enabled.

The PS1/PS2 games DO output 480i with Composite, S-Video, and Component cables. However, with Component cables as you know, the Blu-ray constraint token prevents you from getting a 1080p signal. Additionally, most HDTVs can't even accept 1080p via Component.

This means that you'll lose 1080p if you go through Component, but if you use HDMI all PS1/PS2 games will have built-in input lag.

No 1080i support was one thing, but I'm in a state of utter disbelief that the PS3 cannot properly output a video signal via Component nor HDMI. Since the PS3 cannot output both a Component and HDMI signal simultaneously, the only way to work around this issue currently is to tediously change output modes in the system settings every time you want to play a Blu-ray movie or PS1/PS2 game. This is completely unacceptable and should be addressed immediately.

There are many possible fixes for this problem that could be implemented in a future firmware. Here are just a few of the ways that Sony could fix this issue:

1) 480i output could be allowed via HDMI so that users could properly deinterlace PS1/PS2 titles with seperate hardware.
2) There could be an option to automatically switch to the AV Multiout (Component) for PS1/PS2 games, while using HDMI output for other material.

or, the best solution,

3) Actually use a decent deinterlacing algorithm on PS1/PS2 titles, so that they don't lag and suffer from terrible combing artifacts.

Now, while #3 would be the best solution, it's the solution I see the least likely for Sony to actually implement because it would take actual work. #1 and #2 are simple workarounds that could be applied, but they still don't do anything about the real problem.

Once this gets out enough, though, I hope that Sony will realize the critical importance of this issue and quickly implement #1 or #2 in the next firmware update while diligently working on #3.

If you are unsatisfied with this as I am, please visit

http://www.us.playstation.com/Corpo...onsumerServices and tell Sony that this is unacceptable performance. The consumer's voice must be heard if we expect this issue to be dealt with."

Yes, like I said in my first post.

The problem occurs when you use either HDMI or Component (not composite or even S-Video).

The reason being, like he stated, Sony bumps it up to 480p then deinterlaces it.

But again, this is only an issue over HDMI and Component, the reason it's an issue is because not all sets accept 480i over these inputs, and if SOny did NOT do this, then PS2 games would not display AT ALL for some users.

However, like I said, not all games we tested had this problem. VF4: Evo, for instance, did not suffer from the same artifacting like FFXII did over HDMI, but over composite, none of the games had any issues.

V 1.31 Update -

o Fixed Browser Issues
o Updated PS2 and PS1 BC functionality (to include HDD games like FFXI)
o Updated PS2 file management
o Updated Security

It appears as though Sony is releasing somewhat weekly updates...which I like.

What other games need installed to the HDD? I thought FFXI was the only one.

Do the updates require a direct connection to the 'net from the PS3, or would it be possible to download the updates to a flash drive and then transfer?

Ah, I see.

Well, looks like I'm having trouble again. My PS3 wont recognize any system data from a storage device. I downloaded your file, saved it to my FD. Didn't work, so I moved the file to my "PS3 Folder" on my FD. Didn't work. Should I save it to "EXPORT" or "SAVE DATA?"

For system updates, the directory structure should be as follows:

Z:\PS3\UPDATE\PS3UPDAT.PUP

Where "Z" represents your drive letter of your flash disk.
"PS3" is a folder on your flash disk.
"UPDATE" is a folder in the PS3 folder.
"PS3UPDAT.PUP" is the actual update file.

This update was pretty much just security and BC.

Sony's update scheme looks like this:

o.xx = security and minor features
o.ox = strickly secuity based patching
x.oo = major update,usually carrying a must have feature

So since this was 1.32, I can only assume that it was just some security patches and possibly some BC fixes.

Yeah, too bad it wasn't a fix for how horrible PS2 games look. I tried to play MGS3S last night, and online. Wow, is it HORRIBLE!

Sony really need to get on this.

Whatever the fix was for, I hope I can still log in with a Japan account so I can download the GTHD stuff. I haven't done it yet.

You need to. I have a HongKongPako account now for for the GTHD stuff. Preping my download finger for the GTHD demo.

:)

I was playing Killzone last night and it does look very bad, for some reason it looks like you can see the horizontal lines. Only teh vertical lines should be seen. It looks fuzzy and like its being washed out.

PS2 backards compatiblity is my current hopeful update.

The fix covered a few security issues and fixed some BC games.

The "look" of them is due only to the connector type you use on your TV. Playing on an SDTV through composite yeilds the same results.

The reason the games look bad via component or HDMI is because the PS3 will not output 480i through those connector types, if I understand correctly. It will only output 480p and higher.

What happens is, the game will "deinterlace" through the PS3 hardware and it creates a "blocky" look. Game in progressive scan, however, do not suffer from this problem, if I understand correctly. I have yet to test this, but so far these are the reports I've been seeing.

The fix covered a few security issues and fixed some BC games.

The "look" of them is due only to the connector type you use on your TV. Playing on an SDTV through composite yeilds the same results.

The reason the games look bad via component or HDMI is because the PS3 will not output 480i through those connector types, if I understand correctly. It will only output 480p and higher.

What happens is, the game will "deinterlace" through the PS3 hardware and it creates a "blocky" look. Game in progressive scan, however, do not suffer from this problem, if I understand correctly. I have yet to test this, but so far these are the reports I've been seeing.

MGS3S is not 480p, yet that's what the output was to my KDL-46XBR2 via HDMI. I think that's the problem. The PS3 takes a 480i game and must convert it to 480p. Looks very bad.

But, I bought this thing for HD 1080p or 720p. Both look fine on my set.

MGS3S is not 480p, yet that's what the output was to my KDL-46XBR2 via HDMI. I think that's the problem. The PS3 takes a 480i game and must convert it to 480p. Looks very bad.

But, I bought this thing for HD 1080p or 720p. Both look fine on my set.

That's what I'm trying to tell you.

In order to avoid compatibility conflict, since not all sets accept 480i over HDMI or component, Sony makes the image 480p. The problem, is that they aren't doing it in emulation, so the ONLY way they can do it is to have the EE simply deinterlace everything. So you're seeing 1 frame that is actually the 2 halves of the 480i signal being put together. Which is why it looks terrible. I'd expect once the emulation software is finished that this won't be a problem, however, the problem is, we don't know when the emulation software will be finished, or even released :(

That's what I'm trying to tell you.

In order to avoid compatibility conflict, since not all sets accept 480i over HDMI or component, Sony makes the image 480p. The problem, is that they aren't doing it in emulation, so the ONLY way they can do it is to have the EE simply deinterlace everything. So you're seeing 1 frame that is actually the 2 halves of the 480i signal being put together. Which is why it looks terrible. I'd expect once the emulation software is finished that this won't be a problem, however, the problem is, we don't know when the emulation software will be finished, or even released :(

I know. I was supporting what you were saying.

Latest Posts

Back