RACING: Race Cars and Base Models | Photo Thread

• Thread starter HKS racer
  • 135 comments
Ayrton Senna I can understand, Mario Andretti not at all...! Other race drivers who have actually died doing what they love are far more deserving!
I was going to ask you the about paint color on the Camaro (then I saw it was answered), but now I have to strongly object to this statement. @ildd is right, Mario Andretti is a driver who fully deserved to get honored. Do you think everyone who raced back then didn't know that there was a legitimate chance of death? No, they all knew the risks and carried them equally. Just because Mario didn't die doesn't he shouldn't be honored, cus they went through a lot more hell back in Mario's days than they did in the late 80's early 90's. The cars were far more dangerous and safety wasn't even a thought on the minds of the sanctioning bodies. You don't think all the deaths in the sport that Mario went through was worth anything at all? Mario's world championship, which should have been one of the greatest times of his life, couldn't even be enjoyed or celebrated because of the death of teammate and close personal friend Ronnie Peterson in the final race of the year. To say that Mario doesn't at all deserve to be acknowledged is a stupid thing to say. Mario had a tougher road to get into racing than anyone else and he's the greatest racing driver the world has seen thus far. He very well deserved it and if you knew you're stuff you would know that. In fact I would like to see Mario honored with the same type of content as Senna got, we already got the equivalent to the kart.

I was going to ask you the about paint color on the Camaro (then I saw it was answered), but now I have to strongly object to this statement. @ildd is right, Mario Andretti is a driver who fully deserved to get honored. Do you think everyone who raced back then didn't know that there was a legitimate chance of death? No, they all knew the risks and carried them equally. Just because Mario didn't die doesn't he shouldn't be honored, cus they went through a lot more hell back in Mario's days than they did in the late 80's early 90's. The cars were far more dangerous and safety wasn't even a thought on the minds of the sanctioning bodies. You don't think all the deaths in the sport that Mario went through was worth anything at all? Mario's world championship, which should have been one of the greatest times of his life, couldn't even be enjoyed or celebrated because of the death of teammate and close personal friend Ronnie Peterson in the final race of the year. To say that Mario doesn't at all deserve to be acknowledged is a stupid thing to say. Mario had a tougher road to get into racing than anyone else and he's the greatest racing driver the world has seen thus far. He very well deserved it and if you knew you're stuff you would know that. In fact I would like to see Mario honored with the same type of content as Senna got, we already got the equivalent to the kart.

I would, personally, like to see those that paid with their lives get honoured first! Sure, Mario Andretti went through a lot, but he still lives. He never was and never will be killed in a motorsport event! I'm not trying to take anything away from his achievements, he was a damn fine driver, but there are others who are far more deserving than him - Ronnie Peterson, as you mentioned, for example.

Others include the four I've already mentioned - Roland Ratzenberger, an F1 driver, Allan Simonsen, who drove at Le Mans and Bathurst, Peter Brock, who won at Bathurst NINE times and Bruce McLaren, who's name lives on with McLaren Motorsport and the car brand of the same name! I mentioned Ratzenberger only because he died the day before Senna, all the others have links to GT6 through either cars or tracks. McLaren, Bathurst, Circuit de la Sarthe and Goodwood (Bruce McLaren died at the Goodwood Circuit in 1970)! There are lots more but I couldn't stuffed looking up all the names...

So basically, what I'm talking about is driver's that leave behind a legacy, not those that are still kicking!

?
I would, personally, like to see those that paid with their lives get honoured first! Sure, Mario Andretti went through a lot, but he still lives. He never was and never will be killed in a motorsport event! I'm not trying to take anything away from his achievements, he was a damn fine driver, but there are others who are far more deserving than him - Ronnie Peterson, as you mentioned, for example.

Others include the four I've already mentioned - Roland Ratzenberger, an F1 driver, Allan Simonsen, who drove at Le Mans and Bathurst, Peter Brock, who won at Bathurst NINE times and Bruce McLaren, who's name lives on with McLaren Motorsport and the car brand of the same name! I mentioned Ratzenberger only because he died the day before Senna, all the others have links to GT6 through either cars or tracks. McLaren, Bathurst, Circuit de la Sarthe and Goodwood (Bruce McLaren died at the Goodwood Circuit in 1970)! There are lots more but I couldn't stuffed looking up all the names...

So basically, what I'm talking about is driver's that leave behind a legacy, not those that are still kicking!
You don't have to be gone to leave a legacy. He's the most successful driver across the board throughout multiple disciplines of motorsport. When people call Senna the greatest driver ever they are being a bit short sighted because of guys like Mario who don't bolster as many F1 stats because they were off racing other things. You could easily make the case for Senna being the greatest F1 driver, but across the board there was no other like Mario Andretti. His opinion today is regarded as perhaps the highest praise a driver or an event or a series can receive because he's raced and won in it all in a way that no other driver has. You don't think that might be something worth taking advantage of while he's still alive?

And what's Roland Ratzenberger's legacy? "The guy who died the day before Senna"? How is that a fair way to remember him? He needs to be Roland Ratzenberger, not that other guy who died the day before Ayrton Senna. It's completely wrong that people wish to remember him like that. He is Roland Ratzenberger, a young F1 driver who was attempting his 3rd F1 race and had he qualified would have been making his 2nd career start. He was not a pay driver and despite success coming through the ranks it made it difficult for him to break through into F1. That's who Roland Ratzenberg is and it's completely wrong to pair his memory with that of Ayrton Senna, yet everyone seems intent on damning his memory as such.

