Pleasantly surprised by GT physics vs IRL

GTP-Stormbringer
Hello GTplanet,

So a couple of months ago i had the pleasure of driving a few cars, back to back, at a race track in EU.
namely a f430, gallardo, vanquish, 911 gt3, bmw m135...and a few more.

What really got me flabbergasted was that some cars actually somewhat responded and felt like they do in the game.

Especially the lambo, she had that tendency to go sideways on exit. scary car to drive fast.
The vantage was as dull as it is in the game. just not a competitor against the others.
The ferrari was beautiful, everybit as light and responsive as its GT counterpart. drove straight as an arrow. The sound in GT could be much better, especially downshifts.

Overall, I think GT does a great job in modeling their basic characteristics.
Have any of you gone through a similar experience?

Cant wait for the improvements gt7 will bring.

GT6 actually does a great job in that area, even though it is not perfect and still has flaws : tire pressure and deformation, suspension bottoming are for me the two main points that has still a lot of room for improvement. Also, putting real life parameters on tuned cars work well, the problem being it doesn't react like it should when you do things theorically wrong, leading to strange and unrealistic tunes being very efficient in game. But every single game that currently pretends to be a driving simulator has at least a few points which should be discussed - even the almighty iRacing has several physics problems. But we have to remind that IRL, vehicle physics are incredibly complex : people actually work their whole doctorate thesis on a single suspension parameter such as compression. And you also have to take account of the forces felt by the body. So I laugh every tile a game pretends to be the final perfect iteration like Project Cars does currently.

To come back on GT6, it is still very impressive for a video game. Every car I drove IRL felt very close in the game. My MX5, my ex CRX especially, but most of all, I've been really impressed by the Grande Punto Abarth, which is the exact same version in game than my father's one, and it felt just spot on in game compared to real life. Sure, it didn't left me out of brakes or get road tires cooked in 400km, but the reactions are so nicely reproduced !

In summer 2010 I drove the F430 Spider. Not something you can easily forget. Steering very light and responsive...incredible brakes...it felt very similar in the game.
Except, obviously, the sound. And with the roof down in real life you get the idea.

I also had a ride (passenger seat) in a Maserati GranTurismo S on the highway. It sticked to the road incredibly. It was like being on a railway.
This car (of course along with the Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione) simply has the most orgasmic sound I've ever heard.....and in GT5/GT6 it's the crappiest I've ever heard.

Last edited:
Only in my dreams. It sounds awesome, what race track was it?

The tracks called zandvoort, in NL. Very nice track, nice turns. There is a company called "raceplanet" which organizes these events there.

GT6 actually does a great job in that area, even though it is not perfect and still has flaws : tire pressure and deformation, suspension bottoming are for me the two main points that has still a lot of room for improvement. Also, putting real life parameters on tuned cars work well, the problem being it doesn't react like it should when you do things theorically wrong, leading to strange and unrealistic tunes being very efficient in game. But every single game that currently pretends to be a driving simulator has at least a few points which should be discussed - even the almighty iRacing has several physics problems. But we have to remind that IRL, vehicle physics are incredibly complex : people actually work their whole doctorate thesis on a single suspension parameter such as compression. And you also have to take account of the forces felt by the body. So I laugh every tile a game pretends to be the final perfect iteration like Project Cars does currently.

To come back on GT6, it is still very impressive for a video game. Every car I drove IRL felt very close in the game. My MX5, my ex CRX especially, but most of all, I've been really impressed by the Grande Punto Abarth, which is the exact same version in game than my father's one, and it felt just spot on in game compared to real life. Sure, it didn't left me out of brakes or get road tires cooked in 400km, but the reactions are so nicely reproduced !

In summer 2010 I drove the F430 Spider. Not something you can easily forget. Steering very light and responsive...incredible brakes...it felt very similar in the game.
Except, obviously, the sound. And with the roof down in real life you get the idea.

I also had a ride (passenger seat) in a Maserati GranTurismo S on the highway. It sticked to the road incredibly. It was like being on a railway.
This car (of course along with the Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione) simply has the most orgasmic sound I've ever heard.....and in GT5/GT6 it's the crappiest I've ever heard.

The cool thing about this event was the back to back driving. you really got a comparative feel for each car.

Yes, GT has a long way to go to becoming the ultimate simulator, but i do believe they capture the essense of the cars in their modeling.

The gearbox is another aspect PD should cover with accuracy. The aston had a **** gearbox, which was one of the reasons i didnt like the car. The ferrari shifted so smoothly it was beautiful, and the sound when you downshifted...mama mia!

Hello GTplanet,

So a couple of months ago i had the pleasure of driving a few cars, back to back, at a race track in EU.
Especially the lambo, she had that tendency to go sideways on exit. scary car to drive fast.
The vantage was as dull as it is in the game. just not a competitor against the others.
The ferrari was beautiful, everybit as light and responsive as its GT counterpart. drove straight as an arrow. The sound in GT could be much better, especially downshifts.
So what exactly are you driving? Vanquish or Vantage? Those are two different beasts.

And if its Vantage what is it? New V12 or Old V8?

So what exactly are you driving? Vanquish or Vantage? Those are two different beasts.

And if its Vantage what is it? New V12 or Old V8?

My bad. It was a v8 vantage Nurburgring edition

. 20140715_181840.jpg20140715_181847.jpg

Last edited:
Hello GTplanet,

What really got me flabbergasted was that some cars actually somewhat responded and felt like they do in the game.

