PlayStation 4 General DiscussionPS4 

• Thread starter Sier_Pinski
  • 9,445 comments
Reminds me a bit of Kai
Kai_Escaping.jpg

Too much Gamescom. I've caved and bought a PS4. Got it with Wolfenstein The New Order.

Welcome to the dark side.

So Yoshida says no Last Guardian at TGS, so maybe they'll need a big showing from a certain Japanese developer who make a certain car game.

I've had my PS4 for a few weeks now and I'm not liking it very much. The PS1, PS2, and PS3 were something else compared to this.

1. User interface is so sluggish at times.
2. Main menu is depressing.
3. Controller is terrible to hold for extended periods of time.
4. New button layout on the controller isn't comfortable.
5. Controller battery doesn't last very long.
6. Controller light bar is annoying, even when dimmed.
7. Console light bar is distracting and that cold white light doesn't suit it.
8. Console emits a disturbing noise when powered off. Unplug the AC power cord for complete silence.
9. Background downloads as a standard setting has caused me a few headaches already.
10. No notification when content is completely installed.
11. Shiny plastic on dust collecting devices never was a very smart idea.

What have they done to my favorite piece of entertainment? Only positives are that it has great power under the hood and the console looks good in the living room. Way too many irritating things though.

Yeah, I share several of your complaints, primary the controller layout. The way that I see it, you can get around the light bar issue by playing in a lit room and keep the console on standby mode and/or charge the controller when you are even under threat of going two bars remaining on the battery. It would be something like this. (note this is done in Alt key code):
╔=╦╦╗
╚=╩╩╝

Other than that, I am a very proud PS4 owner once October rolls around.

EDIT: This must have escaped someone's notice. Youtube and Share Play coming in the 2.0 update along with other features. Time limit on the Share Play app is 1 hour.

Last edited:
I've never even noticed the light on the controller unless I wanted to look at it! I like the DS4. It fits my hands better than any previous DS.

The only thing about PS4 I don't like is downloading. How difficult could a pause/resume feature be to implement? Still standby downloading at least gets it all done whilst I'm asleep.

I've had my PS4 for a few weeks now and I'm not liking it very much. The PS1, PS2, and PS3 were something else compared to this.

8. Console emits a disturbing noise when powered off. Unplug the AC power cord for complete silence.
9. Background downloads as a standard setting has caused me a few headaches already.

What have they done to my favorite piece of entertainment? Only positives are that it has great power under the hood and the console looks good in the living room. Way too many irritating things though.

They made it on a budget, that's what happened. The PS1, 2&3 were products of prosperous times. The gaming industry was doing well and people had lots of disposable income. They were $700-800 machines being sold for half that so were big leaps forward with every generation and were better quality and better thought out. This generation of consoles is more of stepping stone (version 1.5) than the gaps we saw before.

I agree about the PS4's OS, dull and uninspiring unlike the XMB which was classy, futuristic, unique and revolutionary in it's day... it even won awards and was rolled out on other Sony stuff. The PS2 OS was clearly dreamt up by someone on drugs :lol:

I read you can swap in a bigger battery that's 1800-2000mah which is double what you get originally.

Don't understand why they don't just disable the lightbar unless you plug in the VR set or camera. I'm probably going to hold off getting a PS4 until these issues get sorted.

First thing I'd do is open the controller to swap in a bigger battery and disable the LED.

Last edited:

Are you serious?

The PS4 smokes everything before it and its not even a year old. The PS3 now, let alone the PS3 at the same stage of the PS4's life, is utter trash compared to it. I cant even stand holding that trashy Fisher Price controller anymore. And your trashing the DS4? Again, are you serious?

They made it on a budget, that's what happened. The PS1, 2&3 were products of prosperous times. The gaming industry was doing well and people had lots of disposable income. They were $700-800 machines being sold for half that so were big leaps forward with every generation and were better quality and better thought out. This generation of consoles is more of stepping stone (version 1.5) than the gaps we saw before.

I agree about the PS4's OS, dull and uninspiring unlike the XMB which was classy, futuristic, unique and revolutionary in it's day... it even won awards and was rolled out on other Sony stuff. The PS2 OS was clearly dreamt up by someone on drugs :lol:

Sony is only building the console the consumer wants. I was there day 1 to buy the PS3 at $599. If you were one of the people who waited until its price dropped considerably to buy it while complaining about it on the internet then you have no right to complain about where consoles are now. Too many people want their cake and want to eat it too.

