Votes: 165 40.8%
  • not bad

Votes: 110 27.2%
  • I've seen better set ups at walmart

Votes: 73 18.1%

• Total voters
IMG_6708.jpg

So what's under the bonnet?
Each Racecentre SX02 simulator is fully designed and manufactured in Australia by Simworx.
The aerodyne chassis has been specifically made to suit a variety of motorsports and seriously comes alive when you are in the game. The multi axis full motion platform produces the most realistic movement sensations. Drivers will experience:
Ripple strip effects
Acceleration thrust and throttle power
Deceleration and braking forces
Road contour effects, including rises and falls in elevation
Shunts, bumps and wall scrapes
The reproduction F1 driver’s seat is ergonomically designed to give you maximum comfort, whilst retaining its authenticity. This feature is important to Racecentre, as the small cockpit and enclosed models which are usually associated with sim racing centres considerably restrict the size of gamers who can use the simulator, whereas our simulators have been built to suit most body types.
The unique internal audio port design gives you unbelievable vibration and surround sound, all of which is adjustable from the controls mounted on your seat. Within the chassis, are fitted various audio compartments and baffles, that are internally connected from the sub woofer chamber via internal audio tubes. This transmits vibration even to your feet. The long throw sub woofer works hard under your seat and it‘s output is finely tuned within the chassis, the chassis being finally ventilated via two chrome, internally curved exhaust tips, out of the rear sail panel. On your seat are mounted two triple cone Neo Titanium speakers. These outstanding audio drivers will immerse your head totally in the game. Whether you are driving F1, V8‘s, Rally or GT cars all of the sounds and vibrations unique to these and others, are accurately reproduced in the SX02 simulator chassis.
In sim racing, there is nothing better than being able to experience surround sound and surround vision. Our simulators have triple HD screens in the immediate visual field of the driver. The outer screens are angled towards you and the images on those screens move away from you faster than your look ahead screen, in effect giving the driver an immersive experience of speed not previously possible.

This is just an observation of something I've noticed with some of these custom setups. First of all I am extremely impressed with most of the setups I've seen and after seeing all of these custom cockpits it gave me inspiration to create my own custom setup. What I don't understand is why anyone would go through such great lengths, spend so much time and effort creating their custom cockpit and making the setup as realistic as possible but then race in "bumper view" rather than "cockpit view". I started racing in bumper view and while it is easier to drive in that view, now that I have my custom cockpit setup with nice wheel, nice seat etc. I have to race in cockpit view, racing in bumper view just seems pointless and takes away from the realism of the experience...

Just my opinion but with the right rig and screen heights bumper can be more realistic than cockpit. Don't know about you but my car doesn't have 2 steering wheels.

Caz
Just my opinion but with the right rig and screen heights bumper can be more realistic than cockpit. Don't know about you but my car doesn't have 2 steering wheels.

Set up your rig and screen to where two wheels aren't shown. Or, you know, change settings in whatever title to not show the wheel.

Makes sense, but ATM I only race gt5 so not an option for me. I do use cockpit view for driving for fun but if its a serious race I will use bumper. Have been using cockpit more and more tho.

I do understand the point of his post, but would be better suited to chase or roof cam rather than bumper.

Caz

I don't know about you but I've never sat on the hood of my car and drove so I disagree about the bumper view being more realistic. When I'm in my car driving I see a windshield, part of my hood, dash, etc. so I don't know how just having a couple of gauges on your screen would be more realistic. As another poster suggested there are usually settings in whatever game you're playing to "customize" your view so that you don't see two wheels. I have my setup configured so that I only see part of the wheel on the screen and since my seat height is evenly matched to the screen I only see my wheel rather than two wheels when I am sitting in driving position... Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and obviously drive in whatever view is more comfortable for them. I am just curious as to why anyone would go through so much trouble creating an awesome setup to make the experience as real as possible but then cheat themselves in the end. Actually I think I know why, driving in cockpit view is much harder which tells me these people are more concerned with coming in first rather than the experience of driving and racing..

I'd always used bumper view, until I got triple screens. Then using cockpit view was really amazing, but only in some cars. I think it's really a matter of personal preference

This is just an observation of something I've noticed with some of these custom setups. First of all I am extremely impressed with most of the setups I've seen and after seeing all of these custom cockpits it gave me inspiration to create my own custom setup. What I don't understand is why anyone would go through such great lengths, spend so much time and effort creating their custom cockpit and making the setup as realistic as possible but then race in "bumper view" rather than "cockpit view". I started racing in bumper view and while it is easier to drive in that view, now that I have my custom cockpit setup with nice wheel, nice seat etc. I have to race in cockpit view, racing in bumper view just seems pointless and takes away from the realism of the experience...

