Project CARS General Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Terronium-12
  • 20,822 comments
It is, I cant imagine that SMS will overlook that, since they are rightfully proud at their endurance racing lineup. If everything else fails, I d think they would at least introduce another option in addition to identical/same class/random opponents, something like "same series" or "multi class endurance" etc.

This is just my personal thought, not coming from SMS information, but I think they'll probably settle on 24 for consoles.

That would be a bit disappointing if that's all the PS4 can manage. Couldn't FM4 on the 360 have that many (24)? I like the idea of 64 but it'd be a big drop down to 24. It would be good to be able to choose from having all graphical options turned up to the max with 24 cars but if the user compromises on graphical options/quality then to be able to increase the number of cars in a race.

Is there a list of planned features for the game? Even if it's unofficial I'd be really interested in seeing a summary.

My PS4 isn't getting much action yet.

Even just the option of picking the car (no livery) would extend the life of the game. Randomized grids are soulless and repetitive by comparison, IMO.

I would have thought it would be easy enough to have a preselected (by user) group of cars/liveries that can be saved and reused for any race/custom series

Last edited:
No Forza 4 could do only 16 and to do that it would have to not render the track side crowds and not do visual damage. Even Forza 5 currently has 16 car races however looking at the badge rewards that maybe put up to 24 in a future update. I would say you could get up to 40 players with impostering which gives far away objects a very basic model making it easier for the game to draw it and you not notice a difference. Basically I imagin it will be a case of how many cars can your run with it sticking at 60fps.

That would be a bit disappointing if that's all the PS4 can manage. Couldn't FM4 on the 360 have that many? I like the idea of 64 but it'd be a big drop down to 24. It would be good to be able to choose from having all graphical options turned up to the max with 24 cars but if the user compromises on graphical options/quality then to be able to increase the number of cars in a race.

Is there a list of planned features for the game? Even if it's unofficial I'd be really interested in seeing a summary.

My PS4 isn't getting much action yet.

To answer in point, I agree with you that more cars would be better, but both the devs and the casual gamer would not be so inclined, unfortunately. It's not really a done thing to allow console gamers that option for two reasons; one, it may be at the technical limit of what the console, and more specifically its online capability. Secondly, it allows people to put up videos saying 'OMG!!!!!11!!!, Theeeze grafix r terrible, theyz luk jus lik a PS1 gam!!!!1!11!' That's not going to be any good for sales.

List of planned features will be coming soon, but NDAs are stopping us from releasing a ful list of details until they have been all confirmed (note, alpha stage - content locked - is almost upon us).

What we can say is it will have everything you expect from a game of this type, a properly structured, deep career mode (Not just a random series of races), time trial, single race (race creator) and a fleshed out online mode.

What features will or won't be inside those core features is as above, to be confirmed, as are secondary features like livery editor, photo mode and that sort of thing.

To answer in point, I agree with you that more cars would be better, but both the devs and the casual gamer would not be so inclined, unfortunately. It's not really a done thing to allow console gamers that option for two reasons; one, it may be at the technical limit of what the console, and more specifically its online capability. Secondly, it allows people to put up videos saying 'OMG!!!!!11!!!, Theeeze grafix r terrible, theyz luk jus lik a PS1 gam!!!!1!11!' That's not going to be any good for sales.

List of planned features will be coming soon, but NDAs are stopping us from releasing a ful list of details until they have been all confirmed (note, alpha stage - content locked - is almost upon us).

That's a shame but I do take your point. I'd forgotten that some people are too dozy to understand options.

Looking forward to it. I thought Shift 2 could have been a great game with much better driving physics and less bugs. If those are much improved it should be a winner.

Thanks for the info to you and @Samus

Secondly, it allows people to put up videos saying 'OMG!!!!!11!!!, Theeeze grafix r terrible, theyz luk jus lik a PS1 gam!!!!1!11!' That's not going to be any good for sales.
Haha, nailed it:lol:

All I can say is just wait and see. As soon as we have a confirmed feature list that we can release (which shouldn't be long now), we will give you as much information as we can, and be able to expand on the options and any questions you have.