Despite the fact Im willing to pay more for consoles to get more power and features Im fine with the new strategy of cheaper consoles released with shorter gaps between each.

Are you serious?

The PS4 smokes everything before it and its not even a year old. The PS3 now, let alone the PS3 at the same stage of the PS4's life, is utter trash compared to it. I cant even stand holding that trashy Fisher Price controller anymore. And your trashing the DS4? Again, are you serious?

Yes, I don't complain for nothing. From a hardware perspective, yes it's better and console games have never felt and looked this good. Pretty much everything else about it annoys me though. As for the controller, I have loved the old controllers since 1996 and suddenly I have to hold this alien thing that I just can't get comfortable with. Also, the DS4 buttons are way too noisy. The shoulder buttons have this cheap quirky whine and the four buttons on the front-right emit these loud clicks which often are louder than those coming out of the speakers. Never had such issues with any of the old controllers. I really dislike it.

The PS4 smokes everything before it and its not even a year old. The PS3 now, let alone the PS3 at the same stage of the PS4's life, is utter trash compared to it.

Because it didn't have 8GB GDDR5 even though it had David Cage?

Don't have any trouble with the battery life but I have 2 DS4s, the only time I heard a complaint about the light bar was when some friends came over and we decided to do a horror night with lights off high volume playing TLOU and it did light the room a bit and reflected from the TV.

You're right, I've got no complaints about the light-bar and have heard none from any of my friends who have a PS4 either. I think the situation has been blown a little out of proportion by a few noisy people on the net - the apparently eternally dissatisfied types who make a living from their YouTube subscribers.

EDIT: There again, maybe I'm just being a bit grumpy today.

Don't have any trouble with the battery life but I have 2 DS4s, the only time I heard a complaint about the light bar was when some friends came over and we decided to do a horror night with lights off high volume playing TLOU and it did light the room a bit and reflected from the TV.

That's what I did with my PS3, I had two controllers, always one on charge. I got these with the system plus 2-3 new games for only £300 seven months after EU launch.

PS4 is doing well so its still £350 for just the console most of the time. A game and a controller would come to £430-50. After paying for a second controller I still have two controllers that need opening to put in bigger DS3 batteries and to disable the lightbar. Voiding warranty on a £100 worth of joypads.

Anyway, PS4 doing so well they don't need my money or need to address my concerns.

Last edited:
That's what I did with my PS3, I had two controllers, always one on charge. I got these with the system plus 2-3 new games for only £300 seven months after EU launch.

PS4 is doing well so its still £350 for just the console most of the time. A game and a controller would come to £430-50. After paying for a second controller I still have two controllers that need opening to put in bigger DS3 batteries and to disable the lightbar. Voiding warranty on a £100 worth of joypads.

Anyway, PS4 doing so well they don't need my money or need to address my concerns.

To be honest I got mine (used) with a year of PS plus 2 games and 2 DS4s for roughly 350 pounds aswell, I agree it gets a little annoying but I guess with games like TLOU using the light bar the whole time, they sort of don't bother turning it off.

At the same point in the PS3's lifecycle it was the most powerful gaming device you could have at home. The same can't be said for the PS4 which has in essence a laptop processor with integrated graphics. The graphics may be better than the last generation but they certainly aren't the best on the market. The PS3 was a better device in every way at the time.

Sony is only building the console the consumer wants. I was there day 1 to buy the PS3 at $599. If you were one of the people who waited until its price dropped considerably to buy it while complaining about it on the internet then you have no right to complain about where consoles are now. Too many people want their cake and want to eat it too.

Despite the fact Im willing to pay more for consoles to get more power and features Im fine with the new strategy of cheaper consoles released with shorter gaps between each.

I bought my PS2 launch day in Japan, bought my second PS2 launch day in the UK and also bought my PS3 at launch. The average consumer may want a budget console but I wanted a machine even more expensive than the PS3. It would have been better to have something costing 700-800 launch which was made for over a $1000 which was the equivalent power of let's say an i7 and a Titan but optimized.

