Playstation 3 System Update Thread

Yet they still don't let you turn off the "insert name" is online/offline messages unless you turn off all message notifications, strange.

Some people probably get annoyed as for some games the notifications probably cover some important HUD info:tup:
Mostly not though, as that's up to game devs to ensure nothing of importance happens up there in the upper right.

My guess is the distraction value as the player attempts to peer at what the trophy is before the box vanishes and so craches/gets shot/unintentionally runs off a cliff...

Surprises me that there must have been so much feedback on that to cause an update.

My mates PS3 is currently "bricking" atm with the new update yet mine is fine..

When the released it they did say some people not all, some are saying it's the super large hdd space, others say it was intended on them so they stop playing for a few hours (or weeks). But no one really knows why.

Weird to make update to firmware just for that alone. I've never had any notifications during my game plays. Turn OFF options was available from firmware beginning's.

Shame so many people were disconnected from console, and no reward for that as well. When psn was down due to piracy attack we all got some free stuff. Now nothing.

Weird to make update to firmware just for that alone. I've never had any notifications during my game plays. Turn OFF options was available from firmware beginning's.

Shame so many people were disconnected from console, and no reward for that as well. When psn was down due to piracy attack we all got some free stuff. Now nothing.
Because it was down for weeks. You keep comparing apples and oranges (in german we say pears :P).

EDIT: It wasn't possible to turn them off. No idea what you're talking about.

Trophy pop ups were not a part of notifications. I know, I've had notifications turned off since I got my console but trophy notifications still pop up.

Huh? It is either bricked or not bricked, there is no "bricking".

So you are saying this last update bricked his PS3? Does his have a large aftermarket HD installed?

Is it bricked or does he think it is messed up and going to be bricked?

How can an official update bricked a PS3 ? You can always update via USB drive - access Safe mode, or replace HDD if its the culprit. I updated mine to 4.46 ( latest - using offline USB drive method ) on my new 160GB Slim PS3, works like a charm.

I recommend to ALWAYS use OFFLINE update via USB drive, safer than online update.

Trophy pop ups were not a part of notifications. I know, I've had notifications turned off since I got my console but trophy notifications still pop up.

It's good to have trophy notifications, at least you know if you got the trophy for your work, without it then it's now impossible to tell if there is a glitch or not. How stupid is that now?? :scared:

How can an official update bricked a PS3 ? You can always update via USB drive - access Safe mode, or replace HDD if its the culprit. I updated mine to 4.46 ( latest - using offline USB drive method ) on my new 160GB Slim PS3, works like a charm.

I recommend to ALWAYS use OFFLINE update via USB drive, safer than online update.

What is the difference how you update? If an update bricks a console, it makes absolutely no difference if you do an online or offline update.

And yeah, the last update did brick consoles. Or are you living under a brick and didn't hear about it?

It's good to have trophy notifications, at least you know if you got the trophy for your work, without it then it's now impossible to tell if there is a glitch or not. How stupid is that now?? :scared:

Some people just straight up don't care about trophies.

Not everyone cares about trophies, so the pop up is just an annoyance. And adding user-adjustable options to any feature is never stupid.

BWX
What is the difference how you update? If an update bricks a console, it makes absolutely no difference if you do an online or offline update.
Offline updating doesn't take as long so there is less risk of something like a power flicker corrupting the install. Offline does nothing about a bad update in general though.

And yeah, the last update did brick consoles. Or are you living under a brick and didn't hear about it?
He mentioned the safe mode as an option, which you can load preboot and reinstall the OS from USB drive. Based on reports of how this update caused problems that should be a fix, making the system not truly bricked by the strictest of definitions.

I cannot believe SONY used bandwidth and other resources just so we don't have to see those agonizing trophy notifications for 2 seconds once in a great while. SONY probably thinks we'd be more accepting of this as reason, than "system security updates".

These last two updates have given me nothing but aggravation! Right after installing .45, I had spinning wheels all over my Home screen for five minutes. I had to unplug the system and start it up again, it didn't take long to sort itself out, I had to do it again maybe two other times when I'd get stuck trying to get into Hulu+. Otherwise, everything worked fine.

Last night, I installed .46. :grumpy: Even from the system restart, I've NEVER seen the HD work so hard! I had to unplug again, as I wasn't even getting the spinning wheels. Fired up again, the "Data check" goes quickly, but the Home screen takes it's time coming up. OK, I guess its sorting out the update.... Finally, the wheels stop spinning. Go to Netflix... Lag.... Lag... Lag... Even the internal links are lagging! :ouch:

OK, time for GT.... Lag....... EVERY TIME! Menus, between races, you name it! :crazy: And I seriously wonder how much longer my HD will last, that orange LED doesn't go out!