I know it seems frustrating to keep teasing you with this information, but we have to be extremely careful; there have been several people leaking information they really shouldn't have, and have lost their membership. Most of us don't want that, so we are having to be careful. Bear in mind that this is a totally unique way of developing a game, and we are all being given acess to a game and its information much earlier than normal.

Please be patient, and we will give you as much information as we can.

Really looking forward to this game, November cannot come soon enough for myself will be getting it on the PS4 , just hope my DFGT will be supported by Sony, absolutely loved the Shift series on console, one very underrated game, the cars and the track list look phenomenal.

Speaking of DFGT's, which wheels currently work with the game? Is there an official PCars wheel? Is there a certain wheel in the SMS offices that the dev's use for testing?

Speaking of DFGT's, which wheels currently work with the game? Is there an official PCars wheel? Is there a certain wheel in the SMS offices that the dev's use for testing?

DFGT and G25/27 is what is being used for testing, and I am sure everyone has their 'opinion' about why or why not use better wheels.

PW just took the words out my mouth. We know there are more licenses to come, we can't say who they are, but nothing is confirmed and finalised yet.

That would be a bit disappointing if that's all the PS4 can manage. Couldn't FM4 on the 360 have that many (24)? I like the idea of 64 but it'd be a big drop down to 24. It would be good to be able to choose from having all graphical options turned up to the max with 24 cars but if the user compromises on graphical options/quality then to be able to increase the number of cars in a race.

24 is quite a lot of cars for anything but the largest endurance races in real life.

It's never too late!
PW just took the words out my mouth. We know there are more licenses to come, we can't say who they are, but nothing is confirmed and finalised yet.

You guys are a bit too positive about this in my opinion. Cause after all those years of development there isn't a single car 'finished' yet apart from the tyres. Plus there isn't even a single set of tyres finished either.

So personally I see it as follows. Apart from tyres, unless full data on the car and its performance is disclosed by the manufacturer very quickly without SMS having to 'guess' certain parts, I doubt any car will be properly included into the game. With properly I mean in a finished and for everyone (SMS and WMD) satisfying state.
Another option is that SMS already has data on the to be licensed cars and is already testing these cars in-house (so outside of WMD vision so to speak), just to provide that lead in development if a license still comes through late in the game.

I am not saying it is impossible, but I am not going to expect the impossible either... if you know what I mean. So let us just be a bit realistic about it all and hope for cars to be included, but don't be disappointed if all or a few of the cars will be post release inclusions or DLC.

So let us just be a bit realistic about it all and hope for cars to be included, but don't be disappointed if all or a few of the cars will be post release inclusions or DLC.
That is what is going to happen. Not all the cars that they have are going to be there at release, some will be released post release for free while others will come in a DLC pack. Keep in mind that these things still have to be discussed so don't take my words for granted.

I once saw a video with a Thrustmaster T500 RS banner in it, I guess that is confirmed. :D

You guys are a bit too positive about this in my opinion. Cause after all those years of development there isn't a single car 'finished' yet apart from the tyres. Plus there isn't even a single set of tyres finished either.

So personally I see it as follows. Apart from tyres, unless full data on the car and its performance is disclosed by the manufacturer very quickly without SMS having to 'guess' certain parts, I doubt any car will be properly included into the game. With properly I mean in a finished and for everyone (SMS and WMD) satisfying state.
Another option is that SMS already has data on the to be licensed cars and is already testing these cars in-house (so outside of WMD vision so to speak), just to provide that lead in development if a license still comes through late in the game.

I am not saying it is impossible, but I am not going to expect the impossible either... if you know what I mean. So let us just be a bit realistic about it all and hope for cars to be included, but don't be disappointed if all or a few of the cars will be post release inclusions or DLC.

