The General Anime Thread...

• Thread starter Kent
  • 66,789 comments
I still kinda want that Satsuki, badass character.
She really is. I love her fanart too.
10744749_10205162814538250_748506803_n.jpg

On the topic of Kill la kill, my wife finally listened to me and watched it. She found it pretty damn good and of course loved Satsuki. I knew she would, she's just her type of character. So maybe once we're done with the Homuras, we'll cave in for a Satsuki figurine.

And I still can't stomach spending... you know, how much? on a Gally figurine.

I have a feeling he's not referring directly to merchandise. When I read "commercial consideration", that came to me as "the masses". The masses being the people of poor taste who willingly dump paycheques on whatever they can get suckered into. It's mean, but it's true.

That's when the merch comes in. Classic example: Use captivating moe charm to strike the lonely hearts of the otaku population, and then paste illustrations of her on anything you can think of, and it will sell. I think if some these people thought about it for a minute, they'd realize how dumb the marketing scheme is, and how easy they got sold on.

Last edited:
I am going to leave this here:
551874__safe_solo_pinkie+pie_animated_smile_cute_upvotes+galore_happy_on+back_adorable.gif

The Fate/ Stay series expands as they recover the routes via anime and they add more content through visual novels...Red Saber, Saber's son appears in Fate/Acro
Saber_of_Red.png

Last edited:
@TheCorvette, are you forgetting how anti-commercial Evangelion (perhaps barring the first two Rebuild films, which become a whole lot less commercial in light of the third movie) actually is? Because if you are then I suggest that you shove it in your DVD player and remind yourself. Seriously.

If any media franchise becomes massively popular then merchandise and spin offs and sequels and the such like will abound. That's capitalism. Doesn't change the fact that the core of the franchise (the anime) is a show about
a kid who doesn't get over his self esteem issues and gets PTSD instead before turning into tang; a sexual predator who gets shot, explodes, and then turns into tang; a bully who eventually becomes so depressed that they fall into a coma after trying to kill themselves by slashing their wrists in an empty bathtub in a derelict building before briefly recovering only to be horrifically mutilated and have their entrails eaten by harpies before turning into tang, a girl who has no idea how to express herself and never really learns to before growing to an absurdly vast size before falling into vast bloody chunks; a pathetic man who obsesses so much over his dead wife that he winds up severely abusing his son before having his head bitten off by his dead wife and turning into tang; an entire planet of people who hug and turn into tang; and a main character who doesn't actually appear on screen until the last five episodes before turning into a freaking god without half of the audience realising that they've turned into a god.

That doesn't sound very commercial to me.

I would say that what Asuka really needs is comprehensive treatment for the swathe of mental illnesses that she is inflicted with. Same for Shinji. Rei and Misato could do with a fair bit of help too.

I would say that what Asuka really needs is comprehensive treatment for the swathe of mental illnesses that she is inflicted with. Same for Shinji. Rei and Misato could do with a fair bit of help too.

And what better treatment than some sweet cuddling with Mari?

@TheCorvette, are you forgetting how anti-commercial Evangelion (perhaps barring the first two Rebuild films, which become a whole lot less commercial in light of the third movie) actually is? Because if you are then I suggest that you shove it in your DVD player and remind yourself. Seriously.

If any media franchise becomes massively popular then merchandise and spin offs and sequels and the such like will abound. That's capitalism. Doesn't change the fact that the core of the franchise (the anime) is a show about
a kid who doesn't get over his self esteem issues and gets PTSD instead before turning into tang; a sexual predator who gets shot, explodes, and then turns into tang; a bully who eventually becomes so depressed that they fall into a coma after trying to kill themselves by slashing their wrists in an empty bathtub in a derelict building before briefly recovering only to be horrifically mutilated and have their entrails eaten by harpies before turning into tang, a girl who has no idea how to express herself and never really learns to before growing to an absurdly vast size before falling into vast bloody chunks; a pathetic man who obsesses so much over his dead wife that he winds up severely abusing his son before having his head bitten off by his dead wife and turning into tang; an entire planet of people who hug and turn into tang; and a main character who doesn't actually appear on screen until the last five episodes before turning into a freaking god without half of the audience realising that they've turned into a god.

That doesn't sound very commercial to me.
Then where does say Mobile Suit Gundam fit? It's been about selling toys since the late 1970's...... We even had one that made it extremely blatant to even the most ignorant of people that it was about selling toys.

Neon Genesis Evangelion is an absolutely fantastic series, one of my all-time favorites that's nearly a masterpiece, but that doesn't change the fact that I know how much of a cash cow it is. Not to mention how it probably was supposed to sell toys initially when it first aired.

I know how much of a cash cow it is.

Yes. NGE is a cash cow. The fact that it became a cash cow is remarkable considering the fact that if you showed it to almost any random person on the street they would probably think that it was a deliberate attempt at commercial suicide on Gainax's part.

DK
And what better treatment than some sweet cuddling with Mari?

Hmm... I'm fairly certain that cognitive behavioural therapy is a better treatment for PTSD than being hugged by a perverted... Whatever Mari is supposed to be called.

Back