• Thread starter kolio
  • 100 comments

kolio

I wanna wish you a Merry Christmas
Premium
United States
the bottom of my heart.
kolio123
Do you guys think rim size will have an effect on performance? In GT5 we saw that different rims(from stock to aftermarket) gave you different performance. This was not always an increase though, sometimes it even stayed the same.

Also, do you guys think they will have different profiles to choose from? In my opinion they will make it an automatic adjustment that the game will have. If it is not automatic will it be very limited?

Should I make a poll? For rims size to performance, or tire profile?

Let me know what you guys think.

NOTE: THIS IS BASED OFF OPINION!!

Last edited:
Outside of PD I don't think anyone can answer this, you'll have to wait and see.

I vote for no poll (see above)

But polls about things that no one here can change or have any idea about are practically a requirement, aren't they?

I've also never really bought the argument that they had any changes in GT5, either.

We need a thread that is nothing but a giant poll with nonsensical questions mocking other nonsensical threads with nonsensical polls just for comic relief:lol:

I tuned a lot of cars for GT5 and all I ever noticed was that the rims changed the tranny ratios. I never noticed any performance change in circuit racing. Maybe someone tested it for drag racing or something and found something different.

We need a thread that is nothing but a giant poll with nonsensical questions mocking other nonsensical threads with nonsensical polls just for comic relief:lol:

I tuned a lot of cars for GT5 and all I ever noticed was that the rims changed the tranny ratios. I never noticed any performance change in circuit racing. Maybe someone tested it for drag racing or something and found something different.
Tested it for drag with an automatic transmission.
3 times with a black screen launch with stock wheel. (Vice Versa)

As far as performance improvement goes I would also say probably not .

The other thing that remains to be seen is just how much you can increase rim size also. Will it only be up by one in or will you be able to go up more than that? With 82 odd rims IIRC available, will we get all the sizes of each rim available as per manufacturer limits? Guess we'll find out on Dec 6

Maybe. If we take a '73 Skyline that comes with 14" wheels and go Plus 2 to 16, it might be better in top end speed. If we can go minus to 13" we might see a slower top speed or the car revving higher than it should. Lower the suspension enough and with a larger diameter rim it might not get enough enough suspension travel. I wont know until December 6th at about 11am :)

I don't think it's going to make that much of a difference to be honest. Something as small as this I'd imagine PD would overlook as not relevant to racing somehow

The width of rubber makes a big difference, this is the only point of contact your car has with the road. To say "I don't think it's going to make that much of a difference to be honest" & "something as small as this" you must be taking the mickey mate.

The width of rubber makes a big difference, this is the only point of contact your car has with the road. To say "I don't think it's going to make that much of a difference to be honest" & "something as small as this" you must be taking the mickey mate.

Exactly what I was going to say. The suspension is one part, but they DID do a new model on the tires, as well. I suspect that we will see VAST changes in handling with the changes in tire/wheel options. Where (and how) the rubber meets the road is a MASSIVELY important part of handling, and PD has promised some BIG changes in this!

Hopefully they set a limit to rim "height", I don't particularly want to see people rolling around on "floaters" and such. But I definitely want to see some deep dish rims with wide and fat rubber! Staggered rims would be nice. Gotta get traction some how.

In the real world yes. Rim width and tire choice is probably the most contributing factor to better lap times. With that said, has there ever in the history of GT the choice for rim or tire widths? No. I'm saying this is something small because to make the game drive well it's not even in the ballpark of contributing factors. But I'm not saying it should be although PD isn't going to make it a difference. PD doesn't even know how to properly implement most wheels let alone the offsets and widths of aftermarket wheels and how it affects the way a car behaves. It's pretty in depth and I can only hope that they learned something working with KW about it

Don't think that was what he was trying to say about PD. :)

With Yokohama and KW's involvement I have high hopes. But then I wonder just how long and how much collaboration they really have had and how much of it really sunk in at PD.

Best Motoring are the real world and original Gran Turismo. Everyone that know about cars and that dont should have a look through their videos. They do many tests with different tyre compoumds as well. Which is why I find it crazy how fast they can drive in wet conditions. Heres hoping wet weather traction improves in GT6. BMI also did a test of the 17" wheels on the S2000 from the first model on 16s. Plus they tested the NSX Type R on optional inched up wheels. Good stuff.

I just hope you can mix sizes front and rear (bigger on rear...) Many cars would benefit from this. If they model contact patch it will make a difference... I can't see Yokohama not impressing this fact upon PD. It's mostly about the contact patch and weight transfer... (yes, I know tire flex and such is where bigger rims and lower-profile tires is largely concerned. This should be in the model also.)
Yokohama would talk contact patch and sidewall flex, K&W would talk weight transfer... Together, we should get a good representation of real life handling, if PD did their job properly in the programming of a proper model.

In the real world yes. Rim width and tire choice is probably the most contributing factor to better lap times. With that said, has there ever in the history of GT the choice for rim or tire widths? No. I'm saying this is something small because to make the game drive well it's not even in the ballpark of contributing factors. But I'm not saying it should be although PD isn't going to make it a difference. PD doesn't even know how to properly implement most wheels let alone the offsets and widths of aftermarket wheels and how it affects the way a car behaves. It's pretty in depth and I can only hope that they learned something working with KW about it

The work with KW (Suspension) will have no bearing on the effect tyres have in relation to performance and handling. If PD want this to be THE REAL DRIVING SIM then they would be silly to overlook major factors like Profile, Diameter, pressure, Side Wall and even Tyre Rating ( R, W, Z ect). they all work together in one cohesive package to change the handling characteristic and the way the car behaves under different loads and circumstance. In GT5 they do have that indicator which shows you the stresses that the tyres are under to some degree but it was very crude to say the least. i hope the work with Yokohama bring some more true to life handling characteristics.

EDIT: Sorry my first sentance is probably a little confusing as it does have bearing but KW have nothing to do with tyres was sort of my point.

There is no rubber in GT, only bits and bytes. They may have chosen not to model the extra grip a wider rim gives who knows. But if they did model it the better take it into consideration in PP levels otherwise everybody in open lobbies will have the fattest tires possible on every car:lol:

Latest Posts

Back