Red Bull x2014 standard / Vettel Challenge ** now open**

• Thread starter will-i-am
  • 118 comments
You can just play through the series then practice the individual races as much as you want. It's not that bad.

That's what i resorted to. Its not that I'm a bad driver (gold 1st lap on the Stingray). It's more of a usability issue. PD could have had a few practice races before stuffing us right into the series. I guess I could have spent the money, bought the car, and run practice laps, but I see that as wasted money.

There are plenty of suggestions to have practice and qualifying before races. This is just another example where it would work great. It wouldn't be much effort (though more than than turning off the damn replay after a race) to add a practice in the main title bar for each race.

I'm struggling a bit to get enough speed in this car without overshooting corners at the worst possible times, so I might resort to the shortcuts just to give me some room to work with until I figure this damn car out. It's fun, but a definite challenge.

Make sure you choose Racing Soft Tires in the RB Standard Event. It helps a lot. For some reason the car is fitted with Racing Hards, but you are still able to select any other tire compound. The A.I is obviously using RS, so it's fair.

As for shortcuts, Vettel cuts the corners if you overtake him! Seriously, he went straight in the last chicane in Spa when I managed to overtake him at the back straight. And it seems I'm not the only one who has had Vettel cutting corners.

When a challenge becomes a chore, then it's not fun anymore. Thankfully these challenges are completely doable, so yes, they are kind of fun. It is an intense experience, but I don't think I'll go back to them again. I'll stay with the RB Jr. for grinding :D

It was quite a Breeze, the Standard Championship but then Suzuka Circuit (Oh My God) The last X Challenge race was bloody hell, Couldn't pass the first Corner until I changed settings and got gold on the 8th try

I honestly think the worst thing about the championship is the AI. If they aren't pulling out in front of you they're swerving into you. When they're not doing that they are clogging corners and blocking you. And then if that isn't enough suddenly they know how to dive bomb you and punt you out of a braking zone.

Apricot Hill was the only one I had real trouble with all because of the stupid a** AI. 🤬 U Bob.

Still I dont know how anyone could do this on a DS3 considering all the full throttled brake taps I had to do.

Vettle was surprisingly easier. Passed him on both Monza and Spa by about 8-10sec, almost caught him at Suzuka but biffed the spoon pretty badly on lap 2. Still I'll take the gold and be happy to walk away from them now :)

Finally got my 100% now to finish up the few remaining trophies for my first ever platinum.

I 🤬 hate Suzuka 🤬 whyyyyyyyyyy do I have to race this STUPID track UGH!!! I've got gold in everything else but this ding dang track in the Vettel challenge aaaargh .. I'm going to be stuck on silver forever I just know it grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :irked:

just had to get that out.. yeesh :lol: besides the frustration of driving these hyper arcade cars with a DS3 I do enjoy the sound of em.

It's not that difficult as GT5 alright, but I won't say it's easy.

For those who encountered difficulty in driving these 2 cars, here're some suggestions (other than those already mentioned):
  1. Turn off the TCS. Apply 1/3 - 1/2 throttle at start up, rear tires might spin a little, that's OK. If they're spinning too much (red hot and screaming), ease off a bit briefly. Once on proper rolling, it'd be fine using full throttle. This makes them start better than with TCS on. In the rest of time, it's perfectly OK without TCS. And I feel them more agile in low speed corner without TCS.
  2. You can do without ABS, but I suggest leave it at 1. You need additional attention to low speed corners without it. And those are busy moments already.
  3. Turn on the racing line indicator. No one is watching and laughing. If any, just ignore them.
  4. At where you thought you should use some brake (by instinct, racing line reminder, or experiences of other cars), just don't. A little lift off is enough, or give the brake a brief and light brush in mid turn. Then back on the gas quickly.
  5. At where you thought you should brake early in the straight, just don't. Hammer the brake until you turn-in, then back on the gas quickly.
  6. They can take full throttle in almost anywhere you thought impossible.
  7. They won't push wide at the speed you thought they would. Just give it more steering input and keep WOT.
  8. No mercy to the opponents. Find and keep your line, push them away.

These X-cars are just unreal. So don't treat them as real. Think of a dream, in which you're a superman.

Fast and exciting, yes. But eventually I myself find them not enjoyable. It's an aim and shoot arcade game, no fighting, no proper process, and no feels.

Just like X2010's in GT5, I think they would be left in the garage untouched, all the way to the end of game.

was curious what they made it look like, so if anybody cares there's an alien head under you lol

High Speed Ring.jpg
High Speed Ring_1.jpg

2:30.169... Suzukaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :mad::mad::mad::mad:

I want to quit but the turns are so fresh in my head, I know if I quit now and go to bed that tomorrow I'll be worse. ughh I can't take this! :crazy:

2:28.651 woooo baby.. so long Suzuka! UGH! I wish GT6 had the damage model from "Next Car Game", I'd give anything to watch this X2014 car get smashed into a million pieces! :mad:

I'm going to take a few slow laps around the Nurburgring in my pink '68 Fiat 500 and enjoy the beautiful German scenery and forget these hyper arcade cars were ever created..

