Sierra Time Rally Round 4

• Thread starter Tyger
  • 88 comments
United Kingdom
UK
ReTyger
Didn't see a thread for this or much mention of it in the update thread, so was wondering what folks' experiences of this were, and, in all honesty am looking for some tips as I seem to be really bad at this event. I'm not bad at GT generally, can usually Gold every seasonal with relative ease and have golded everything in the game except the Red Bull stuff.

Also I love this track! But I've tried this three times now and only managed Bronze each time, not even close to Silver. It seems to me that PD are experimenting with AI again, as they did a while back when a lot of cars were making errors in the seasonals. But now they seem to weave about, slow down and speed up in a totally arbitrary manner. Add in that random rain storm and...well the best I managed was about 10 seconds on the clock and maximum 23 cars passed, but still only managed some way between Bronze and Silver.

I do kinda like how the AI are less robotic and bunch up at times but when they swerve straight in front of you or zoom off into the distance like they are packing nitro (usually a Nissan, and what's with those green wheels on one of them?) it gets a little wearing.

Use the nitro wisely. I burn most of my nitro at the start, so that I can pass as many cars as possible as early as possible. Got more than 50 overtakes at my last run.

Freaking hard event, because those idiot AI cars really do a lot of weird lines and moves. Lots of times they pushed me out of the road or moved in front of me just when I was overtaking them... And to this, add the huge rain in a part of the track, you cant see anything.
You have to be very careful in certain situations, for example when you catch some very slow cars like the Beetle, beware to not to run into them.

Done this event on my first try, amazing car to drive, AI seemed a little faster, what surprised me the most was to see modified skylines with aftermarket wheels and spoilers. My god they were fast I wonder what PD are up to.... :dopey:

Haven't played it yet, but from all accounts it is more difficult than the 3rd. I would have preferred they not escalate the difficulty. Or at least not so quickly. Where are they going to go from here? The Senna Lotus? Red Bull X car? Makes no sense to not have a very gradual progression up the PP chain. But now they've effectively blown their wad.

Really would have been nice for them to have mirrored the Goodwood Events.

Haven't played it yet, but from all accounts it is more difficult than the 3rd. I would have preferred they not escalate the difficulty. Or at least not so quickly. Where are they going to go from here? The Senna Lotus? Red Bull X car? Makes no sense to not have a very gradual progression up the PP chain. But now they've effectively blown their wad.

Really would have been nice for them to have mirrored the Goodwood Events.
I would say the difficulty escalates as much from 3rd to 4rt as 2nd to 3rd.
The NISMO GTR has a lot of power yes, but I think its very easy to drive and more predictable than the Ferrari. The hard part is to avoid all the drunk AI cars

In the 5th attempt I did a perfect but I had to brake a bit too much and then the score still was not that high. 1.800.000 I got, kinda disappointing considering that in the 1st try I golded it with 1.400.000 and hit several cars.
Going slower penalises a lot. You have to everything perfect, good luck :boggled:

Silver now, using the nitrous but had one or two collisions. What is the bonus for getting perfect? Anyway, great way to grind, payouts are pretty good, especially at 200% :)

I friggin' hate the AI in this as they can't seem to "notice" you and tend to cut you off, usually at speed. Came close to gold with a 1,193,xxx score but couldn't get that little extra to obtain it. Maybe will try later but who knows.

No many people whinging about AI cutting you off,
you need to plan two overtakes, the first one is the one you would usually do.
But that's the one they will probably expect and cover, so you should default to the "wrong" overtake.

Then, give up 2/10 of a second by waiting for them to move, don't dive into the corner late and risk being hit as they cover the line, brake earlier, then accelerate through the corner and you'll pass easier.
All these time rally events reward you with patience, smooth driving and not attacking so hard

I've hit past 2.5 mio of points. I only used nitrous to exit slow corners quickly, but after hitting 180km/h (111mp/h), I stop spraying. I got to save the bottle that way until the end of the 3rd stage of the track. You should be cautious when overtaking in the 3rd stage as that's when the surface water level is at 90%, the water coming out from the wheels makes a very thick water spray making visibility low.

I notice the AI tend to careen towards you when they crash or almost crash. On my high-scoring run I almost got t-boned after the GT-R Black Edition overshot the mid-speed curve, hit the invisible wall shaped after the rocky cliffs, and oversteered towards the inside where I was overtaking it.

Becareful with the Isuzu 4200R Concept that brakes in the longest straight where the hairpin appears, because it becomes unstable and changes lanes VERY quickly, it's a bad idea to overtake it at that event. Luckily in my run it spawned slightly later so I overtook it inside the hairpin corner.

I managed this on 8th try. I found the AI got racier with every car I caught. I just bided my time with some cars and still got 70 overtakes and finished with a 2,079.000. The GTR is good enough to not rush, I also mostly stayed off the racing line into corners as the AI weave a lot.

No many people whinging about AI cutting you off,
you need to plan two overtakes, the first one is the one you would usually do.
But that's the one they will probably expect and cover, so you should default to the "wrong" overtake.

Then, give up 2/10 of a second by waiting for them to move, don't dive into the corner late and risk being hit as they cover the line, brake earlier, then accelerate through the corner and you'll pass easier.
All these time rally events reward you with patience, smooth driving and not attacking so hard
I agree with this post, 100%. I kept the pace up as much as I could but I would slow down and just bide my time if the AI didn't know where on the road it wanted to be (they just love driving down the middle of the road, only to move to the side you're on just as you're about to pass).

I ran a clean run passing 54 cars. A few spots I had to slow down while the Ai clogged the road, but it was fun. First Finish got 1,755,492 point

View attachment 259278

View attachment 259280

Best advice I can give is don't be afraid to slow down, especially around packs of Ai. Get familiar with what corners are better to pass on the inside or outside, and don't be worried about waiting for an opening.

Use your nitro to pass, when you get stuck behind a few cars and have to slow down, use the nitro to boost through the opening and build distance and get back lost speed.

IMO The 3rd event was more taxing as the Nismo GTR is just so easy to drive hard. The Ferrari GTO has a more old school character where it snaps and bites your head off out of the blue for no apparent reason.

Got all the way to the last sector without hitting any one of those drunken idiots and went into one of the last 10 or so corners with two cars in front of me. They went side by side and then STOPPED in the middle of the turn. I stopped so I didn't hit them and got rear ended.

Collision. Combo Lost. For getting rear ended.

I was up to 46. Crossed the finish with 2 seconds left and 1 overtake. 998,275

One of the most frustrating things I have ever experienced in a game. Never touching this one again.

It was fun to figure out ways around the traffic staying clean, I will definitely do these many me times

Agree with you totally. I don't know why so many people think the AI should just get out of their way so that they can go flying past in an easy overtake. Having said that, there was a yellow Ferrari (I think) that almost stopped in a corner to let me pass haha. I just think of it being a rally for amateurs and moderately advanced drivers (like me) that are sometimes timid and foolhardy and reckless and that make mistakes. Just like real humans.

Agree with you totally. I don't know why so many people think the AI should just get out of their way so that they can go flying past in an easy overtake. Having said that, there was a yellow Ferrari (I think) that almost stopped in a corner to let me pass haha. I just think of it being a rally for amateurs and moderately advanced drivers (like me) that are sometimes timid and foolhardy and reckless and that make mistakes. Just like real humans.

I think of it like Im schooling a crew of young Ricers

Back