SimCity V: Coming March 5!

• Thread starter Joey D
  • 336 comments
You can have quality of interaction or quantity. One would have hoped for a little more quantity... maybe up to 10,000 or 100,000, but I think it's an interesting direction to take.

That is quite conserning to me. Hopefully the depth of economics etc. will counter it.
I think the strength of the reduced city size lies in the way there is no need to focus on micro-management. I noticed it in SIM CITY 4: once my city got to a certain size, it ran into a wall because I had to dedicate all of my time to managing what already existed, rather than being able to develop something new.

I think the strength of the reduced city size lies in the way there is no need to focus on micro-management. I noticed it in SIM CITY 4: once my city got to a certain size, it ran into a wall because I had to dedicate all of my time to managing what already existed, rather than being able to develop something new.

Managing the details is kind of the point to me.

Oh, I get that - I just found that in SIM CITY 4, your city got to the point where you didn't have time to expand your city because you spent all your energy maintaining what you already had.

Not my picture, but this is the current state of the beta:
7b75ca9b3e560502ee781133dea6b974.png

Nice one, EA. You can't play a single-player game because a server is full.

There's going to be another closed beta in a few days, this time to test the fixes they've made to the servers.

So uh... yeah, this came out today.

I just bought it. People were complaining that they actually have to wait in a queue just to be able to play it during peak hours, for like an hour... a singleplayer game that's been turned into more of an MMO-city builder.

I won't ever be playing during peak hours 'cause I work in the evenings though, so I'm hoping I don't encounter any of the bad.

'cause while people are complaining about that, the gameplay itself is getting glowing reviews. Excited to get going :D

Yeah apparently EA made up some crap about some of the game needs to be run on there servers. But it is just a cover up for the always on DRM

That kind of puts a damper on it for me. I have a crappy time of it logging onto PSN, and Steam as it is...

That kind of puts a damper on it for me. I have a crappy time of it logging onto PSN, and Steam as it is...

I used to have a tough time logging on to psn but found an easy way to get connected. I used to give up after twenty minutes of failed connection attempts after system startup. I found that I have a far higher possibility of connection if I start a game first then attempt to connect. It usually works the first time. Give it a try.

I got in and I pretty much have no idea what I'm doing. But I made a region called GTP League of Mayors in the region with 7 cities. Everyone put down your Origin names so I can add you to my friends list and invite you to the region.

Mine is mattythedog, however as the Mac version is still TBD, and I'm still unsure about the game, I won't be able to play for a while.

Basically, the reason I couldn't do anything was because their servers are rotten horse anus bad.

Now the launch client is stuck on "Waiting for Updates" or whatever. Oh well. At least I got all my floors vacuumed and carpets cleaned in the mean time.

Have you tried changing the server you connected too? That seem to solve my problem.

I'm on europe east 2 now that I finally got the client to launch the game. They must be excreting bricks over there in the server rooms. :lol:

The game isn't out in Central Euroland until 8 minutes from now, but I'd like to join you tomorrow, provided the server hasn't immolated itself by then. I'm ViosVigo on Origin :)

Buggy? Yes, but I wouldn't say they ruined it. All modern games will eventually move to being online all the time and we all know DLC now is the in thing for every game company. It doesn't have quite the same character as SimCity 4, but the game does have quite a bit of potential and once people start modding the game they will fix any shortcomings...much like what happened with SimCity 4.

It's funny you should say that about SimCity 4. It shipped with a massive bug in the rotation of its tilesets that meant the buildings couldn't actually grow into their next phase once your population hit about 33,000. The game would interpret this as meaning the buildings were being abandoned, so you'd just get an outbreak of derelict houses and apartment buildings spreading across your city.

EA never did fix the glitch were putting an elevated rail station above a subway tunnel would crash to desktop, either. And that one was coded into the exe for the game, so they couldn't fix it with mods.

Buggy? Yes, but I wouldn't say they ruined it. All modern games will eventually move to being online all the time and we all know DLC now is the in thing for every game company. It doesn't have quite the same character as SimCity 4, but the game does have quite a bit of potential and once people start modding the game they will fix any shortcomings...much like what happened with SimCity 4.
That's fine, but it should not dictate how the entire game develops.

The inability to save to a HDD & other complained about issues seem to be the result of the silly decision that the game needs to be online. This game should have been shipped like every other SimCity instead of trying to be so heavily multiplayer focused.

f5abc046634001d62bf4b94518679538.jpg

I was going to buy this game on release. Glad I didn't and I probably won't buy it. Good luck for you guys that are having issues. I hope it gets resolved soon.

The game isn't out in Central Euroland until 8 minutes from now, but I'd like to join you tomorrow, provided the server hasn't immolated itself by then. I'm ViosVigo on Origin :)

Jesus, so that's what happened? The server went down half an hour ago and I just got booted from the game. I figured they want to force an update. Hopefully I can play something meaningful now. I made a neat city to get the feel for the game, but now I think that city is probably lost for good. :lol:

Back