Round 1 Technical Discussion: Tsukuba

• Thread starter EL_ZISSOU
  • 170 comments
Get a better setup and use two feet? Are you disabling all assists, or keeping ABS on?

I have ABS on, and all other assist off. As for set up, I am pretty much stuck with what I got.

I am using "chiefdnd" ghost but he gets awat from me on a couple of turns.. I should mention in the midwest region...

Using a night table, that is pretty solid but has enough room for one leg...

Is 2 footing that necessary for a successful lap?

Technically no, but you would have to be ridiculously precise with one foot on the dfgt pedals. They arent extremely responsive which means if you were to look at a datalogger you would see that there's a huge gap between when you're getting off the gas and when you're braking.
Two footing makes it so you can do both simultaneously.

Technically no, but you would have to be ridiculously precise with one foot on the dfgt pedals. They arent extremely responsive which means if you were to look at a datalogger you would see that there's a huge gap between when you're getting off the gas and when you're braking.
Two footing makes it so you can do both simultaneously.

That makes sense, as I do notice that when getting off the gas pedal and back on it between gas and brake I loose a significant amount of time.

On another note, I have been playing with ABS set to 1 and just turned it off, big mistake ...

That makes sense, as I do notice that when getting off the gas pedal and back on it between gas and brake I loose a significant amount of time.

On another note, I have been playing with ABS set to 1 and just turned it off, big mistake ...

ABS off is kinda fun to mess around with, but it's a bit tough with comfort hard tires :D

ABS off is kinda fun to mess around with, but it's a bit tough with comfort hard tires :D

I just tried several laps with them off, I cant stop the car from spinning out :). ABS back on...

I do like how it gives you more control over the car though.

Well finishing the day 383rd @ 1:06.603.

Lessons learned:

1. Using the DFGT wheel, really important to get the breaking right, have to be really gentle on the break paddle.

2. Once breaking was established, learned to rotate the car in turns. I can't believe how important that is and helpful.

I have yet attack the other two tracks sigh... My wheel acquired an interesting annoyance, it kinda whistles as I use it ...

Okay, I changed my mind, this is now my least favorite track. I can't seem to get close to my previous best, and I can't see Fix's 104.8 being beaten.

This is my favorite track, but my least favorite car. I keep fighting myself. I can go into turns hot and use trail braking to bring the rear end around but I cook the tires. I can go into turns cool and understeer like crazy and still miss the apex. I just can't get into turns "warm" with enough speed to leave room for trail braking but not so much that the tires overheat. Plus the DFGT's 900 degrees of travel has me wrapped up like a pretzel getting around these tight turns.

Could anyone here break down turn number 8 for me? It's probably my worst turn on this course. I'm currently running a 1:06.4xx and have room for improvement on most of the turns, however this is the one I am consistently losing a lot of time on.
Thanks!

Could anyone here break down turn number 8 for me? It's probably my worst turn on this course. I'm currently running a 1:06.4xx and have room for improvement on most of the turns, however this is the one I am consistently losing a lot of time on.
Thanks!

If i remember correctly turn 8 is the hairpin right hander (second to last corner). All i do is try to round off the corner as much as possible while sliding the car in and around at the right angle to come off the corner with out losing to much momentum. Sorry but thats all i can really say about that corner. Its kind of a tough one to describe. I ran a 1:05.821 for reference.

Thanks! I finally studied some replay footage of some of the top drivers and was able to rip off a 1:05.981 good for 114th in the midwest region on this track. I wish I would have gotten a chance to really dig into the game before this week. Going to be a long shot for me to learn the next 2 tracks and rip times in the top 128 to advance....

Vitty, you can do it. Just get the kink right at Rome and move onto the Cape. If you made top 128 at Tsukuba, what's stopping you from making top 128 on the other two.

I didn't start participating in the competition until this past Sunday. My wife went out of town on weds so I have really only gotten the last two days after work to spend on the tracks. I have only ran 10 laps on Rome, and 3 laps on Cape so far. Rome I am currently sitting at 1:24.391 and Cape I am sitting at 3:04.940.

Lots of room for improvement on the last 2 tracks. Just need to find the time to sit down with them.

Vitty, I know time is running out but you can get down to the 48's at the cape and in the high 21's by the deadline. I was able to get that low in a few hours of running at each track. Just do 30-40 minutes at each track at a time. I usually start at Rome, then go to Tsukuba then to Cape. What you learn at Rome with the slippery surface translates to Tsukuba very well, and Cape will utilize the trail braking technique that is necessary to be fast at Tsukuba.

I will be on probably tonight. If you want any tips or some help just ask.

Hey Choate51, what do you have your g27 set to in the general settings on the startup screen? Not the settings for the race itself, but the settings for the wheel

I have it set to FF of 5, power steering off, and on Simulation. I don't think there are any other adjustments available. If you feel like you are stupid slow on the straights, make sure that your brake isn't sticking just a tad. You can see this by looking at your HUD and observing the gas/brake pedal saturation. I noticed this a couple nights ago and had to tear apart the pedals and do a little adjustment to the pot. The prongs on the pot were too close to the pedal base and was causing some interference.

Back