Super Smash Brothers for Wii U(NA: 21st November, EU: 28th November)/3DS(Out Now!)

• Thread starter Brend
  • 159 comments
Man, the Wii U version of the game looks superior in every way over the 3ds game. Got a feeling I wont really touch the portable one when it comes out. Smash Board looks fun.

I thought SSBB was stuffed with things...this one will be leaking from the confines of the disc! :) It's no wonder they're scrabbling to get it done and polished up to Nintendo standards. Lots of stuff to like in the Nintendo Direct, although I wish there was an Adventure Mode like in Melee (or similar to Smash Run). I want to try the Master Fortress.

@Classic -- At least you can download Mewtwo (and earn the soundtrack CDs). I never really used him, but I'm among a minority of Nintendo fans without a 3DS so I guess I'm out of luck if I did.

So I got my copy of Smash 3DS on Saturday, and I must say that this is hands down one of the greatest games I've played in years.

It runs smoother than butter, mechanically it's absolutely sublime, the fighting is really fun, there's tons of content and the Custom Fighter concept is well realized. No character feels really overpowered to me and that's a great thing, and there's lots of characters.

Sakurai and company did an amazing job on this game and I feel that the Wii U version, with more content and fun times, and 8 player Smash, will easily bring an already great game to a level of amazingness I've not seen in a while.

I mainly like to play Ness, Charizard and Captain Falcon because I find them really fun to play as.

The EU release date has been pushed ahead to the 28th November.

13_littlemac01.jpg

So hype.

Nintendo Direct tonight at 10PM(GMT), I imagine we will see the final 'newcomer' trailer for Duck Hunt Duo since it hasn't been shown off yet.

Ah I'll bet there will be at least one or two in 6 month's time. Once people figure out stuff, then we'll know for sure.
There don't seem to be any as powerful as last time's Meta Knight (who's been nerfed badly, of course). However I think some are touting Rosaluma as top tier for her space control. Naturally, I can't do a thing with her.
There's also the never ending stream of Little Macs on For Glory. But he is probably just a Skill Gate Character.

I'm disappointed in G&W, really. My preferred playstyle for most characters focuses on smashes mostly, and G&W had the most brutal trio by far in Brawl. However, they have been nerfed badly for 3DS. Instead, I find myself relying on his aerial game which thankfully is still fine. But it doesn't feel like my thing.

Having said that, I'm finally getting Palutena down properly - and she's very aerial reliant. Back aerial in particular is useful, and Explosive Flame is superb space control. I've averted from smashing with her in general because they always tend to come out as tilts which leave me open. Sans her mad up smash of course.

I'm trying not to get revved up about this yet because Toys R Us only decided to start processing my order today, so I'll have to wait until next week. Oh well, that's what we get for doing the Amiibo deal.

I asked for the Wii U version for Christmas, but I have enough money saved to buy it and I want it really bad now. Choices, choices...

My local independent games shop is selling smash on Tuesday rather than the conventional UK release date on friday. looks like Im getting the goodness sooner than I thought. :D

For my third go at the game I got into the Wii U version. Was a gathering so we had 8 people! But 2 decided they didn't feel like playing. :grumpy: The game is much better on the console, and I really excel with a controller I understand. Most potent with Yoshi or Palutena. My Brawl skills didn't transfer over with anyone! Only Yoshi... and I still can't rap my head around the 3DS controls for some reason.

Didn't really get to experience fighting with items or the special smash thing. They never turned that stuff on so maybe some other time. Hope to get the game sometime at my house for more fun. Really love it!

Rosalina Infinity

Zero Suit Infinity

I'm guessing those are "infinites" under the circumstance the opposing player doesn't do anything.

For Rosalina's move. I think you can DI out of it given you hit the buttons at the right time. As for ZSS, if you can't roll to get up, then I'm sure you can already have your shield up immediately after the wake up frames. A meaty attack shouldn't have higher priority over blocking.

But FG techy stuff aside, it'd be awesome if you guys who already have the game post some matches with each other. Do it enough and we can probably arrange a small competition among GTP.

I haven't played against anyone here yet; I completely avoided online play until I at least felt comfortable with Samus' tweaked moves and almost all of the stages. I still haven't tried For Glory, but I'm surprised by how well I've been doing in For Fun.

Anyway, I was curious how long we'd go before someone posted a comment. :)
Didn't really get to experience fighting with items or the special smash thing. They never turned that stuff on so maybe some other time.
You know, I've actually turned the item rate to Low in this game, and I find myself using and appreciating the Omega stages more than I expected. I've always used items throughout the series, and I am far removed from the stereotypical serious competitive Smash player, but the stage hazards and items can be brutal.

So I've been playing for a little more than a month now and I have settled on a few mains:

First go-to is Ness, this little guy and his Jean Shorts mean serious business and is ridiculous in good hands. Back throws are still king.

Second go-to is Ganondorf, I like how strong he is.

Third guy is Captain Falcon, I think he's really good off ledges with a great recovery.

I've been having a mid smash crisis having realized Little Mac is just too volatile.

Currently trying King Dedede and I like his power, although his maneuverability leaves something to be desired.

I've been having a mid smash crisis having realized Little Mac is just too volatile.

Currently trying King Dedede and I like his power, although his maneuverability leaves something to be desired.
I like Dedede. His Gordos are rather effective but if you're not careful they can be used against you by a good villager player or any character that can reflect large-ish projectiles. At close range I'm not a fan of his speed against faster characters, but his down smash is really good.

Man, this game is over-flowing with content. Just when I think I've done all the events more of them appear. :lol:

I'm guessing those are "infinites" under the circumstance the opposing player doesn't do anything.

