SpinTires - The Ultimate Off-Road Challenge (Demo)

• Thread starter digiprost
  • 278 comments
http://www.spintires.com/#!/demo (warning do NOT click "Download". Only click the "Mirror" option. If you click download you will get a bunch of spam and adware.)
đź‘Ť

Is there a big "DOWNLOAD" banner on the bottom of the page?

Choose one of the mirrors to download from.
Yes there was a large "Download" button to click on. So I did. Sounds like that was what I did wrong. Had no idea at all I was supposed to click "mirror". Shows how little I PC game. Which one should I download? Mirror 1,2, or 3?
Why would they even allow a spam link on their site while trying to allow people to play the demo?

Last edited:
I got the steam key as a backer, but didn't get a link to a survey.

Edit: it could just be that they made a survey to get peoples addresses, which i already gave in a survey a while back to get the tshirt.

Last edited:
I just want to confirm one more time that the previous link @The Stig Farmer posted does indeed have adware and spam if you click "Download". (warning do NOT click "Download". Only click the "Mirror" options. If you click download you WILL get a bunch of spam and adware on your pc.)
In fact some of it I cant even get off my pc now. :irked:

Other than dealing with that frustration, I finally had a chance to play the game last night for about 20 minutes. Had to play on the lower settings because the smaller pc I played on cant support the game in full settings. Overall it was quite fun. The jeep is very slow and very challenging. The other vehicle is just a beast. I will try to load this on my better pc and play in the full settings. Fun game. Not sure if there are objectives or goals but I had a good time just roaming around playing in mud.

No, the tech demo doesn't have objectives, other than trying not go get stuck permanently while having fun :P

That sucks @CAMAROBOY69, I noticed that link too. I'm used to seeing those kinds of ads anywhere a download is, its "Malvertising" which tries to trick you into thinking its what you're looking for. More info here , check it out and maybe there's something you can do.
I made a thread noting the problem on the official support forum.

Hey I was wondering If anyone wants to add me to their Steam friends list. I've only got 1 Buddy with a PC at the moment. Anyway it would be nice to have some more company online.

Let me know and I'll Send a pm with a link to add me.

Last edited:
Oh good lord this game is addictive. I've not been able to complete a single objective so far but I'll be damned if I'm letting the scenery beat me! :lol:

This ended badly:
yv0j.jpg

Don't reverse with a jackknifed trailer because you will roll... :dunce::lol: My MAZ is now sitting on its side at the sawmill and I can't be bothered to deploy the other MAZ to right it again.

To the trusty KrAZ, I'll have to do two trips this time but it's a damn-site quicker and easier to navigate the trees in it than the 8x8...

Hmm, I heard of this a little while back, didn't know it's been released. I enjoyed Euro Turck Simulator more than I expected so going to give the demo a quick bash. Downloading now!

@The Stig Farmer -- In my last gameplay session, after one too many river crossings in the UAZ 469 on "The Hill," I had 9 repair points left and one remaining cloaked area. I arrived at the cloak point from the wrong direction, with a considerable climb to be made, but it was clear of obstacles and I thought I could winch myself up a tree line on the side. The parking brake didn't hold on one of the winch-line swaps, allowing me to roll backwards into a tree and total the UAZ. I knew right away it was a bad place to be, but I attempted a rescue in the Ural 4320. After fixing the UAZ, I was making my exit in the Ural when this happened:

4320_oops.jpg

Now the UAZ is free, but it's going to be a difficult job getting the Ural back. I haven't retrieved the MAZ yet, which needs fuel, not just repair points like the UAZ could provide. I haven't unlocked the KrAZ either, which might also require fuel. For fuel delivery, all I have left are two ZiLs and the paper-mache KamAZ. It could become a long, roundabout process, but it's all the name of the game. :D

So far "The Hill" stage is my favorite , I've spent about 5 hours trying to complete the objective , uncloaked the whole map and was about half way to delivering the final load to the objective when I rolled ! I have spent all my other resources , all vehicles are either too damaged or out of fuel so it looks like I'm done :D

Absolutely loving this game , succeed or fail it's just great fun and the hours just fly by.

I've been trying to find other objectives to do since finishing the logging objective basically ends the map/session, after which you cant save or remove the objective complete image.

So I've been trying to rescue the locked trucks which are typically broken down, out of gas, or both. So I'll bring it repairs and fuel and try to get it out without a tow. I also do all of the driving, no fast travel / rescue to garage.
Its been fun so far but It'd be nice to have some more things to do.

