"Standards" the good, the bad and the ugly

• Thread starter bodger
  • 4,101 comments
Samus: That seems to be the general consensus amongst those with 3D modeling experience, but there has to be a reason PD have partially re-modeled the exteriors of some of them.

I don't believe Standards will carry over onto PS4, anyway. But then I didn't fully expect to see them in GT6, either. And I was one hoping they would be in GT5.

Haven't we been over the possible reasons gleamed from what Kaz has said or suggested it's not that big of a mystery.

I don't actually know!

It seems like a waste of effort to me, but then I don't know what PD are up to.

That's why I said we can only gleam, and I hope you didn't take my comment offensively. I'm just saying we've been over it there are threads currently talking about this and though I don't agree with the OP all the time, he does a great job showing the difference between then and now with cars and I think this thread should stay that way.

@diegorborges, nice find, original real-life car what PD used to model all Miatas :)

If they did, they did a poor job because this is what the Miatas look like:

rxfjuzq-jpg.94828

That's why I said we can only gleam, and I hope you didn't take my comment offensively. I'm just saying we've been over it there are threads currently talking about this and though I don't agree with the OP all the time, he does a great job showing the difference between then and now with cars and I think this thread should stay that way.
I'm not sure what you think I was suggesting. I like this thread, too.

I meant the partial remodeling of some of the exteriors seems like a waste of time, but we don't know what PD's goals are in that respect. Sure we can "glean" things, but I don't believe any discussion has actually elucidated anything satisfactory in that respect. It's all guess work, and none of it really makes total sense.

Unless you know better, of course, I'm willing to learn - that's why I said I don't know.

I'm not sure what you think I was suggesting. I like this thread, too.

I meant the partial remodeling of some of the exteriors seems like a waste of time, but we don't know what PD's goals are in that respect. Sure we can "glean" things, but I don't believe any discussion has actually elucidated anything satisfactory in that respect. It's all guess work, and none of it really makes total sense.

Unless you know better, of course, I'm willing to learn - that's why I said I don't know.

I know what you were suggesting I should have phrased my post better, the first sentence was meant for you the rest was just a general bit for the entire thread. Also I did say there were current threads that are discussing the topic of standards that I rather take that conversation to than this one that is really about posting the car pictures and showing differences.

I know what you were suggesting I should have phrased my post better, the first sentence was meant for you the rest was just a general bit for the entire thread. Also I did say there were current threads that are discussing the topic of standards that I rather take that conversation to than this one that is really about posting the car pictures and showing differences.

Help us all out and point me in the right direction, then, please. 👍
I think you'd have better served your purpose by not quoting me, ironically - that conversational thread was dead. Especially since you didn't actually say anything useful yourself.

Help us all out and point me in the right direction, then, please. 👍
I think you'd have better served your purpose by not quoting me, ironically - that conversational thread was dead. Especially since you didn't actually say anything useful yourself.

Help us all out? Most of the people I see talking here are there as well.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/im-thinking-about-standard-cars-in-gt7.305998/

How so, I'm just asking if we could get back to where this thread needs to be while at the same time agreeing with your quote. Not sure how that could be misunderstood after I tried to clear it up once and now a second time.

Help us all out? Most of the people I see talking here are there as well.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/im-thinking-about-standard-cars-in-gt7.305998/

How so, I'm just asking if we could get back to where this thread needs to be while at the same time agreeing with your quote. Not sure how that could be misunderstood after I tried to clear it up once and now a second time.

Oh, that. Thanks, I guess. I don't recall the "mystery" being "solved", there, though, so your point is doubly invalid.
Perhaps you mistook me for a "minnow". :rolleyes:

You must be a hit at parties.
I can see you telling everyone why they're wrong...

Considering that right around 20% of us in Samus' poll still want our Standard cars in GT7, if they would be offended if there was an install option to include them in the game. And then we were seen online racing them. Suppose they were banned. Would that be sensible?

Taking the semi-premium NA Miatas (only missing interior) as reference.

I'll say something that may look stupid: PD keep some cars as standards to help with the framerate.

See those NA Miatas... just paste the interior there and you're ready. Why not?

Considering that right around 20% of us in Samus' poll still want our Standard cars in GT7, if they would be offended if there was an install option to include them in the game. And then we were seen online racing them. Suppose they were banned. Would that be sensible?

Or they could just ignore the minority and not include them at all.

I could have used the entire exchange as a segue to point out that eran was taking issue with an obvious joke while simultaneously ignoring the fact that PD in fact did do a terrible job modeling the Miatas (since it is hard to accurately model a car as it was in real life when you effectively made it up); but I felt it prudent to not bother with something that would undoubtedly have been futile, instead commenting on his generally humorless disposition.

Thanks for bringing it back up so we could get that settled.

Last edited:
Oh, that. Thanks, I guess. I don't recall the "mystery" being "solved", there, though, so your point is doubly invalid.
Perhaps you mistook me for a "minnow". :rolleyes:

Did I call you a minnow? And I really wasn't trying to start an argument with you but obviously you have a chip on your shoulder and clearly don't like my attitude around here. Which is fine, the point is we have gone over this and if you can't use a search feature to find the threads, ones that you've been in then not sure what to tell you.

