"Standards" the good, the bad and the ugly

• Thread starter bodger
  • 4,101 comments
He's either lying or blind.

I also like how he continues to talk about 'we' and 'us' instead of 'I'.
It amazes me that even those two standard cars in the photos, that look just as bad as the other ones, didn't get to him. It's mind boggling and funny at the same time.

Well I tried. :(

They do. It's called being a productive gaming developer and outsourcing.
Outsourcing is almost always more expensive, because the modeling shop has to make this thing called a profit. M$ has never released budget figures for forza games, which are the poster children of outsourcing. By the way, nice selective edit of my post to force a point that has nothing to do with mine.

He's either lying or blind.

I also like how he continues to talk about 'we' and 'us' instead of 'I'.
It amazes me that even those two standard cars in the photos, that look just as bad as the other ones, didn't get to him. It's mind boggling and funny at the same time.

Well I tried. :(
He can obviously tell, he chooses to pretend not to so as not to devalue his argument I guess.
You brain trusts are quite a piece of work, I must say.

Yes, I say "we" because in case you haven't noticed, I do get likes for my pro-Standard car posts. Some of "us" really do like them, and have said so more openly in the past. And I'm sure because of the peer pressure from you weight throwers, a lot of people keep quiet because... you know, otherwise you'll be accused of being blind, lying or stupid if you like the Standards.

I type what I mean , and I mean what I type, thank you.

Now I'm just going to ignore you two because you don't further any discussions, you don't try and actually contribute anything, all you do is criticize from looking at your posting histories.

Just because people like your posts it doesn't mean you can speak for them in anything you say.

As for the rest, if you REALLY, HONESTLY have to spend more than three seconds looking at this image to see the flaws in it then no, I don't suppose there is much point continuing the conversation until you get your eyes tested.

822986CircuitdeSpaFrancorchamps4.jpg

Saying you like standard cars in general is one thing, saying you can't see any flaws in them no matter what image you're presented with is quite another.

I'm pretty sure that this Renault doesn't look this bad when playing with it. It's not premium, but it used to be one of the good standards in GT5.

It looks like a picture taken from a LOD. I'll check.

Just because people like your posts it doesn't mean you can speak for them in anything you say.

As for the rest, if you REALLY, HONESTLY have to spend more than three seconds looking at this image to see the flaws in it then no, I don't suppose there is much point continuing the conversation until you get your eyes tested.

Saying you like standard cars in general is one thing, saying you can't see any flaws in them no matter what image you're presented with is quite another.
1. So you're saying that people Like posts that disagree with them? Sure, whatever.

2. "saying you can't see any flaws in them no matter what image you're presented with"... didn't EVEN say that. Didn't EVEN say that I can't tell the difference between that and a Prem.

Good. Day.

1. No, I'm saying someone liking your post doesn't automatically mean they agree with every part of your post and you can therefore include them in a 'we' statement in your posts.

2. As good as...

I did look very close at those images. In fact, I had to look VERY close to the Renault for quite a few seconds, as what was so devastatingly ugly wasn't all that apparent.

I highly agree with @Samus. Sorry @Tenacious D, but it's really hard to see one actually accept something this horrible. I know you don't like it, but it seems like you're forcing yourself to like it because PD and GT? Just look at the textures, there a nightmare, and to see them in GT7? No, just no.

You're cool and I respect you, but you also have to be honest with yourself as well. When flaws like this are shown, it can't continue to be given a free pass.

Nobody, but some people want them. That's why he said that.
They specifically want the standard cars do they want those cars that are currently standards? All I see going on here is a personal back and forth between a few members. Standards... seems that word is left out in the quality of not just cars in gt6, but the words in this thread.

Last edited:
1. So you're saying that people Like posts that disagree with them? Sure, whatever.

Honestly Tenacious I disagree with most of your pro-standard posts, but I like some of them anyway because in the past you've offered the most reasonable arguments for standard cars on GTP. I avoid standards like the plague in GT5 and 6, make no mistake that I never want to see them in Gran Turismo again. But while most standard advocates have no logical argument whatsoever and basically just whine about how I or somebody else "wants to take away their cars," you have your reasons and they're usually well explained.

So yeah, liking and disagreeing can happen ;)

They specifically want the standard cars do they want those cars that are currently standards? All I see going on here is a personal back and forth between a few members. Standards... seems that word is left out in the quality of not just cars in gt6, but the words in this thread.
You sure bout that?

Seems like not much wants the standard cars back in GT7, and they explain in good detail why.

You sure bout that?

Seems like not much wants the standard cars back in GT7, and they explain in good detail why.
You must have misread or misunderstood what I meant. "Standard" is the title of quality. People dont want "standard" quality cars. Not the cars themselves. If that were the case we would have no RUF, no Pescarolo, no roadcar Zonda etc.

You must have misread or misunderstood what I meant. "Standard" is the title of quality. People dont want "standard" quality cars. Not the cars themselves. If that were the case we would have no RUF, no Pescarolo, no roadcar Zonda etc.
Oh. Well I guess I have. :P However though, those RUF cars are updated and will only need interiors modelled. Those other cars you've mentioned can be chosen to be updated into premium models as well. If PD were smart enough. ;)

Yes, I say "we" because in case you haven't noticed, I do get likes for my pro-Standard car posts.

The pomposity on display here is astounding. You mean to say that I can speak on behalf of other members so long as they've liked a post of mine even slightly relating to the topic?

Some of "us" really do like them, and have said so more openly in the past. And I'm sure because of the peer pressure from you weight throwers, a lot of people keep quiet because... you know, otherwise you'll be accused of being blind, lying or stupid if you like the Standards.

I doubt many people care if you like Standards. People are commenting on the idea that some members (ie, you) would actually be okay with models as horribly out-of-date as the Renault Number or Toyota Number posted in this thread, showing up on the PS4, a solid two generations after the asset creation. Again, for demonstrative purposes:

That would, if PD decided to port it on over, be sharing space on track with something that would look, at the bare minimum, at least this good:

1363922908453-5.jpg

...and you, a self-professed artist (and a stickler for graphical shortcomings in games without the letters 'G' and 'T' on the tin, it should be noted) had to take more than an instant to see the problems there? Maybe you need to be at a higher vantage point. I'd say take the stairs so helpfully provided on the Renault's A-pillar, but they do look a little difficult to navigate...

I will have to say though that there are two possible outcomes with GT7, a game with upgraded Standards and a game with all Prems. Now, if one result happens, there will probably be some moping here but not much else. But if it goes the other way, some people here are going to be insufferable...

There's more than just two.

If standard cars had the same exterior quality as cars from say Need For Speed Rivals then I wouldnt care if they where in GT7.
They wouldn't be standards then, would they? Upgrading old PS2 assets to that level would be a waste of time, time better spent creating a new, detailed model from scratch.

Sometimes I get the feeling people actually think you could take a model like that Renault and just gradually tweak it until it's as good as a premium or in your example, this:

NFSRf12berlinetta.jpg

No, you can't. Or rather it'd be an extremely inefficient use of time.

Samus: That seems to be the general consensus amongst those with 3D modeling experience, but there has to be a reason PD have partially re-modeled the exteriors of some of them.

I don't believe Standards will carry over onto PS4, anyway. But then I didn't fully expect to see them in GT6, either. And I was one hoping they would be in GT5.

Latest Posts

Back