Yes, I don't complain for nothing. From a hardware perspective, yes it's better and console games have never felt and looked this good. Pretty much everything else about it annoys me though. As for the controller, I have loved the old controllers since 1996 and suddenly I have to hold this alien thing that I just can't get comfortable with. Also, the DS4 buttons are way too noisy. The shoulder buttons have this cheap quirky whine and the four buttons on the front-right emit these loud clicks which often are louder than those coming out of the speakers. Never had such issues with any of the old controllers. I really dislike it.

How much time have you spent with it? When I first used the DS4 it felt awkward and I wasnt sure I liked it. In time I got comfortable and theres no going back. Everytime I pick up a DS3 Im reminded of how much better the DS4 is. The increased tension in the sticks alone is worth almost everything to me.

Robin.
At the same point in the PS3's lifecycle it was the most powerful gaming device you could have at home. The same can't be said for the PS4 which has in essence a laptop processor with integrated graphics. The graphics may be better than the last generation but they certainly aren't the best on the market. The PS3 was a better device in every way at the time.

And the downside for more power in the console thus making it more expensive? A longer generation like we just had because Sony will need more time for the console to turn profitable. Personally I'd rather have a smaller upgrade in visuals but get a new console every 5 years then have a bigger upgrade and wait 7 years.

PS3 may have been more ahead for its time but at this point I feel like we're getting upset over spilled milk. The PS4 has fantastic looking games. The Order 1886 is one of the best looking games you will see anywhere, and its likely Uncharted 4 and GT7 will look even better.

The leap in graphics power from PS3 to PS4 is the same from PS2 to PS3. It just might not feel that way because we had to wait so long for the PS4 to come out.

Robin.
I bought my PS2 launch day in Japan, bought my second PS2 launch day in the UK and also bought my PS3 at launch. The average consumer may want a budget console but I wanted a machine even more expensive than the PS3. It would have been better to have something costing 700-800 launch which was made for over a $1000 which was the equivalent power of let's say an i7 and a Titan but optimized.

I would have preferred a $500 PS4 with Phenom II Hex Core and 7970 power. But that would require Sony losing about $100 per console when I think theyre drawing about even with the PS4.

Because it didn't have 8GB GDDR5 even though it had David Cage?

Correct

. It would have been better to have something costing 700-800 launch which was made for over a $1000 which was the equivalent power of let's say an i7 and a Titan but optimized.

That would consume 350-400W. PS4 is around 130W. Launch PS3 and 360 had issues when operating at 170-200W

They would have to build a very large noisy convoluted console that would never sell or attract devs. Most devs wouldn't utilize the system if the other is a 7790.

For a mainstream consumer device, 150W is the maximum really.

That would consume 350-400W. PS4 is around 130W. Launch PS3 and 360 had issues when operating at 170-200W

They would have to build a very large noisy convoluted console that would never sell or attract devs. Most devs wouldn't utilize the system if the other is a 7790.

For a mainstream consumer device, 150W is the maximum really.

But Steam boxes can be configured to similar high end PC spec's and they are the same form factor as a console. Also you can get small PSU's for Shuttle style PC's which can easily do 400W.

I see the problem about development though, if one console is way more powerful then the other it will result in terrible games for one side or the other.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...itas-no-show-and-the-mystery-of-10m-ps4-sales

Eurogamer interview with Shuhei Yoshida

"
You also announced PS4 had sold 10m units.

Shuhei Yoshida:
Yep. Sell through.

That's a very impressive number just nine months into the console's life. Last November we were all hoping the new consoles would sell well, but this is beyond most people's predictions. It suggests something different is going on this time than we've seen in the past. What do you think is the reason for it doing so well so quickly?

Shuhei Yoshida:
The 10m sell through in the first nine months is well beyond what we had hoped for. As you know, we have struggled to keep up with demand of PS4 for so many months. It was hard to find and purchase PS4. Now we are able to supply units so in every territory I believe you can find PS4. So we just managed to catch up with demand.
It's just beyond our imagination. We are so happy. But I for one am a bit nervous because we do not completely understand what's happening. You need to understand why your products are selling well so you can plan for the future, right? It defied the conventional thinking. Lots of people thought the dedicated game hardware might not be needed going forward, but still lots of people are very excited. When you see the new games coming out and being announced this E3 and Gamescom, I think there's a good enough reason for a gamer to believe this is something worth investing in.