No. Because of this: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/will-you-fix-the-incorrect-top-speed-physics.309298/

tree'd by @MXHyland

@stormbringer Zaandvoort would be in my top 5 of tracks to drive on, well done sir:cheers:. Let's hope it makes it to GT7

It is a great track. Used to be part of the F1 tracks. Parts of it reminded me of tracks ive played in GT. Really nice camber on a few corners. Sadly i dont think it will ever make it to GT.
The last time it was featured in a game was on the 1st xbox.

Attachments

• 20140715_155542.jpg
    20140715_155542.jpg
    330.6 KB · Views: 1
This is not a GT vs. thread, yet I have already had to delete a number of posts and hand out warnings from those posting flame-bait to try and turn it into that (and oddly it was a GT fan almost demanding that people do so).

Let me make this clear, we have dedicated comparison threads, use them, don't drag this thread off topic.

WE ALL KNOW THERE ARE PROBLEMS WITH GT.
Still, dont forget, there are alot of things GT gets right as well.

Physics is one of the most important things and if it's broken in GT6, then the game is flawed. No matter how much other good things it has.

It's like saying, "I bought a new car, but it has broken engine". And then "But look at it's shinny wheels and new interior! And it has a lot of other things that are great!"

But i don't care. I want proper engine!

Are you sure that's very important at that particular track?

Track has nothing to do with it. It's the physics engine, not the track.

I tested on all other tracks, and it's the same thing. I take Enzo on Fuji, and instead of ~290kph at the end of the straight I get unrealistic 325+

Where is the fun of testing and comparing cars then? If you get unrealistic results!

Last edited:
YZF: Your point is completwly irrelevant to the point of the author. The author says that GT6 creates a very similar experience of reality while driving. His personnal experience testifies of this.
What you are doing is coming here, adding nothing relevant to the topic and you talk off topic. It's not about if GT6 simulates 100% real life. No games ever will, it's practically impossible. Even Iracing has flaws, though less. But it's not a GT vs. thread. One of the aim of GT is to TRY simulating Real life physics. The matter is not if it simulates the spins of the electrons or not. The overall experience of persons judge from their own real life experience.
If you look only at the negative sides of GT physics, or any other racing game, you will never be satisfied, because simulating 100% real life is impossible.

It is a great track. Used to be part of the F1 tracks. Parts of it reminded me of tracks ive played in GT. Really nice camber on a few corners. Sadly i dont think it will ever make it to GT.
Zandvoort is awesome, And who knows if it comes to GT.
It is part of F1 history and the modernday DTM and F3 roster.

Wishfull thinking I know but who can blame me :D

YZF: Your point is completwly irrelevant to the point of the author. The author says that GT6 creates a very similar experience of reality while driving. His personnal experience testifies of this.
What you are doing is coming here, adding nothing relevant to the topic and you talk off topic. It's not about if GT6 simulates 100% real life. No games ever will, it's practically impossible. Even Iracing has flaws, though less. But it's not a GT vs. thread. One of the aim of GT is to TRY simulating Real life physics. The matter is not if it simulates the spins of the electrons or not. The overall experience of persons judge from their own real life experience.
If you look only at the negative sides of GT physics, or any other racing game, you will never be satisfied, because simulating 100% real life is impossible.

For some odd reason, some people expect too much out of this game.
Its really nice just to be able to feel some correlation between real life cars and a $50 game.
Just having that luxury at home is a blessing.
Games sure have come a long way since atari and commodore.

Its really nice just to be able to feel some correlation between real life cars and a $50 game.
I'm sorry but I do not share your opinion.

It was included in RACE 07, a racing simulator on PC. Haven't seen it any other games though without mods

What's up man, hey, just pay that YZF guy no mind, it's always someone that trys to come in a positive thread with negativity, or like the mod said, flame-bait, troll-bait, it's all the same. So let them get they comments deleted and warning points, don't feed them. But hey man great experience and comparison, I hope one day I can do the same.

I almost did a long time ago, I met the guy Rob at the MotorTrend car show that comes threw Baltimore once a year that does the SuperSpeeders DVDs, and he a YouTuber, he has a nasty C5 corvette also and many other supercars, they own I think it's called GothamRacing or something where they rent out supercars, they also have a paid experience where you pay and can drive like five supercars around on the streets for a certain amount of time, now I look back I wish I would have did it, that money would have been priceless. 👍

What's up man, hey, just pay that YZF guy no mind, it's always someone that trys to come in a positive thread with negativity, or like the mod said, flame-bait, troll-bait, it's all the same. So let them get they comments deleted and warning points, don't feed them. But hey man great experience and comparison, I hope one day I can do the same.

I almost did a long time ago, I met the guy Rob at the MotorTrend car show that comes threw Baltimore once a year that does the SuperSpeeders DVDs, and he a YouTuber, he has a nasty C5 corvette also and many other supercars, they own I think it's called GothamRacing or something where they rent out supercars, they also have a paid experience where you pay and can drive like five supercars around on the streets for a certain amount of time, now I look back I wish I would have did it, that money would have been priceless. 👍

You shouldve gone for it. Ive never driven on a race track before, let alone drive a ferrari or lambo, so it was really worth it. memorable experience.

No they will not.

Valid comments about the physcis engine are open for discussion. Positivism is not a requirement of membership or of posting in this or any thread.

The posts deleted and the warnings issued were for attempting to turn this thread into another GT vs. 'game x' thread, we already have those and do not want every thread turning into one.

Hello GTplanet,

Yes, I'm pleasantly surprised by the perceptual resemblance to the real thing - depending of course on my state of awareness at that moment.

If they get it any more real on my rinky dinky little screen I'm going to forget we climbed out of the trees just a short while ago.

Video gaming in general is progressing stupendously quickly and I have no doubts this particular simulator will continue to improve.

My compliments to you for having the luck to experience the real thing as well as the simulation.

Back