I look at the manufacturer announcements and the fact that they almost always release a car straight away. I do think there is a lot being held back whilst they wait for licenses to be confirmed and such. Plus I think we underestimate how much work has been done and that the cars aren't quite the primary focus yet.

I look at the manufacturer announcements and the fact that they almost always release a car straight away. I do think there is a lot being held back whilst they wait for licenses to be confirmed and such. Plus I think we underestimate how much work has been done and that the cars aren't quite the primary focus yet.

Cars that are released often at first borrow physics settings from near equal cars initially. Than after that they slowly get some initial car specific settings which get ever more slowly improved over time.
So what I want to say is that the cars us members get initially are just the visual carcass and nothing else, with on rare occasion maybe initial car specific physics settings from the get go.

Also if cars isn't their primary focus yet it will be about darn time to make it one, as that is what a racing game is about I hope. That is what you want to play with, the rest is only secondary to the car. At least from my point of view.

Come on, Logi. You know better than that, you ve been part of the project long enough. Cars are the primary focus of the vehicle department - end of story. :rolleyes:

I agree with you Logi, and I would say that the Caterham Superlight 500 is the closest to being complete.

As far as car modeling and development is concerned, the system that they use basically means that they work on lots of models all at the same time, so while they have lots of unfinished cars at the moment, there is going to be a whole slew of cars coming in towards the end of the development stage.

Come on, Logi. You know better than that, you ve been part of the project long enough. Cars are the primary focus of the vehicle department - end of story. :rolleyes:

You forget I said 'if' that would be the case. Knowing better is the other side of the story, plus it is hard not to make it a primary focus in a race game. :P

Lol. I presume it will mean there would be very high winds. I'm soooo looking forward to have the current weather effects in a game, it will make such a difference to racing leagues.

This is my first time posting on the Project CARS forum.
I have been a Gran Turismo Fan for a long time and was extremely disappointed when Sony Decided to not do Gran Turismo 6 for Playstation 4, I mean, I know why they did the PS3 (Wider Audience, More Profit, I get it), but to not have a version of your premier racing game ready to show off your hot new hardware is just nuts to me and almost made me purchase an Xbox One just to get a next gen racer I mean at least Microsoft realized how important it was to have their top racer ready to go no matter how incomplete some may say that it is.

When I found this thread and started to really pay attention to Project CARS (I had to read 196 pages to catch up), I was extremely happy to see that the decision was made to go with PS4, I have 2 PS3’s in the house one is mine and the other belongs to my son, I also brought him a PS4 before Christmas (I must say I have only seen him use it 4 times so far). I just didn’t see any value in a PS3 version especially since the one thing that caught my eye in the first place was the beautiful graphics that I was seeing from the PC uploads.

I know there are those who say that the Graphics don’t matter as long as every thing else like Physics are good, but I just don’t agree with that philosophy, I think that almost any game will always benefit from graphical realism, of course the other pieces must be in place also but one doesn’t do well without the other.

The thing that I am very curious about it how much of the great graphics that I have been seeing is going to be preserved on the PS4 version, I am just hoping that the final product on that platform is not a dumbed down version graphically, since I have not been able to see a PS4 upload, I can’t help to wonder what to expect.

I found this link but of course it is only still screenshots, No videos

http://www.ps4home.com/17-new-project-cars-screenshots/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Has anyone seen the PS4 version and know what level of graphics we can expect?? Of course in a perfect world for me, it would run at the highest possible resolution, have amazing physics, great sound, and all of the greatest cars, not all of the junk in Gran Turismo, but the really great super cars that actually mean something to people who love cars.

Last edited:
For most PC players, the highest quality screenshots aren't feasible either, so don't expect wonders from the PS4 version.
But to put it in perspective, some people here are using graphic cards that cost as much or more than the PS4, and even use 2 of them.

It still looks great with my GTX560Ti though.

Back