Round 1 Technical Discussion: Tsukuba

• Thread starter EL_ZISSOU
  • 170 comments
For some reason I am the opposite, I was quite comfy at Rome, where Tsukuba sometimes gets a swear word or two out of me. I guess since the margin is so small at Tsukuba that a great lap can be ruined with one tiny hiccup out of a corner.

I like how this is about to turn into a "what track do you hate the most" conversation...

The thing about Rome that KILLS me is that 1 turn makes or breaks a lap, sometimes by a margin of over a second. You either come flying out of there on pace for a 1:21.3, or you hit the wall with near fatal force.

Cape can just get frustrating because it's a 2:45 lap where you are trying to string together near perfect sectors just to take off a few tenths. And it's "stupid" - what kind of joke comic book series/feverish dream was is this track trying to mimic?

Tsukuba can be rough when you run 1:05.4 like 10 laps in a row, constantly blowing T1, the first hairpin, and T5 by 0.1s each. However, no matter when/where you make a mistake, you are less than 1 minute from a fresh chance to make it better.

Hey guys, newcomer to the site here, and to the game actually. I was a little hesitant to enter into the competition because I figured I would never crack the top 1000 let alone the top 30, but then I thought WTH it'll be fun. I started running Tsukuba last night and after about 20 laps or so with a couple restarts involved, I managed to get down to low 1:09's. After seeing the top times, I know I have some work to do. Anyway, here's my dilemma. I haven't gotten my wheel set up yet because of few thing going on right now, one of which is my left wrist being in a splint from a snowboarding accident, so I'm using a controller. (hard work with a splint on, let me tell you) So I noticed that with TC off, I'm spinning ALL over the place, but with TC set just to 1, I can keep it going generally where I want it to go. So for you pros in here, is there any shame in running with TC on 1, or should I turn it off to have more control of the car? Thanks.

Hey guys, newcomer to the site here, and to the game actually. I was a little hesitant to enter into the competition because I figured I would never crack the top 1000 let alone the top 30, but then I thought WTH it'll be fun. I started running Tsukuba last night and after about 20 laps or so with a couple restarts involved, I managed to get down to low 1:09's. After seeing the top times, I know I have some work to do. Anyway, here's my dilemma. I haven't gotten my wheel set up yet because of few thing going on right now, one of which is my left wrist being in a splint from a snowboarding accident, so I'm using a controller. (hard work with a splint on, let me tell you) So I noticed that with TC off, I'm spinning ALL over the place, but with TC set just to 1, I can keep it going generally where I want it to go. So for you pros in here, is there any shame in running with TC on 1, or should I turn it off to have more control of the car? Thanks.

Hi there, welcome to :gtplanet:

I think TC set to 1 is perfect based on the other details you've mentioned, with a goal of eventually getting your best laps without it.

One thing you could try would be to spend most of your time early in the competition running with TC on, and do some shorter sessions without it. As you start to max out with your TC laps, then change over to spending more or all of your time without it and try to beat your best TC lap. I've done this in the past when a combo was very slippery (GTLM @ Daytona Road on S2) and had good results. 👍

Good luck to you! Don't be shy about asking questions, there are plenty of people around here that are eager to help. :)

Hi there, welcome to :gtplanet:

I think TC set to 1 is perfect based on the other details you've mentioned, with a goal of eventually getting your best laps without it.

One thing you could try would be to spend most of your time early in the competition running with TC on, and do some shorter sessions without it. As you start to max out with your TC laps, then change over to spending more or all of your time without it and try to beat your best TC lap. I've done this in the past when a combo was very slippery (GTLM @ Daytona Road on S2) and had good results. 👍

Good luck to you! Don't be shy about asking questions, there are plenty of people around here that are eager to help. :)

Thanks man, that makes sense. I'll try that out.

Thanks man

For shizzle
badteeth.gif

snoop-dog-louis-vuitton-damier-speedy.jpg

lolz...what you be hiddin' in that Gucci man purse, El_Z? :lol:

Managed to get myself to a 1:05.2xx last night following you. The faster you go, the more it's helping me. :D

Nice job! That's quite a solid time 👍

I am fine on the first sector and last turn but some of these other turns I feel like you almost need to hit them a little wacky to be fast, its not making sense which is whats frustrating.

Quite true...turn 8 is especially crucial in regards to applying this "wacky" technique. In order to achieve the fastest time possible you must use a very unusual driving technique and line which allows you to take advantage of the unrealistic amount of rear brake bias the car has. If you apply just the right amount of brake pressure and steering input upon corner entry, you can use this rear brake bias to get the car rotated quicker to the apex and setup for a nice, straight shot out of the corner. If you try to drive the car in a more traditional/realistic manner, without sliding the rear a bunch upon entry, no way will you get below a 1:05.1xx :ill: I also find this technique to be a bit hard to replicate with great consistancy and accuracy, particularly at turn 8.

Last edited:
What in the world is in that BAG, what you got in that BAG?
A couple a cans a whoop a*s, you did a good a*s job of just eyein me, spyin me

Roll out!

[repeat 6x]
Roll out! Roll out! Roll out! Roll out!

