Spec 2.0 Thoughts and Speculation

Never. I feel GT6 is an abandoned project already. PD is busy doing other stuff not related to the game.
Kaz is busy with some other stuff but the home office is split between GT6 and GT7.

Last edited:
I wonder what is taking so long for the social features... Those things and easy and fast to implement. And putting a few guys working on them for a few weeks would all it might take to do them.

And all the work could be reused for gt7 too...

Whatever spec 2.0 has, it better have at least what was promised for GT6 as at 6 December 2013 AND be big-free or Kaz & his mates at PD can post it where the rising sun doesn't shine.

The thing about Spec 2.0 in GT5, and why it is inevitable for GT6, is the fact that it was a pretty huge PR boon for PD.

With all of the racing games coming out this fall, I see them releasing all of the additional promised features in one big update... hence Spec 2.0.

The thing about Spec 2.0 in GT5, and why it is inevitable for GT6, is the fact that it was a pretty huge PR boon for PD.

With all of the racing games coming out this fall, I see them releasing all of the additional promised features in one big update... hence Spec 2.0.
Although we're just guessing, I too believe there will be a Spec 2 and it will include most, if not all the missing features. I think the real question at this point is whether anyone will care or at least will enough people care for anyone to notice? The buzz is not there like it was for GT5 and there are far fewer units sold at this point. Online is not nearly as popular as it was in GT5 at this point in the life cycle either. With DriveClub and PCars about to drop on the PS4 they will attract a lot of attention and all the early adopters which surely includes many driving enthusiasts will be scooping those games up and raving about the awesome visuals and hopefully gameplay.

Spec 2 will be important to those still playing the game, but I don't think it's going to bring many back to the game that have already left for greener pastures.

Kaz mentioned vaguely that a course maker is in his hands recently on Reddit (I think).
I would take a beta accepting that there will be bugs rather than wait for Spec 2.0. The community can help with the testing.

Spec 2 will be important to those still playing the game, but I don't think it's going to bring many back to the game that have already left for greener pastures.
And to the millions of people that still have a PS3 and are waiting for a better GT, or a cheaper PS3 console to upgrade. The PS3 price is still expensive compared to the lowest PS2 retail prices some years ago. GT4 sold many copies out of time thanks to this, even with the flashy GT5P and GT5 running hot sales. Not everybody is crazy about graphics or can afford the expensive newest system everytime.

Also don't forget the more than probably disc Spec 2 versions with all the updates and the GT6 cheaper Platinum editions, that will bring a new bunch of players to the party.

That update was just full of things that should have been there from the start.
And so a GT6 Spec II would be very fitting indeed.

Most people are apathetic about the game (/ games in general), so what'll happen is they'll look at the update (assuming it comes, which I think it will, sooner rather than later), and if it appeals, they'll invest time or money or whatever, otherwise they'll move on.

I think the value in visibly supporting an 18-month-to-year-old product outweighs the cost (which is split across a couple of titles for something like the course maker), as long as there is something to show for it.

And to the millions of people that still have a PS3 and are waiting for a better GT, or a cheaper PS3 console to upgrade. The PS3 price is still expensive compared to the lowest PS2 retail prices some years ago. GT4 sold many copies out of time thanks to this, even with the flashy GT5P and GT5 running hot sales. Not everybody is crazy about graphics or can afford the expensive newest system everytime.

Also don't forget the more than probably disc Spec 2 versions with all the updates and the GT6 cheaper Platinum editions, that will bring a new bunch of players to the party.
You speculation is just wishful thinking and has no basis in logic or 15 years of GT history. Every game sold well out of the gate, GT6 didn't. Console and game pricing was never a barrier nor is it now. 75 million+ consoles are out there already and more than 10 millions units sold of GT5. So they aren't waiting to buy new consoles, the consoles are already out there and people have decided they don't want the game. The only question is as I said before, will spec 2 turn millions of non-buyers into buyers. I'd be willing to bet almost anything that won't be the case.

by 2.0, I hope we'll get all the promised features, including the community stuff, track creator, GPS thingy, and some other stuff that was promised.

You speculation is just wishful thinking and has no basis in logic or 15 years of GT history. Every game sold well out of the gate, GT6 didn't. Console and game pricing was never a barrier nor is it now. 75 million+ consoles are out there already and more than 10 millions units sold of GT5. So they aren't waiting to buy new consoles, the consoles are already out there and people have decided they don't want the game. The only question is as I said before, will spec 2 turn millions of non-buyers into buyers. I'd be willing to bet almost anything that won't be the case.
It could be the even gt curse.....

My thoughts are that Spec 2 either won't exist, or will simply be a small update disguised behind a huge announcement of how innovative and awesome GT6 is. And of course, throwing "big" names in the car industry that won't really add much the game (sorry Senna), followed by Kazunori shaking hands with some fat guy in a suit or Gran Turismo banners in some exclusive car meeting.

This are my speculations of what a possible Spec II will be:

-A couple of cars that even though are welcome, will most likely be irrelevant, have no cockpit, have no use in actual races, or alternate versions of cars we already have in the game. If we get one or two new cars which are actual real cars, we would be VERY lucky.

-A track or two, which I have no complains about, either if it's free or paid. It's the only thing PD seems to do right most of the times. Except for that joke of the alternate Monza and the other track that are a blatant example of laziness.

-More unnecessary and random fixes to the physics.

-Something FIA related stuff that will probably be more TT's or contests outside the game that most probably won't even be able to participate in. Oh, but it will be announced as the next big thing.

-Some "amazing" tool that all of us can use, that let's us record our laps in a specific world track. Of course; if we have an specific $30,000+ sports car with that accessory added, and that it's only available in one country.

Here's what Spec II will NOT have:

-DLC packs with real cars and cars we all want.
-Sound update, even if it's just to fix cars with wrong samples.
-Fixes on cars with wrong specs or details.
-Livery Editor.
-Course Maker.
-Improved A.I.
-Tire and Fuel options in Arcade mode.
-That awesome massive track they teased us a couple of months ago.
-Standard to Premium conversions, even if it's just a couple of the most loved cars.
-Extended career mode.

And the ability to create multiple races in sequence like it states here...

http://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/products/gt6/

In the features list, under online.

7 months PD & im still setting up 1 race at a time.

Oh wow.. I had no idea that was listed as a feature! Wonder what is keeping them from implementing something like that? I'm not a videogame programmer but I cannot imagine it would take too long to figure that out?

Man it's depressing reading that UPDATE list. What a game GT6 could have been if they delivered on all of those things. Sadly there is no way in the world PD will deliver on half of them, even if there is a Spec 2.0 update. They might squeeze all of those features in if they spend another 5 years on GT6 but I have a feeling we'll see GT7 well before then.

Back