The damage system in GT5 (update : Mechanical Damage arrived only for online races)

• Thread starter DoctorFouad
  • 1,071 comments
juhaniman - if thats the case, why does NFS destroy the cars? or Forza?

is it because the manufacturers of these cars know that forza and nfs are purley arcade games so therfore dont represent real life so it doesnt matter about totalling their cars?.... (see what i did there :P)

here is a quick vid i did of LFS' low speed damage model.

Gravedigging from the first page, but I very much like this one. It shows how reactive damage is to relative speed. Small impacts cause damage, but only minor amounts. Then when he smacked sidelong into the wall, the front left side of his bumper got crunched inwards.

I think that video is very useful. Kudos ;)

I wonder how close to life the numbers will be, imagine paying for a full engine rebuild on an F1 car every 600miles!

(Based on average F1 race being 200miles, 8 engines per season.)

Owch. Makes me wonder. Sometimes I hope they don't go overboard with some cars and stuff like that, especially for F1 and some Racers.

IMO GT5 is more realistic cause it deforms like a real car. Grid damage is just ''scripted''
GT5 looks horrid. There's no paint damage, all we have is really bad deformation. GTA IV had better deformation, much better, as well as paint scratching. Sure GRID is scripted, but it looks much better.

GT5 looks horrid. There's no paint damage, all we have is really bad deformation. GTA IV had better deformation, much better, as well as paint scratching. Sure GRID is scripted, but it looks much better.

Dude with the things that you can do to the cars in gta 4 .. its not really a good comparison ....:nervous:...

i mean its gta 4 ...

I'm talking basic deformation. GT5's is extreme enough - I'm not talking about extremeties. What I'm saying is that GTA IV's is always better.
Basically, PD got it wrong, and it looks silly. R* got it right.

From what I've observed looking at multiple screenshots/videos of GT5's damage system in action, I have come to the conclusion that it is purely component based. It looks like the artists used free form deformation when building the lods for the damage components. I can actually tell mostly by just looking at how the damage was done on that lancer, it's clearly FFD. Usually when doing damage lods it goes as follows $lod1_Norm , $lod2_Medium, $lod3_heavy; corresponding to the damage on the component. This isn't a bad thing, but it does mean that the damage will not be as realistic as it could be.

I seriously did a physical facepalm when I read this page. You guys cannot seriously be comparing GTA's cars to GT5's...I cannot believe this, I really cannot...

I'm talking basic deformation. GT5's is extreme enough - I'm not talking about extremeties. What I'm saying is that GTA IV's is always better.
Basically, PD got it wrong, and it looks silly. R* got it right.

I agree i spend like at least 50 hours just wrecking cars by driving them off ramps and landing into cars to watch the deformation damage it was amazing. Getting a semi truck and the compact and smashing it into the wall so many times where it would look like a pan cake and you couldn't even get into it.. GT5s damage defiantly disappointed me.

I agree i spend like at least 50 hours just wrecking cars by driving them off ramps and landing into cars to watch the deformation damage it was amazing. Getting a semi truck and the compact and smashing it into the wall so many times where it would look like a pan cake and you couldn't even get into it.. GT5s damage defiantly disappointed me.

Except in GT5 you SHOULDN'T be pancaking your car into a wall with a semi. Hell, NO racing sim on consoles allows you to do that. Go play Burnout Paradise if you want that; Criterion made that game for a reason.

Stick with GTA4 if thats what you wan't then.....No garbage trucks in GT5 sorry guys.

Except in GT5 you SHOULDN'T be pancaking your car into a wall with a semi. Hell, NO racing sim on consoles allows you to do that. Go play Burnout Paradise if you want that; Criterion made that game for a reason.

typical fan boy..... Wrecks are a part of racing they happen in nearly every race and gt5s damage is simply a joke. losing control going 150mph+ into a wall and still be able to drive a way and only have a little dent in the front is a good laugh. In GTA4 it would be much more realistic your whole front end would be smashed in with the front wheels smashed through the steel making it unable to drive.

From what I've heard about how much time PD spent on simulating damage, and looking at the results, my feelings about GT5's damage are as follows:

It looks like a huge, total waste of time.

GTA? Burnout?
thread makes me..
facepalmly.jpg
This

Maybe they are not finished with it and they will patch it in? But they couldnt wait releasing the game due to christmas? Thats my theory unless someone unvails it soon in the campain

This isn't the people on this page's fault, it's the people who made this game. Have we not read quotes about how unbelievably realistic the damage modeling would be in this game? True or False?

And yet when I see a car go slamming into the freaking wall at very high speeds and is barely effected by it, I tend to think they were SLIGHTLY exaggerating.

If you're promising realistic damage, then deliver it. Period.

You shouldn't be driving in the grass or spinning out either... lets have GT5 not model grass/dirt physics well and make it impossible to spin out... I mean you shouldn't be doing those anyway so no reason to make them realistic in the game!

Know you're just trying to be positive and keep some hope Mech0z but GT5 is here. What we see is the final product and if this is the end result, it seems very wishful thinking that they'll fix it with an extra 3 weeks work :(

I think tekken did one of those in a NASCAR video sometime last week. He went backwards on the track after spinning out, hit another car head on. There was no mechanical consequences and the vehicle looked no different.

Also, the amount of facepalming necessary for the latter half of the previous page is simply impossible to muster.

Back