The Crew: Wild Run Edition

I'm beyond pumped for this game, the customization/general idea of the game is great and I don't have a single doubt this will be one of the best games if not the best game of 2014.

The physics are what most worries me. I'm not asking it to be a sim, but an arcade physics has to be engaging and fun to drive. There's no point having a lively world and heaps of things to do if the driving model isn't enjoyable.

Burnout Paradise and NFS Most Wanted 2012 has some of the best arcade physics I've ever driven. The handling is intuitive and forgiving but every car has enough depth to be different and has their own quirks at the limit. Also, the sense of weight and tire friction is great. It's basically like sim physics with grip multiplier.

Fuel, NFS Hot Pursuit 2010 and TDU1 has some of the worst. The cars just felt stiff and understeer all the time unless you use the e-brake. There's little difference between the cars and the sense of weight is horrible. You just feel like floating across the road. Even though the game is fun and environments beautiful, I just cannot enjoy playing it because of the handling.

Probably the best comparison would be Driver SF as it's made by the same people, but I haven't played that game so I don't know.

For people who have played the beta, which of the above games does The Crew's handling feels closest to?

For people who have played the beta, which of the above games does The Crew's handling felt closest to?

I have played Driver SF but haven't really played around with the physics too much. But I'd say The Crew is closer to Driver SF than it is to NFS or Burnout.

I have played Driver SF but haven't really played around with the physics too much. But I'd say The Crew is closer to Driver SF than it is to NFS or Burnout.

I enjoyed Driver SF's physics tbh, speaking of that would love to see some GTP guys revive the MP of that game, Driver was one of the first games I ever played as a kid, and SF is a great game 👍

Yeah, I've had a lot of fun in Driver SF. Basing this game on that has done it no harm.

Another question: are the performance packs progressive, or does the lower tier packs have advantages in other areas compared to the higher tier packs?

In my mind it goes like this (worst-best):
Off road: Stock < Dirt < Raid
On road: Stock < Street < Performance < Circuit

So once you unlock Raid pack, Dirt pack is redundant. Or does Dirt pack have some advantages that Raid pack doesn't have (besides an event that specifies you to use a certain pack)?

NFS Most Wanted 2012 has some of the best arcade physics I've ever driven.
I don't have a problem with the actual physics in MW, but the way they slowed down the steering made the handling really frustrating for me.

The game radically limits how fast the the wheels can pivot, so you can turn the analog all the way left and right and back to center to avoid a collision, but in-game, the steering hardly pivots at all before going back to center, and you slam right into the truck you were trying to swerve around...

Does anyone know for sure what the different steering setting actually mean? Sensitivity and dead zone are kind of obvious, but what about speed factor and linearity? I was never 100% sure what either of those actually did.

Does anyone know for sure what the different steering setting actually mean? Sensitivity and dead zone are kind of obvious, but what about speed factor and linearity? I was never 100% sure what either of those actually did.
I wondered the same thing, but I don't think anyone ever gave me a good answer. My guess is that the speed factor makes the steering quicker when the car is at higher speeds. Linearity is a bit harder to guess.

When I played the beta, I just turned them all the way up and the handling felt better to me. I have no idea which one made the biggest difference because I did them all at once. :P

The trailers for this game at the last E3 or whereever it was got me moderately hyped. I'll most likely get this game if it gets generally favourable reviews.

I don't have a problem with the actual physics in MW, but the way they slowed down the steering made the handling really frustrating for me.

The game radically limits how fast the the wheels can pivot, so you can turn the analog all the way left and right and back to center to avoid a collision, but in-game, the steering hardly pivots at all before going back to center, and you slam right into the truck you were trying to swerve around...

That did irk me a bit when I first got the game. But with time I just got used to it 👍 Unlike Hot Pursuit where even after beating the game 100% I'm still not fully comfortable with pointing the car where I want it to go.

I wondered the same thing, but I don't think anyone ever gave me a good answer. My guess is that the speed factor makes the steering quicker when the car is at higher speeds. Linearity is a bit harder to guess.

When I played the beta, I just turned them all the way up and the handling felt better to me. I have no idea which one made the biggest difference because I did them all at once. :P
Hopefully they make this sort of stuff clearer on release :/

With Driveclub being out now, can someone who played the Crew beta compare how similar or different the physics are?

It's a day or two shorter than the last beta, they will need the time to implement any changes (if needed) after the beta is over. The game releases on December 2nd, that's not much time for any fixes if they are needed. Let's hope the beta goes smoothly or the game could be pushed back again.

So... I was already fully sold, and deeply in love with this game just from playing the beta once. Ive been spending most evenings watching road-trip gameplay videos on YouTube with my jaw dropped, just taking in the sheer size and detail of the map.

Just now, one such video revealed to me that Laguna Seca is modeled in the game. Laguna has been my favorite racetrack pretty much since I met it on GT3. I'm nearly crying right now.

4339143+_216d1f42325867bc1346127b8becfb02.png
pre-order confirmed

So... I was already fully sold, and deeply in love with this game just from playing the beta once. Ive been spending most evenings watching road-trip gameplay videos on YouTube with my jaw dropped, just taking in the sheer size and detail of the map.

Just now, one such video revealed to me that Laguna Seca is modeled in the game. Laguna has been my favorite racetrack pretty much since I met it on GT3. I'm nearly crying right now.

pre-order confirmed

Not to burst your bubble, but it won't look anything like the track you've grown to love.

It still won't make me cancel a pre-order though, as the game is amazing enough on its own. Just..uh...treat the real life tracks as a completely new track instead of a rendition of their real life counterparts :lol:

I think the most fun you will have in the game will be racing friends across the country. Start from NYC and race to LA without using the map or GPS is really fun. It'll be even more fun if you pick small towns or landmarks. I'm really hyped up for this game :lol:

Congrats!

Also, anyone who had access and activated their key in the last console beta will have automatic access to the next console beta.
Is this true? I never deleted the previous beta from my system just in the slim chance something like that would be possible.

Is this true? I never deleted the previous beta from my system just in the slim chance something like that would be possible.

Sure is:

http://thecrew-game.ubi.com/portal/....aspx?c=tcm:152-182099-16&ct=tcm:148-76770-32

I was able to play the technical Console Beta back in October. Will I have access to the Nov 6 – 10 console beta?
Yes, provided that you successfully downloaded and participated in the previous, technical Console Beta, you will have automatic access into this Console Closed Beta period as well.

You can also get a console beta key by preordering as well.

Back