BWX

Well, I replaced my 160GB HDD with my 500GB from the YLOD Slim PS3, it worked fine with 4.46. So I don't know the exact reason why the 4.46 would brick a console. Even if it did brick a console, I think replacing the HDD with PC low level formatted original or lower capacity HDD will force trigger USB update immediately after boot and hopefully 4.46 will work then.

I've heard the update only bricked PS3 with larger capacity HDD.

Update method does make a difference, I have had a corrupted online update before on my YLOD PS3, it freezes everytime I access game tab on XMB. I did another update, this time offline via USB and the problem goes away.

To those who have issue with 4.46, I suggest to go back to original HDD if you have replaced yours with a larger HDD or try another HDD. It's always good to have a complete backup on another HDD ready.

Well, I replaced my 160GB HDD with my 500GB from the YLOD Slim PS3, it worked fine with 4.46. So I don't know the exact reason why the 4.46 would brick a console. Even if it did brick a console, I think replacing the HDD with PC low level formatted original or lower capacity HDD will force trigger USB update immediately after boot and hopefully 4.46 will work then.

I've heard the update only bricked PS3 with larger capacity HDD.

Update method does make a difference, I have had a corrupted online update before on my YLOD PS3, it freezes everytime I access game tab on XMB. I did another update, this time offline via USB and the problem goes away.

To those who have issue with 4.46, I suggest to go back to original HDD if you have replaced yours with a larger HDD or try another HDD. It's always good to have a complete backup on another HDD ready.

Yeah but a corrupted update is not what caused the last update to brick consoles. Also, I have almost always done online updates and never had a corrupted one yet.

USB update in safe mode can fix a console, but that wouldn't have prevented a bad update from bricking on in the first place regardless up update procedure, it was just a bad update..

I do have an aftermarket 500GB HD in my 160GB PS3 slim, and I never updated to the one that bricked consoles, I got lucky. Well, I do always check before I update, to see if there are any problems, and also I do not have auto update turned on anymore, and I don't use my PS3 every day. That all helped.

These last two updates have given me nothing but aggravation! Right after installing .45, I had spinning wheels all over my Home screen for five minutes. I had to unplug the system and start it up again, it didn't take long to sort itself out, I had to do it again maybe two other times when I'd get stuck trying to get into Hulu+. Otherwise, everything worked fine.

Last night, I installed .46. :grumpy: Even from the system restart, I've NEVER seen the HD work so hard! I had to unplug again, as I wasn't even getting the spinning wheels. Fired up again, the "Data check" goes quickly, but the Home screen takes it's time coming up. OK, I guess its sorting out the update.... Finally, the wheels stop spinning. Go to Netflix... Lag.... Lag... Lag... Even the internal links are lagging! :ouch:

OK, time for GT.... Lag....... EVERY TIME! Menus, between races, you name it! :crazy: And I seriously wonder how much longer my HD will last, that orange LED doesn't go out!

I think that means your HDD is going kaput. Mine made GT5 loading screen go on for ages and the intro movie became stuttering. Even road textures weren't loading during gameplay. And not only that, my gun in Battlefield 3 wouldn't appear after spawning. :scared:

Replaced the hard disk and it solved all problems.

So, I'm guessing the issue might not be the update but your hard disk. Don't take my word for it though.👍

I think that means your HDD is going kaput. Mine made GT5 loading screen go on for ages and the intro movie became stuttering. Even road textures weren't loading during gameplay. And not only that, my gun in Battlefield 3 wouldn't appear after spawning. :scared:

Replaced the hard disk and it solved all problems.

So, I'm guessing the issue might not be the update but your hard disk. Don't take my word for it though.👍

Man, I hope not. I've enough headaches! I'll try the USB install of .46, maybe It'll help.

Aren't we lucky… I can't find anybody with our same issue! Hubby was all excited to try out the BRZ I bought under mine the other week, and up pops the mandatory update… and now the cursor is screwed in the game (so far it seems ok on the main PS window).

Took forever to manage to get the cursor over to start the game, once we got in there, it took another huge crap shoot to get it over to be able to download the BRZ, and then luckily it allowed him to use it in races it theoretically wasn't allowed as we could only get to Beginner and... (whatever those bottom two levels are). Still can't regularly select anything to the side, and nothing up or down… Luckily the wheel still works!