If I had triple screens I think I would race from cockpit more often but I don't unfortunately.:grumpy:

Cockpit view in GT5 is not exactly realistic either and has it's own problems. First the field of view is so extremely limited. It is very hard to get a feel of what's going on around you. Some cars are better than others but for the most part I don't enjoy it. Also, to me the depth perception seems off. It's very hard to get a feel for brake points, where I am in relation to the curbs, etc. I don't have tht problem in a real car, I know where everything around me is and it's very easy to have a sense of if my speed is too fast. Too me this feeling is closer to bumper view than cockpit. I also wish the mirrors were better in cockpit. I understand they are the real cars mirrors and in the real positions, but a lot of them you really can't see anything as half or more of it is cutoff. I do enjoy messing around in 3D and cockpit but if I'm trying to be fast or racing with real people there is no way I'm in cockpit or I would be a hazard to other drivers. I did have the idea of a cockpit, no ABS, no aids, HUD off series though. Could be fun with the right people.

P:
As a gt5 only racer, I do not have any options regarding interior view.
Aside from 3 zoom options. Whichever don't really help much. Full zoom is to close for a single screen, barely seeing the gauge cluster while wide creates to much blocked screen from the roof. In any car I have driven, the roofline does not interfere with my line of site like it does in gt. From my first car 63 Chevy Biscayne thru my 3 pickups over the years. Including also my old man's collection ( 70 hemi curate is beast to drive!)

I guess my opinion is limited due to only being a gt racer right now. If I had proper FOV adjustments including seat heights and the ability to turn off the steering wheel I would be in full agreeance with you.

If I had triple screens I think I would race from cockpit more often but I don't unfortunately.:grumpy:

Cockpit view in GT5 is not exactly realistic either and has it's own problems. First the field of view is so extremely limited. It is very hard to get a feel of what's going on around you. Some cars are better than others but for the most part I don't enjoy it. Also, to me the depth perception seems off. It's very hard to get a feel for brake points, where I am in relation to the curbs, etc. I also wish the mirrors were better in cockpit. I understand they are the real cars mirrors and in the real positions, but a lot of them you really can't see anything as half or more of it is cutoff. I do enjoy messing around in 3D and cockpit but if I'm trying to be fast or racing with real people there is no way I'm in cockpit or I would be a hazard to other drivers. I did have the idea of a cockpit, no ABS, no aids, HUD off series though. Could be fun with the right people.

Your totally right in single screen the field of view is too small. It wasn't until I used triples that I saw exactly what we were missing ......Which made me rethink using cockpit view......And some cars still are very very difficult to see out of.

Caz
P:
As a gt5 only racer, I do not have any options regarding interior view.
Aside from 3 zoom options. Whichever don't really help much. Full zoom is to close for a single screen, barely seeing the gauge cluster while wide creates to much blocked screen from the roof. In any car I have driven, the roofline does not interfere with my line of site like it does in gt. From my first car 63 Chevy Biscayne thru my 3 pickups over the years. Including also my old man's collection ( 70 hemi curate is beast to drive!)

I guess my opinion is limited due to only being a gt racer right now. If I had proper FOV adjustments including seat heights and the ability to turn off the steering wheel I would be in full agreeance with you.

These are all very valid points and I completely agree with you on all points. Taking all points into consideration though I still feel like I'm cheating myself out of the best experience possible when I'm in bumper view. Like I mentioned in my first post, I started out in bumper view but then switched to cockpit and now there is no going back :).

I dont like either. I think forza did it right offering the hood view. you can see a lot more FOV but adding the hood in there increases the immersion more. As soon as i get my cockpit setup on Rfactor2/Asseto Corsa I intend to use cocpit view for an accurate view of the rotational position the car is in but I will mod it to make the car invisible except for the tires, making my cockpit butt up against the screen to the proper position. The only cockpit view i want is of my own.

Cockpit view in GT5 is not exactly realistic either and has it's own problems. First the field of view is so extremely limited. It is very hard to get a feel of what's going on around you. Some cars are better than others but for the most part I don't enjoy it. Also, to me the depth perception seems off. It's very hard to get a feel for brake points, where I am in relation to the curbs, etc. I don't have tht problem in a real car, I know where everything around me is and it's very easy to have a sense of if my speed is too fast. Too me this feeling is closer to bumper view than cockpit. I also wish the mirrors were better in cockpit. I understand they are the real cars mirrors and in the real positions, but a lot of them you really can't see anything as half or more of it is cutoff. I do enjoy messing around in 3D and cockpit but if I'm trying to be fast or racing with real people there is no way I'm in cockpit or I would be a hazard to other drivers. I did have the idea of a cockpit, no ABS, no aids, HUD off series though. Could be fun with the right people.

The only reason I race with bumper cam is because I have a wider range of view of the road ahead and in the mirror. If I was going to use the cockpit view camera then the field of view would be unrealistically narrow, as in real life you can usually see the whole cockpit at the corner of your eyes. However, having a triple screen set up would be much better because it is much more realistic.

