Quick question about bans

• Thread starter Aphelion
  • 88 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
One flaw: Just because multiple accounts comes from one ISP doesnt mean it is USED by one person alone.

It could be Father and Son's or His friends accounts, you never know.
That's not why I showed this. Mods are not stupid. They can tell from the posting style if it is the same person or not, whom has multiple accounts.

Last edited:
One flaw: Just because multiple accounts comes from one IP doesnt mean it is USED by one person alone.

It could be Father and Son's or His friends accounts, you never know.
And, yes, we know that, which is why IP is only one of the methods that we use, and it is very rarely the only reason.

What about users that have been banned and came back without any of the mods noticing? There has to be several of them here flying under the radar for quite some time.

Only the mods could answer that, obviously, but my generalised guess would be that if you came back with a flamethrower you'd be investigated/outed quickly. If you kept your head down and played nice it's possible that the mods of any given forum might give you enough rope to either hang yourself or graze.

Creating a secondary account after being banned is called making a "sockpuppet." Don't. As staff can track the IP address of each account, it's just not possible to get away with a sockpuppet. If I remember correctly, trying to sign up/sign in with Tor is automatically rejected as well. If you are banned, wait it out. If you are permabanned, then you're done and should just go away.

Creating a secondary account after being banned is called making a "sockpuppet." Don't. As staff can track the IP address of each account, it's just not possible to get away with a sockpuppet. If I remember correctly, trying to sign up/sign in with Tor is automatically rejected as well. If you are banned, wait it out. If you are permabanned, then you're done and should just go away.

Refer to:

If a RBM uses the same e-mail, yes. If not, then they can register. If they arouse suspicion, they're tagged, investigated and likely banned again.

If they play nice and don't (hint hint) *wink *wink drop suggestions to other members that they are a RBM, they can fly under the radar.

-

And what, pray tell, would we be compensating for? We've given dozens of members hundreds of "last chances" to reform after they've received infractions and even temp bans.

Note: written by a moderator.

According to niky, it is in fact possible to create a 'sockpuppet' without being noticed, you just have to be careful. And i mean if the returning person never causes a fuss, there shouldn't be a problem!

Refer to:

Note: written by a moderator.

According to niky, it is in fact possible to create a 'sockpuppet' without being noticed, you just have to be careful. And i mean if the returning person never causes a fuss, there shouldn't be a problem!

It is possible, but you have to stay deep below the radar, and bring with you a new personality. I have past experiences with creating sockpuppets on forums I've been on a few years ago. It's not easy to pull off, and I imagine with the intelligent staff here it requires a mastermind.

There's one sure fire way to find out everything you wish to know about bans on GTP, aside from asking a mod which is a wise move, and it also provides one of the funniest reads on the internet! I am of course referring to the comedy laden Banned User Log

If it's on that list then don't do it, entry level stuff really!
As far as second accounts go it's pretty simple, read the AUP and abide by it and you won't need to enter the world of sockpuppets or feel the weight of the numerous GTP banhammers crushing your virtual skull :D

I'm pretty sure that the normal amount. 30 points nets a ban IIRC so it's 'three strikes, you're out'.

I'm pretty sure that the normal amount. 30 points nets a ban IIRC so it's 'three strikes, you're out'.
Or one incredibly big strike :eek::embarrassed:

I've been riding the line at 29 for a while. That was a reality check.

Slightly off-topic, is 10 Warning Points a lot to receive for one Warning?

Well, uh, jokes aside... I think 10 warning points for an infraction is the maximum number. I got busted by Jordan just today for multiple accounts/trolling (don't ask) and received 10 warning points, which were permanent. From past experiences, it seems 5 warning points is the conventional amount.

I've had 10 Warning Points once. This and my bad grammar warning when I first signed up made me a bit afraid of what a mod is capable off so I try not to push the limits of the AUP.

Think of 10 as 1 Strike.

I'd prefer getting shot by the sheriff and live to tell the tale to my kids than go home with nothing. Warning points do tell you that the mods here really don't tolerate derogatory actions around here, and getting some teaches a lot if you open your heart to repent.

On a side note, SPD doesn't promote receiving warning points, as they are in no way a method to get you saying 'swag' or 'yolo' or something of the sort. WARNING POINTS ARE ONLY BRAGGING RIGHTS IF YOU ARE A SQUIDWARD.

The maximum number of warning points you can get is infinite... Even if it doesn't rally matter after thirty.

Okay, not really, but it has a lot of 9's. Most of the time, we will give 0 to 5 points for a minor offense. This serves merely as a formality. Like a parking ticket. If you're being rather frisky and combative, or are a repeat offender, we hand out 10s. 10 means we are trying to make a point.

If we think you haven't done enough to be banned, but need a really stern warning, we'll give you enough to bring you up to 29 points. Realistically, there's no difference between 20, 25 and 29... but 29 is more obviously last chance. On the bright side, this means we don't want to ban you. On the other hand, it means we will if we have to.

If you're a total arse, however, you can get a straight 30 point infraction. And if you're beyond that, 35. I've given a few of those. I think the record is around 100 points. If I recall right, every one of those points was deserved.

The maximum number of warning points you can get is infinite... Even if it doesn't rally matter after thirty.

Okay, not really, but it has a lot of 9's. Most of the time, we will give 0 to 5 points for a minor offense. This serves merely as a formality. Like a parking ticket. If you're being rather frisky and combative, or are a repeat offender, we hand out 10s. 10 means we are trying to make a point.

If we think you haven't done enough to be banned, but need a really stern warning, we'll give you enough to bring you up to 29 points. Realistically, there's no difference between 20, 25 and 29... but 29 is more obviously last chance. On the bright side, this means we don't want to ban you. On the other hand, it means we will if we have to.

If you're a total arse, however, you can get a straight 30 point infraction. And if you're beyond that, 35. I've given a few of those. I think the record is around 100 points. If I recall right, every one of those points was deserved.

It also matters if the warning points are temporary or permanent.

A 100 point infraction? How did that happen?

Fair enough. I'll just assume the person was a "total arse". Something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back