Poll: GTP Music Wall - Tommy Emmanuel.Music 

• Thread starter tlowr4
  • 6 comments

Tommy Emmanuel

• Hall of Fame!

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • He's good, but not Hall of Fame material.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meh, he's ok. Not a lot of intrest in him.

• Please take up a new profession.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Australia
Australia
N/A
N/A
From Wikipedia
Tommy was born in Australia in 1955. He received his first guitar in 1959 at the age of 4 - being taught by his mother to accompany her playing lap steel guitar. At the age of 7 he heard Chet Atkins on the radio. He vividly remembers this moment and says it greatly inspired him.[2]
By the age of 9, in 1964, he was a working professional musician. Recognizing the musical talents of Tommy and his brother Phil, their father created a family band, sold the family home and took his family on the road. With the family living in two station wagons, much of Emmanuel’s childhood was spent touring Australia with his family, playing rhythm guitar, and rarely going to school. The family found it difficult living on the road; they were poor and were often hungry, never settling in one place. His father would often drive ahead, organize interviews, advertising and finding the local music shop where they'd have an impromptu concert the next day. Eventually the New South Wales Department of Education insisted that the Emmanuel children needed to go to school regularly.[2][3]
After his father died in 1966, the family settled in Parkes. Tommy eventually moved to Sydney where he came to be noticed nationally when he won a string of talent contests in his teen years.[2][4] By the late 1970s, he was playing drums with his brother Phil in the group Goldrush as well doing session work on numerous albums and jingles. He gained further prominence in the late 1970s as the lead guitarist in The Southern Star Band, the backing group for vocalist Doug Parkinson. During the early 1980s, he joined the reformed lineup of leading '70s rock group Dragon, touring widely with them, including a 1987 tour with Tina Turner. He left the group to embark on a solo career.
Throughout his career he has played with many notable artists including Chet Atkins, Eric Clapton, Sir George Martin, Air Supply, John Denver, Les Paul and Doc Watson. Eric Clapton, Chet Atkins, Les Paul, and Joe Satriani all say that he is the best they have ever heard which is a testament to his extraordinary abilities.[citation needed]
In 1994 he became a member of the John Farnham Band. Australian music veteran John Farnham invited him to play guitar next to Stuart Fraser from Noiseworks for the Concert For Rwanda.
Tommy and his brother Phil performed live in Sydney at the closing ceremony of the Summer Olympics in 2000. The event was televised worldwide with an estimated 2.85 billion viewers.[4] When performing together the pair will sometimes share and play just one guitar with each having one hand free.
In October 2002 he was invited to perform the Australian folk song Waltzing Matilda at a service at the Washington National Cathedral held for the victims of the Bali bombings.
In December 2007 he was diagnosed with heart issues[5] and was forced to take a break from his hectic touring schedule due to exhaustion, but returned to full-time touring in early 2008.
In late January 2010, having been deeply touched by the tragic 2010 Haiti earthquake earlier in the same month, Emmanuel announced[6] that he would be auctioning off three guitars, that he personally played and owned, on eBay, in order to raise money to donate to UNICEF in Haiti.
In June 2010 he was appointed a Member of the Order of Australia (AM).

Here's some vids.

Tlowr4, you do not create a music wall when there is already a GTP Music Wall, ran by somebody else. You do not just make an episode of a series without being the producer of the music wall.

Oh, ummm. I'm confused, sorry. I thought you made your indervidual artists etc in their separate threads. I was baseing it off this. I apologize if this is wrong. I've never done one of these before, so it's all new to me.

EDIT: I just found your thread about it here. I didn't see that before sorry. I thought it was the same as the GTP Cool car wall. My apologies again.

Last edited:
Ugh, I said nominate it, not create a new thread! And the Music cool wall IS the same as the Car Cool wall. GTP members nominate, and the thread operator creates the thread for each nomination.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back