I'm thinking that a connect the dots game using checkpoints would be fun, something that would be hard to finish without running out of gas or breaking your truck. It would work good if a friend could set your check points. You can actually see what they set but you have to check the map to see them (they're white).

So does anyone else have any made up games they've been doing?

I know just mudding around is fun too, which I do plenty of.

Is there no cockpit or bonnet view >> demo/full game?

No. If I recall correctly an interior view was one of the features Oovee would implement if they got enough donations from their Kickstarter campaign.

But FailRace on YouTube raised a question... what do people propose to improve the camera view? A traditional first-person and third-person view would be too limiting for the type of gameplay that signifies SpinTires. An entirely independent camera which you can fix and position yourself? That would be a good idea.

Is there no cockpit or bonnet view >> demo/full game?

Oovee has said they are working on improved camera and interiors. Heres a Q & A session with the Devs that addresses a lot of players questions, check it out.

This "feels' almost the same as screamer 4x4.

I haven't played that but just looking at pics of each game makes the differences apparent.

SpinTires looks a lot newer graphics wise, its terrain is more forested , the ground is deformable rocks can be moved ruts get deeper and deeper when driven on. There are winches, cranes, repair trucks, fuel trucks, logging objectives, and tons of mods.

The demo is definitely worth trying.

Last edited:
I'm sure the camera angles are intended to let you keep track of obstacles just ahead of the front wheels, and also watch what the wheels are doing, like a spotter for 4x4ing.

I wonder if people just aren't aware of the free look function (left click on the screen)? It's articulated in a slightly goofy way, as if the camera is attached to the truck by an invisible crane, but you can position it as a "roof cam" or get a better view of the righthand side.

Yeah I use the free aim camera from time to time, But that makes a total of 3 controllers being used to control everything in the game (mouse keyboard and gamepad). Its a good thing the games pace is so slow it doesn't matter too much.

I imagine they'll have some tweaks soon for the camera.

I haven't played that but just looking at pics of each game makes the differences apparent.

SpinTires looks a lot newer graphics wise, its terrain is more forested , the ground is deformable rocks can be moved ruts get deeper and deeper when driven on. There are winches, cranes, repair trucks, fuel trucks, logging objectives, and tons of mods.

The demo is definitely worth trying.
You don't understand. It doesn't look the same but it feels the same. I wasn't talking about the graphics at all. I still have screamer 4x4 and played it from time to time and the car's behaviour feels the same.

You don't understand. It doesn't look the same but it feels the same. I wasn't talking about the graphics at all. I still have screamer 4x4 and played it from time to time and the car's behaviour feels the same.

I understand perfectly well what you meant, I was simply pointing out the glaring differences. After watching some game play I can say these are very different games in terms of speed and terrain.

You said that you never played screamer 4x4. I did. And the cars feel the same. How they react etc... . As I said before, and I'm going to say it again, I wasn't talking about the graphics.

:)

You said that you never played screamer 4x4. I did. And the cars feel the same. How they react etc... . As I said before, and I'm going to say it again, I wasn't talking about the graphics.

:)

Well then I'll say it again I know full well YOU WEREN'T TALKING GRAPHICS!

I was simply giving out some info dude.

Last edited:
There's a bit of news on possible updates and changes like weather and new trucks, look here.

Ok I was too exited to read the article fully until now, this is simply a story with old news from the Q & A session that ended up as a transcript on reddit.

Last edited:

Yeah its a big improvement being able to use a wheel now. I no longer swerve from side to side on straight roads!

I found a good FFB feel by turning up the force feedback strength to 124% in the logitech profiler and lowering the damper and spring effect to 5 % (also in the profiler). This makes the wheel a lot heavier, out of the box its very light. I didn't play around with the setting much at all so I'm sure there's room for further improvement.

I'm a bit conflicted, on the one hand I love that is in the game now, but I would rate it poorly, maybe 4 out of 10. At least it doesn't feel like its going to destroy a wheel like Gran Turismo's rally mode can.

Overall it feels light and at times there's very little if any resistance (like when parked) and the depth or number of parameters that are input into the FFB seem fairly limited. There's no in game adjustments either so you'll have to adjust from your profiler.

With that said though I've thoroughly enjoyed it, especially with the FFB turned up to 124%, that made me sweat. Being able to shift with an actual shifter is also very nice along with having a gas and brake pedal that allow for much better controll.

I'm not sure if you'd still be into playing tonight, but I'd love to have some more folks on my friends list who at least play the game.

EDIT: I cant seem to find you on steam, Are you "Thekitten" on steam maybe? it looks like it might be but its hard to tell with steam.

Last edited:
Back