R.I.P Realistic Online Physics (actually, it's not a bad thing)

• Thread starter VBR
  • 114 comments

VBR

Meme Dissident in Exile...
Premium
England
Yorkshire
ScapeGoat4U
WhippingBoy
This thread was made as a knee jerk reaction after hearing the news that PD have: "Fixed an issue where the online control characteristics differed from the offline characteristics." This led me to believe that the online physics were "an issue" that was fixed by making them the same as the offline physics. But this is not what has happened! After much testing, it's becoming clear that there's a new uniform physics model that has replaced them both, a better physics model in my opinion.

Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to mourn the passing away of the Realistic Online Physics in GT5. They were killed by Polyphony Digital because; as it turns out they were just "an issue", a mere bug to be squashed at will under their collective feet. The irony is of course, that the online physics were more realistic than the offline (see the video), which says a lot about "The Real Driving Simulator" & those who make it.

This thread is a place for those of us who loved the online physics & wish to express our sadness at their passing. It is not a place for those who prefer the offline physics to come & start arguments, so please respect that. Thank you.

EDIT: It's not as bad as I was first led to imagine! See this post.

Last edited:
Well I never quite understand why they made two sets of physics. I have no problems with the offline physics, but I'm gonna mis the more tricky, more concentration required online physics.

I always wondered which physics was the best.

Kaz giveth and he taketh away.

Funny that after two years, they decide to suddenly take action over a huge inconsistency. PD is disorganized when it comes to updates. There shouldn't have been two different physic models in the first place.

Funny that after two years, they decide to suddenly take action over a huge inconsistency. PD is disorganized when it comes to updates. There shouldn't have been two different physic models in the first place.

Hate to sound like Debbie Downer but I agree with this and the OP but I'll bet we're in the tiny minority as most people would prefer the safety and predicatability of offline physics. On the oversteery beasts it means that you need less radical tuning to get the car closer to neutral but on the cars that naturally understeer it means radical front end lifts and huge rear ballast tunes to get the cars to rotate. A lot of FF's and 4WD's will now look as if they are about to pop a wheelie if tuned for online gameplay.

Nah, offline physics were more predictable and probably more realistic too in my opinion. Hated the snap in Foxhole at Nurburgring. Subarus are more understeery in dry conditions in real life rather than oversteery. I'm of course talking about stock suspension settings. If you want, tune the car to your preferences.

Added video for 22b:

For oversteer it seems like you should snap the car into the corner. There is no power oversteer on the exit because of 4WD.

What tyres is the guy in this video on?

You do realise that Comfort Softs are this games 'Road Tyre'.

Sports hards are for things like supercars such as the LFA or the 458.

Racing Hards are like pure slicks AFAIK

+ yeah four wheel drive's aren't supposed to slide out of a mid corner power over like that... You've been watching too much top gear.

You do realise that Comfort Softs are this games 'Road Tyre'.
Sports hards are for things like supercars such as the LFA or the 458.
Racing Hards are like pure slicks AFAIK

This.

It should be cross-tested much more before further conclusions.

You ham-fist the throttle on a "normal" AWD car in a corner and it should plow like a dump truck compared to a regular car.

It's the one in the online portion that is driving around like it is on a gravel track that looks wrong to me.

This.

It should be cross-tested much more before further conclusions.

Plus real life grip differs with each car. For example the appropriate tires for the f1 2007 are comfort softs, not sports even less so racing soft.

In most cases I find a lower tire represents cars better, such as comfort softs to comfort meds, and I haven't found one in which racing hard or higher is "realistic". All aids off obviously, including abs.

You ham-fist the throttle on a "normal" AWD car in a corner and it should plow like a dump truck compared to a regular car.

It's the one in the online portion that is driving around like it is on a gravel track that looks wrong to me.

Both true, but the issue for me lies with what you have to do to get that fully tuned, bulldozing 4wd to actually rotate comfortably with offline physics. I remember in the Shulze TT for example I was running +60/0 in ride height and still couldn't get the back end loose and I believe that was on SS tires. The fact that the nose is up and not down is one thing, but you should be able to get cars to do radical things with radical tuning otherwise, if there are no diminishing returns when it comes to tuning, what's the point of tuning?

It depends on your tires as well.
I was driving around online tonight and I found the physics to be much more spot on than they have been in previous builds.

I've never known a WRX to swing it's tail so wildly on tarmac unless it has literally no tread.. it's behaving more like a RWD car in the online video..

