Project CARS General Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Terronium-12
  • 20,822 comments
I think they are still working on the optimizations for quad-core+ systems. I remember Griff added that -MT option to the launcher a while back, but it's been quite spotty, so I think there's still some work to be done.

I've read often it works better on 4 core systems than on 2 core systems. It's also in the recommended specs. Would make sense anyway in 2012...

DG_Silva
Apparently it works well on the Bulldozers quite well, even the FX-8150 across eight cores.

Hmmm. Does anyone have any benches posted on WMD? Curious how it performs compared to Sandy/Ivy Bridge on this title.

I'd like to see them incorporate Virtu MVP well, also.

G.T.Ace
Would make sense anyway in 2012...

Lol. True. But yet it's never that simple.

I have a Intel Core2Duo E7400 with 2.8 GHz, 3.5 GB RAM (32 bit Windows XP) and a ATi 4830 HD card with 512Mb. It doesn't run playable in 640x480 with everything set to low or off. So... take these as the absolute minimum.
If you do a small overclock on your CPU, you should be able to play it. I can play it at 720P at like 45FPS on a ATI HD 3850 256MB with Q9300 at stock 2.5GHz. I might change the settings so it runs at 30FPS and see how console versions will look like at the moment.

Does anyone think this could be played on a Intel Core i5 Quad-Core (Ivy Bridge) processor with an AMD Radeon HD 7850 graphics card? The i5 runs somewhere between 3 and 3.5 GHz.

Does anyone think this could be played on a Intel Core i5 Quad-Core (Ivy Bridge) processor with an AMD Radeon HD 7850 graphics card? The i5 runs somewhere between 3 and 3.5 GHz.

Yes, will run great. 👍

I have that set up. I overclocked and I get around 40 fps with one or to things toned down. Monza historic I get 30 fps though

I have that set up. I overclocked and I get around 40 fps with one or to things toned down. Monza historic I get 30 fps though

Nice! And thanks everyone, I will definitely buy this when my computer is done.

Hmm.... Hang on a mo... Let me just go get it....

Would you like me to continue? I've got a whole list of them right back to the first build. Also bear in mind that all of the builds that are released, are also compiled into Xbox360 and PS3 builds to make sure they work on those systems at the same time. To say that zero work has been done only goes to show how much you don't read. The reason why they have held back on showing console shots is because they are waiting to be able to optimise the game before saying 'This is how the game is going to look'.
I didn't know that. Nice to hear it.

About console graphics I would prefer less track details, less post fx jingles, 60 fps and good anti-aliasing values. Clean simple graphics is better than "over the top" stuff forced to use tons of aliasing.

I completely agree with you HKS, I would rather a smooth looking game, but it's all about immersion, and its those little details which cut the frame rate, but add to the realism. Also, there was this titbit earlier on today which may help you understand the pCARS process a little more:

Neil Brett
Just out of curiosity though how do you go about porting the game to console?
Scott Goffey
The Madness engine is designed so that (in essence) it spits out all platforms when you create a build. So it's not a "port" per se.

Guys, everybody would prefer 60fps, but SMS said its not gonna happen on these stone old consoles with night racing, real time lighting, realistic weather plus far more advanced physics than GT and FM. And you might call that understandable.

My system isn't great (q6600 with a GTX460) but it 'was' running this game perfectly ok (dx11) with a good graphical level until the last couple of builds.

Now I've been reduced to some of the circuits loading up in wireframe (Connecticut Hill GP for example) and flick-book frame rates. Some circuits seem fine, others are a disaster.

Anyone else had this problem?

mekonrider
My system isn't great (q6600 with a GTX460) but it 'was' running this game perfectly ok (dx11) with a good graphical level until the last couple of builds.

Now I've been reduced to some of the circuits loading up in wireframe (Connecticut Hill GP for example) and flick-book frame rates. Some circuits seem fine, others are a disaster.

Anyone else had this problem?

Wireframe? As in you see tessellation grids? For that I would reinstall pCARS, test, if fail reinstall Nvidia drivers.

Everything else... the more they add into the game the slower your frame rate is going to be. Especially with older hardware that is bandwidth and memory limited. I don't know how they're going about coding processes for different caches but I am assuming any optimizations like that are not immediately implemented in each build.

You'll get much more help on the WMD forum though, since developers can answer your question directly.

Anyone here on GTP make liveries for pCARS? Remember Ravenwest from GRID , can we get that for the Zonda R, A4 or BMW Z4 ???

race-driver-grid-20080213053328539-000.jpg

F1 2011 vs Project CARS (Build 277) // Who Wins?

Personally, and being a pre-Alpha: pCARS wins!

-------------------------
- F1 2011 ( Codemasters)
- Red Bull RB7 @ Circuit de Catalunya
- Project CARS by Slightly Mad Studios ( SMS )
- Formula A @ Circuit de Catalunya (preAlpha / Build 277)
- Ultra High Game Settings ( DX11 )

Visually it's already way ahead, particularly with lighting. The physics still need some work on pCARS though and of course SMS know that, it's not close to being finished.

Yep,I'd have to agree with you adrian,but what about the sound which is which?

Look at the speaker image above each video, it changes from a X to a tick to show which is which.

Visually it's already way ahead, particularly with lighting. The physics still need some work on pCARS though and of course SMS know that, it's not close to being finished.

Look at the speaker image above each video, it changes from a X to a tick to show which is which.

Thanks very much.
Why do both cars sound different,which is most accurate?
As far as graphics go,Pcars is superb on PC but how much graphical quality will be compromised for console versions in percentage terms?

Nice video, Visually pCARS looks better than F1 2011 other than the pCARS version missing a few set pieces on track and not having the official sponsor logos :indiff:.

I guess after watching that I think maybe the Formula A needs more of a high pitch 18,000 RPM scream - maybe??. Also the the steering rate in pCARS maybe too low, and F1 2011 maybe too high.

Looking forward to more comparison videos like this one. 👍

The reason why pCARS is missing the sponsors and bridges etc, is because they don't have the full official licenses. When those licenses come, it will be sorted out.

Back