For Rosalina's move. I think you can DI out of it given you hit the buttons at the right time. As for ZSS, if you can't roll to get up, then I'm sure you can already have your shield up immediately after the wake up frames. A meaty attack shouldn't have higher priority over blocking.

But FG techy stuff aside, it'd be awesome if you guys who already have the game post some matches with each other. Do it enough and we can probably arrange a small competition among GTP.
I haven't seen any in game action but everything is done in training. Make note that those were found within days of the first wave. If they made a patch already, its probably been dealt with correctly

Without a shadow of a doubt, 'Hungry Hungry Kirby' is the worst event in the entire game. I just hate when they try and do platforming challenges in Smash, the controls are absolutely atrocious for that sort of thing. Had to cut my losses and do it on Easy after an hour of trying.

While googling to see if "Hungry Hungry Kirby" is the European name for a differently-named event in the NTSC version (it is), Google returned a tip that you could try if you haven't already, @Classic. Kirby's inhale special heals more % than picking up food, and if you copy King DeDeDe's inhale special, it heals for even more. I gave it a shot, but it's still too much for me, at least for now!

In terms of platforming, the Smash series basically plays like a modified Kirby game. I was always fond of the platforming challenges; I wish SSB4 had something like Adventure Mode or Subspace Emissary, and one of my goals in this game is to beat the Master Fortress. However, The Great Cave Offensive and similar stages are a real stretch in standard definition. Of all the HD games I've played, SSB4 is the most convincing argument in favor of an upgrade to an HDTV...

Has anyone beaten Classic on 9.0 without customs on the Wii U version? I managed to do it last night with Luigi. Frustration was setting in, since I went from losing at the Master Core battle to losing fights against the other characters prior. However, I decided to use my frustration to play more aggressively and I oddly started doing better once I began actively hunting down my opponents. That, along with memorizing Master Core's attacks after being defeated by it many times in the past was enough to get me to the end. Anger was a good thing in this situation. :lol:

One day, I'll attempt 9.0 without dying, but man, I need a break from Classic Mode after what I went through.

@Wolfe: I used to think Master Fortress was really unfair because of the areas that can instantly kill you at 100% or higher but now I find it the easiest part of the Master Core battle.

The most important thing to do is to kill any enemies that get in your way. They are what make the Master Fortress seem tough.The Stalfos (enemies with swords and shields) can be grabbed, so just throw them out of the way, or even better, into the acid to get rid of them. There are also floating purple orbs that can shoot swords at you, so watch out for them. The most dangerous enemies though are the flower-like creatures that shoot lasers. If you see one, kill it ASAP because once they're out of the way, Master Fortress becomes significantly less threatening since they won't be able to bounce you around like a pinball. And keep in mind that when attacking the second and fourth hearts, enemies can respawn. But if you're quick enough, the respawning enemies won't be able to do much before you finally destroy the hearts.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Has anyone beaten Classic on 9.0 without customs on the Wii U version? I managed to do it last night with Luigi. Frustration was setting in, since I went from losing at the Master Core battle to losing fights against the other characters prior. However, I decided to use my frustration to play more aggressively and I oddly started doing better once I began actively hunting down my opponents. That, along with memorizing Master Core's attacks after being defeated by it many times in the past was enough to get me to the end. Anger was a good thing in this situation. :lol:

One day, I'll attempt 9.0 without dying, but man, I need a break from Classic Mode after what I went through.

@Wolfe: I used to think Master Fortress was really unfair because of the areas that can instantly kill you at 100% or higher but now I find it the easiest part of the Master Core battle.

The most important thing to do is to kill any enemies that get in your way. They are what make the Master Fortress seem tough.The Stalfos (enemies with swords and shields) can be grabbed, so just throw them out of the way, or even better, into the acid to get rid of them. There are also floating purple orbs that can shoot swords at you, so watch out for them. The most dangerous enemies though are the flower-like creatures that shoot lasers. If you see one, kill it ASAP because once they're out of the way, Master Fortress becomes significantly less threatening since they won't be able to bounce you around like a pinball. And keep in mind that when attacking the second and fourth hearts, enemies can respawn. But if you're quick enough, the respawning enemies won't be able to do much before you finally destroy the hearts.

Good luck!
Well played! :D I'm still working my way through the challenges(done 65 so far), so I haven't tried Classic at full difficulty yet. I will get there eventually however.

'Call it the Nintendo touch - the fourth entry in the Smash Bros. series is a true technical milestone for both of the Kyoto giant's leading platforms.'
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-vs-super-smash-bros-wii-u-3ds

@Master Weasel -- I haven't made it to Master Fortress yet, so I appreciate the pointers! :) I made it to Master Edges on 8.0 once, but I'd never faced Master Giant before, so not only were his attacks totally unfamiliar but he also used up one of my -0.5 continues. I had also wasted my other -0.5 continue in an earlier round (I began at 9.0), so I ought to have a better shot if I try again.

Giving the Level 9 CPUs control over a full match of miis is intensely satisfying. Permission to use everyone on Wii U's miis? :P

@Master Weasel -- I haven't made it to Master Fortress yet, so I appreciate the pointers! :) I made it to Master Edges on 8.0 once, but I'd never faced Master Giant before, so not only were his attacks totally unfamiliar but he also used up one of my -0.5 continues. I had also wasted my other -0.5 continue in an earlier round (I began at 9.0), so I ought to have a better shot if I try again.

Yeah, Master Giant is a pain. The hardest form, in my opinion, with Master Edges right behind it. But I'm glad that it's first on the harder difficulties so you can get it out of the way.

@Classic: You can use mine.

Back