The damage system in GT5 (update : Mechanical Damage arrived only for online races)

• Thread starter DoctorFouad
  • 1,071 comments
It would suck for someone picking up the game for the first time.
Gamers like to be rewarded and have a sense of periodic accomplishment.
It wouldn't make sense to have that kind of penalization from the start.

Introducing this system incrementally follows suit with the licenses and a-spec level rewarding you with more challenging content.

Why not have an option to turn it off then, like most games.
Why penalize someone for others.

juhaniman - if thats the case, why does NFS destroy the cars? or Forza?

I have Forza 2 & 3 and a few of the new NFSs. They certainly do not have realistic damage for the same reasons. They do have damage (as does GT5) but it's limited.

Mechanical damage, however, is not (as far as I know... and hope!) limited by these restrictions and I certainly hope the guys at PD have implemented a proper mechanical damage system. :dopey:

The damage in GT will NOT be realistic due to strict limitations set by the car manufacturers.

If GT5 didn't have real licensed cars, Polyphony Digital could well have done damage similar to that of Burnout Paradise, or better. :)

I don't know how the mechanical damage will turn out but the visual kind just isn't going to be realistic. Period.

It depends. The most anyone ever squeezed out of car manufacturers is Blur, as far as I know - they got a whole bunch of stuff that is usually off-limits for racing games, with officially licensed cars. They just asked nicely, or so they said.

It is usually a nightmare though. For some manufacturers you need - literally - every single damage bump and its location and extent approved by head office, and almost no car manufacturer will ever give permission to show anything more than any other one has allowed. So they are usually held back by the most timid car maker out of all of them if they want to keep it consistent.

I have Forza 2 & 3 and a few of the new NFSs. They certainly do not have realistic damage for the same reasons. They do have damage (as does GT5) but it's limited.

Mechanical damage, however, is not (as far as I know... and hope!) limited by these restrictions and I certainly hope the guys at PD have implemented a proper mechanical damage system. :dopey:

looks a bit better than gt5 tho.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSxNFvvF38A

I don't know what to think of damage anymore. Mechanical damage is a must, but what's going on with visual damage? We haven't seen scratches or parts falling off, or basically any sign of mechanical damage. Is it possible that they scrapped some features of the damage model?

I mean it clearly states on the official site: dents, scratches, parts falling off, along with mechanical damage... And I'm not bothered by the level of visual damage, Infact I'm very happy about it but what we have seen so far doesn't match what it says on the official site.

damage on all cars, players and AI.

Can't find the link to vid (so much junk on the forum has hidden it) but you may remember it and can go find it for me?

Nurb ring mecedes test, driving a vintage SL300 gullwing. players car gets caught of guard and rams into back of a "standard" merc saloon in front. Playters car has the front bumper damaged on the front left as can be seen on the vid at the end in photomode, standard car has rear bumper stoaved in AND the center of it's number plate falls off.....this is seen more clearly in the replay of the race in the later half of the video.👍

Anyone remember watching it and can post a link? much kudos.

I don't know what to think of damage anymore. Mechanical damage is a must, but what's going on with visual damage? We haven't seen scratches or parts falling off, or basically any sign of mechanical damage. Is it possible that they scrapped some features of the damage model?

I mean it clearly states on the official site: dents, scratches, parts falling off, along with mechanical damage... And I'm not bothered by the level of visual damage, Infact I'm very happy about it but what we have seen so far doesn't match what it says on the official site.

What he said.^^
+Top Gear preview talks about massive crash with parts flying all over the track and so forth... I really don't know what to think.

looks a bit better than gt5 tho.

True. But it still is rather limited, considering it's made by the same guys that made Burnout Paradise (and that's because they are actual licensed cars, not fictional!).

Anyway, I'll be spending most of my time on track, not analyzing the damage in a ditch somewhere. :lol:

I personally think this is a step in the right direction for the GT series. I can only presume damage system can be very complex to implement, even if there is no mechanical damage, they still have a base to work on and evolve the system fully in time for GT6.

Well theres a trophy where u have to get part to fall off so that thing is in.

Last edited:
Hey guys i think the problems are licenses
if you watch the blue WRC subaru video then you will see that the damage is awesome
the door is flying up the whole damage is really awesome
but some car companies don't want it that are the license problems , they have nothing to do with PD , PD did a awesome job ( watch the WRC subaru ) ....

Hey guys i think the problems are licenses
if you watch the blue WRC subaru video then you will see that the damage is awesome
the door is flying up the whole damage is really awesome
but some car companies don't want it that are the license problems , they have nothing to do with PD , PD did a awesome job ( watch the WRC subaru ) ....

