Poll: Would you be happy with current standard cars in a PS4 Gran Turismo game?

• Thread starter Samus
  • 525 comments

Will you be happy with standard cars in a Playstation 4 Gran Turismo?

• Yes

Votes: 195 23.6%
  • No

Votes: 632 76.4%

• Total voters
I expected the spread to be much more even between people voting yes and no. I'm surprised to see it slide so much in the favor of no, to be honest, and I think that's because it seems like many more people were tolerant of standards in GT5 and GT6 than they apparently would be in GT7. So my question to those people who were ok with standards in the last two games but wouldn't be ok with them in the future is: what changed? Is it that the gap between standards and PS4 premiums will be just too wide to be acceptable? Is it because you think standards were a necessary stop gap to provide more time for the development of more premiums but that they should be finally phased out? Why is something that was ok then not ok anymore?

I expected the spread to be much more even between people voting yes and no. I'm surprised to see it slide so much in the favor of no, to be honest, and I think that's because it seems like many more people were tolerant of standards in GT5 and GT6 than they apparently would be in GT7. So my question to those people who were ok with standards in the last two games but wouldn't be ok with them in the future is: what changed? Is it that the gap between standards and PS4 premiums will be just too wide to be acceptable? Is it because you think standards were a necessary stop gap to provide more time for the development of more premiums but that they should be finally phased out? Why is something that was ok then not ok anymore?

You answered your own question there, it was hardly acceptable but passable this generation let alone the next one.

hqdefault.jpg

Enough with standards, we're in 2014. It's embarrassing

Personally I wasn't happy with them in this generation but this question is about whether they're acceptable on PS4, two generations on from PS2. I would assume that for many this crosses a limit of acceptability, just as PS1 cars on PS3 may have done if PD had done that.

The amount of the cars I drive are standard so yes keep them in for GT7 👍.

Just curious, how long would you hold this stance for? If we got to the next generation after PS4 and uber photorealism in cars was upon us would the answer still be yes, if they didn't have time to re-model all of them standard cars?

For the 'YES' voters I'm curious where their limits lie.

I'd be happy to see a drastic reduction in the total car count if it meant we didn't get the standard cars from GT6 ported into the PS4 version.

Personally I wasn't happy with them in this generation but this question is about whether they're acceptable on PS4, two generations on from PS2. I would assume that for many this crosses a limit of acceptability, just as PS1 cars on PS3 may have done if PD had done that.

Just curious, how long would you hold this stance for? If we got to the next generation after PS4 and uber photorealism in cars was upon us would the answer still be yes, if they didn't have time to re-model all of them standard cars?

For the 'YES' voters I'm curious where their limits lie.

Still curious.

Of course. I hardly look at the cars anyways since I use hood camera. :) And besides, how many people actually use interior view?
Forgetting about your personal interest for a moment (not discounting it, just put it aside because I know you're a reasonable person), would you not be concerned about PD's reputation in the marketplace if it includes GT4 assets in a GT7 game? Reputation = sales does it not? Less sales = less money for development and a decline in the franchise does it not? The sales of GT6 are brutal compared to all previous versions of the game including Prologue and I'm already concerned that they'll be hampered with budget constraints for GT7 and it'll be missing key next gen features because of that.

While I do have fun with a few standards in GT6, I personally think it would be absolutely unacceptable and an embarrassment if GT7 were to have cars that are two (console) generations old. No other racing games that came out in the last five years have two sets of cars: One set that looks amazing, the other set looking like they came right from a PS2.

Standard cars should remain in GT7 because you got to have variety in the game and I think PD is doing a great job with the cars. If you do not want to use the standard cars that's ok but there their in the game if you want to use them. I do not care if you have cars from two or three (console) generations because this is Gran Turismo series.

Standard cars should remain in GT7 because you got to have variety in the game and I think PD is doing a great job with the cars. If you do not want to use the standard cars that's ok but there their in the game if you want to use them. I do not care if you have cars from two or three (console) generations because this is Gran Turismo series.
Given that 500 premiums is a possibility on GT7, please explain how 500 cars is not variety enough. Which other AAA videogame uses 10 year old graphic assets?

Given that 500 premiums is a possibility on GT7, please explain how 500 cars is not variety enough. Which other AAA videogame uses 10 year old graphic assets?
That is my opinion on this Johnnypenso, I do not have to please explain how 500 cars is not variety enough.

But that's the thing, the majority of cars modeled as standards in GT6 do not add great variety, they are full of dupes and minor variations of the same car. I would much prefer rreal variety. As for "Don't like them, don't use them" that will never be a valid defence of standard cars as long as PD keep them present in the game in the form of AI or online players.

As for the last point, what do you mean by that? PD and the GT series are above anyone else and can do anything and get away with it?

That is my opinion on this Johnnypenso, I do not have to please explain how 500 cars is not variety enough.
No you don't have to explain why 500 cars isn't "variety" although I'm sure more than a few people would disagree with that statement. 10 minutes per car, per layout with just one tire compound and no tuning is 8333 hours (4 full work years) of game time..sounds like variety to me.

gt1_screenshot.jpg

:sly:

Even GT1/GT2 cars as well? Dem pixelated models. :dopey:
I miss the TRD3000GT. :(

But seriously, how do y'all feel that Kojima tossed the Snake character model from MGS1, pixelated and all as a bonus character to play in the beautiful MGSV-GZ? It's actually quite funny. Silly Japanese!

I voted yes, because I kind of don't really care.

I voted no, about half of those standards are skylines, Mazdas, Hondas, etc that I don't care for. PS2 cars on a PS4 game would be ridiculous as well.

No you don't have to explain why 500 cars isn't "variety" although I'm sure more than a few people would disagree with that statement. 10 minutes per car, per layout with just one tire compound and no tuning is 8333 hours (4 full work years) of game time..sounds like variety to me.
I agree fully. 500 cars in GT5/6 premium quality or GT7 super premium quality will be enough for a game release, and further premium additions could be added as updates/DLC. Considering the majority of standards are duplicates of one model or another, we could have 2 premium models of each and leave the rest behind. I know Nissan is a major contributor for the GT franchise, but they have over 100 cars in the game and roughly 25 or so are actually premium. Would they rather have their brand displayed in a horribly pixelated standard model, or amazingly photo-realistic PS4 premium? I would assume the latter.

If this was any other game series, I don't think these car companies would've supported the sub-par visuals in GT6 but, coming into PS4 territory now, they may not be so supportive when players pass over their pixelated cars and use the beautiful premiums of another dealer. If PD devotes the time to update their collection, it will be a win-win for their image as well as the car companies involved.

500 cars in GT5/6 premium quality or GT7 super premium quality will be enough for a game release, and further premium additions could be added as updates/DLC.
It depends.

If we get Race Mod for all those cars and a Livery Editor which can paint over fixed liveries, or every race car comes in a base model that can be liveried, then 500-ish cars would be fine. Especially with periodic DLC of new and classic GT cars.

If no on any of that, there will be moping because cars will invariably be missed.

Latest Posts

Back