• Thread starter Snaeper
  • 404 comments

Snaeper

Premium
United States
Phoenix, AZ
GTP_Snaeper

Greetings ladies and gentleman,

One of the most visible updates to GTPlanet that came from GTP12 was the unified resolution for avatars available to all members. This means that all members now have access to the same canvas with which to express who they are to each other (within the AUP, of course).

However, I've noticed quite a few members are using inappropriately sized avatars that has lead to pixelation of the image. Being someone who's a bit OCD about aesthetics, I've done my best to help members of the community update their avatars, but this has resulted in a quite efficiently spammed Inbox, so I've instead decided to make this thread as a general resource to help members out in making the best looking avatars possible.

There was originally a 25kb size limit on the image you used, which lead to some problems if you chose a picture that might have had too much detail or color. As that is now gone, I'm not sure how much help this thread will be, but I will give some examples below to showcase good avatar-making practices, to ensure the beauty and detail of your image is on full display. Examples will be used by members I have helped who have granted permission for me to showcase what I've done. It all comes down to three easy steps.

Step 1: Pixel Recommendation

First, the 200x200 recommendation is something I'd strongly advise following.

YbHABbb.png

An example of ignoring this recommendation comes from gtplanet member LawnDart. He had selected an Audi DTM interior for his avatar, but chose to simply put the entire image in thinking that the larger image would give him more detail. Even after I made a 200x200 avatar for him, he declined on the basis that the original image was larger.

Here's what the larger image looked like when it was uploaded to GTPlanet:

WvLAlYd.jpg

And this is what the avatar I made for him looked like:

xq25Ifx.jpg

As you can see, much of the detail from the original image that was lost, is now in view. Note, too, that the only time the full picture was even in view was when you clicked on his profile. Thus making it a bit of a moot point since most member profiles are visited quite infrequently.

Here are some other examples:
ExigeEvan
55sgSvp.jpg

vs.
t9HbjnJ.jpg

HKS racer
42P2Qsw.jpg

vs.
QmqwYqS.jpg

Jav
t1LDLf4.jpg

vs.
3mbjvM2.jpg

So, how can we avoid pixelation?

Step 2: Crop

Cropping an image is a very simple thing to do and can be done in just about every kind of photo-editing software. MS Paint's crop isn't incredibly intuitive, as it offers no method of locking the crop in place to ensure both sides are equal sized, thus requiring some monitoring. Adobe PS is the software of choice if you have it available, but I'm sure GIMP and other free photo editing software have similar crop tools that offer more control.

Step 3: Re-size

Once you've cropped, re-size the image down to 200x200 pixels and save away. You will now have a crystal-clear avatar. You're done!

Another tip I have to give is making sure you select an image that is dynamic within the 200x200 space you're recommended to use. A car may look good in a picture, but once you begin cropping, you could end up with a headlight and a wheel if you're lucky. And since GTPlanet crops the image anyways, don't you think it would be better to just pick an image and crop it yourself to control what others are seeing?

Here are some examples that had previously been over-sized or pixelated images, that I re-cropped for the member:

h58YxeQ.jpg

This is a good image of the R18 e-tron sitting with some R8's... but nobody would ever know that since only the corners of the front two show up. The original image wasn't large enough to allow more car into the space, and on top of that, there would have been a lot of negative space above the cars and it would've been hard to make anything out anyways, even in crystal clarity.

Here was my alternative option I provided to TDZdave which he liked a lot and continues to use:

pWKQDcJ.jpg

This is an awesome shot of the R15+ and R18 that has lots of color, dynamic poses and genuinely makes a pretty good avatar in my opinion. Again, the size of the image prevented the rest of the R18 from being in the image, but I think it looks perfect the way it is.

Here are some other examples:

fS8OoQ6.jpg

Alternative

DhraPlY.jpg

AOloRR2.jpg

Alternative

KTZVB0w.jpg

rDWNZGT.jpg

Alternative

Xi0HpxP.jpg

So have a little fun with finding an awesome image! The more unique or obscure the better of course!

Requests

If you need help making an avatar, just post the image in this thread and we'll do what we can. Do not expect excessive photoshopping, as that's too time-consuming and well outside of some member's Photoshop skills, but feel free to ask anyways!

Note that all of the members listed above are great people that I just wanted to help out. Nobody is a bad person for having a pixelated avatar.

Here's my portfolio of avatars I've created both for myself, others, or just for fun. All artwork credit goes to their creators, one of them being our very own @Klem and the other predominantly featured artist being Colin Carter. Please ask to use the Avatar, that way there won't be any twins.