(and, yes, we've restarted, logged him out of the network, tried my user, other controller options… and nada. Since he's currently entertaining himself in a couple Licenses he managed to get to, haven't tried ejecting the disc and doing a full shut down yet, though with out luck we'll end up one of those whose systems won't recognize games anymore! :P)

(it's a 160GB from 2009 in case that matters)

Bad sectors on HDD can cause many weird issues, lag, constant non responsiveness, file corruption, graphics glitches. If it happens to only 1 or 2 games, try to delete game data and reinstall.

I'm doubting this is issue is related to the update, but it happened to me twice in the same day (after I did the newest update). When I turn off my PS3 before exiting the YouTube app, my console won't shut off. The green light just flashes endlessly. Any chance it's related to the update? And has the happened to anyone else?

I had heard this new update may be bricking consoles so they removed it. Then it popped up the other day and stupidly I installed it. Everything was fine for a couple days then yesterday watching netflix like 10 seconds into a show the screen froze. Eventually it crashed, restarted said it need ed to do a recovery which it did in about 2 minutes and everything was fine. So I tried again, same thing happened except now I just get the Yellow HD light and "Cannot access system data".

Tried to go into safe mode it doesn't work. Worst part, I have a 6 month old OCZ Vertex SSD in there, so its not like the original drive crapped. Am I toast? Any way to force safe mode with a USB and try to save this thing?

I had heard this new update may be bricking consoles so they removed it. Then it popped up the other day and stupidly I installed it. Everything was fine for a couple days then yesterday watching netflix like 10 seconds into a show the screen froze. Eventually it crashed, restarted said it need ed to do a recovery which it did in about 2 minutes and everything was fine. So I tried again, same thing happened except now I just get the Yellow HD light and "Cannot access system data".

Tried to go into safe mode it doesn't work. Worst part, I have a 6 month old OCZ Vertex SSD in there, so its not like the original drive crapped. Am I toast? Any way to force safe mode with a USB and try to save this thing?

Try this :
Step 1: Manually Download System Software

You will need a USB Mass Storage device such as a USB flash drive with at least 168 MB of free space. If your PS3 is either CECHA00/CECHB00 series model, you can also use Memory Stick™, SD Memory Card, and CompactFlash®.
Create a folder named “PS3” on the storage media or USB device.
Within the PS3 folder, create a folder named “UPDATE”.
Using your computer, click the following hyperlink to begin downloading system software 4.46
Download the update data from the webpage and save it in the “UPDATE” folder.
File name: Save as file name “PS3UPDAT.PUP”

Note: If the data is not saved in the correct way, the PS3 will not recognize the update data. The folder name must be in all uppercase letters.

Step 2: Activate Safe Mode

With the PS3 off (power light should be red), touch and hold the Power button, you will hear the 1st beep indicating that the PS3 is powering on.
Continue to hold the power button, and after approximately 5 seconds you will hear a 2nd beep.
Continue to hold the power button and after 5 more seconds you’ll hear a 3rd beep, and system will power off (Power light goes red).
Release power button.
Touch and hold the Power button, you will hear the 1st beep, again for PS3 power on.
Continue to hold and after approximately 5 seconds you will hear the 2nd beep for video reset.
Continue to hold and after 5 seconds you will hear a quick double beep. At that point release power button.
If you succeeded in activating Safe Mode, you will see a message on screen saying, “Connect the controller using a USB cable and then press the PS button”.
Connect a controller to the PS3 with a USB cable.

If you were not able to get into Safe Mode, your system may need service.

Step 3: Manually Update PS3 Software

Connect the storage media to PS3 system.
Select [6 - System Update] and Press X.
Please note: Data and settings may be deleted if you choose any of the first (5) options. Please make sure to only choose option [6 - System Update].
Press Start and Select at the same time.
The PS3 system will restart and recognizes the update file in the storage media.
Press right on the d-pad to scroll through the update description and user agreement.
Press X to confirm the update.
The system will now install the new system software and restart automatically upon completion.

Good luck!

If all else fails, take out the HDD, low level format it, put it back, it will force trigger update routine after boot.

My PS3 works perfectly right now. I don't play games on it anymore, I basically just use it for a bluray player, but it is a very good BD player, and I'd like to keep it that way.

Try this :

If all else fails, take out the HDD, low level format it, put it back, it will force trigger update routine after boot.

Thanks for the tips but unfortunately even after I get the double beep to get to safe mode, it doesn't go into safe mode it still gives me the same error "Cannot start. the appropriate system storage was not found".

A low level format will wipe it correct? What if I put it in another PS3, think it would work? Is my PS3 bricked maybe?

I think i even may have the original HDD somewhere around here, I could always stick that sucker in and see if it starts...

Back