I agree, but I don't think that explains the speed of sales.

Shuhei Yoshida:
Yeah. Actually I'm asking journalists who ask that question their opinion.

I don't know. I was hoping you would know.

Shuhei Yoshida:
I'm asking marketing people to tell us why. They've been to people who already purchased, and some of the early data was amazing in terms of the number of people who didn't used to own PS3 have already purchased PS4. So we are getting lots of new customers coming into PlayStation. And some people never purchased any last-gen hardware: PS3, or Xbox 360 or Nintendo Wii. So where did they come from?

Why buy now then?

Shuhei Yoshida:
Well, yeah. I don't know. As soon as we see a great sales number, our instinct tells us we should be concerned about future sales, right? Are we exhausting all the core gamers? If we sell this number of units, there are no more consumers we can sell to. That's a really terrifying prospect. So we want to understand who are these consumers who we do not necessarily consider core gamers, who are purchasing PS4 and why they are doing it and what they are doing with PS4, so we can create a bit more of a positive future, rather than saying, wow, we have sold to every single core gamer. So that's what we are doing."

Glad I'm not the only one who's surprised although I think the time between consoles helped. I'd imagine many core gamers were eager just to get something new.

But Steam boxes can be configured to similar high end PC spec's and they are the same form factor as a console. Also you can get small PSU's for Shuttle style PC's which can easily do 400W.

I see the problem about development though, if one console is way more powerful then the other it will result in terrible games for one side or the other.

Yeah, I've seen them around. Not much info about them but I've watched the odd video of the Steam machine Beta running a 780 and it seems very loud and its only a test project, how reliable this will be long term? A 780 is loud anyway. The others I've seen are running low end hardware.

An off the shelf GPU is expensively engineered to withstand the temps. Reference also have shroud so the hot air gets pumped out the back of the PC case. They also lack a disc drive which helps saving space.

I think the noise and power consumption is an issue, the cost to design the chips on one PCB or stacked and cool would be quite high, probably limited places to put the console pumping out 300-400W.

I know some who use a 780 in a HTPC but they don't stress the card. the whole idea is to play older games that don't trouble a 780 so it stays at stock fan speeds.

Last edited:
And the downside for more power in the console thus making it more expensive? A longer generation like we just had because Sony will need more time for the console to turn profitable. Personally I'd rather have a smaller upgrade in visuals but get a new console every 5 years then have a bigger upgrade and wait 7 years.

Well that's a choice people have to make if they want a cheaper console changed more often or something expensive and long lasting. I personally prefer a 10 year lifecycle console compared to something like the Wii which the model Sony and MS are following now (quick return to profitability).

PS3 may have been more ahead for its time but at this point I feel like we're getting upset over spilled milk. The PS4 has fantastic looking games. The Order 1886 is one of the best looking games you will see anywhere, and its likely Uncharted 4 and GT7 will look even better.

The leap in graphics power from PS3 to PS4 is the same from PS2 to PS3. It just might not feel that way because we had to wait so long for the PS4 to come out.

It kind of disagree, although the PS4 graphics are absolutely respectable the power jump to this generation is less than the PS2 to 3 jump and that is reflected in the price and projected lifespan. The Nvidia Titan was already more powerful when the consoles came out and traditionally top end PC's were overtaken or matched when consoles came out. If the jump was the same we would be seeing the equivalent specs of ultra setting graphics on these consoles. All cross platform games look better on PC ultra settings than on the PS4.

I would have preferred a $500 PS4 with Phenom II Hex Core and 7970 power. But that would require Sony losing about $100 per console when I think theyre drawing about even with the PS4.

That's what consoles are supposed to be about, it's about selling all of them for the first few years at a loss and then making it all back in the first few games you buy. It's no different a business model to shaving razors and printers. They were loosing $241 on each PS3, with the PS4 they are losing $18 so you are actually getting less for your money.

How much time have you spent with it? When I first used the DS4 it felt awkward and I wasnt sure I liked it. In time I got comfortable and theres no going back. Everytime I pick up a DS3 Im reminded of how much better the DS4 is. The increased tension in the sticks alone is worth almost everything to me.

I'm definitely past the initial "getting used to" stage. It's just not comfortable for me.

Back