Yr7bnDw.jpg
svqtooi.jpg
zUNverN.jpg

PpPrt51.jpg
BP9oIFc.jpg
V9rDu9u.jpg

RAR12Dk.jpg
ZoVagZQ.jpg
SfcmWcM.jpg

v85yXrq.jpg
jg0fTvU.jpg
6VJj38R.jpg

FPPCqqz.jpg
ypokWDE.jpg
QuXyZ1s.jpg

PyU187R.jpg
8WlkqKJ.jpg
YGRM2zc.jpg

nqqZMgS.jpg
lRdIGNA.jpg
0XLV8CV.jpg

iSYV4WY.jpg
0tiNusn.jpg
KTZVB0w.jpg

ZaN3rdk.jpg
YGpUyPB.jpg
pcjkgjv.jpg

JpUOXM1.jpg
wR536ne.jpg
Bi8Yd1D.jpg

KlrhmmS.jpg
FmnmSY8.jpg
HZJWEgE.jpg

s4a38zI.jpg
5yKaiWG.jpg
uQ87iry.jpg

IJRaBrr.jpg
tBsZOuN.jpg
NOeZQmP.jpg

l3zsz1d.jpg
zB4f2r2.jpg
Q6SBfdS.jpg

QxtScTH.jpg
KD34aoB.jpg
BSll6bc.jpg

k5j1qq4.jpg
rgUoPXn.jpg
Gdp9B0F.jpg

nqNe4R0.jpg
wDYjjgj.jpg
P4pkcaJ.jpg

cJ2HWEt.jpg
5S4LjYZ.jpg
zF9WWZN.jpg

TvrhAjY.jpg
6xZmYyE.jpg
abuTG5R.jpg

Last edited:
What's the logic behind 200x200 sizing when the avatar is limited to 120x120?
Your profile pic (which uses the same image as your avatar) is 200x200. 120 stretched to 200 doesn't look pretty. 200 scaled down to 120 does.

Awesome thread, glad it was stickied! Thanks for helping Snaeper!

By the way, here is my GT5 retake of the real life picture! Probably could have been better. :)

Attachments

• Superspeedway - Indy.jpg
    Superspeedway - Indy.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
In case people ask there is very slight artifacting currently on the scaled down 120px avatar image which I guess cannot be avoided as its coming from a 200px source. It is noticeable when you compare it to a native 120px image.

TB
Your profile pic (which uses the same image as your avatar) is 200x200. 120 stretched to 200 doesn't look pretty. 200 scaled down to 120 does.

Still wondering where that 200x200 comes from. I understand what you're saying about better to reduce the size than enlarge it, but I have yet to see a profile pic that's larger then 192 pixels high, and I've seen pics more than 200 px wide.

Wouldn't removing the photo then uploading it work just as well?

Instead of taking our old aviators, cropping and sizing them to get them into focus would it be easier for some just to upload the aviator again allowing the new system to refocus the picture? It's something I did and it was a very fast fix. I'm not sure it will work with every picture but it has worked so far with all the ones I've tried and they've been of many sizes and res.

Instead of taking our old aviators, cropping and sizing them to get them into focus would it be easier for some just to upload the aviator again allowing the new system to refocus the picture? It's something I did and it was a very fast fix. I'm not sure it will work with every picture but it has worked so far with all the ones I've tried and they've been of many sizes and res.
It won't work with every image. Your current avatar would be pixelated if it had any more detail outside of a red and blue line. Why you also want the front and rear to be clipped by GTPlanet's cropping system is beyond me, as well. Why not have the logo in full view?

t2OMEPa.jpg

Try that for me and tell me what you think looks better.

Still wondering where that 200x200 comes from. I understand what you're saying about better to reduce the size than enlarge it, but I have yet to see a profile pic that's larger then 192 pixels high, and I've seen pics more than 200 px wide.

Totally agree, @Snaeper Am not understanding the 200x200? Since all profile pics when you get to there profile page its shows as 192x192.
Image.png
t2OMEPa.jpg

Last edited:
I tried it when I got in from work and results weren't good. It reshaped the picture.

Attachments

• UMC_Tag_2.jpg
    UMC_Tag_2.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Totally agree, @Snaeper Am not understanding the 200x200? Since all profile pics when you get to there profile page its shows as 192x192.
View attachment 84401 View attachment 84404
GTPlanet has a recommendation of 200x200, so that's the recommendation I'm suggesting everyone should follow. When you change your avatar, it's right below the avatar selection button. The color of the text needs to be changed to make it more visible, though.