The only thing stopping me from getting a triple screen set up is the fact that I wouldn't have any where to put the extra monitors and more importantly that you have to buy 2 extra PS3's and 2 extra copies of Gran Turismo 5 :yuck: !

Caz
Makes sense, but ATM I only race gt5 so not an option for me. I do use cockpit view for driving for fun but if its a serious race I will use bumper. Have been using cockpit more and more tho.

I do understand the point of his post, but would be better suited to chase or roof cam rather than bumper.

There is no "bumper cam" in Gran Turismo. The view is from inside the car without the car. This was proved before GT5 released with a video demonstrating damage in GT5 with a Subby at Tokyo R246. The car struck a barrier, which ended up on the hood. From the first person view the block was floating in air. From exterior and in replay, the block was on the hood. If it was a "bumper cam", the block would not have been visible.

It is also a fact that the edges of the gauge cluster are the edges of the car.

DaveTheStalker
There is no "bumper cam" in Gran Turismo. The view is from inside the car without the car. This was proved before GT5 released with a video demonstrating damage in GT5 with a Subby at Tokyo R246. The car struck a barrier, which ended up on the hood. From the first person view the block was floating in air. From exterior and in replay, the block was on the hood. If it was a "bumper cam", the block would not have been visible.

Semantics.
It is still widely referee to as bumper cam, not in car with an invisable cockpit cam.

Caz
Semantics.
It is still widely referee to as bumper cam, not in car with an invisable cockpit cam.

First person view. It's insulting to call it "bumper cam". As that term is widely used by lesser games. Such NFS.

How about HASWAVFFC? (Horizontal, altitude surpressed wide angle view front facing camera)

Last edited:

I'm afraid that I'm going to have to disagree with you here. If the bumper cam is really the cockpit view without the car actually there, then why is the camera so low to the ground?

I'm afraid that I'm going to have to disagree with you here. If the bumper cam is really the cockpit view without the car actually there, then why is the camera so low to the ground?
Test this buy driving up to rear bumper of another car test with different size cars/trucks/cubes, what you'll see is all bumper and nothing else:idea:. If cam was higher you would see rear window. Also can do this by pulling up to a wall in the game and changing through all views.

Here is my setup:

I have a Rennsport V.1 WheelStand with hard mounted CSPs (non-destructive), a Scat ProCar Sportsman Seat mounted to a GranStand 80/20 seat base frame, and custom mounts for Fanatec Sequential and H-shifters made of 80/20.

01_zpsea83363f.jpg

Dual sequential shifter mount made of 80/20 hard mounted (non-destructive) to the Rennsport Wheel Stand.

07RightShifter_zps84991728.jpg

The shifter mounts sit a little higher than they do on Fanatec's single shift plate included with the Rennsport WS.
I only use them for the Fanatec sequential shifter, I can easily change it out from left to right.

picture.php

There is a PS/2 Female/Female adapter (visible in bottom center of above pic) attached to the 80/20 shift mount with two standard Fanatec PS/2 shifter cables.

I use it when shifting between left and right sequential shifters so I do not have to unplug the shifter cable from the right side shifter port of the Fanatec Wheel when using the left side sequential shifter.

Fanatec H-shifter attached to X-CPO adapter and mounted on 80/20 support that can be attached to either side of seat frame by adjusting only two screws. X-CPO adapter is mounted to 80/20 using 6" wide aluminum plate.

picture.php

Both sequential and H-shifters mounted to right side.

10_zps722de7d5.jpg

Both sequential and H-shifters mounted to left side

11_zps6fa5557b.jpg

I also have a long (1M) PS/2 cable that runs from the Fanatec Wheel's left side shifter port and down the wheel stand to the H-shifter.

Since Fanatec wheels only support one shifter connection at a time, I just have to unplug the cable from the Fanatec Wheel's right side shifter port I use for the sequential shifter when I switch to H-shifter, no fuss anymore.

I over-built the H-shifter mount on purpose to minimize flex because H-shifter movement is a lot more violent than sequential shifters.

I am in the process of designing an 80/20 rig to replace the Rennsport WS, so I built both the sequential and H-shifter mounts so that I can use them on the new rig as well as adapt them to other shifters.

Last edited:
Hello, just finished stage 1 of my set up, thought I would share the pics -

27052012066.jpg

27052012067.jpg

27052012068.jpg

Pretty much everything is adjustable - the frame is one of those multi adjustable ladders, and I have strengthened the pivots using tex screws. Simply remove the screws, adjust to position, replace screws. The seat is from a Mitsubishi Magna. All up, it has cost just over $100 (plus $195 for the G27). It is fairly sturdy, as the plywood braces the frame quite well. There are small castor wheels at the rear of the frame, so you can just lift the front end and easily push it around.

Stage 2 will involve carpeting the floor and concealing the wiring. I also have some aluminium paneling off a Boeing 777 , which I might use to cover the front/side/top plywood.

Back