[PS3]The Last of Us

• Thread starter gtone339
  • 1,504 comments
Been playing through this again, and when I got to the part where they leave UEC, I switched over to the Left Behind DLC. Played through that, and going back to the main story. Ties together nicely.

Remastered screenshots.
1405516697-6.jpg 1405516728-1.jpg 1405516730-3.jpg 1405516739-5.jpg

Thing I never quite understood with "remastered" things:

The 3D models themselves haven't seen dramatic improvement. So even if you improved video output, lighting and rendering, you still have the same 3D models that still don't look fully realistic. It looks better, but enough for me to buy another copy? Nah.

I mean of course, people who've never owned a copy of the PS3 version can cop this without question. But those who like to own both. I don't know.

Last edited:
It makes sense for people who didn't have the PS3 version. But if you have the PS3 version and buy this.... I don't even..... Greedy ND being greedy. It's like they're trying their best to become a crap company.

People spending more money on the smallest graphical upgrade ever...

Looks like some sort of sharpening filter on those screens, a tad overdone.

News is a photomode is coming to TLOU remaster via a day 1 patch

Last edited:
Looks like some sort of sharpening filter on those screens, a tad overdone.

News is a photomode is coming to TLOU remaster via a day 1 patch
That should be great news for all the virtual photographers out there. The Last of US sure does have some pretty views people will be all over.

Maybe I'm just not seeing it but it still doesn't look that much better than the original TLOU, maybe it's just because it was so stunning.

Also, good to hear they had an attempt at a 60FPS frame-rate, not locked though.

I'll be buying this on PS4 as I really enjoyed it on PS3. I never bought the DLC that was released so the PS4 version has all that and I'm getting it for £9 I'm not complaining. Plus there's more trophies for me to get.

Word from ND is that the optional 30fps lock is not due to performance/variable frame rate, but ease and fan request. Gamers will find out soon enough though.

Locked frame rates would be hilarious because my console has never struggled to keep up with any game I've ever put into it other than this. I've had several glitches happen when I went through speed runs just because certain things didn't load properly...

...like how that door that sets off Bill's trap went missing completely one time. :lol:

There's a difference between upgrading your hardware, and double dipping to get the nearly exact same game.
Not really, if you are buying better hardware to see the same game with more wow to the images, then the money goes to the graphics card manufacturer. The only difference here is ND get some of that profit, as well as Sony. To the end user, the result is the same.

My brother-in-law has umpteen versions of Blade Runner and in some cases the only difference is a bit of packaging and a few more minutes footage. He still paid for each copy, so whose is the fault, the studio for making something available for those who want it, or the consumer for buying what he wants?

I'm sorry if I am seeing this wrong, but I get the impression that you see the situation as 'the evil corp ND' on a quest for everyones' loot. Personally, I agree with the comment by Sony that the game has been made available for the surprising number of people who did not play it on the PS3 - and for any collectors out there. For the rest of us, it's an optional thing - no one is forcing anything.

MeanElf

Upgrading a PC is like buying a new generation console. You do it not just for the graphical upgrade, but also to be able to actually play new games. TLoU came out little more than a year ago. It's utterly ridicules to release a barely changed version that required little to no work at full price. It's greedy.

It's just one of many things ND has done in the past year that clearly indicates a shift from being a brilliant company, to being a greedy one, aimed at milking as much as they possibly can. Like selling dificulty modes as DLC's and releasing the "remastered" version, which is hardly different form the original. If anything, the "remastered" version simply has less compression.

MeanElf

Upgrading a PC is like buying a new generation console. You do it not just for the graphical upgrade, but also to be able to actually play new games. TLoU came out little more than a year ago. It's utterly ridicules to release a barely changed version that required little to no work at full price. It's greedy.

It's just one of many things ND has done in the past year that clearly indicates a shift from being a brilliant company, to being a greedy one, aimed at milking as much as they possibly can. Like selling dificulty modes as DLC's and releasing the "remastered" version, which is hardly different form the original. If anything, the "remastered" version simply has less compression.

Nope.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/16/5723830/last-of-us-ps4-port-hell

The game is also releasing at $50, so not full price.

Nope.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/16/5723830/last-of-us-ps4-port-hell

The game is also releasing at $50, so not full price.

If they wasted that much time and effort on a product that in the end looks almost identical to the original, then their idiots. And the difference between 50 and 60 dollars is mute as far as I'm concerned. It's still way overpriced, considering the game came out a year ago. Not like ND didn't make a small fortune on it...

If they wasted that much time and effort on a product that in the end looks almost identical to the original, then their idiots. And the difference between 50 and 60 dollars is mute as far as I'm concerned. It's still way overpriced, considering the game came out a year ago. Not like ND didn't make a small fortune on it...