[Chorus - "roll out!" in background]
I got my twin glock .40s, cocked back
Me and my homies, so drop that
We rollin on twenties, with the top back
So much money, you can't stop that
Twin glock .40s, cocked back
Me and my homies, so drop that
We rollin on twenties, with the top back
So much money, you can't stop that

Ha ha ha :D

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/ludacris/rolloutmybusiness.html

Ok a little off topic, sorry :(

But seriously..

lolz...what you be hiddin' in that Gucci man purse, El_Z?

I prefer "murse".

TimeAttack, I got a .883 ghost for you to follow :D

Ridiculous. Its to the point where I cant even see how what you are doing is possible. And when that happens it just makes me wanna quit playing.

Screw you for making me feel this way. :crazy:

Ah well don't feel that way. It was a lucky lap.

Sometimes I don't understand it either when the ghost flies past me. Its a **** feeling but we just have to fight through it.

I think EVEN if someone beats this lap, I am not going to want to try to beat it. I'm just happy with it. I think it's less than a tenth away from my perfect lap, don't want to milk it that hard.

TimeAttack, I got a .883 ghost for you to follow :D

Unreal lol...I've tried your driving style based on the ghosts, but I don't think my DFGT can keep up...it just doesn't respond well. Probably a mix between my skill set and the wheel.

The Gregor Hutto of GT5 (at least in the US)? Quite possible.

Hey everyone! Another newcomer to the site. Ton's of valuable info to be had here. I've been doing the academy time trials since they first opened up and am currently in a love/hate relationship with them.
Like smearz above, I too am forced to use my DS3 controller for the game. I can't afford the steering wheel so I go with what I got. However, and I don't know if this is good or bad with a controller, I have managed a 1:07:536 with it. I don't know how I did it, but I did. I know for a fact that with the wheel I could do much much better. As it stands now, I can't see myself gaining much more over what I just did unless I get extremely lucky. I will still follow the remainder of the tourny, and may the best man/woman win! Best of luck to you all!

Here is something that is bothering the heck out of me. I've learned to trail brake. I'm pretty decent at getting the car to point where I want it to go. I roll on the throttle so as not to bake the rear tires. Any time I do get the rear to slide, I lose precious time. I can not figure out for the life of me how to get how you can drift it slightly and not lose time?

because you do it as much as you can WITHOUT countersteering.

you want to do the whole turn with the steering wheel in the middle, pointing straight as if you were in a straight line.

anytime you go over the middle line you're gonna lose time.

Ridiculous. Its to the point where I cant even see how what you are doing is possible. And when that happens it just makes me wanna quit playing.

Screw you for making me feel this way. :crazy:

You think you feel that way, imagine how the 26,000+ people who are outside of the top 128 who all thought they were fast before they entered this competition.

I guarantee at one point or another they thought they were the best when playing vs only AI all day :) I guarantee after this competition is over there are going to be quite a few people laying down the controller because they can't handle it.

I'm so close to walking away even though I'm in the top 128 for my region overall. I just can't seem to get close to my fastest lap times anymore.

I'm so close to walking away even though I'm in the top 128 for my region overall. I just can't seem to get close to my fastest lap times anymore.

Make sure you hold onto your position and wait for the next round then. Perhaps you are mind-fking yourself. I know I am.

I know I'm close to laying down my controller already, but there's time yet to maybe, somehow, lay down a faster time. It's a wonder I made it this far really.

While Tsukuba is certainly my favorite and most comfortable track of the 3, I'm finding that I either don't know it as well as I thought I did or have forgotten how to drive it.

I'm struggling a lot putting down good times, ranking around 480th or something in the Midwest. I'm losing some time in T4, but my biggest deficiency comes in T8.

If someone could break down T8 and give me some advice on how to tackle it I would be very appreciative. I remember struggling to learn it in GT4, but the techniques used on the old physics engine don't really cut it on GT5 (unsurprisingly).

I do love Tsukuba though, so much more technical than it looks. A lot going on in a small package :)

If someone could break down T8 and give me some advice on how to tackle it I would be very appreciative. I remember struggling to learn it in GT4, but the techniques used on the old physics engine don't really cut it on GT5 (unsurprisingly).

I do love Tsukuba though, so much more technical than it looks. A lot going on in a small package :)

I love it too. Technical and compact, as you stated, is just how I like my tracks. Knockhill, Lime Rock and the phallic shaped Snetterton (not too technical, but fun and small) just to name a few more.

When it comes to Gran Turismo, T8 is the rough spot for me as well. Finding the perfect amount of throttle to apply while also making sure not to drift too far out is where I get pinned down. I don't know what speed is appropriate for this turn and I always end up having far too much room on my left while coming out, my left wheels rarely ever clip the curb thus my speed is lacking into the back straight. With RFactor, on the other hand, this turn is one of the easier of the circuit.

Hey guys,

A lurker here but a huge gt5 fan. I've been playing Tsukuba this entire time and am trying to use the ghost as a guide, my top time right now is 1:06.8xx I forget but I am having the hardest time keeping up with the Driving Force GT Wheel. It appears that I cant be precise with it as I want to?

I notice most of the videos show double footwork, I keep to using one foot as my set up doesnt allow me to use two feet. Also heel and toe is impossible for me.

On the DFGT, I am playing w/out assist on, any tips on how I can improve with the wheel? Or, am I SOL???

Back