Here's what I'm talking about:
YbHABbb.png

I tried it when I got in from work and results weren't good. It reshaped the picture.
Tried what? Zuel, I have the hardest time understanding you sometimes, man. I meant for you to try the avatar I made for you which was included in the post where I asked you to try this. Which, as far as I can see, you still haven't.

Last edited:
GTPlanet has a recommendation of 200x200, so that's the recommendation I'm suggesting everyone should follow. When you change your avatar, it's right below the avatar selection button. The color of the text needs to be changed to make it more visible, though.

WOW that is hard to see, Had to highlight it just to be able to read it. :lol:
I can see why you say 200x200 now.

Untitled-1.png

Strange little bug is that one now I know, because all images on your profile page drop to the 192x192 like what I,ve been saying? (Plus BobK) Post https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/snaepers-avatar-assistance-thread.290450/#post-8981816
Anyhow at least we are all clear now on the misunderstanding. 👍

EDIT:
You edited after I posted. :lol: Would of saved me a screen print.:D

Yeah, I understood there was some compression, but it wasn't a big enough shrink for me to tell people to dis-regard the 200x200 recommendation. I now realize that people were not seeing that due to the color of the font, and that was why there was confusion.

And I edited before you posted! You just didn't refresh the page :sly:

Last edited:
Yeah, I understood there was some compression, but it wasn't a big enough shrink for me to tell people to dis-regard the 200x200 recommendation. I now realize that people were not seeing that due to the color of the font, and that was why there was confusion.

Yer its a bad one, Nice find. To be honest I didn,t even know there was any writing in there. :lol:
All sorted now tho plus its been reported so it should be just a little fix someday when @Jordan gets the time am sure.👍

I tried cropping it myself mate when I got home, that when the reshape happened. I didn't know you already did it.

BLOODY HELL, Thanks @Snaeper!!! 👍:gtpflag:

Addition:

Just don't call me Einstein, they always called me that when I was young.:boggled:
He was always misunderstood.

Last edited:
Okay, so if it's recommended to be "at least" 200x200, seems to me that 960x960 would be the best size to use. The logic is that scaling works best when the source is an integer multiple of the desired size and the least common multiple of 120 and 192 is 960. Wouldn't surprise me, though, if 480x480 worked very well, too.

Thanks for pointing out where the 200x200 came from, @Snaeper, I doubt if I would ever have noticed that.

@BobK, I'd like to point out that the irony of you continuing to discuss this topic has not been lost on me. :sly:

While I imagine that uploading a larger image could work with compression clarity, larger images mean there will be a larger memory size. GTPlanet originally implemented a 25kb restriction that has since been removed. I believe it would be best to keep your avatar around 30kb out of respect of preventing any possible issues that may arise should a larger avatar be uploaded. Unless Jordan or someone else approves such a practice.

I now have an avatar image, whereas previously except for a fairly short time I have never had an avatar in the past and never had a profile pic, period. The new (misguided, imo) policy is that if you do not have an avatar, one will be supplied.

As should be apparent from discussion in this very thread, image quality is very important to some people. Jordan did remove the limit, not just raise it to 30kb or anything else. However if people started uploading multimegabyte avatars I am sure that further guidance would be issued.

Consider that one image now serves as both your avatar and your profile pic, so any self-imposed limit would more reasonably be the combined size of the two former images anyway.

Besides, consider that you can now host your photo gallery right here on GTPlanet. I'd bet that the total size of all uploaded avatars is only a small fraction of any fair-sized gallery.

@BobK, I'd like to point out that the irony of you continuing to discuss this topic has not been lost on me. :sly:

While I imagine that uploading a larger image could work with compression clarity, larger images mean there will be a larger memory size. GTPlanet originally implemented a 25kb restriction that has since been removed. I believe it would be best to keep your avatar around 30kb out of respect of preventing any possible issues that may arise should a larger avatar be uploaded. Unless Jordan or someone else approves such a practice.
The image you upload will be re-processed and re-sized by the server, regardless of what the original file size is, so an unnecessarily large file can never be used as an avatar - it's just not something that you have to worry or think about anymore.

Let me take a wild guess here and say maybe it's to make your current avatar go away? Like, you're tired of looking at it and you don't have another one ready? Or people are saying your avatar makes you look like a (fill in the perjorative of your choice) and you don't have a spare except the one you're tired of looking at?

Back