Well which is it? Are they lazy or are they idiots? Or are they lazy idiots?

You've played The Last of Us on the PlayStation 3, yes? Could it be possible that you aren't the target for this game? I have many friends who never picked up a PlayStation 3 but they did pick up a PS4 and The Last of Us is one of the games they wish they could've played. Now they can spend $50 (you say the price difference is mute, but you clearly claimed it is full price when it isn't) and get one of the best games of the last generation built for the current generation system. If you don't like it then don't buy it again, I don't see a reason to be upset at all. Clearly Naughty Dog put a lot of work in the remastered version, but I guess they can't win either way. To you they are either lazy or they're idiots. Thankfully to everyone else they are still regarded as one of the best developers in the industry.

Well which is it? Are they lazy or are they idiots? Or are they lazy idiots?

You've played The Last of Us on the PlayStation 3, yes? Could it be possible that you aren't the target for this game? I have many friends who never picked up a PlayStation 3 but they did pick up a PS4 and The Last of Us is one of the games they wish they could've played. Now they can spend $50 (you say the price difference is mute, but you clearly claimed it is full price when it isn't) and get one of the best games of the last generation built for the current generation system. If you don't like it then don't buy it again, I don't see a reason to be upset at all. Clearly Naughty Dog put a lot of work in the remastered version, but I guess they can't win either way. To you they are either lazy or they're idiots. Thankfully to everyone else they are still regarded as one of the best developers in the industry.

That depends. If they actually did spend a lot of time and effort in making it. They're idiots. However, it could just be pure marketing talk. Personally, I don't believe it took as much work as they're letting on.

I was mistaken on the price when I said full price. True. My point in the last post was that 50 dollars is still a ridicules price for a game that isn't new. Yes, I own it on the PS3. And I consider it one of the best games I've ever played. But I'm against "milking" a game by releasing a "remastered" version a year later. Primarily 'cause the time and money could have gone into a new and equally good game. If people want to play the game, they can get themselves a PS3. ND shouldn't, in my opinion, waste time on catering to people who couldn't play it because they didn't own a PS3. Their time would be better spend invested in new products.

Trophy list is exactly the same as it was on PS3 with few exceptions.

1. To platinum you don't have to obtain those trophies from DLC
  2. Silver trophies for down / execute 3 enemies and survive match without dying were now changed. (was extremly hard)
  3. You have to now down or execute 5 enemies and you CAN DIE now during matches on 8 DLC maps.
This will come naturally as you progress through 24 weeks in both Factions.

There are other minor tweeks in multiplayer, like quicker matchmaking.
And you start with 9 load-out points instead 8, and reaching maximum 13 points would be quicker too.

...I consider it one of the best games I've ever played. But I'm against "milking" a game by releasing a "remastered" version a year later. Primarily 'cause the time and money could have gone into a new and equally good game. If people want to play the game, they can get themselves a PS3. ND shouldn't, in my opinion, waste time on catering to people who couldn't play it because they didn't own a PS3. Their time would be better spend invested in new products.
I know that the PS4 hasn't sold a large number of consoles in Japan presently, due to a number of console gamers either staying with the PS2 or moving onto PC. This release is also aimed at getting those players who have skipped a generation back - and that's a Sony decision...

Like peobryant suggests though, the release probably wasn't aimed at you and it certainly isn't hurting you in any way. ND have two teams presently and a game doesn't get churned out in just a year anymore, well, not the high-end ones; so you haven't lost out on a new game either...so relax.

And by the way, I'm guessing as you are flying the Danish flag that English isn't your first language. That's no problem, but for future reference the word is 'moot' not mute, stemming from Moot, being an annual gathering of tribe elders who decided things for the community. A moot-point is something taken for granted as accepted.

Like peobryant suggests though, the release probably wasn't aimed at you and it certainly isn't hurting you in any way. ND have two teams presently and a game doesn't get churned out in just a year anymore, well, not the high-end ones; so you haven't lost out on a new game either...so relax.

Had they not worked on the remastered version of TLoU, it goes without saying that they would've worked on something else. You can't put time into one project, without taking time away from another.

And by the way, I'm guessing as you are flying the Danish flag that English isn't your first language. That's no problem, but for future reference the word is 'moot' not mute, stemming from Moot, being an annual gathering of tribe elders who decided things for the community. A moot-point is something taken for granted as accepted.

Cheers. Corrections to my English is more than welcome as long as it is done in a respectful manner. 👍

...Cheers. Corrections to my English is more than welcome as long as it is done in a respectful manner. 👍
No worries and I'm glad I was able to help there. I remembered how it was when I was learning Dutch, after a certain point, the occasional pointers went a long way to helping me understand more fully.

Back