"Standards" the good, the bad and the ugly

• Thread starter bodger
  • 4,101 comments
I don't like the fact that none of the GC8 imprezas got remodeled, but I like that PD at least fixed the jagged textures on them. Here's my Type R Sti:
11407549176_61c4051416_b.jpg

11407547016_0a30029b29_b.jpg
tumblr_lltzgnHi5F1qzib3wo1_400.jpg

>quite a few standards get improved to near premium textures

>still complain about one car almost no one cares about nor uses

MbeUlLr.jpg

Hey guys, he's right. Let's not focus too much on a single car that looks like a turd. Let's focus on something else. Like hundreds of other cars that have not been improved.
As for the few improved standards, let's call them polished turds.

Last edited:
Subscribed. Are there any standards that have working reverse lights and wipers and aero kits like the Mazda MX-5? Been trying to find more for my collection

Finally! I have the GT6 and I bought the Mazda Protegé (I asked a photo for one week and nobody cares) and looks just a little better from the GT5 version.

Or maybe we call call them nice extras which supplement the premium list? No game is going to have a full list of 1,200 premium spec models for a while... By using upgraded standards we get cars that would otherwise have been deleted as they pass into history.

Or they could choose not to bite off more then they can chew if it looks half assed. I mean what a concept too bad the rest of the world has to live by it but not certain game devs that have legions of fans willing to fight hand over fist for PD to keep not giving us best quality work. :dopey:👍

They're too busy adding stitches to the seats of every 'premium' car to have time to revamp standards. A tragic mismanagement by Kaz, and it seems like he's in too deep to turn back now. Not even joking. Premium cockpits and interiors ruined this franchise.

Good: the Karmann Ghia looks good. Will post pics later this week in my gallery.

The Interesting: the FTO Super Touring Car has...well, it has PART of an interior. You can see some of the roll cage and make out the entire steering wheel, but...yeah. Fun car though. Used it to win the Apricot Hill Endurance. But, yeah. Just...you have to see the interior. It is almost as if someone simply didn't turn on the light in the interior.

The bad, very bad: Subaru Legacy 2.0GT spec.B
It looks like someone put wrong LOD model there. Regular model of Legacy is not that bad.

I identified 120 semi premium (without hideous textures) 👍

And I'm not finished
It's not just the texture quality. Cars from GT4 or that have been just barely touched up still have what is commonly called "baked shading". Baked shading are shadows, lighting effects, etc that are faked (or more commonly, precalculated) with textures instead of actually rendered in real-time with the game's 3d engine. Since those cars are from the PS2 era, they also typically have generally bad textures, with visibly dithered half tones and in general a "pixel painted" quality, but it's not always the case.

Other cars still have GT4 textures, but also have visible improvements in modeling or details (for example visible panel gaps) to some extent. They clearly have been retouched a way or another, but not as much as the best examples. How would you call these cars?

For me, there are 3 categories:

Premium
Semi-premium
Standard

A standard that has hideous textures isn't a semi-premium.
It must be (almost) perfect. For example, Mazda efini RX-7 ou Audi S4 isn't semi-premium but standard

Semi-standard or semi-semi-premium, it doesn't exist for me

I will show pictures later ;)

I don't think it's fair to put Standard cars straight from GT4/GTPSP (direct ports, for all intents and purposes) and retouched/cleaned Standard cars in the same category. Even just the addition of 3d (normal mapped?) panel gaps and cleaned edges boosts significantly their appearance during gameplay/photomode/replay.

Ruf is really good. If that's a semi-premium, then I think the BMW M4 is too. They both have premium-like exteriors, but no interiors.

The Good

The Bad

(Both the front and rear light clusters are now in a level of detail much lower than the rest of the car)

The Ugly

(and there isn't any paint that will mask over this issue, as it's just really poorly "drawn" all over)

Back