Playstation 3 System Update Thread

Thanks for the tips but unfortunately even after I get the double beep to get to safe mode, it doesn't go into safe mode it still gives me the same error "Cannot start. the appropriate system storage was not found".

A low level format will wipe it correct? What if I put it in another PS3, think it would work? Is my PS3 bricked maybe?

I think i even may have the original HDD somewhere around here, I could always stick that sucker in and see if it starts...

This error : "Cannot start. the appropriate system storage was not found". is caused by the HDD boot sector corruption or missing OS files. There are many causes, it may have been due to previous freezes/crashes that caused some crucial files corrupted. Formatting the HDD on a PC will force it to update via USB when inserted again into PS3.

Upon boot, you will be prompted to hold start + select for 5 seconds and insert the USB drive with update file.

You can try put it on another PS3, it might show the same error - do you have Slim PS3 ? The flash rom is only 16MB on newer PS3s, and most of the OS files are stored on the HDD, if any of the boot files corrupted, you will get same OS or system storage not found error on another PS3.

Your PS3 is not bricked IMO, just ffile corruption.

This error : "Cannot start. the appropriate system storage was not found". is caused by the HDD boot sector corruption or missing OS files. There are many causes, it may have been due to previous freezes/crashes that caused some crucial files corrupted. Formatting the HDD on a PC will force it to update via USB when inserted again into PS3.

Upon boot, you will be prompted to hold start + select for 5 seconds and insert the USB drive with update file.

You can try put it on another PS3, it might show the same error - do you have Slim PS3 ? The flash rom is only 16MB on newer PS3s, and most of the OS files are stored on the HDD, if any of the boot files corrupted, you will get same OS or system storage not found error on another PS3.

Your PS3 is not bricked IMO, just ffile corruption.

Ok thats good. Unfortunately losing all my game saves (and having to redownload a ton of games and updates) sucks. I have Slim PS3 (not the newest).

Is there any way to recover the drive without redoing everything? Has anyone ever at least rescued their game save files using a PC?

Ok thats good. Unfortunately losing all my game saves (and having to redownload a ton of games and updates) sucks. I have Slim PS3 (not the newest).

Is there any way to recover the drive without redoing everything? Has anyone ever at least rescued their game save files using a PC?

Some of the FAT PS3 already have 16MB flash ROM, and all Slim and SuperSlim have the same configuration -1x16MB NAND NOR Flash, where most of the OS files are kept on the HDD, leaving the flash ROM for boot up routines.

If the drive indeed have file corruption, I don't think there's a way to recover it other than access it from the PS3 it was installed on. PC can't read PS3 HDD as it's encrypted.

The last FAT PS3 that have 2x128MB NAND Flash ROM is model CECHGxxx , I bet 4.46 update will work well on those and older as they kept all OS files on the chip.

BWX
It updated ok.. Now if I could find GT academy..
WTF where is it!?

When the store updates. It will be there. Mostly anywhere from as early as 2-3 pm CT to as late as 6-7 pm CT.

I'll just use my UK or EU account to download it. The only reason I even have them is to get around Sony's idiotic PSN store roll-out policies.

GMT works for the rest of the net Sony.. try it out!

Some of the FAT PS3 already have 16MB flash ROM, and all Slim and SuperSlim have the same configuration -1x16MB NAND NOR Flash, where most of the OS files are kept on the HDD, leaving the flash ROM for boot up routines.

If the drive indeed have file corruption, I don't think there's a way to recover it other than access it from the PS3 it was installed on. PC can't read PS3 HDD as it's encrypted.

The last FAT PS3 that have 2x128MB NAND Flash ROM is model CECHGxxx , I bet 4.46 update will work well on those and older as they kept all OS files on the chip.

So I pulled the drive and hooked it to my PC... Its dead. 8 month old OCZ Vertex 3 SSD. At least I know my PS3 isnt bad. I hooked up the original drive to it and it is updating from my USB right now. I also have my backup still on my external hard drive. Its from October but hey better than nothing!

Trying to warranty it through OCZ now...

So I pulled the drive and hooked it to my PC... Its dead. 8 month old OCZ Vertex 3 SSD. At least I know my PS3 isnt bad. I hooked up the original drive to it and it is updating from my USB right now. I also have my backup still on my external hard drive. Its from October but hey better than nothing!

Trying to warranty it through OCZ now...

I am sorry to hear about your SSD :( At least now you can play PS3 :)

I am sorry to hear about your SSD :( At least now you can play PS3 :)

Thanks for your help. At least i didn't lose my GT5 save (haven't played in a long while) but lost all my saves for the past 3 games I've been playing (Hitman, Most Wanted, and Starhawk) which sucks.

New Update is out: Ver. 4.50 makes auto updates available for everyone - no PS Plus subscription needed anymore. :D

It would figure they'd do this two weeks after I got a PS plus subscription :lol:

New Update is out: Ver. 4.50 makes auto updates available for everyone - no PS Plus subscription needed anymore. :D

Aw really? :(

Well it's a REALLY useful feature. Don't blame them for making it available to all. Think everyone who planned to get PS+ with PS3 has got it now.

4.50 had finally great feature for trophy hunters 👍

You can hide all not 100% trophies from anyone on your friends list or even from anyone who's isn't there.

So when someone from your friends list is watching your trophies you can only pick games with 100% trophies to be shown or exactly opposite, hide them too.

If you already had 10 games with 100% platinum trophies and you start playing 11'th game on your profile then you can hide it as well, play it then make it 100% and then make it visible again. :sly:

Updated to 4.55 more than 12 hours ago, haven't noticed any changes, I read on playstation forum that it improves BR drive and system stability.

I was hoping with the release of the PS4 Sony would stop messing around with the PS3 and its useless updates.

Worked fine in 2006 and would still work fine without all the faf inbetween thank you very much!

Worked fine in 2006 and would still work fine without all the faf inbetween thank you very much!

It's much, much better than it used to be. I'll take the updates thank you very much.

I was hoping with the release of the PS4 Sony would stop messing around with the PS3 and its useless updates.

Considering how much RAM usage for the OS was reduced to make games better over the years, these updates are needed.

Another update for lol's. 4.60

Main feature of system software update version 4.60
  • System software stability during use of some features has been improved.
Now where have I seen that before...

:lol:

My PS4 collects dust. My PS3 is used very often. The new has nothing, the old has everything. I'll gladly take the update.
There is nothing to make me want a PS4. All the games so far are either Uninteresting to me or a dual release so I could buy for cheaper on PS3 anyway.

I did actually manage to find one new feature in 4.60. If you press triangle on a game while on the XMB, you can "Check for Updates". Should there be one, it will placed in your Download list so you can play other games while the update is downloading.

Sony. You only just thought of that?!?! *facepalm*

I did actually manage to find one new feature in 4.60. If you press triangle on a game while on the XMB, you can "Check for Updates". Should there be one, it will placed in your Download list so you can play other games while the update is downloading.

Sony. You only just thought of that?!?! *facepalm*
That was kind of accessible in PS Plus, but wasn't suppose to be. If you had say a 1GB update for GT you could let it go into PS Plus Auto Update then cut it off a few minutes in. All the updates with be in the download manager. Unfortunately they'd often corrupt when I'd install it after but hopefully they've fixed that now.

Back