Yes I know who all the names are and you could pretty much tie any driver to tracks or cars in GT6, be it through triumph or tribulation. It is because I know the name that I wonder about the credibility of your references, mostly because you did not name Jim Clark. When they announced the Senna project Kaz said himself that the motivation was, "I thought he might end up being a figure like Jim Clark, and I thought the idea of someone like Ayrton Senna being half-forgotten, it’s just something I could not let go." The project isn't about recent deaths, and if they were Dan Wheldon would be the one holding importance over Alan Simonsen.

Anyways, this is a picture forum so here's one:

IndyPeelOutFinalEditSigned.jpg

Brands Hatch Grand Prix Circuit_3.jpg
Ribbet collage6.jpg

Willow Springs International Raceway_ Big Willow_4.jpg
Ribbet collage4.jpg

Gemasolar_1.jpg
Ribbet collage5.jpg

Syracuse_2.jpg
Ribbet collage7.jpg

Turner Motorsports BMW Z4 GT3 2014 Laguna Seca by Metalsun1, on Flickr

Surprise endings continue to happen. This time, at the Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, in the 3rd round of the 2014 TUDOR United SportsCar Championship in the GTD category. The #45 Flying Lizards Motorsports AUDI R8 LMS was set for a win starting from the pole position. After a 2nd yellow flag, 34 minutes into the 2 hour race, many teams came in for a driver change and a splash of fuel. A 3rd yellow flag opportunity never materialized. In a strategy move 1 hour into the race, the Turner Motorsport #94 pitted again for fuel, out of sequence, to take their car to the finish. The Flying Lizards’ pit strategy had the car skip the stop and continue on racing while conserving fuel. Then the surprise. In the last lap, above the “Corkscrew” turn, the #45 ran out of “fumes”. Eventually, giving way for the Turner Motorsport #94 BMW Z4 GT3 driven by Dane Cameron and Markus Palttala, who were 11 seconds behind from P10, to take their first checkered flag (fast forward to 1:38:00) of the 2014 season.
Update: After 8 races into the series the #555 AIM Autosport (now with a modified livery) still leads in in the GTD championship by 2 points.
Update 2: After reaching the checkered flag first at Watkins Glen, the Turner Motorsport #94 BMW Z4 GT3 became the 1st GTD team to repeat a win in the series. Now, they stand 4th in the championship.

Last edited:
Sauber Mercedes C9 1989 24 Hours of Le Mans by Metalsun1, on Flickr

Mercedes-Benz had retired from top tier racing since the tragic accident in the 1955 24 Hours of Le Mans. That’s until the privateer racing team Sauber, asked M-B in 1984 for some time in their new wind tunnel so they can develop their C8 race car. M-B’s involvement crept from there to engine supplier, then full factory support by 1988 with the C9. Among other improvements above the previous generation, the development of a 4-valve DOHC increased the power output to 720 bhp in race trim. The C9s were very dominant in the 1989 season, winning all but one race. During the 1989 24 Hours of Le Mans, the C9 reached 248.0 mph (400 km/h) during their qualifying sessions down the Mulsanne Straight. Eventually, the #63 Sauber Mercedes driven by Jochen Mass, Manuel Reuter and Stanley Dickens took the checkered flag in a 1st, 2nd, and 5th finish. By the next season, 2 new chicanes were installed in the track to slow the cars down.

Jaguar XJR-9 1988 24 Hours of Le Mans by Metalsun1, on Flickr

By the time the 1988 24 Hours of Le Mans came around again, Porsche was still a dominating force. If you were a privateer team and wanted to win this race, an obvious car to invest in and take to the race would be a Porsche 962. They had won for the last 7 years straight. The odds were stacked against the other teams. Tom Walkinshaw Racing (TWR) brought to the fight 5, factory supported Jaguar XJR-9s. A development of the XJR-8s, the XJR-9s had increased its horsepower to 750hp and aerodynamic efficiency by 15%, in part by re-installing the rear wheel covers, low rear spoiler and truncated bodywork. After 31 years, Jaguar without a win, Johnny Dumfries, Jan Lammers and Andy Wallace take the checkered flag in the Silk Cut sponsored #2 XJR-9, chassis number TWR-J12C-488, and saw Jaguar take the World Championship with wins in six out of 10 Group C races.

Nissan R89C 1989 24 Hours of Le Mans by Metalsun1, on Flickr

The R89C was the result of Nissan's effort to compete in the 1989 World Sportscar Championship season in the Group C category. The race car progressed from Nissan’s previous generation into a new Lola chassis and twin-turbo VRH35 engine, 3.5L V8 DOHC. Unfortunately, race tuning, reliability and track set-up was slowly being optimized and results suffered. The R89C, as a whole, was an unsuccessful race car for Nissan reaching its most prestigious position of 3rd place in both Donington Park and Spa Francorchaps. They never finished the 1989 24 hours of Le Mans due to engine failures and crashes, eventually finishing 5th in the 1989 championship. All wasn't for nothing and the lessons learned from the R89C were put to good use in the very successful future.

Last edited:
Peugeot 905 EVO 1B 1992 24 Hours of Le Mans by Metalsun1, on Flickr

In the 80’s, Peugeot had great success in Group B rally racing but after the elimination of the category they focused their efforts in Group C racing to win the World Sportscar Championship and Le Mans. By 1990 they were ready with the Peugeot 905, basically an F1 car in disguise. It had only one race win by the end of the 1990 season. For the next season a new car was engineered, the 905B, which finished 2nd in the 1991 WSC. Further development resulted in the 905 Evo 1B (depicted in this photo) and it had a very successful 1992 WSC season. It had won both the championship and for the first time, the 1992 24 Hours of Le Mans at the hands of Derek Warwick, Yannick Dalmas and Mark Blundell. Although the WSC ceased to exist at the end of the 1992 season, Group C cars were allowed for one last time to race in the 1993 24 hours of Le Mans. This time, Peugeot raced their 905 Evo 1B to a dominating 1-2-3 finish.

Back