PSN Servers down?

• Thread starter Ki_Reddy
  • 229 comments
Good thing I wasn't planning on logging in today anyways! :D

There was notice for maintenance for the last 3 days (I know this because I needed to switch my main PS4 device, and thus needed to contact CS).

No DDoS attack, just normal schedule maintenance. Or DDoS attack if reading it as that makes the whole thing more interesting, if not false.

The maintinence is tomorrow.

Yeah, I just got bumped while I was watching Arrow on Netflix. Thankfully, since it is in front of the PSN wall, I was able to finish the episode.

If a gun was pointed to your head, do you think that the maintenance was so that they could get the servers ready to push out v2.0?

Yeah, I just got bumped while I was watching Arrow on Netflix. Thankfully, since it is in front of the PSN wall, I was able to finish the episode.

If a gun was pointed to your head, do you think that the maintenance was so that they could get the servers ready to push out v2.0?
I think the maintence is to prepare the servers as much as they can for future updates. I'm guessing 2.0 and beyond.

In hindsight, it was a good idea for me to get my sign in bonus for GT6 just after midnight. :D

I still don't understand why people still pull stunts like this. I mean big whoop, you put the servers offline, your family must be so proud. :rolleyes:

I'm not up to date with online laws but isn't a Denial of service attack from a legal standpoint quite a major offence?

I'm not up to date with online laws but isn't a Denial of service attack from a legal standpoint quite a major offence?

From Wiki,

"In the Police and Justice Act 2006, the United Kingdom specifically outlawed denial-of-service attacks and set a maximum penalty of 10 years in prison.

In the US, denial-of-service attacks may be considered a federal crime under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act with penalties that include years of imprisonment. Many other countries have similar laws"

The answer to your question is, yes it is.

Last edited:
I logged in fine earlier but then I was abruptly logged out. So I tried logging in again and was immediately logged out once more.
Then I got an epiphany, I would try holding an orange in one hand, balancing on one leg while at the same time watering my plants and correcting the satellite dish all simultaneously with logging in to PSN....hold on...I'm going to give it a go...

Well, just tried it. No luck

I logged in fine earlier but then I was abruptly logged out. So I tried logging in again and was immediately logged out once more.
Then I got an epiphany, I would try holding an orange in one hand, balancing on one leg while at the same time watering my plants and correcting the satellite dish all simultaneously with logging in to PSN....hold on...I'm going to give it a go...

Well, just tried it. No luck
Servers are offline, you can't log in right now at all.

There was notice for maintenance for the last 3 days (I know this because I needed to switch my main PS4 device, and thus needed to contact CS).

No DDoS attack, just normal schedule maintenance. Or DDoS attack if reading it as that makes the whole thing more interesting, if not false.
Well, they are talking DDoS over at Reddit, so I think the attack is real...

...SO, bye bye all Sony products. PC gaming it is for the next 2-3 months. (cus that is how long it took last time to get psn working again - here anyways)
Not the same type of attack - that one was a full-on hack.

Last edited:
So...somebody mad about the server maintenance not bringing about Zahara de la Sierra? :lol:

Distributed Denial of Service Attacks
Sometimes a cracker uses anetwork of zombie computers to sabotage a specific Web site or server. The idea is pretty simple -- a cracker tells all the computers on his botnet to contact a specific server or Web site repeatedly. The sudden increase in traffic can cause the site to load very slowly for legitimate users. Sometimes the traffic is enough to shut the site down completely. We call this kind of an attack a Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attack.

zombie-computer-3d.jpg

Thanks much Kiwi for sharing this information,, didn't know any of this. Anyway, for anyone still trying to get to PSN and GT6,, they're still down at 1300 Pacific Time in the US. Check this link for status and save yourselves the frustration of waiting for your PS to fire up only to be disconnected almost immediately: https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/237

I couldn't even log into PSN earlier. Just few minutes ago, I was able to log in & I am watching a ball game on MLB right now.

I have no use for hackers & modders. Worthless ####s.

Do you want my opinion? ... No.

Not sure if anyone has seen, but the people who are probably responsible for the PSN outage have sent a threat about the flight the president of Sony Online Entertainment is on. It has since been redirected. Whoever this "Lizard Squad" is needs to be shut down!

So, Not sure if this is related. Tried all day to get online, Finally able to sign in and now when I try to join any of my friends lobbies it pops up 844 and that I have Network Incompatibility.

I raced with him yesterday and had no problem.

You're not getting it, somebody debilerately taking down a portion of the internet is a crime and then he decides to bring up PD and pretending he's the guy who make decisions there

There are parts of the internet that are "serious business", and other parts that are not, like GTP

Shutting down people's livestreams, online services, and making bomb threats? Seriously? These innocent people never did anything to you. Leave them alone and get a life.

If I ever stoop to this level just for entertainment, someone please bring me out to pasture and shoot me.

According to a few other articles, Xbox live DID get hit too although it's been mostly sorted out by now.

Also apparently this wasn't all LS's doing, they are just taking credit for someone else's work and their message is to Sony saying, "end the greed".

I still can't see his/their ultimate goal though.

If it's purely for entertainment or attention, then the fun will be short lived and the attention would be of the law enforcement kind.

If it's to try and say, "stop being greedy company's" then the message is about as effective as a handkerchief at an oil spill.

Back