The Crew: Wild Run Edition

Overall the beta is pretty good đź‘Ť A lot of content for just a beta, with plenty of events, challenges, customization, etc. I played for a couple hours last night and there is still a lot of stuff I've yet to complete. I'm lucky I got in early as I'll actually have the time to experience everything the beta has to offer before it ends. There are a lot of bugs and various things that need to be polished, but that's to be expected.

How are the physics? It looked really off (for lack of a better word) in previous videos.
While I haven't played enough to form a solid opinion on it yet, I think the physics are pretty good overall. I've been playing on hardcore settings (all aids off) with a G27. The cars have a "simcade" feel which is what I expected it would be. The cars are fastest with a "grip" driving style from my experience, you'll be slower if you try to powerslide through every corner. However, the handbrake does come in handy for maneuvering through tight city streets and for whipping around the odd hairpin.

There are a few things about the physics in particular that I like. Curbs will actually send you flying if you're not careful, which makes city driving much more interesting (although I bet the offroad spec vehicles won't have this problem). Also, nitrous will cause loads of wheel spin even at higher speeds (at least on the street spec vehicles), and thus it rewards intelligent usage rather than just smashing the nitro button mindlessly. Use it incorrectly and you'll just spin you're tires while making little progress.

Some people on the private closed beta forums are complaining that the cars are too floaty at high speed. I find that they are a little floaty, but they are making it out like the cars are impossible to control which I cannot agree with. However I'm pretty adaptable when it comes to physics in racing games so my opinion is probably skewed. I rarely find a game that I completely hate physics wise (I even enjoyed GRID 2's ridiculous handling to a certain extent).

Last edited:
I'm downloading it now. I'm surprised that out of all the download clients in all the world, uPlay is the one to implement the 'play before you've even finished downloading' feature.

There's one thing I already noticed: Aliasing persists even with 8x MSAA. I'm sure this'll be fixed by launch, though. The game also doesn't like Chrome open.

Uplay is absolute 🤬.

I left it downloading the full beta (mind you, it had already a playable part), and then the DL got halfway, my screen was in 480p mode and I had to reboot (never had this happened before and most of the times I got my computer on all day), came back, just half way there and is just throwing me up the f:censored:ng wall now.

Enough with that, the game itself is ... somewhat interesting, street cars feel a lot like Driver:SF, is not bad but is not simulation either. Off-roading seems to be the main thing, best moments of the game was the opening escaping from the cops, the scenarios are very rich, lots of objects and it feels really alive sometimes. I quite like some small touches like muscle cars locking up when braking, the feel of the cars is decent, but is sadly not as good as other games I have played recently (namely Horizon 1).

I can enjoy the game more, but is the f:censored:ing uplay that is really spoiling it for me, can't use my DS4 because the program have randomly freezes (which is Uplay's fault, this 🤬 doesn't even happen with Origin, or The Crew itself), bad downloading set up, truly awful loading times (even on SSD), random crashes (The Crew is a beta and the DRM crash more than it), and so on.

If I get convinced about this game I'm just getting it on PS4, not worth getting through all this BS just to play it on PC.

Wow. I haven't had that many problems with U-play (probably because I don't play Watch Dogs that often, the only Ubisoft game I have atm). I wonder if this'll be fixed before release.

As sad as it sounds, yes it looks like quite a few people don't mind poor quality interiors in GT7. :indiff:

170 people 22.7% here
426 people 56.9% here
There are more in the GT7 forum.

Oh well I still think the Crew interior looks pretty dang good. The audio is very impressive in The Crew.

On a side note, did anyone notice that New York is in a really strange place compared to real life? Its all the way on the East coast. The other cities are quite close to their real life location, just New York is way off. Well I guess San Francisco is a bit north of where it should be. It will be interesting to drive near my house and see if the light house is there. I know I saw a light house in one of the videos that looks almost exactly the same as the one by my house.
The second poll doesn't mean more people want standards, it means they will buy the game anyway regardless.

Moving on, pikes peak

Yay!

upload_2014-7-23_13-53-46-png.191063

The Crew isn't getting a PS3 release, so it definitely won't be getting a PS3 beta. The game is only being released on PC, PS4, and Xbox One.

Oh well I'm hoping to get a PS4 sometime soon so....

One thing I noticed is that The Crew has good wheel support on PC; H-shifter, clutch, force feedback and all that. Are there even any wheels for current-gen consoles? I can't imagine they'd put that work in solely for the PC version given their track record.

Edit: Oh yeah, it's a pretty good game, too. Some weirdness but on the whole it's like a better TDU2. The physics are better than any racing game I can think of that isn't track-oriented, but they confuse me because some things are accurate while other things aren't; you can't kick the clutch mid-corner to make the car drift and engine braking works like it does in GT6 (shifting down when at the top of the gear you were in just makes your engine redline and the car slows down without locking the wheels), but other things feel more realistic than basically any other open-world game I've played.

But yeah. The plot, the unskippable cutscenes - WHY. WHY can't we just have a racing game that just gives you a car and tells you to get lost?

Oh great, now I can't get back into the game. I press any key, press start game, loading data, black screen. Ugh.

I'm thinking launch day for this title is going to be a disaster, but hopefully I'll be wrong.
Agreed.

And judging by the structure of the game, I hardly see the need of being an MMO other than to populate with more advanced AI. The game works fine as a cruising game, but being dependable on internet connexion compromises an individual experience.

Played 4 hours, not racing but driving around, went from Detroit to Pikes peak, from there to Laguna Seca (which feels very NFSU2 closed circuit), from there to SF, from SF to Seattle, from Seattle to Florida keys and I'm there. Is nice to see the changes, also the intermediate cities and how each one has it's own individual style and feel, then I was thrown out of the experience by someone yelling in the "public" voice chat, by which time I only met 2 players who didn't even bother coming close or saying hello.

I love the cruising aspect of it, and I don't mind an offline mode, the game crashed twice and stopped there, but I want to keep playing just to see more cities, I saw just very small parts of Miami, New Orleans and Dallas and kept wanting for more, so it kinda comes together with the size and variety, but it gets a bit broken by the MP aspect.

Great game, such a shame about the online aspect.

Back