The Crew: Wild Run Edition

United States
Seattle, WA
A few months ago rumors were circulating about an upcoming new racing game IP from a new studio, Ivory Tower. See this thread here.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=278251&highlight=ivory+tower

The rumor mill is active once again, this time it appears Reflections is also working on this Racing title, which is said to be a racing sim, possibly aiming to compete with the Forza and Gran Turismo series, a joint partnership between Ubisoft, Reflections and Ivory Tower.

Driver: San Francisco dev reportedly working on a racing game called The Crew

Driver: San Francisco developer Ubisoft Reflections is reportedly working on a racing game called The Crew, according to The Examiner.

The Newcastle developer is one of the many Ubisoft studios helping to create Watch Dogs, due out later this year, but a portion of the team has been free to work on a new IP.

The Crew may be a co-production between Reflections and Ivory Tower, the Lyon, France-based studio made up of staff who worked on Need for Speed, V-Rally and more recently Test Drive Unlimited while at the now shuttered Eden Games. Ivory Tower is confirmed to have secured an exclusive partnership with Ubisoft to publish its next game, which is expected to launch on current-gen and next-generation consoles as well as PC.

Managing director of Reflections Pauline Jacquey told Eurogamer at the recent Game Horizon conference that its next game will be announced at E3 in June. Other Ubisoft games set to make an appearance at E3 include Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag, Rayman Legends, South Park: The Stick of Truth, Splinter Cell: Blacklist and Watch Dogs.

A Ubisoft spokesperson told Eurogamer it does not comment on rumour and speculation.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-29-driver-san-francisco-dev-reportedly-working-on-a-racing-game-called-the-crew

More here (translated page)

http://www.gamereactor.se/nyheter/107401/Ubisoft+g

Ubisoft makes simulator racing?

Ubisoft Reflections ( Driver: San Francisco ) said according to a rumor from the Examiner to work on a new racing game called The Crew . The idea is to focus on realism and hence is of course intended to go up against Forza Motorsport 5 and Gran Turismo 6 . The Crew will reportedly be released for PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and the two faithful servants Playstation 3 and Xbox 360.

Ubisoft Reflections is working as familiar even on Watchdogs , but has previously confirmed that they're working on a game. If you agree, maybe that means we can look forward to extra good car physics in Watchdogs .

The Ivory Tower, founded by parts from Test Drive Unlimited team, said to be involved in the development of The Crew , which we will certainly hear more about at E3.

Few months old concept image of what is said to be the game The Crew

ubisoftgorsimulator_racing_803171b.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds interesting so I'll be keeping my eye out for this. The Crew makes it sound like an underground Fast & Furious style game.

I expect something Grid like, but with a very own style and some strange features. The name leads to think of a multilayered gameplay, unlike the ego way/focus normal racers have.

Yeah it seems stupid to say it but the title isn't filling me with confidence.
Well, if they go a consequent way and try to make it a round experience rather than filling it with a bit of everything, I can image it to be a welcome diversion. But it would need to be a clear differentiation from regular titles and, I hate to say it, a semi-realistic driving model.

Yeah it seems stupid to say it but the title isn't filling me with confidence.
My thoughts exactly. Hopefully it's executed well enught to get me interested in it.

Yes, but the name would go from uncool to kitsch cool in a heartbeat if the soundtrack was handled by "The Crue".

I have a soft spot for the Reflections name, owing to their work with Destruction Derby 2.

Last edited:
You guys have no idea how hard it is to come up with a great racing game name that isnt blocked by a previous game or some sort of racing/tuning company. The members at the WMD/Project Cars forum tried to come up with a cool alternative name... 1 year ago or so and Project Cars is still by far the best one still available. See?! :D

I don't know, Assetto Corsa is a pretty good name. Ubisoft could always go with "Project Forza Turismo Shift: Gotham Midnight Grid Unleashed Club Challenge".

Driver: San Francisco was pretty good, but not particularly realistic and I think the thing that made it really interesting was the teleporting gimmick, which would be somewhat out of place in a simcade. I don't know the names of any of the staff but it's hard to imagine a new studio and Reflections, who as far as I know have never made even an authentically handling racing game (let alone realistic or sim), will nail the physics to the extent of Forza, GT or even Grid or Shift in one take, but I have been wrong before. Once.

So I guess I'll keep an eye on this but with muted expectations until I know more about what their aims are.

Ubisoft Reflections' next game has had some details leaked ahead of a possible E3 2013 reveal.

Now more details on the game have been revealed from a playtester who has released his impressions of the game.

• The Crew is expected to play similar to Ubisoft Reflections most recent racer Driver: San Francisco, with a semi-arcade style of racing.

• As with Driver: San Francisco, The Crew will be open world with the ability to travel between New York City and Los Angeles, though the scale of these cities has been reduced.

• It is not clear whether you will travel through wilderness to reach each city or whether the game will simply load in each area.

• The Crew will also feature a similar 'Google Maps' style mechanic, presumably for navigating the open world.

• A 'Freeride' mode will be available too, which the option to choose between missions or challenges.

• Multiplayer will feature 8 players in either competitive or co-operative gameplay, though no more specific details were provided.

• As is the case with Ubisoft's Watch Dogs - and presumably many of the publisher's next-gen games - The Crew will come with a companion app for mobile devices.

It is presumed that The Crew's release date will be before the end of 2013, presumably to tie into a next-gen release. With such a close release date, it's safe to assume The Crew will be announced at E3 2013.

Source

Thank you Scuderia Paul,

That information clears up a good number of speculation about the game. My guess is that the details were purposely leaked for a reason, most notably to shoot down the Sim Racer rumor.

I was hoping for more of an Open World Racer instead of an action-oriented racer with a free roam mode. I'm sure it will still be a fun game, but not exactly what I was hoping for. As for sim racers, we already have enough of them on the market as stands.

Sounds interesting, I guess it's going to stack up with Forza Horizon and NFS: MW/Burnout Paradise more than anything, and that's fine by me because I had a lot of fun with them.

I was getting excited when it was rumored to be a sim, but possibly not just boring race tracks, maybe open world or something exciting. It could be good still though, driver games usually have fairly decent handling for the type of game it is.

I wouldn't have thought so, that was a story mechanic, they just said it'll use the same driving style/physics.

Shame really,but the driving style is realitvely good -ish so lets see what they have in store.

Not a sim? It must be rubbish :yuck:

I too tire of that kind of attitude. If all of us sim peeps could grow up and admit we're not grown ups, we'd be better off. Developers seem to be loathe to use the A word, when I think they should embrace it, and commit to it. However, we make arcade a dirty word by equating it to poor handling and lack of road feel.

I do wonder if the ffb in arcade games tends to be poor or nonexistent due to the notion that the general sim rig owner will thumb their nose at their game anyway. So why bother in that case?

Not long ago I went back to Gti Club+ on PS3 (after originally trying it without a wheel) and the game has reasonable ffb with the right settings, and is a blast to play. I would love to devour more arcade stuff if it was actually.... well.... like the arcade.

Last edited:
So it's a cop chase game. My interest instantly wanes but holy mother of jesus, that looks stunning, even if it is a render.

If it's anywhere near as good as Driver: SF was, I'm all over it for sure.

That was the impression I got. That it'll essentially feel and look like a more polished version Driver: SF with a much larger area to explore. For a map that's roughly 300mi² in size, the range locations, cities, landscapes and terrain in what's basically a mini-United States is great.

Back