Sticky G27 brake pedal - Fix or Replace?

• Thread starter Bigbazz
  • 8 comments
Wales
Wales
So for a while now I've not been able to play GT5 because the brake pedal on my G27 gets sticky and will come on and off slightly on its own while playing, that wasn't a big problem but now it has transfered over to other sims on the PC with me needing to go from 0 deadzone to as much as 10% deadzone to cover the issue.

Fact is that if it gets any worse I won't be able to play at all, and it's already a compromise.

1. Is there a way I can fix this? the wheel is less than 2 years old (and I had another before it for a few months) so I'm not sure if there is still a manufacturer warrenty.

2. Replace the pedals with something like Clubsports, i checked out the "perfect pedal" mod for the G27 and the price is ridiculously high. Question is, can I use the Clubsports as a direct replacement for the G27 pedals and use them with the PS3 with my G27 wheel? Or is it going to be restricted to the PC?

I want to be able to have the option to play GT5 with my wheel and GT6 in the future, and having to set 10% brake deadzone on the PC is hardly ideal so I need a solution.

It's probably just the potentiometer, try opening the pedals up, unplug the brake pedal and accelerator, swap the wires over and see if the brake still sticks when pressing the accelerator. If that fixes it you can try opening the pot and cleaning it with electrical contact cleaner, try and find a new pot (I've heard they're a specific type, not just a normal linear pot nor a logarithmic one), buy a used set of G27 pedals as a donor if you can get one cheap enough, buy an entirely different set of pedals or find an acceptably priced load cell mod... I think that covers all your options. There was a thread here about a site selling replacement G27 pots but someone received a set and they turned out to be wrong, I've also heard that Logitech has a spare parts shop on their site but I've never seen it.

If, however, swapping the pot doesn't fix the problem then it's a logic board or connection fault. I can't imagine that's what it would be, though, pots are way more likely to be the problem. You could try dusting and cleaning the pedal connector anyway, though.

I made a guide on cleaning G25/G27 pedal potentiometers.
Click on the picture to go to the thread ;) 👍

Having a look at that guide, I'm not sure if that is asking for trouble, such delicate parts to be taking apart to the point of prying apart the pots. I will have to have a think about this, because I could easily end up messing the whole thing up.

Could I swap my clutch's pot with the brake one? That might be more of a safe bet than me completely taking apart the pot.

I would first try getting some contact cleaner for electronics and spray the pots and work the pedals and spray again. That is often enough to get them clean.

So for a while now I've not been able to play GT5 because the brake pedal on my G27 gets sticky and will come on and off slightly on its own while playing, that wasn't a big problem but now it has transfered over to other sims on the PC with me needing to go from 0 deadzone to as much as 10% deadzone to cover the issue.

And I thought that the Logitech DFGT was the only wheel with this kind of issue. The problem is that the potentiometers have moved out of place slightly. At least on the DFGT, the pots are moved by a gearing system between the pedals and the device itself. I take the pedals out, reposition them so that they are in place properly, and put the pedal set back together.

Just posting here to say I have fixed the issue. I did it by taking apart the brake pedal and removing the spring and then putting in a bit of hose pipe that I cut from the hose in my back garden, put it into the red plastic large section and then popped the spring back in, used a screw driver to hold it in place (takes a lot more force now to get it back into place to screw the red part back to the metal frame) and then put it back together.

So now the pedal is a bit stiffer and the extra pressure properly pushes the pedal back out much harder, solving the issue of it rubbing on, also there is now a pleasant squish feeling just as the brake hits full pressure.

I can't take credit for the idea, I remember seeing it on a youtube video many months ago and just decided to jump the gun in a spur of the moment kinda thing. Thankfully it was very easy to do, didn't cause any issues and now my brake pedal actually feels better than before, it isn't overly stiff as I thought might have happened.

Definitely an improvement and a fix all in one!

Just posting here to say I have fixed the issue. I did it by taking apart the brake pedal and removing the spring and then putting in a bit of hose pipe that I cut from the hose in my back garden, put it into the red plastic large section and then popped the spring back in, used a screw driver to hold it in place (takes a lot more force now to get it back into place to screw the red part back to the metal frame) and then put it back together.

So now the pedal is a bit stiffer and the extra pressure properly pushes the pedal back out much harder, solving the issue of it rubbing on, also there is now a pleasant squish feeling just as the brake hits full pressure.

I can't take credit for the idea, I remember seeing it on a youtube video many months ago and just decided to jump the gun in a spur of the moment kinda thing. Thankfully it was very easy to do, didn't cause any issues and now my brake pedal actually feels better than before, it isn't overly stiff as I thought might have happened.

Definitely an improvement and a fix all in one!
It's a homemade version of the first nixim mod. I use the old nixim mod (just the rubber piece) over a year before finally getting a load cell.

Back