I dont know about that. Forza 3 for example has many of these same manufacturers, and the damage in that game is pretty serious. You can completely brake a car down in many ways, and all 450+ cars in that game have full physical and mechanical damage.

I just have a feeling that damage wasnt added to this game until late in the process. I specifically remember just 2 years ago or so they confirmed damage was NOT in GT5. Remember that? Then like a year later it was confirmed to be in, so its probably just tacked on. For a game that actually claims to be a sim, this is pretty unacceptable though. This game isnt really a sim, not like the sims you would play on the PC.

At 2:45 onwards lead car has a tyre rub on the bodywork causing tyre smoke
The first indication of damage leading to mechanical issues.
I read that you can get punctures?

Anyway it seems all the good stuff is tucked away somewhere. It's like a switch will happen and cars can become more damaged, get airbourne and roll over etc - lets hope so...

some guys are asking some questions (mechanical issues....)
here is the answer (first page lol )

IMO GT5 is more realistic cause it deforms like a real car. Grid damage is just ''scripted''

Its not more realistic but its indeed real time deformation. while games like Forza have a scripted damage system. As For burnout and other games.

first of all there are the restrictions from the manufacturers and secondly. Imagine Kaz would be able to do it. Then he would just model the whole car not only the exterior. He would render every screw and that would takes years to finish only a handful of cars. So dont wish for it XD

I dont know about that. Forza 3 for example has many of these same manufacturers, and the damage in that game is pretty serious. You can completely brake a car down in many ways, and all 450+ cars in that game have full physical and mechanical damage.

I just have a feeling that damage wasnt added to this game until late in the process. I specifically remember just 2 years ago or so they confirmed damage was NOT in GT5. Remember that? Then like a year later it was confirmed to be in, so its probably just tacked on. For a game that actually claims to be a sim, this is pretty unacceptable though. This game isnt really a sim, not like the sims you would play on the PC.

i don't know , but i can't find a other answer for it
because the wrc damage is really awesome , the best damage ever for me

ps: Kaz said that we will get gearbox problems/damage too ,that's awesome
drive the F40 + no aids + S Tyres then you will see if gt5 is a sim or not

Why not have an option to turn it off then, like most games.
Why penalize someone for others.

One can only speculate.

Perhaps it's exploitable in early levels.
Something similar to the tuning menu in prologue.

Perhaps it's a way to reward the player and give them another goal to acheive.

Perhaps it's to make things easier at the beginning for some players.

Who knows for sure.
The one thing that is clear, is that the mechanic is the game.
The doomsayers that were running around yelling that the sky was falling were premature in their conclusions about damage.

Which bit is unacceptable? This whole thread is about trying to understand how the damage system works and the extent of it, since no one has covered it in detail yet. Clearly there is thought to be more to it than what we have seen thus far

a little bit old but from gran-turismo

Physics-Affecting DamageThis is damage in which the physics simulation is affected by alignment deviations, etc. This is damage that affects controllability, meaning that the car may not drive straight, or it might become unstable in corners, depending on the amount of damage. Affects all cars.Dirt, Scratches, and DentsThis is damage that can be visually seen, and involves the body becoming dirty, scratches and dents. This will affects all cars.Separation (dislocation) of Body PanelsThis is damage in which body panels are dislocated from their original positions, or deform. This will affects only Premium Cars.
+we heard tyre/suspension/gearbox/.... damage

-- Forza 3 for example has many of these same manufacturers, and the damage in that game is pretty serious. You can completely brake a car down in many ways --

No matter how hard I've tried, the car would always move, even though the telemetry says 100% engine damage etc. The mechanical damage is good enough for me, just not realistic!

a little bit old but from gran-turismo

Physics-Affecting DamageThis is damage in which the physics simulation is affected by alignment deviations, etc. This is damage that affects controllability, meaning that the car may not drive straight, or it might become unstable in corners, depending on the amount of damage. Affects all cars.Dirt, Scratches, and DentsThis is damage that can be visually seen, and involves the body becoming dirty, scratches and dents. This will affects all cars.Separation (dislocation) of Body PanelsThis is damage in which body panels are dislocated from their original positions, or deform. This will affects only Premium Cars.
+we heard tyre/suspension/gearbox/.... damage

precisely my point 👍

One thing which occurs to me reading this is surely if damage doesnt affect standard cars in the same way it will be an advantage to use standard cars in the damageable races? Just a thought::indiff:

precisely my point 👍

One thing which occurs to me reading this is surely if damage doesnt affect standard cars in the same way it will be an advantage to use standard cars in the damageable races? Just a thought::indiff:

I assumed that only applied to visual damage.
Mechanical damage would be across the board.

Back