Yeah it may be more 'fun', but if you want that kind of driving go get in a RWD.. o.o

But you're entitled to your opinion and I'm not going to argue the point with you, despite the message in the OP I feel this needs a counter argument from an external point of view, if you disagree you can easily ignore me, I merely felt it needed to be said.

What tyres is the guy in this video on?

It was me, and it was run using full racing soft tyres. It was for the purpose of showing the massive difference between the physics models, and not to determine which was more realistic.
Which was more fun, on the otherhand was clear to see.

I might also add that the video, and the full test and tune were all put together over a year ago, and I've now tuned out the great majority of the offline understeer and the whole thing is more balanced. (Not forgetting all the updates that have subsequently happened) Another thing worth noting is that both runs were performed with SRF switched on, believe it or not! (Another thing I no longer use)

Personally, I had no problems with either set, but rather disliked the fact that there were two different models in the first place. At least now there is one thing that the entire GT5 model has been rather lacking - Consistency

Last edited:
Well, after all afternoon testing, I have some good news to report!

The online physics are most certainly different, but not actually too much worse, let me explain. There is slightly less oversteer, only a little, & there is slightly more understeer, again only a little. Practice mode now feels exactly the same as My Lounge/online Lobby.

Also, the offline physics feel slightly different too, but in reverse. There's slightly more oversteer, & slightly less understeer. What I think they've done is to meet offline & online physics in the middle, & I have to admit to my supprise that they both feel ok now. I can put in pretty much the exact same times in Practice Mode & Online that I could before the update in only Online mode. The back end tends to kick out in 2nd gear a little aswell with ABS on 1, it used to only do this with ABS 0.

I will miss the really oversteery online physics prior to 2.09, but it's not as much as a game killer as I was fearing.

Last edited:
Personally, I had no problems with either set, but rather disliked the fact that there were two different models in the first place. At least now there is one thing that the entire GT5 model has been rather lacking - Consistency

I agree with this. Now, I can create my tunes offline and use the ghost. It seemed like a hassle to start up my lounge every time I wanted to test something.

👍

I've never known a WRX to swing it's tail so wildly on tarmac unless it has literally no tread.. it's behaving more like a RWD car in the online video.

Really?

:P

He's also on a dirty slippy road. Never driven a 22B so have no idea which is more realistic. I have driven an RB5 and I drove it hard. It was very hard to get the back out now matter how much grief I gave it. It just wanted to grip with a little bit of understeer. Thats it. There is no way I could have done a powerslide in it.

Is this guy using the handbrake too?

I performed my own test for online vs offline physics aswell, not too long ago. I used a stock Caterham on Sports Hard tyres with all aids off except ABS on 1. On Suzuka East in Practice Mode the car was practically glued to the road, even steering wildy in corners to shake the rear end loose had no effect. Then with the exact same settings in My Lounge online, the car came alive & was oversteering pretty much as you would expect it would IRL. There was a huge difference before 2.09, especially with certain cars.

VBR
Is this guy using the handbrake too?

I performed my own test for online vs offline physics aswell, not too long ago. I used a stock Caterham on Sports Hard tyres with all aids off except ABS on 1. On Suzuka East in Practice Mode the car was practically glued to the road, even steering wildy in corners to shake the rear end loose had no effect. Then with the exact same settings in My Lounge online, the car came alive & was oversteering pretty much as you would expect it would IRL. There was a huge difference before 2.09, especially with certain cars.

He is using a scandanavian flick to get the oversteer. You can see the car struggle to lose grip on his first movement, requiring him to use a flick to get that much oversteer.

Can someone please confirm if it is possible to flip your car online now? I can't be home for a few hours :(

I believe you still cannot flip. I believe it goes upto about 45 degrees from the testing I have seen after the latest patch. happy to be corrected.

It's hilarious how many people are asking if the cars will flip now. GT5, The real circus simulator.

With the new 2.09 physics, is it possible to induce oversteer on AWD cars like Nissan GTR on comfort or sports hard tires both online and offline ? I am talking about this kind of oversteer :

Skip to 37:45 for the GTR drive by Tsuchiya :D He is trying to drift it, and no he did not use handbrake.

I am not that often drive the R35 GTR online, but I as far as I remember it has a bit of understeer on turn in and I don't think it can be provoked into oversteer easily like in real life as shown by Tsuchiya in the video.

Back