Other than PD have remodeled some exteriors because it is easier to do than modeling an entirely new premium version that by their claims takes quite some time. IF you haven't seen or read about it, or you're trying to get a rise out of me save your effort and try it in the thread I gave you and I'll be more and happy to have the conversation.

Did I call you a minnow? And I really wasn't trying to start an argument with you but obviously you have a chip on your shoulder and clearly don't like my attitude around here. Which is fine, the point is we have gone over this and if you can't use a search feature to find the threads, ones that you've been in then not sure what to tell you.

Other than PD have remodeled some exteriors because it is easier to do than modeling an entirely new premium version that by their claims takes quite some time. IF you haven't seen or read about it, or you're trying to get a rise out of me save your effort and try it in the thread I gave you and I'll be more and happy to have the conversation.
Nonsense. I read the entire thread you linked to and there is no satisfactory explanation for the "semi-premiums". It is less efficient to modify an existing mesh than it is to start again; which is the point Samus made, that I agreed with and you originally commented on as being "no mystery" as to why PD would do that anyway.

So we've come full circle; what now?

Nonsense. I read the entire thread you linked to and there is no satisfactory explanation for the "semi-premiums". It is less efficient to modify an existing mesh than it is to start again; which is the point @Samus made, that I agreed with and you originally commented on as being "no mystery".

So we've come full circle; what now?

I think you don't understand I agree with Samus as well and what I've said is that PD have given reasons why, and in the end the understanding is simple. They're too lazy to start from scratch because of the harm it might cause to the massive number of cars they can claim to offer. They don't seem to want to take an FM approach as of now, but maybe they will with GT7. You seem to think I'm defending PD/GT in this regard, which couldn't be further from reality.

Thus I'm confused what what game you're trying to get at other then what I said an you basically ignored in my last post.

I think you don't understand I agree with Samus as well and what I've said is that PD have given reasons why, and in the end the understanding is simple. They're too lazy to start from scratch because of the harm it might cause to the massive number of cars they can claim to offer. They don't seem to want to take an FM approach as of now, but maybe they will with GT7. You seem to think I'm defending PD/GT in this regard, which couldn't be further from reality.

Thus I'm confused what what game you're trying to get at other then what I said an you basically ignored in my last post.

That makes no sense, either - it is more efficient to start from scratch; therefore "laziness" dictates PD should start from scratch. Mystery not solved. The only comments PD made about it were regarding the split in quality / functionality between Standards and Premiums in GT5 being reduced in GT6. In hindsight, that implies this extraneous effort is purely for superficial reasons - they'd still have been better off starting from scratch.

My guess is it was an experiment; they perhaps expected it was less efficient, but they needed to quantify it to be sure. The results were then put to use regardless, and the meagre coverage of improvements perhaps informs us it was short-lived (implying their prejudice was right).

And, once again, I don't care about the "complainer" vs "apologist" battle. You brought the claim that it was no mystery.

That makes no sense, either - it is more efficient to start from scratch; therefore "laziness" dictates PD should start from scratch. Mystery not solved. The only comments PD made about it were regarding the split in quality / functionality between Standards and Premiums in GT5 being reduced in GT6. In hindsight, that implies this extraneous effort is purely for superficial reasons - they'd still have been better off starting from scratch.

That makes no sense to you, yes, but is a reasonable explanation when expanded. It also gives a healthy idea to why in two core titles it still has taken PD nearly 8-10 years plus to give a consistent across the board content rather than degrees of it. I'm sure they gave us more than the info you've suggested, also I gave you the superficial reason why they don't want to do premiums across the board.

My guess is it was an experiment; they perhaps expected it was less efficient, but they needed to quantify it to be sure. The results were then put to use regardless, and the meagre coverage of improvements perhaps informs us it was short-lived (implying their prejudice was right).

How does one need to quantify the way they've done it to be sure? On paper it makes no sense either, so you pour money into doing a minor update with the possible intention of doing a full update down the road? Why? And really the only reasons I come to is due to not wanting to put forth the effort because maybe they can patch it down the road like they've become some reliant on doing since GT5 and more importantly the capability the PS3 and last gen console provided with open internet access to do these type of things.

They could have possibly done this also because it was the easiest route in lieu to knowing that the PS4 detail would be so much finer than even the current Premium cars, that they would have to re detail them again. In other words it possible that the small details that stand out would have been enough to warrant even premium cars being redone again hence why conversation on such topics of time have been told to us by PD. Though I doubt it's this due to the supposed notions that quality of craftsmanship in graphics isn't that massive between the last and current gen.

And, once again, I don't care about the "complainer" vs "apologist" battle. You brought the claim that it was no mystery.

I didn't even see a once, forget about a reminder, and yes I brought a claim. Though just because I didn't want to have this unfold here (since people come here to see the good the bad and the ugly) doesn't mean I was reluctant to defend. Which seems to be the idea you had.

Back