Last edited:
The x challenge is crazy... this hat noting the do with real motorsport ...I want real cars !!!!! Or they should some Standard Cars in to premium ...I m not a fu*ing beta tester...GT was a real good Driving game but now ....

Happy it wasn't that hard. Golded all 8 events in ~1 hour....using a wheel and (yes sorry) AT...

Gonna say this quietly, but I really enjoyed all of these events... I won all of the standard races first time except for trial mountain, silly spin when leading on lap 2. Just read about changing tyres as well so I was using the racing hards. The Vettel challenge itself just took a couple of go's each and a tweak of the steering sensitivity from 3 to 4 so that my dear old DS3 could keep up with the direction changes. Beat each time comfortably, 3 seconds ahead at Monza and Spa, and 5 at Suzuka!!!

One of my first purchases in the game was the 1988 Senna outfit. Was funny watching Vettel congratulate Senna on becoming an up and coming driver!

Put it up to plus +2 I had to do that on the 1st race. quit restarted it killed the under steer and after the restart all gold

TBH it's not the understeer that is causing me issues...I am quite fine with dealing with understeer (I enjoy driving the Veyron which has huge amounts of understeer). My problem is through higher-ish speed corners.....the car is turning as I would expect and then the turning angle increase and I end up on the grass/sand on the inside of the corner and, to my mind, increasing the sensitivity would make this worse. I just don't have the reactions to do something like this so, for me, it will be forever unachieveable

TBH it's not the understeer that is causing me issues...I am quite fine with dealing with understeer (I enjoy driving the Veyron which has huge amounts of understeer). My problem is through higher-ish speed corners.....the car is turning as I would expect and then the turning angle increase and I end up on the grass/sand on the inside of the corner and, to my mind, increasing the sensitivity would make this worse. I just don't have the reactions to do something like this so, for me, it will be forever unachieveable

You might actually find turning it up helps, give it a go and see is the only way to know. I say that because it sounds like the cars steering angle is catching up to you part way through those corners. If you turn it up, you'll find you are steering the controller pad too much, and be able to know how much angle to input for a smooth line through the corner. I noticed the lag at +3, so I imagine trying to get used to +2 is where the issue rests.

Hi morph Personally I find that making it higher your able to have a lot less input on the stick on default it's slower which would be ok but it's also slower to correct turning in to much which means you need to correct again. But this how I interpret the car everyone's reactions are diffrent. I would honestly try if I was you nothing to lose. My style of driving well I think my style is smooth trying to make little inputs as possible.

I hope u do get it done morph its quite easy but what makes it harder if you jump from a regular car into a x car the speed diffrence will catch u out.

Peace out V

The races are too hard and the car has really bad understeer on low speed corners, I gave up after coming in last at apricot hill 32 seconds behind 1st place.

I can honestly agree with this on the Standard Championship. This problem with understeer when using the DS3 rears its ugly head right around Trial Mountain and gets at its peak with Apricot Hill O.o. That being said, I was able to silver the championship on first try, but it wasn't that easy. For my skill level, I liked the challenge and it was rather fun, but that understeer is a definite issue on the X2014 Standard.

What is also awesome about these championships is how much more visceral and intense they feel compared to anything else in GT. Maybe the sound has something to do with it? I am thinking so....and the AI seems to be a bit more unforgiving.

You might actually find turning it up helps, give it a go and see is the only way to know. I say that because it sounds like the cars steering angle is catching up to you part way through those corners. If you turn it up, you'll find you are steering the controller pad too much, and be able to know how much angle to input for a smooth line through the corner. I noticed the lag at +3, so I imagine trying to get used to +2 is where the issue rests.

Hi morph Personally I find that making it higher your able to have a lot less input on the stick on default it's slower which would be ok but it's also slower to correct turning in to much which means you need to correct again. But this how I interpret the car everyone's reactions are diffrent. I would honestly try if I was you nothing to lose. My style of driving well I think my style is smooth trying to make little inputs as possible.

I hope u do get it done morph its quite easy but what makes it harder if you jump from a regular car into a x car the speed diffrence will catch u out.

Peace out V

Thanks for the replies guys. I guess it's worth trying. I normally run the game on +7 as it gives greater response and turn in speeds, especially on cars with understeer but I had to change it down to -2 for the X2011 at Goodwood. Maybe basing it on Goodwood runs was not a good idea as it doesn't have long, high speed corners. I bought the X2011 earlier in the game so I may try running it in Arcade Time Trial to get used to the characteristics which I guess would help with the X Standard (I don't want to buy the X Standard if we get it as a prize as that would be a waste of 6M). Thanks again guys:tup:

Make sure you choose Racing Soft Tires in the RB Standard Event. It helps a lot. For some reason the car is fitted with Racing Hards, but you are still able to select any other tire compound. The A.I is obviously using RS, so it's fair.

As for shortcuts, Vettel cuts the corners if you overtake him! Seriously, he went straight in the last chicane in Spa when I managed to overtake him at the back straight. And it seems I'm not the only one who has had Vettel cutting corners.

When a challenge becomes a chore, then it's not fun anymore. Thankfully these challenges are completely doable, so yes, they are kind of fun. It is an intense experience, but I don't think I'll go back to them again. I'll stay with the RB Jr. for grinding :D

I tried a couple of races last night with the racing sorts on, and holy **** it really made a huge difference. Like night and day. Even when I made mistakes here and there I was actually able to catch up and overtake.

@pezzarinho17 and @vasiliflame : Thank you once again for the advice re: controller sensitivity. I tried again tonight, set the sensitivity to 7 and won each race individually first or second time and won the championship first go with 5 wins...admittedly I used every shortcut there is but I could have still won without using them. Now I realise the corner issues were because I was having to keep full lock on to turn it whereas, with the higher sensitivity, you can relax on the turning input. Thanks again, most appreciated:)

Thanks to the tips from @LS Chiou some time with a bit of paint swapping and kerb jumping (ahem) I managed to win the X2014 championship then go back and gold the rest. All using a DS3. Can't say it was hugely enjoyable, but OK. Have silver on Monza/Spa Vettel TT and bronze on Suzuka. The wheel is going to have to come out if I' going to get any further...

Thanks to the tips from @LS Chiou some time with a bit of paint swapping and kerb jumping (ahem) I managed to win the X2014 championship then go back and gold the rest. All using a DS3. Can't say it was hugely enjoyable, but OK. Have silver on Monza/Spa Vettel TT and bronze on Suzuka. The wheel is going to have to come out if I' going to get any further...

You can do it with a DS3 :) Just practice. I did all 3 gold in my 1st try with DS3 (by 4/5 seconds and a spin in SPA)...so anyone can do it. :)

In GT5 it was 1000x harder.

I got 3rd in the championship in the std on the DS3 yesterday and then golded everything on my DFGT today. Steering sensitivity on 7, RH tyres, Aids off except ABS=1. I would never have done better than Silver on DS3.

Straight after I tried driving the Corvette Concept and Merc VGT seasonals and it felt like I was driving through the sand all the way round. Knocked that on the head!

Last edited:
Happy it wasn't that hard. Golded all 8 events in ~1 hour....using a wheel and (yes sorry) AT...

You're not alone my good friend, I used AT too. Just couldn't be bothered with shifting in these cars. :crazy: I don't like them, don't drive them, and just wanted to get the events out of the way and be done with them. I really can't express enough just how much I despise these RB cars. :yuck:

The one thing I do like about the Red Bull cars is they force you to know every corner of a track quite well.. I admit I still do not like Suzuka but after driving it over and over at insane speeds I really have a nice sense of the layout of the track now that I didn't have before. Although on the down side, driving at these arcade speeds doesn't help me with finding good brake points for when I'm driving in a realistic car :lol:

i found the standard car fun and am after completing the championship a couple of times so far.although im after picking up a bad habit of hitting the limiter multiple times in 3rd,4th and 5th before i shift up just to hear that lovely sound lol

What a joke... after waiting 4 weeks to get it, it took under an hour to complete. it posses no challenge at all. For the Vettel challenge, in GT5 you had to do 2 near perfect laps to gold them (Suzuka took me hours of tries to do), GT6 and you can spin twice and still get gold by a second.. pathetic.

I admit, the RB cars are a novel idea, but PD should focus on getting the GT cars sorted before worrying about these. 4 GT3 cars... I understand the contract issues with Porsche.. but where is the 458 , MP4, Aston, Lambo.... The list goes on.

I don't know how PD do it.. any other company would be crucified for not giving the consumer what they want... PD ignore us, yet we still love the game!

What a joke... after waiting 4 weeks to get it, it took under an hour to complete. it posses no challenge at all. For the Vettel challenge, in GT5 you had to do 2 near perfect laps to gold them (Suzuka took me hours of tries to do), GT6 and you can spin twice and still get gold by a second.. pathetic.

I admit, the RB cars are a novel idea, but PD should focus on getting the GT cars sorted before worrying about these. 4 GT3 cars... I understand the contract issues with Porsche.. but where is the 458 , MP4, Aston, Lambo.... The list goes on.

I don't know how PD do it.. any other company would be crucified for not giving the consumer what they want... PD ignore us, yet we still love the game!
Nothing pleases you guys does it?:rolleyes:I clearly remember people complaining about how hard the events were in GT5. They are giving you more events to do and you complain about how we don't have enough GT3 cars, pathetic.
(I do agree that we could use a few more GT3 cars but it has nothing to do with the new Red Bull events)

Back